Under Appreciated Cars.

Tina Branford

(Banned)
United States
United States
Hello everyone this topic here is about what are the cars in GT1 that you like that are for the most part underrated by many people.

For me the underrated cars I like are as follows...

Normal Spec Dodge Copperhead Concept full tuned: I won the All Night II endurance with it. It produced a best lap of 1:53:564 and it handled like a dream.

Fully tuned [R]1996 Chevrolet Corvette GS: I won the All Night I Endurance with it and it handled really good with my set-up and made a best lap of 1:43:340.

Fully tuned [R]Chevrolet Camaro Z28: It lacks straight away speed but it's light weight and unique feel give it great cornering ability. It won the Uk vs Japan race for me.

Share with me your liked cars that may or may not generally be underrated.

Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R -- Once you get lots of power and the stickiest tyres you can get, this is FAST.

I should give that Impreza a whirl sometime. For some reason I've never been to into the Imprezas or Lancers in Gran Turismo.

I have also been testing my Mazda Cosmo 20B fully tuned at the TC to see it's top speed. So far I got it to top out at 238(~383Kph) MPH and I think I can get it higher.

Thanks for the reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dodge Viper RT/10 - with some light tuning it becomes a deadly weapon. I've used it for numerous championships (including the Hard Tuned) and it performed quite well. Another one is the Chaser LM Edition - it's a bit difficult to handle at first, but you'll eventually find out it's pretty useful car once you get used to it. That's what I think :)

Vipers are under-appreciated? I would agree on the Chaser, though, for sure.

I'll have to say the MOST under-appreciated in the first game would certainly have to be the Mazda Demio. Even the A-spec version is rarely ever raced or driven. Most people (myself included) just sold the A-spec over and over again for some quick cash, as I won the Sunday Cup numerous times.

I have no memory of even driving one in the first game, but I did give the Demio a few tries in both GT2 and GT4. They can win races! Assuming such races are Beginner's League, of course, with perhaps a few slower advanced races here and there.

Vipers are under-appreciated? I would agree on the Chaser, though, for sure.

Yeah I would not quite say that they are under-appreciated either. That poor Chaser is indeed hated by many though.

I'll have to say the MOST under-appreciated in the first game would certainly have to be the Mazda Demio. Even the A-spec version is rarely ever raced or driven. Most people (myself included) just sold the A-spec over and over again for some quick cash, as I won the Sunday Cup numerous times.

I have no memory of even driving one in the first game, but I did give the Demio a few tries in both GT2 and GT4. They can win races! Assuming such races are Beginner's League, of course, with perhaps a few slower advanced races here and there.

Oh yeah the Demio is really hated I don.t like it to much either, but I must just lack the right set-up for it. Mine likes to try to fly when it hits the smallest bumps and it bounces like a bouncy ball too. What is your set-up for that car, because I want a good handling Demio.

NOTE: If I remember correctly they are darn good lightweight K-Cup cars in GT2 though.

Set up? For a Demio? Sheesh I don't remember, it's been so long! Like I said, I never raced one in GT, but I did in GT2. I probably just put a sports suspension under there, stiffened up the dampers, added some camber front & rear, and that's it!

They don't need much tuning...you just gotta keep them from swaying and leaning so much .

Set up? For a Demio? Sheesh I don't remember, it's been so long! Like I said, I never raced one in GT, but I did in GT2. I probably just put a sports suspension under there, stiffened up the dampers, added some camber front & rear, and that's it!

They don't need much tuning...you just gotta keep them from swaying and leaning so much .

I see what you were saying now. Yep in GT2 I liked using them they were really good in that game but I only have issues with them in GT1 but oh well.

I also really like the fully tuned [R]Subaru Alcyone SVX and [R]Mitsubishi Eclipse GT(this won the 300KM Grand Valley Endurance.)

I see what you were saying now. Yep in GT2 I liked using them they were really good in that game but I only have issues with them in GT1 but oh well.

I also really like the fully tuned [R]Subaru Alcyone SVX and [R]Mitsubishi Eclipse GT(this won the 300KM Grand Valley Endurance.)

In my current garage I have a 321 HP Mitsubishi Eclipse, its a really good car.

Or you can just go with it, and spend a lot of time on two wheels without a lot of loss of time.

Figures for Maxed Demio A spec
* http://gt2toxs.webring.com/gt/diary/1999-02-02.html
Observations of License tests and Demios.
* http://gt2toxs.webring.com/gt/diary/1999-02-23.html
Demio Results, Inspired by Newsgroup Postings
* http://gt2toxs.webring.com/gt/diary/1999-08-06.html
More Demio Racing
* http://gt2toxs.webring.com/gt/diary/1999-08-08.html

Note that the North American Demio Aspec is much more formidable than the European (PAL) version.

I eventually learned to drive more effectively than my early diary entries would indicate.

Last edited:
Whoa that is some ancient internet content! Your journals are pretty neat there, I am surprised your site has not disappeared into cyberspace yet.

SVX
Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R -- Once you get lots of power and the stickiest tyres you can get, this is FAST.

I can't remember if it was this model, but I remember me and a friend drove one of the Subarus ALL the time.
The acceleration was just FANTASTIC.
Not as good top speed as the TVR Cerbera LM Edition but exceptional handling.

Whoa that is some ancient internet content! Your journals are pretty neat there, I am surprised your site has not disappeared into cyberspace yet.
Actually the webring people rescued the old geocities pages.

And prior to that, geocities was the longest lasting of primitive free pages.

