Unofficial Official Canada Thread

• Thread starter Juiposa
  • 132 comments
I didn't ask about all of that. I asked about me going to some sort of Con dressed and painted as Simon Phoenix.

Go as Simon phoenix, not painted black Simon phoenix.
You don't need to paint Cacausian to be superman or wonder woman
46507239c6682e96bbd105ff21ed1cf3.jpg

9446506363_212a97e6c1_b.jpg

and being in construction I work with quite a few right wing people.

I know your pain. Thankfully my current place isn't very political, but my last place was. It took quite a bit to not just tell them to shut up.

I guess I'm kinda venting here and probably shouldn't be, sorry about that.

Vent a way! :cheers:

Like I explained it can offend people. Black people wearing whiteface can potentially offend white people too. Simon phoenix should not be defined be the color of his skin, similar to the examples of Superman, wonderwoman.

It's always great to see that no one can give a reason as to why it would offend someone, if it doesn't ridicule.

What part of just being Caucasian by birth would lead you to assume such and why?

See above back and forth conversation. His answer shows he still doesnt understand all facets what is offensive with blackface.

1. Blackface has been used historically to ridicule black people
2. Dressing up as a historical or famous person with blackface puts emphasise on his/her race and not his/her accomplishments
3. If someone dresses up as your ethnicity and unintentially exaggerates ethnic features comically (doesnt matter if it is intended or not) does make a lot of people uncomfortable. Because it strengthens undesirable sterotypes.
4. Black people in many countries are still racially stereotyped and looked down upon.

In an ideal world where everyone is equal. Blackface, whiteface, yellowface, brownface would not matter. Sadly that is not the world we live in.
edit:
It's always great to see that no one can give a reason as to why it would offend someone, if it doesn't ridicule.

see above for reasons.

If I decided to dress like hitler, because I genuinly think he was a great leader. Would that be offensive?

Last edited:
See above back and forth conversation. His answer shows he still doesnt understand all facets what is offensive with blackface.

2. Dressing up as a historical or famous person with blackface puts emphasise on his/her race and not his/her accomplishments
3. If someone dresses up as your ethnicity and unintentially exaggerates ethnic features comically (doesnt matter if it is intended or not) does make a lot of people uncomfortable. Because it strengthens undesirable sterotypes.
4. Black people in many countries are still racially stereotyped and looked down upon.

In an ideal world where everyone is equal. Blackface, whiteface, yellowface, brownface would not matter. Sadly that is not the world we live in.

I'm curious, what's you thought on a male dressing up as a female character complete with fake breasts?

I'm curious, what's you thought on a male dressing up as a female character complete with fake breasts?

Women are the ones to judge that. As long as they think there is nothing wrong with that it shouldnt matter.

Racism, sexism isnt objective, Its always subjective and in the eye of the beholder.

Women are the ones to judge that. As long as they think there is nothing wrong with that it shouldnt matter.
I don't agree. "Women" isn't a homogeneous group. Some might find it offensive, some might not. The group taken as a whole doesn't have an opinion.

I'd also say that there is a problem in ignoring a man that takes offense to it just because he's not a woman. Do his concerns not matter?

Racism, sexism isnt objective, Its always subjective and in the eye of the beholder.
This I do agree with, and it makes something being inherently offensive impossible.

I don't agree. "Women" isn't a homogeneous group. Some might find it offensive, some might not. The group taken as a whole doesn't have an opinion.

I'd also say that there is a problem in ignoring a man that takes offense to it just because he's not a woman. Do his concerns not matter?

This I do agree with, and it makes something being inherently offensive impossible.

I am not a women so it is hard to be empathetic. I think gender has a much different role in society then ethnicity.

If you allow something that somebody else does as far as "dressup", name calling to allow the lessening accomplishments of any person regardless of race then the insecurities or feelings of being inferior is more of your own problems in how you see your self worth or value rather than what the actions of others may infer.

If a person regardless of race lacks their own self confidence then someone else not dressing up in blackface is not going to cure that feeling of inferiority. But it is easier to blame someone else for your own shortcomings or failures as an individual or even a race than take accountability yourself for your actions.

I am not a women so it is hard to be empathetic.
Is it really that big of a stumbling block? Sure you won't understand everything in exactly the way a woman does since you're not one, but being the same sex as someone doesn't mean you'll get along either. You've almost certainly run into men that you've failed to understand completely, haven't you? You don't need to be another person to empathize with them. All you really need to know to understand offense is what it's like to be made uncomfortable.

Taking Zwarte Piet for example, I don't find it offensive, nor do I expect anyone with dark skin to find it offensive by default. That doesn't prevent me from understanding that some people who take offense to it link it with racist/ignorant actions commonly used to demean black people in the past. It's an easy link to make even if Pete has nothing to do with racism. The people offended aren't incorrect or weak, they just have a particular reaction to something. That should be respected, but it's not the only reaction that it's possible to have.

