Unofficial Official Canada Thread

• Thread starter Juiposa
  • 132 comments
Does Australia have DUI checkpoints? "Agriculture" checkpoints? Smog checkpoints?
Dui and Drugs(using some strip thing for your tongue) they do decibel checkpoints now and then too.

Then there is the relentless Speed cameras, Mobile Speed Cameras, you lose your license instantly if your 40km/h over the limit and you get a mandatory 3 month suspension for 30km/h over the limit(but they give you a few weeks to fight it).

Dui and Drugs(using some strip thing for your tongue) they do decibel checkpoints now and then too.

Then there is the relentless Speed cameras, Mobile Speed Cameras, you lose your license instantly if your 40km/h over the limit and you get a mandatory 3 month suspension for 30km/h over the limit(but they give you a few weeks to fight it).

Here in good ol' CA we have red light cameras but not speed cameras (yet), DUI checkpoints, vehicle emissions checkpoints, agriculture checkpoints to make sure you don't have any plants from out of state that would be considered an invasive species banned here. 4th Amendment rights against warrantless search and seizure do not apply because driving is a privilege and not a right. Land o' the free!

Here in good ol' CA we have red light cameras but not speed cameras (yet), DUI checkpoints, vehicle emissions checkpoints, agriculture checkpoints to make sure you don't have any plants from out of state that would be considered an invasive species banned here. 4th Amendment rights against warrantless search and seizure do not apply because driving is a privilege and not a right. Land o' the free!
We have the Red light Camera integrated with the Speed Camera.

Bit weird that you can't take plants from other states in the same country though, we definitely do not have that here.

We have the Red light Camera integrated with the Speed Camera.

Bit weird that you can't take plants from other states in the same country though, we definitely do not have that here.
Fruit fly exclusion zone?

There are funky laws about transporting alcohol between provinces in Canada too.

So he got right into the theme of a fancy dress party. Big deal.

Possibly unpopular opinion here, but I don't see how painting your face is racist in the context of getting in costume for a party. Going black/brown face to make fun of/ridicule a person or group of people is different, but replicating the appearance (or historically accepted appearance) of a person is not racism IMO.

replicating the appearance (or historically accepted appearance) of a person is not racism IMO.

I disagree, and I thought society was past the stage where we thought it was okay. Trudeau accepts it was racist (his own words), and I think that while he might have ridden out one instance at three instances he probably has to go.

disagree, and I thought society was past the stage where we thought it was okay. Trudeau accepts it was racist (his own words), and I think that while he might have ridden out one instance at three instances he probably has to go
as a person of color myself i will be voting for justin no matter how many times he dressed up as blackface . why you may wonder ? because andrew scheer is a known racist and bigot who refuses to apologize for comparing gay and queer marriage to a dogs tail. further more he has hung around with neo nazis that attended the charlottsville race riots where a woman was murdered by said neo nazis.

add to that the fact he will allow back benchers to bring forward anti abortion bills and he wants to bring in american style gun law lunacy .

so for those reasons and even more i will proudly vote for primeminister brown/ blackface .

oh and heres andrew scheers buddy for more context

here is a conservative party of canada member running for office
https://www.citynews1130.com/2019/0...didate-langley-reportedly-pictured-blackface/

they deny that she was in blackface but they cannot produce a picture of her at the event which was on her property of her not in black as night face

poll tracker which is a avg of all canadian polls updated today still has mr brownface in the lead . https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/elections/poll-tracker/canada

this is going to backfire on the cons simply because justin apology and scheers lack of one for as bad if not worse mistake .

Last edited:
as a person of color myself i will be voting for justin no matter how many times he dressed up as blackface . why you may wonder ? because andrew scheer is a known racist and bigot who refuses to apologize for comparing gay and queer marriage to a dogs tail.

Firstly, people of any color don't get any more share in the rights of defining racism, there are white racists, there are black racists, there are racists and dickheads in every demographic you can think of. Secondly, much of your comment seems to be about "this is okay because there's somebody worse". That doesn't change Trudeau's actions in themselves. Robert Mugabe was more popular than Idi Amin, it amins nothing.

I disagree, and I thought society was past the stage where we thought it was okay. Trudeau accepts it was racist (his own words), and I think that while he might have ridden out one instance at three instances he probably has to go.

Why is it racist if it doesn't ridicule?

