Unfair!!!

I would think that the fastest drivers invariably have a wheel.

Yes, it is trickier to use a DS3, but if the OP only got to 1800th position, then I think he needs to learn to drive a bit quicker before complaining. I didn't check everyone in the list of fastest times, but there's a guy in 72nd position using a controller. So, while a controller user is never going to get the best time, a DS3 is capable of taking you higher than 1800th.

I would think that the fastest drivers invariably have a wheel.

Yes, it is trickier to use a DS3, but if the OP only got to 1800th position, then I think he needs to learn to drive a bit quicker before complaining. I didn't check everyone in the list of fastest times, but there's a guy in 72nd position using a controller. So, while a controller user is never going to get the best time, a DS3 is capable of taking you higher than 1800th.

Wise words.

IIRC there was a guy from the GT Academy 2010 who actually ran faster with a controller than every single driver from the US wheel or otherwise...

I'm posting this quite frequently as it seems to be over looked by allot of people.
As advertised, GT5 " The real driving simulator " weather you like the game or agree with the advertised slogan you cannot deny the FACT " You cannot have a driving simulator without a steering wheel " . It is a shame GT5 couldn't be bundled with a wheel although I do understand the reasons why.

To the post about GT Academy being a scam to sell more wheels, Do you think PD or Sony recoups profit from companies like Fanatec selling wheels? I thought GT Academy was to prove GT5's sim aspect was it not ?

I totally agree with the TC on this one. This competition is unfair! There is no way a pad user can be as fast as a wheel user. (Well, except for Davey_skills, who is probably the most accomplished video game racer ever, won the 2010 WCG in FM3 as well as countless other tournaments across several different racing games, all while using a CONTROLLER...but anyway.) Not only that, but what about those people with these new fancy "HDTV"s...or whatever they call them. This is the television I have to use...

TV.jpg

There is no doubt in my mind that if I had a "flat panel" set in widescreen format with all the neat colors instead of just black and white, Id be just as fast as all these guys in the top 10. To quote the TC, "I'm playing on an unequal playing field! You got to go spend more $$$$ just to compete. Really?????"

Yah, I do have a Logitech Driving Force Pro that I got on eBay for $40, but if I had a decent television I'd be unstoppable.

Or, maybe I'm just looking for an excuse for why I can't be as fast as everyone else. Who knows...

yea i just had to upgrade to a newer old TV just like that one. i KNOW id be faster with a 60 inch, hell i cant even read my lap times after i put them down.....

I totally agree with the TC on this one. This competition is unfair! There is no way a pad user can be as fast as a wheel user. (Well, except for Davey_skills, who is probably the most accomplished video game racer ever, won the 2010 WCG in FM3 as well as countless other tournaments across several different racing games, all while using a CONTROLLER...but anyway.) Not only that, but what about those people with these new fancy "HDTV"s...or whatever they call them. This is the television I have to use...

TV.jpg

There is no doubt in my mind that if I had a "flat panel" set in widescreen format with all the neat colors instead of just black and white, Id be just as fast as all these guys in the top 10. To quote the TC, "I'm playing on an unequal playing field! You got to go spend more $$$$ just to compete. Really?????"

Yah, I do have a Logitech Driving Force Pro that I got on eBay for $40, but if I had a decent television I'd be unstoppable.

Or, maybe I'm just looking for an excuse for why I can't be as fast as everyone else. Who knows...

The funny thing is I got more consistent when I changed TV's :)

I'm a bit miffed that I didn't make it to round 2 after spending countless hours practicing. But then again I don't have years experience playing the game and its predecessors. I've got a DFGT so equipment is not my excuse. It simply comes down to driver skill. The top times show that controllers and a variety of wheels could get you to round 2 so I know personally I just need more practice.

Those that own wheels are usually people who have peaked with controllers in the past and just love driving, and if you are unable to shell out the $$$ for a wheel you do not love the game enough to be honest, and by that assumption I doubt you would be able to compete with the top dogs even if you had a wheel.

Wise words.

IIRC there was a guy from the GT Academy 2010 who actually ran faster with a controller than every single driver from the US wheel or otherwise...

To be fair, there was a guy from Japan that was beat by 4 others in the world, 3 Japanese and 1 Frenchman. Using a controller is a destitute reason for being slow.

You know whats not fair? You need to own a PS3 to enter the contest! I mean Wii and Xbox owners have no shot at this; they totally should require a standard system so everyone can play...

:lol:

I still cannot believe the original post in this thread. Everyone has the opportunity to buy a wheel, especially when the DFGT is on sale for $100. I'm pretty sure the people who made round 2 with a controller would agree you don't need a wheel to be fast. I think a more legitimate complaint is how difficult it was to qualify in the West, and how relatively easy it was in the Midwest. (I ended up 123 in the midwest; my time would not have made the cut in any other region) I guess its the world we live in, why own up to something (like poor driving, bad technique, not enough time practicing, lack of skill, etc) when you can make an excuse?

