Un-official GTPlanet BBC Topgear UK ThreadTV 

• Thread starter ExigeEvan
  • 10,125 comments
Much better episode this week for me. Seeing the old and new McLaren certainly helps (also Evans getting a bit emotional at Extra Gear - it's nice to see he can be un-shouty too). The SUV test was also more entertaining than last week's challenge. EJ not really adding anything, but the interactions between the 3 seemed a lot more natural this time round. Skipped SIARPC as usual. And uh, Extra Gear is a bit drab this week with only a little Chris Harris. Don't really care about the comedian guest either.

The only way to go is up from last week, and they certainly have improved on that. Still not quite as good as Old New TG, but I can see them creating their own "brand" so to speak. If they survive this season, I can see them gaining a following after 2-3 seasons once the old TG is forgotten and the Amazon show can coexist peacefully with this one.

Through ways not permissible here due to the AUP. Extra Gear is impossible to find as well.
Actually, its very easy to find Extra Gear ( but because the AUP, not permissible to say how), just finished watching it and episode 2 , I posted this on Final Gear

Little bit better from last week, but still has a long way to go, did see a big improvement in Matt, at this point, he is the only saving grace outside of the production team.
Segment 1, decent , enjoyed it.
Segment 2, f first part of the SUV challenge, started off ok.
Segment 3, what ever its being called star car, skipped it, cant comment.
Final segment, SUV p2, and the only decent part was the final bit up the switch back road.

Extra Gear, somewhat more enjoyable than the main course, but something thats starting to be noticeable is, that TG and TGEG is starting to focus more on the people than the cars, maybe it was just this week, so I am going to hold out and see how the rest of the shows are, but so far, it seems like TG is turning into a show about people . My biggest complaint is they are just way to many talking heads for a show about cars, its just not needed. But lets see how it goes from here.

I will say, the guy who is hosting Extra Gear, whos name escapes me right is very good, and makes watching EG enjoyable.

I laughed at the "Chris Evans got hospitalized due to overexcitement on last episode" gag on the start.

An improvement for the beginning of the show for me

It did seem to improve a good bit, and provided some good entertainment. The weakest point was Evan's segment on the McLaren. Unfortunately I think this will continue through the seasons. Also, the voting on the best first and best best car is pretty painful. From these first two episodes, the cars are usually not even close.

Got to admit that was much better, with the extra people we didn't have to put up with Evans as much making it a better watch.

I enjoyed the 2nd episode much more than the 1st! Chris Evans is still far too loud and exciteable though. LeBlanc, on the other hand, I'm finding really entertaining to watch. Swap Evans for Harris and I could watch this new version for hours.

BBC
The audience for the latest episode of Top Gear dropped by more than a third, compared with last week's series debut.

An average of 2.8 million viewers tuned in to the second instalment of the new series on Sunday evening - 1.6 million fewer than the first episode.

Viewing peaked at 3.3 million just before the BBC Two show ended, overnight figures show.

Presenter Chris Evans said viewing figures would be higher when on-demand services were taken into account.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36458510

I enjoyed the latest episode, but SIARPC was even worse than last week, which in turn was worse than it was in the later seasons of Clarkson/Hammond/May TG.

Beaten by Antiques Roadshow this week! To be fair, AR probably won't get as much boost from iplayer viewings, but anyway for TG how many of those are naughty people outside the UK, I wonder.

Having Evans silent at the start improved the show immensely :D

Positive: Much closer to being on par with old-new Top Gear.

Negative: That includes the missable SIARC studio bit which didn't drag so much as feel incredibly rushed and crowded and once again SHOUTY.

Extra was alright-ish. After a few minutes it didn't feel much like necessary viewing compared to week one. All I remembered from last night was the Glickenhaus footage showing the SCG 003 instead of Harris' P4/5. Don't assume that that little discrepancy didn't bug some race fans out there. :P

Extra was alright-ish. After a few minutes it didn't feel much like necessary viewing compared to week one. All I remembered from last night was the Glickenhaus footage showing the SCG 003 instead of Harris' P4/5. Don't assume that that little discrepancy didn't bug some race fans out there. :P

My mouth may have projected some naughty words towards the screen at that moment.

I actually enjoyed the second episode of the show! Evans seemed a little calmer, and when he's not turned all the way up I don't mind him. LeBlanc is an okay guy and clearly not bad behind the wheel, and Eddie Jordan is someone I've always enjoyed for various reasons, and not all of them are the Jordan 191.

The SIARPC stuff still bugs me. I'm fine with the rallycross lap but the actual studio segment is a let down.

Out of the regular 'main show' hosts, I'd argue that Jordan, Evans and LeBlanc could be the best 'three piece' dynamic available if you discount Harris and Reid from the potential equation.

That's the live ratings though, in fairness* the first episode had about 9 million viewers when all services were included.

*I don't know why I'm sticking up for them, I'm really not feeling the TG love right now :)

Them quoting the all services total is kind of a cop out because people have been embracing other forms of media consumption such as catch-up for some time and this is nothing new. The iPlayer has been around for 8 years and they never needed to quote anything other than live figures to make the viewership look good in the past.