Secondly, much of your comment seems to be about "this is okay because there's somebody worse". That doesn't change Trudeau's actions in themselves. Robert Mugabe was more popular than Idi Amin, it amins nothing.
where in my post did i say any of that ? what you ignored was as a person of colour it is more important to vote for someonewho doesnt hang with nazis from charlottsville and wont apologize for calling gay marriage the same as a dogs tail or dogs leg and will not commit to ousting backbenchers who want to change canadas abortion laws , plus who will also ignore first nation land rights than a bad choice in outfit costume.

that is my choice to make and i will proudly vote for pm brownface as a person of colour.
i do find it odd that some people will support a neo nazi over a bad make up job though.

here is a list of well known blackfacers
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_entertainers_who_performed_in_blackface

i sure you will have a post calling out judy garland or ted danson in your posting history i can see ? gene kelly ? jimmy kimmel? i wont be holding my breath though .

where in my post did i say any of that ?

You introduced it as "I am a person of colour" as if it meant something, I pointed out that it didn't.

it is more important to vote for someonewho doesnt hang with nazis from charlottsville and wont apologize for calling gay marriage the same as a dogs tail or dogs leg and will not commit to ousting backbenchers who want to change canadas abortion laws , plus who will also ignore first nation land rights than a bad choice in outfit costume.

I didn't say it wasn't - in fact I didn't address that at all other than to point out that it's irrelevant to Trudeau's actions.

here is a list of well known blackfacers
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_entertainers_who_performed_in_blackface

i sure you will have a post calling out judy garland or ted danson in your posting history i can see ? gene kelly ? jimmy kimmel? i wont be holding my breath though .

If you seriously think that either Judy Garland or Ted Danson are currently the Premier of a large country then... I don't know what to say... perhaps you should have a little lie down?

A racist doesn't have to know they're being racist, that's how the racism of institutions and/or privilege works. Blackface comes out of a history of offensive racial stereotyping (like the zwart piet conversation we have every now and then, and like British Morris dancing in blackface), the whole history of it lies in ridicule. It's like sending a kid to their school's Book Day as Goebbels, they just think they've got a nice armband on their suit, but the history goes to much more than that.

Why is blackface racist if it doesn't ridicule? I am not asking what was done in the past. I am asking about the now.

I want to dress up as Wesley Snipes in Demolition Man.

Wesley-Snipes-Simon-Phoenix-Demolition-Man.jpg

I think he is awesome. Why am I racist when I paint my skin?

You introduced it as "I am a person of colour" as if it meant something, I pointed out that it didn't.
it means something to me and my daughter and gran daughters . i get to decide that , not you . your opinion is just that an opinion as is mine .

i am voting for brownface so a real neo nazi is not elected . if that upsets you i suggest you have a lay down . i choose not to support neo nazis that want more gun deaths , to jail women for wanting a abortion , trampling first nation rights . i play the long game . i will choose that every time .

also try to quote what i said which i never said ted danson or judy garland was a primeminister but i did prove they appeared in blackface and you have looked the other way which suggests you did not like mr brownface before this came out.

the truth of the matter is for me the conservative andrew scheer is a neo nazi bible thumping creep and i will never vote for him based on mr brownfaces bad makeup choices . that is my reality . and i can proudly live with that choice .

my daughter will vote the same based on the same values . just how it is .

it means something to me and my daughter and gran daughters . i get to decide that , not you . your opinion is just that an opinion as is mine .

i am voting for brownface so a real neo nazi is not elected . if that upsets you i suggest you have a lay down . i choose not to support neo nazis that want more gun deaths , to jail women for wanting a abortion , trampling first nation rights . i play the long game . i will choose that every time .

One more time, but more slowly... the fact that you prefer Trudeau to somebody else does not change the nature of blackface. You're becoming confused by an irrelevant issue.

also try to quote what i said which i never said ted danson or judy garland was a primeminister but i did prove they appeared in blackface and you have looked the other way

Source required. Show that I have "looked the other way", please.

which suggests you did not like mr brownface before this came out.

My post history definitely says otherwise.

the truth of the matter is for me the conservative andrew scheer is a neo nazi bible thumping creep and i will never vote for him based on mr brownfaces bad makeup choices . that is my reality . and i can proudly live with that choice .

my daughter will vote the same based on the same values . just how it is .

Quite lovely, but irrelevant.

Well, well, well...

The fact that he regrets his actions says a lot, he was young when he did it and the 90s to early 00s were something of a neutral zone on racism where it wasn't widely and actively carried out or protested against. I certainly won't defend his actions but I also think it's really crappy to bring up something from 20 years ago which he has clearly changed his viewpoint on during election season. The holier than thou tone of your post doesn't help either.

On a separate but related note, this election cycle. None of the 3 major candidates deserve a majority as they all have a major reason(s) they suck. Scheer is appearing to be a puppet for other party members to do the actual running of the country, Trudeau outright lied on his last campaign about changing our election system as when he got in decided it was good enough because he got elected, and he covered for SNC Lavalin. Which brings me to Singh who simply doesn't seem competent enough to run a country. Ever since gaining leadership of the NDP he has had differing views which the party has publicly said they did not agree with, and is hardline holding his party to 50/50 men/women candidates which is not necessarily a good thing.