On top of that, the site was a copy of something I created locally (which makes correcting typos difficult, actually) so I have a working copy on my PDA and could theoretically upload it to a new server if a new service with simple upload was created.

On then there's the waybackmachine...
http://wayback.archive.org/
http://web.archive.org/web/20091016215907/http://geocities.com/gt2toxs/

It's difficult to believe people go to all that work to keep crap like this around.

Ah. Most of my diary isn't actually there.

On top of that, the site was a copy of something I created locally (which makes correcting typos difficult, actually) so I have a working copy on my PDA and could theoretically upload it to a new server if a new service with simple upload was created.

It's difficult to believe people go to all that work to keep crap like this around.

SO you are that man on GT2toXS??? Oh My Frying Pan!!!! I want to talk to you so much now!! I didn't know you were that man!! :D

Ooooh alrighty I see what your saying.

Isn't that way back machine a trip to use? I like to use it and visit old sites from way back in the day for purely nostalgical reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't that way back machine a trip to use? I like to use it and visit old sites from way back in the day for purely nostalgical reasons.

I used it once to acquire some javascript for a sudokusolver site which was taken down. (Comments in the source said it was GNU GPL).

Toyota Mark II Type V - I love this car. It's like a Diet Chaser and it's a fun, pendulum-like shed of a car that I've always liked. Especially in green.

Mazda Cosmo 20B - Under appreciated because of the power disparency between itself and the other members of the 276 club like the Skyline or GTO. 660hp < 800+hp, which is a shame because it's a really good car to drive.

TVR Griffith - For me it seems to live in the shadow of the Cerbera. Controlling a drift around GVS in this bad boy is a wonderful feeling.

The Camaro. Sure, it was less than hero in the power department, especially considering it can make over 700 hp in GT2, but it handled great and was always lovely to dominate the pesky Impreza in the Japan US.

And many of those FWD coupes. Those can take on the best. I've had some fun in an Integra up against the Japan US.

1997 Mitsubishi Galant VR4 - Still one of my favorite cars to use. A bit of a handful to drive in normal spec, the rear of the car would get too twitchy under high speed braking. But with full racing suspension, all transmission mods done, soft racing slicks, racing modification (and proper downforce for the rear) Computer chip, port and polish, racing exhaust and just a stage 1 turbo (390HP) I dominated the Japan VS UK/USA matches, and did well in the Grand Valley 300KM as well.

1996 Toyota Soarer 2.5 GT-T - While it did make good power, it was a heavy luxury coupè. I had to reduce the weight to stage 3 to really make it a competitor in the Hard Tuned series, but when making big power, it was a cruise missile in the straights. Did well in the top speed series as well.

1997 Aston Martin DB7 Coupè - When it came to the "high end" cars in GT1, the DB7 always seemed overshadowed by the Vipers, TVRs Corvettes, Skylines and GTOs. I loved this car fully modified, with race modification. While only Amaking 424HP, it didn't behave like it. It kept up with the much faster TVR Cerbera, TVR Griffith, Viper RT/10, Corvette, Camaro Z/28, Impreza Rally, R32 Skyline GT-R found in the VS series.

1997 Mitsubishi Galant VR4 - Still one of my favorite cars to use. A bit of a handful to drive in normal spec, the rear of the car would get too twitchy under high speed braking. But with full racing suspension, all transmission mods done, soft racing slicks, racing modification (and proper downforce for the rear) Computer chip, port and polish, racing exhaust and just a stage 1 turbo (390HP) I dominated the Japan VS UK/USA matches, and did well in the Grand Valley 300KM as well.

Agreed. But I'm not a fan of the DB7. I just couldn't get to grips with how cumbersome it is. And it was never good competition because the AI was pants with it.

Now, you see, the RT/10 was always great for me. How odd.

I think the RT/10 itself was under appreciated because it was far easier to pick the GTS. I find the RT/10 handles slightly better and has less wheelspin than the GTS at low speed.

Agreed. But I'm not a fan of the DB7. I just couldn't get to grips with how cumbersome it is. And it was never good competition because the AI was pants with it.

I tried the DB7 Volante in Arcade Mode recently and it's not as bad as I've heard being said. It is just terrible in high speed corners but it's OK in the sharper corners provided you can prevent it spinning.

Another one is the Chaser LM Edition - it's a bit difficult to handle at first, but you'll eventually find out it's pretty useful car once you get used to it. That's what I think :)

I completely forgot this actually existed until it was mentioned now. I think it's the only non-buyable LM not in my garage currently besides the LM Concept Car, but you can't forget that :sly:

Last edited:
Haha, I liked the Viper, but never picked it since it just seemed too..."easy" if you will, as a superior car over the competition. I have this odd facination with using cars that shouldn't be the faster ones (like the DB7) and tweaking them to dominate. But that's just me.

Toughest car I had to get to be victorious in the VS series, a fully modded 1990 Nissan Primera. I never always won every race, but I was consistantly 3rd or higher. The opponents' places would fluctuate more, and my consistancy usually paid off.

I have an odd fun factor with GT1 lol

Is the Chaser LM under appreciated? I've always held it in high regard and thought others did so too. It's a great car to drive.

Is the Chaser LM under appreciated? I've always held it in high regard and thought others did so too. It's a great car to drive.

I wouldn't say under appreciated, just I completely forgot it existed in all my time of not owning it. It's certainly my most forgotten LM of them all - and it didn't return in GT2 (though a ton of others are hidden in very hard to reach prizes) so I wouldn't have remembered it from there either :lol:

Latest Posts

Back