I think gender has a much different role in society then ethnicity.
Maybe, but neither of them defines a person on their own.

If you allow something that somebody else does as far as "dressup", name calling to allow the lessening accomplishments of any person regardless of race then the insecurities or feelings of being inferior is more of your own problems in how you see your self worth or value rather than what the actions of others may infer.

If a person regardless of race lacks their own self confidence then someone else not dressing up in blackface is not going to cure that feeling of inferiority. But it is easier to blame someone else for your own shortcomings or failures as an individual or even a race than take accountability yourself for your actions.

It isnt about self confidence, but how one is treated. This is the whole white privilege discussion again. A black and a white person drive in an expensive car in a red state. Are you 100% confident they will be treated the same by police? If a minority is genuinly racially profiled is this because of lack of self-confidence?

That said you were just focusing on nr. 4. the first 3 are more important.

It isnt about self confidence, but how one is treated. This is the whole white privilege discussion again. A black and a white person drive in an expensive car in a red state. Are you 100% confident they will be treated the same by police? If a minority is genuinly racially profiled is this because of lack of self-confidence?

That said you were just focusing on nr. 4. the first 3 are more important.

Many people may not like hearing it but usually if a stereo type exist and continues to exist for a long period of time then there very well may be behaviors or traits among higher numbers of a group that support the reason that they are perceived to be that way.

It could be physical attributes, mental capacities, general behaviors and not only exist because of an individuals race but could also exist because of ones nationality, area of residence or even religion. But it still goes back to how a higher overall percentage of one group behaves or acts that causes such perception to exist.

I love how it always seems to come back to "white" privilege but yet as far as world human population numbers are concerned the white race is not a dominating percentage of that population by a long shot.

Should the white race be ashamed that the societies they have built have been successful as compared to the societies that may have been built by other races?

Perhaps it is high time that the other races that claim to be affected quit blaming other races for their lack of success or even lack of respect and started engaging in behaviors and actions that earned them the recognition and respect they seem to crave so much rather than whining pointing fingers and blaming others over and over for their failures and shortcomings.

Respect and equality are traits that are earned through a persons actions and abilities, crying about your feelings are getting hurt are not going to earn the desired results I do not care who you are!

Last edited:
Respect and equality are traits that are earned through a persons actions and abilities, crying about your feelings are getting hurt are not going to earn the desired results I do not care who you are!

You mean like this individual crying about his feelings & getting hurt?

You mean like this individual crying about his feelings & getting hurt?
Blame it on race or white privilege if you want, what I saw was a cop that overreacted to a situation and started shooting, it would not have made any difference if the cop was black and the victim was white it still was a cop overreacting to a situation period.

I look at that video I do not see racism but rather either bad training or someone that perhaps should not have passed the psyche evals and been a cop to begin with regardless of his skin color.

I look at that video I do not see racism

Many people may not like hearing it but usually if a stereo type exist and continues to exist for a long period of time then there very well may be behaviors or traits among higher numbers of a group that support the reason that they are perceived to be that way.

Like you, the cop makes a (racist) stereotyped assumption about the individual he stops who is doing EXACTLY what he is asked to do ... so he shoots him. And it's not an isolated incident, it happens over & over again.

It could be physical attributes, mental capacities, general behaviors and not only exist because of an individuals race but could also exist because of ones nationality, area of residence or even religion. But it still goes back to how a higher overall percentage of one group behaves or acts that causes such perception to exist.

I love how it always seems to come back to "white" privilege but yet as far as world human population numbers are concerned the white race is not a dominating percentage of that population by a long shot.

Should the white race be ashamed that the societies they have built have been successful as compared to the societies that may have been built by other races?

Perhaps it is high time that the other races that claim to be affected quit blaming other races for their lack of success or even lack of respect and started engaging in behaviors and actions that earned them the recognition and respect they seem to crave so much rather than whining pointing fingers and blaming others over and over for their failures and shortcomings.

Chinese did not have long moustaches and wear those hats. Please explain why the stereotype existed so long as it did.

No white people should not be ashamed. I believe it is generational. In a few generations more it will be much less then it is now.

The specific racism I am talking about is USA. Other countries have other problems in racial profiling and/or have a different history of slavery or oppression. It isnt about blaming anyone. Do you really believe when a black person and a white person both driving an expensive car are treated the same by police? It isnt whining or blaming, its a reality where some ethnicities have to deal with. How often are white people killed by police innocently compared to black people? Why are immigrants from the southern border not welcome, but swedes are?