So my bottom line for this election is that I hope we come out with a minority government so that these three bad candidates have to work together to solve the country's problems, because I don't trust any of them on their own.

It is going to be hilarious in 10-15 years when nobody can run for public office because everyone has posted something stupid on Facebook or Twitter or instagram.

Maybe the Patriot AI in MGS2 was right. We might need a filter to sort out the garbage information that would normally get forgotten in a pre-Information Age world.

Well, I have to admit that the whole "black-face" thing is kind of peculiar.* Why would somebody choose to do that? The "Aladdin" blackface doesn't really seem to be actively racist - more like inherently inappropriate. However, as Novalee points out, it makes more sense to choose your political leaders based on what they do & say in the present, rather than in their youthful past. If Trudeau had made overtly racist comments, or belonged to overtly racist organizations - that would be a different matter.

* I believe I already posted that back in the '60's my parents took us to see the Black & White Minstrels Show in London. My parents were not "racist" - apparently, like millions of other Brits they did not, at the time, see how bizarrely, excruciatingly racist the show was. BBC documentary on the history of the show. Check out the sequence starting at 15.45. :boggled:

Last edited:

Ah yes, All in the family, an episode of a show that aired when he was 4. I am very sick and tired of right wing supporters finding and bringing/dredging up of incidents of racism in people who've clearly changed. Especially when it's all in the point of "SEE they're racist TOO!" Everyone knows in this day and age that it is wrong, it is the actions and positions a person takes on such things. There is a small level of innocence that can be claimed since Trudeau hasn't been aligned with any specifically racist groups. Everyone does dumb things when they are young, and black/brownface is a particularly big one, but he regrets it, has apologized, and asked for forgiveness. If you still want to crucify him for it, that is on you, he has done all he can do.

Being vindictive is not productive and I'm rather tired of seeing it. As a people we need to move forward because there are global crises looming in on us and stopping progress for things such as this is simply a huge waste of time.

I am very sick and tired of right wing supporters finding and bringing/dredging up of incidents of racism in people who've clearly changed.

Only the right-wing ones?

Granted I agree that this really isn't an issue even in the slightest, but I certainly can't blame those on the right for tearing into him when they constantly get accused of being racist or sexist over any small thing (plus the whole reparations thing in the U.S.).

First I am not black, but asian. I was born in The Netherlands, but I am not white. As a child I was oblivious of the controversy surrounding black Pete. When I grew up I realized how offensive it could potentially be, all the while knowing that the modern interpretation isn't racist at all. But I don't understand why so many people are extremely aggressive and protective when it comes to black Pete. It is racist and a child really would never care if Black Pete was purple, green or yellow.

I find asian costumes during carnaval extremely offensive, which you might not. But at least make an effort to understand the opposites perspective.
images

If the people above just wore the costume without that stance, fake beard, eye makeup etc. it wouldn't be offensive anymore, like:
IMG_6697_1.JPG
76803851-caucasian-male-in-traditional-chinese-wedding-attire.jpg

The traditional black Pete is very offensive, try to put yourself in the shoes of a black person and you see this:
images

First I am not black, but asian. I was born in The Netherlands, but I am not white. As a child I was oblivious of the controversy surrounding black Pete. When I grew up I realized how offensive it could potentially be, all the while knowing that the modern interpretation isn't racist at all. But I don't understand why so many people are extremely aggressive and protective when it comes to black Pete. It is racist and a child really would never care if Black Pete was purple, green or yellow.

I find asian costumes during carnaval extremely offensive, which you might not. But at least make an effort to understand the opposites perspective.
images

If the people above just wore the costume without that stance, fake beard, eye makeup etc. it wouldn't be offensive anymore, like:
IMG_6697_1.JPG
76803851-caucasian-male-in-traditional-chinese-wedding-attire.jpg

The traditional black Pete is very offensive, try to put yourself in the shoes of a black person and you see this:
images

I didn't ask about all of that. I asked about me going to some sort of Con dressed and painted as Simon Phoenix.

Only the right-wing ones?

Granted I agree that this really isn't an issue even in the slightest, but I certainly can't blame those on the right for tearing into him when they constantly get accused of being racist or sexist over any small thing (plus the whole reparations thing in the U.S.).

I've honestly been pretty isolated from the news for over a year that most of what I hear is right wing vindictiveness because it's just everywhere on the bits of news I hear, and being in construction I work with quite a few right wing people. I'm mainly just tired of hearing it and no one on either side should partake in vindictive political crap. I guess I'm kinda venting here and probably shouldn't be, sorry about that.

Latest Posts

Back