For one of the BBC's most expensive shows and with considerable hype and branding behind it the live figures, especially for a rebirth, are disappointing. Having said that last night was Soccer Aid so maybe that put a slightly dent on the prime demographic.

they never needed to quote anything other than live figures to make the viewership look good in the past.

They probably did though. Most of the figures bandied about come from the BARB, you can look them up yourself if you want. They now quote 6.42 million for the first Episode, and that's from the same source with comparable figures as this wiki page which handily consolidates recent figures to one page (though they're still using a news article to quote 4.4 for Ep1, rather than the same source used for the previous 20 seasons or so). This puts the first episode on par with last season (which did include the incident with the nationalistic Argies, and the 'final' episode -- perhaps two of the most talked about events in TG history at the time!)

To be fair no one really expected the 1st episode to have low viewer-ship, it's how it keeps it over the season that will determine it's fate.

Yup ^ What he said :D

Of course, said slightly tongue in cheek, but I don't think Evan's deserves even 50% of the flack he's getting, and I don't even like him.

One thing I have noticed with TGs both old-new and new-new, is that half the cars on the show seem to have been at Goodwood Festival of Speed the previous year, for example the old F1 Long Tail...
SAM_7400.JPG

and the new 675 LT

SAM_7401.JPG

were both on display last year...
(They didn't have the F-Pace there though).

Whatever could be on next week? The Hoonigan? :lol:

SAM_7350.JPG
SAM_7352.JPG

Pretty decent episode this week, Jensen needs to do this after he quits F1, he's got the looks, personality and driving down. Really enjoyed the Mclaren segment with him.

The South Africa bit kept me entertained (all six had decent chemistry). Problem is I still keep thinking to myself this would've been funnier with the old trio, will eventually get over that when GT gets aired.

Matt Le Blanc has sold me completely, best host by far.

I watched it, I enjoyed it actually. It was midly entretaining.
The McLaren segment was a bit weak, but there was a noticeble improvment on Chris Evans, keep the enthusiasm, lower the voice and don't spit out the brochure, and he can be good. And remember when Button could have a role in Top Gear because of contractual doubts with McLaren. Well, he is rather good at reviewing.
The SUV segment was very entretaining, I liked Eddie, very quirky guy. Matt proves once more that he is quite handy behind the wheel and Evans is a bit irritating. Liked the inclusion of the stars within the film, brought another touch, I think.
SIARPC is still a bloody mess. The track is good, the way it's done, it's just ridiculous.
Studio parts are horrible, heavily scripted and the duo is a bit tied down. Outside it's where they can shine, they have more script flexability.
And the production and filming are just fantastic.
@sirjim73 as a matter of fact, you are right. We'll have the Hoonigan, The F12tdf and Rory.
Speaking of Rory he did very nicely conducting Extra Gear, but it can get a bit boring fast. And I liked the way he mocked that Chris Harris hostlity, that some of us detected. And they kinda bent the show ans that comidian became a sorte of co-host, that was well planned. And Extra Gear is still better than the main show, but Top Gear has improved.

Slightly off topic but is the 675LT actually a long tail? The proportions look remarkably similar to the 650

Slightly off topic but is the 675LT actually a long tail? The proportions look remarkably similar to the 650

IIRC, it's about 1.5 inches longer than the 650S.

not really that much of a long tail but hey ho

According to Wikipedia they have the same wheelbase while the 675 is 1mm longer and 198mm wider.

I've put aside the fanboy bull:censored: and just accepted the show as it is. I'm not going to address the new crew because at this point I couldn't really care. All the same points have been raised and discussed over a dozen times so I'm not going to comment and aid in turning this into one of those Gran Turismo critique/wish threads.

Let's be honest here, we never really watched TG for the presenters; we always watched it for the cars. Sure, the trio was a nice plus because we, in a way, grew up with them so they're kinda like family (I personally can't think of other shows where the fanbase refers to its presenters by their nicknames). No one really likes change, especially when it comes to family. However, we know The Grand Tour is coming soon hosted by the familiar muppets.

With that being said, I really like the new TG. It had a horrid first episode but they're bouncing back. Really enjoyed this episode and am looking forward for next week's episode.

This episode is getting quite a lot of flak on FinalGear for some reason.

Evans has certainly improved (his studio segments); he is less shouty and annoying but there are still ways for him to go. LeBlanc was just as good as he was last week, and I still feel that he is currently the best presenter. I've never heard of Eddie Jordan, but he seems like a fun character. I'm looking forward to seeing him more.

As for the episode, the McLaren review was okay. Evans was meh but the guest driver really improved that segment for me. The SUV road trip was very good. I felt a lot of chemistry between the hosts and the special guests and in some ways reminded me of Top Gear US. It was genuinely fun to watch. I felt that the guest musicians would be suitable hosts. Sharleen, Steve, and Tinie Tempah were all great personalities.

I knew who Damian Lewis was but that wasn't enough to keep me watching more than 30 seconds of the SIARPC bit. Still crap, sadly.

I felt that this episode is better than a handful of the CHM episodes from their later series, frankly.

Last edited:
Back