I have had americans in my place of business blaming me of ripping them of, because thats what asians do! I never experienced something like that from europeans. Its anecdotal, I know, but many europeans think of americans as arrogant.

edit: correction
edit: The notion of if a stereotype exists, it must be true is a dangerous way of thinking. If someone is poor, he must be lazy or stupid.

Last edited:
Scheer wants to enable 30 year mortgages for first time home buyers.

I don’t know about other provinces, but this would be awful for Ontario.

Scheer wants to enable 30 year mortgages for first time home buyers.

I don’t know about other provinces, but this would be awful for Ontario.
In what context and in what way is it bad?

As far as I understand, the current limit of 25 years applies to insured mortgages - ones where the buyer has a less than 20% deposit. If a buyer has a 20% down payment, mortgage insurance doesn't apply and a 30 year mortgage is allowed. The 'first time buyer' status is irrelevant.

In what context and in what way is it bad?

As far as I understand, the current limit of 25 years applies to insured mortgages - ones where the buyer has a less than 20% deposit. If a buyer has a 20% down payment, mortgage insurance doesn't apply and a 30 year mortgage is allowed. The 'first time buyer' status is irrelevant.
The housing problems in Ontario are supply side issues. This policy will just enrich financial institutions.

The housing problems in Ontario are supply side issues. This policy will just enrich financial institutions.
So you think reducing demand by keeping first home buyers out of the market is the solution? Something needs to be done about affordability in the GTA, it has nothing to do with giving first home buyers a break.

So you think reducing demand by keeping first home buyers out of the market is the solution? Something needs to be done about affordability in the GTA, it has nothing to do with giving first home buyers a break.
I didn’t say reduce demand or even imply it.

But yeah, let’s give everybody a home! Giving out trophies and gold stars to children is one thing but it doesn’t work in the real world.

I didn’t say reduce demand or even imply it.
Saying that helping new buyers into the market is a bad thing is pretty close. Less new buyers = less demand.

But yeah, let’s give everybody a home! Giving out trophies and gold stars to children is one thing but it doesn’t work in the real world.
The first home buyer programs aren't exactly giving out homes. When I bought my first house (this year), I got a few thousand dollars off the land transfer tax. They 'gave' me well under 1% of the purchase price. Everything else I have heard of that helps first time buyers is a loan from the government.

I'm going to assume that you are not in the market to buy a new house any time soon because (in order of increasing likelihood) you are too young, live somewhere where the market hasn't gone crazy, or you bought a place 10 years ago before the market went crazy.

Saying that helping new buyers into the market is a bad thing is pretty close. Less new buyers = less demand.

The first home buyer programs aren't exactly giving out homes. When I bought my first house (this year), I got a few thousand dollars off the land transfer tax. They 'gave' me well under 1% of the purchase price. Everything else I have heard of that helps first time buyers is a loan from the government.

I'm going to assume that you are not in the market to buy a new house any time soon because (in order of increasing likelihood) you are too young, live somewhere where the market hasn't gone crazy, or you bought a place 10 years ago before the market went crazy.
I’m saying more buyers = increased demand in a market which is already massively under supplied. This program makes a bad situation even worse.

Good thing you already bought your home because this program will have the immediate effect of pushing prices significantly higher for everybody. The market does not care if you’re a first time home buyer or that your mortgage is 30yrs.

The banks will make a killing.

You sure it's undersupplied or it's over bought?

In Australia the myth of undersupply was broken when it became apparent low interest rates are just allowing people to borrow more money which they will and that makes prices go up.

Here in Sydney with the most expensive housing market we have appartments springing up everywhere and alot of it isn't selling yet prices are not really going down, which to me tells me a price crash is imminent.

In Australia the myth of undersupply was broken when it became apparent low interest rates are just allowing people to borrow more money which they will and that makes prices go up.

Here in Sydney with the most expensive housing market we have appartments springing up everywhere and alot of it isn't selling yet prices are not really going down, which to me tells me a price crash is imminent.
It’s definitely under regulated and has been for many years. It’s fuelled and continues to fuel supply issues. It would be amazing if first time home buyers were able to purchase a home and speculators were left out in the cold.

But this moronic wave of anti-taxation and under regulation won’t stop with the leading parties.

I would argue in the large population centres it's a weird and ugly combination of both lack of supply, and over buying. The lack of supply coming from every home builder now seemingly putting up only "luxury" homes which take longer to build. Add to that the fact that prices aren't dropping even though mass production is meant to do just that of something expensive and the supply looks pretty grim. The overbuying is coming from either foreign money or landlords who are just buying up more properties to rent. A recent survey pegged the number of owners who don't live in homes they own in Toronto and a hair under 40%.

Anecdotal evidence of the luxury supply, probably 75% of new home ad signs I see are for luxury subdivision/condos. I did recently see one for a basic subdivision, I wish I could remember where because I'd like to look into it.

Back