I too had to use my DS3. While I found it a disadvantage, I STILL had a ton of fun competing in GT-A. I think that that is all that matters.

Also, to the OP. Top 1800 is still not good enough to make it to the next round even if you compared your times to only DS3 users...

Since the Academy was open to all registered players, reguardless of the method of control used, you could participate with whichever means at your disposal.

While I suspected the wheel play would likely be better, I didn't realize the disparity would be as great as it turned out to be.

Even if I had known that at the start of GTA, it would have been difficult to get a wheel and pedal setup, transition to that style play, and be probably that much better than with the DS3.
(assuming I was that serious about it)

I think many controller players are upset that they brought the proverbial "knife to a gun fight".
In a way I can't blame them but as said, the contest was open, so it is somewhat whiny to complain about it now.

However the fact still remains that for a level playing field, you would need to seperate the two means of control.

While maybe a little too late in this case, "forewarned is to be forearmed".

However the fact still remains that for a level playing field, you would need to seperate the two means of control.

While maybe a little too late in this case, "forewarned is to be forearmed".

They kinda spelled it out in black and white from the beginning; I'm not sure where the sour grapes come from or even suggesting that input devices would need to be segregated.
For months it has said plainly in the rules that the finals will have everyone on standardized equipment of a DFGT and that DS3 controllers will be banned. Seems to me that they were merely "trowing a bone" to DS3 users to begin with.

They kinda spelled it out in black and white from the beginning; I'm not sure where the sour grapes come from or even suggesting that input devices would need to be segregated.
For months it has said plainly in the rules that the finals will have everyone on standardized equipment of a DFGT and that DS3 controllers will be banned. Seems to me that they were merely "trowing a bone" to DS3 users to begin with.

+1 To get rid of the "unfairness" they could have said that you have to use a DFGT, as it was the only GT5 fully compatible wheel. That would have made it completely "fair"
I imagine we would have had an angry mob of G25/G27 users :D

You know whats not fair? You need to own a PS3 to enter the contest! I mean Wii and Xbox owners have no shot at this; they totally should require a standard system so everyone can play...

I still cannot believe the original post in this thread. Everyone has the opportunity to buy a wheel, especially when the DFGT is on sale for $100. I'm pretty sure the people who made round 2 with a controller would agree you don't need a wheel to be fast. I think a more legitimate complaint is how difficult it was to qualify in the West, and how relatively easy it was in the Midwest. (I ended up 123 in the midwest; my time would not have made the cut in any other region) I guess its the world we live in, why own up to something (like poor driving, bad technique, not enough time practicing, lack of skill, etc) when you can make an excuse?

Your right being in the West I never did got a moments peace, every time I felt safe in the top 100 I’d get blasted back out. The last week was living hell until it was to much to overcome and I just couldn’t make up the .7 to get back in. Last year I could only make it to the top 800 for the GT5 demo qualy so in a year I brought my game up and missed it by that much. This time I was able to hit 159th, 426/512 overall. It just feels kind of wrong but those are the rules. I can still hold my head up knowing that there were over 50k who registered to compete and I’m in the sub 1% of the entire USA. So OP deal with that kind of heart break.

Back in GT HD I had the top drifting scores on all 20 leaderboards for more than couple weeks using the dual shock....but arguing that the people with wheels having an unfair advantage is kind of fitting if you think about it...

...I've not had any experience in racing whatsoever, but I do recall reading dozens of articles and write ups that would suggest that a huge part of being successful in racing is having the financial backing, whether is having your parents pay your way through karting as a youngster, or just having the money to back up what is necessary to learn and practice and enter competitions regularly...

...which makes it pretty close to real life:P

Also, I got my G27, Playseat and gearshift adapter for a total of $280 out of a combination of Luck, Timing, Charisma, Patience and Work.

Honestly, I talked an awesome Playseat rep's ear off at PAX West and in 2 weeks had a free gearshift adapter.

Charisma!

They would have to be segregated for the very reason I stated.
In this game, the wheel is completely superior, to the controller.
No doubt about it.

Therefore if you wanted parity or a level playing field the contest would have to be seperated by controller.

It is admittedly however, irrelevant to this contest as your last two statements indicate.
Or in other words, thats clearly not their intention.

I really could not have said it better myself 👍

Hello,

This is my first post. Nice to meet all of you!!

I thought it would have been cool to divide the competition also. I cannot afford the wheel just yet so I tried it with the controller with the direction pad :(

I ended up #189 in the west and #620 overall. Not too shabby considering I took two weeks off. I thought this competition was really fun. TRC HUNK was sick!! I came really close a couple of times on the Cape but my I lost it on the 2nd to last corner. Anyways, if you are watching TRC, then I am routing for you. Good luck and make us proud :)

I think know matter what we used the top 250 should pat themselves on their backs!

Until next time.

You guys are kidding me, right? The DFGT is $100 in the USA? O.o... it's $160.00 over here! (Puerto Rico). I should just move ¬.¬

EDIT: Plus Tax x.x

Back