Unfair!!!

WWEVOIX
Ok, I signed up here just to say this, and I'm not one to usually speak their mind on a forum, but....

This competition is not fair. There needed to be a standerd controller that everyone must use. You can't compare the top 100 or even top 1000 guys with the whole steering wheel hookup with someone using your standard Ps3 controller. To make this competition truly about the top talent and ability, there needed to be a standardized controller for everyone. It's like a 600hp car going against a 300 hp car. Just not equal. I cracked the top 1800 overall with a ps3 controller, and loaded the top times just to see, and you can't comapre them, period. Your expensive steering aparatus has at the very least, ten times more throttle control, not to mention any other benefit...steering, braking, etc... After watching the top times, you can hit throttle earlier coming out of a turn, you can moderate throttle on medium turns, etc...etc....etc... It's just unfair and I'm pretty upset after spending so much time just to find out I'm playing on an unequal playing field. You got to go spend more $$$$ just to compete. Really????? That's not about talent! Hope GT5 is listening...

Rant done.

To be honest though, most of us who purchased wheel setups over the years in my opinion are those who have the love and passion for this series. Not to mention most likely all the top drivers you see have been playing GT since the first one was released and / or who autocross and compete with their real cars.

Ok, I signed up here just to say this, and I'm not one to usually speak their mind on a forum, but....

This competition is not fair. There needed to be a standerd controller that everyone must use. You can't compare the top 100 or even top 1000 guys with the whole steering wheel hookup with someone using your standard Ps3 controller. To make this competition truly about the top talent and ability, there needed to be a standardized controller for everyone. It's like a 600hp car going against a 300 hp car. Just not equal. I cracked the top 1800 overall with a ps3 controller, and loaded the top times just to see, and you can't comapre them, period. Your expensive steering aparatus has at the very least, ten times more throttle control, not to mention any other benefit...steering, braking, etc... After watching the top times, you can hit throttle earlier coming out of a turn, you can moderate throttle on medium turns, etc...etc....etc... It's just unfair and I'm pretty upset after spending so much time just to find out I'm playing on an unequal playing field. You got to go spend more $$$$ just to compete. Really????? That's not about talent! Hope GT5 is listening...

Rant done.

I understand your frustration, but this a competition intended to find real life drivers. Also, please stop complaining about the cost of a driving wheel. I paid $100 for my DFGT, new, 1/3 the cost of the minimum $300 PS3 that you own also. Just like in real life racing, you need to pay to play. And if you want a chance at becoming a real life racer, and many other benefits of doing well in this competition, you'll realize the $100 is a minuscule investment compared to all of the great things you could potentially earn from GT Academy. If you can't understand this, then the Academy is simply not meant for you.

Do You want everybody to use DS3 then (which would be just ridiculous as its a simulator) or would You want somebody to give You their g25/27s or fanatecs to make it fair.
Choose one, we will all do as You say

Sorry if it sounds rude, but geez Im upset about for example not having an opportunity to fight for the SLS in the signature edition challenge because for me spending 200 bucks or something like that for an aluminium box with a dvd is just too much, but i keep it to myself and im not complaining about others that actually paid for the signature edition and have the right to participate.
Same here...

Do you use a TV screen for a windshield in real life?:sly:
Anyway you can make it out of the first round with the controller. I just did it. Plus if you made it to the finals you would have to use the wheel. It's just a big marketing scheme. To sell more wheels/cars.

I have to agree, the capability with the wheel and pedal setup is far beyond that of the DS3 or any other hand controller out there.

The gap is so large, they really should be seperated.

I doubt there is anyway its going to happen though.

If they were to choose to use only one controller than it would definetely have been a wheel since they are searching for a "real driver". That would eliminate the controller users all together. At least they are giving controller users a chance to compete. Skills with a controller will get you nowhere in the finals.

Rant done.

i agree with you that they should seperate ppl on ds3 vs wheels but i made it with a ds3 controller and im 16th overall in my region so if i can make it that far, so can you:tup:

I can't believe this is an issue still being brought up. Like people have been saying, buy a DFGT for under $100. It's a bargain when you consider how much better you may do.

i agree with you that they should seperate ppl on ds3 vs wheels but i made it with a ds3 controller and im 16th overall in my region so if i can make it that far, so can you:tup:

*edit* Nice! So it can be done :)

If they were to choose to use only one controller than it would definetely have been a wheel since they are searching for a "real driver". That would eliminate the controller users all together.

I don't agree.
Most if not all the wheel drivers in the Academy were probably former controller users and likely very good with a controller as well.
Once adjusted to the transition, they can merely take it a step further.

At least they are giving controller users a chance to compete. Skills with a controller will get you nowhere in the finals.

This is certainly true.

I totally agree with the TC on this one. This competition is unfair! There is no way a pad user can be as fast as a wheel user. (Well, except for Davey_skills, who is probably the most accomplished video game racer ever, won the 2010 WCG in FM3 as well as countless other tournaments across several different racing games, all while using a CONTROLLER...but anyway.) Not only that, but what about those people with these new fancy "HDTV"s...or whatever they call them. This is the television I have to use...

TV.jpg

There is no doubt in my mind that if I had a "flat panel" set in widescreen format with all the neat colors instead of just black and white, Id be just as fast as all these guys in the top 10. To quote the TC, "I'm playing on an unequal playing field! You got to go spend more $$$$ just to compete. Really?????"

Yah, I do have a Logitech Driving Force Pro that I got on eBay for $40, but if I had a decent television I'd be unstoppable.

Or, maybe I'm just looking for an excuse for why I can't be as fast as everyone else. Who knows...

I totally agree with the TC on this one. This competition is unfair! There is no way a pad user can be as fast as a wheel user. (Well, except for Davey_skills, who is probably the most accomplished video game racer ever, won the 2010 WCG in FM3 as well as countless other tournaments across several different racing games, all while using a CONTROLLER...but anyway.) Not only that, but what about those people with these new fancy "HDTV"s...or whatever they call them. This is the television I have to use...

TV.jpg

There is no doubt in my mind that if I had a "flat panel" set in widescreen format with all the neat colors instead of just black and white, Id be just as fast as all these guys in the top 10. To quote the TC, "I'm playing on an unequal playing field! You got to go spend more $$$$ just to compete. Really?????"

Yah, I do have a Logitech Driving Force Pro that I got on eBay for $40, but if I had a decent television I'd be unstoppable.

Or, maybe I'm just looking for an excuse for why I can't be as fast as everyone else. Who knows...

lol...

Mine is bigger.

Not by much, but still. :sly:

There are some incredibly skilled controller users out there... but in the end, if you are serious about competition, you will pay to play.

It's the same in Motorsports. You can't just enter any car in any random autocross and kick butt out of the gates. You will need to see what the competition are driving and you will need to set yourself up with something similar or better.

Given what the prize is, a small investment in even a cheap wheel should go a long way towards helping you win. Or at least not get beaten so badly.

DS3 user here.

Mine is bigger.

Not by much, but still. :sly:

There are some incredibly skilled controller users out there... but in the end, if you are serious about competition, you will pay to play.

It's the same in Motorsports. You can't just enter any car in any random autocross and kick butt out of the gates. You will need to see what the competition are driving and you will need to set yourself up with something similar or better.

Given what the prize is, a small investment in even a cheap wheel should go a long way towards helping you win. Or at least not get beaten so badly.

DS3 user here.

150 percent agreed

I don't agree.
Most if not all the wheel drivers in the Academy were probably former controller users and likely very good with a controller as well.
Once adjusted to the transition, they can merely take it a step further.

This is certainly true.

Well the leaderboards say a wheel is better by a long shot. I am horrible with a controller. I probably wouldnt even make it to the second round if i had to use one for this game. I can use the controller for other racing games but this game is a totally different beast.

The winner of GT Academy gets a chance to be a racing driver, right? How many real drivers are there who use a gamepad to race? ;)

Just get a wheel, OP. You won't regret it. 👍

I don't agree.
Or they may be experienced with PC driving sims. Or they've done some amount of racing in real life, like Lucas Ordonez. He was a karter but stopped racing when he ran out of funds.

Is a $100 too much to spend on a DFGT?
Wasn't it $150 when it first came out?

Well the leaderboards say a wheel is better by a long shot..

Undoubtedly it is.

I am horrible with a controller. I probably wouldnt even make it to the second round if i had to use one for this game. I can use the controller for other racing games but this game is a totally different beast.

Maybe so, but to declare all controller users would be unqualified as a "real driver" candidate is completely without merit.

Or they may be experienced with PC driving sims. Or they've done some amount of racing in real life, like Lucas Ordonez. He was a karter but stopped racing when he ran out of funds.?

Certainly two of other possibilities.

If you made it to the finals with a controller they would put you onto a wheel, and you probably would be slow since you aren't used to it.

Well the leaderboards say a wheel is better by a long shot. I am horrible with a controller. I probably wouldnt even make it to the second round if i had to use one for this game. I can use the controller for other racing games but this game is a totally different beast.

Hey it took me dozens of hours to transition from a Dualshock 3 to the Driving Force GT Wheel. A wheel does make you much faster because it's more natural and you have more finess with what you do. You can also do a MUCH better job at knowing whether or not your car is losing traction.

Bottom line: GT5 is meant to be used with a wheel, the Dualshock does not do the game justice.

In my opinion, if you own GT5 you should also have a wheel.

I bought my DFGT before GT5 and before I bought my PS3, I planned ahead lol :D

Most racing games are meant to use a wheel. For example, in most of Codemasters games like Dirt 2 and F12010 it is a significant advantage to own a wheel. You can be more consistent easier than wheel a DS3.

Back