Unpopular Motorsport Opinions

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,944 comments
I really like the Honda RA107 livery. It was my favourite livery of that year. (Back when Ferrari was going through it's weird barcode phase and every McLaren ever was silver chrome, ew!)

honda_ra107_earth_manu-07_05.jpg

Out of all the F1 qualifying procedures, the one lap system was my favorite, even if it did play a part in Kimi losing the 2003 championship. It put pressure on the drivers to perform on that single try, and whenever the top contenders made mistakes and started further back, it made for a more entertaining race, Japan 2005 being the extreme example perhaps. These days, while the individual sessions do only have time for a handful of hot laps, I still think it's a bit too comfortable for the drivers as opposed to only having one lap to do their best.

2005 was 2 shot qual but you had to do both without Error.

It was a good system but very Unfair with weather, I would like the system back but implemented as a Top 10 Shootout or maybe first half of grid just to make it more fair with the weather.

Not to say this system we have is terrible but I would like more Focus put on the Driver, high pressure laps that we can individualize live would be very exiting in my opinion, also give a much higher chance of a Grid mixup.

The time to do it though would need to be reorganized as it would take quite a bit longer to complete qualifying, but it should still be done on Saturday.

2005 was 2 shot qual but you had to do both without Error.

It was a good system but very Unfair with weather, I would like the system back but implemented as a Top 10 Shootout or maybe first half of grid just to make it more fair with the weather.

Not to say this system we have is terrible but I would like more Focus put on the Driver, high pressure laps that we can individualize live would be very exiting in my opinion, also give a much higher chance of a Grid mixup.

The time to do it though would need to be reorganized as it would take quite a bit longer to complete qualifying, but it should still be done on Saturday.
I'd love present-day Q3 to become a superpole kind of thing.

Regarding the Max and Charles battle. Imho If you are really concerned about safety after they wheel banged then switch the channel to tennis or something, because this comes with the territory.

I didn't know safety was part of the discussion with the incident. That means I got the perfect opinion for the thread. Rubbing is not racing. Race hard but keep to yourselves. Might be why rally is my preferred motorsport. :lol:

Also I don't watch F1 but skimmed around to see what was going on.

Leclerc was too passive in that move, looks like he was going for the overlap but Verstappen just took the corner entirely, which I'm not convinced he had the overlap to claim, either way not worth a penalty, they got it right.

From a Sporting Perspective 50/50 judgements have to lean in favour of No penalty, you don't want drivers thinking about punishment when they are going for a move.

Funny you should say that, I was about to post that Spain has 0 interesting, fun and good to watch racing on circuits for cars. All of them are boring and none would host a good F1 race.

Funny you should say that, I was about to post that Spain has 0 interesting, fun and good to watch racing on circuits for cars. All of them are boring and none would host a good F1 race.
Brands Hatch stopped being a good track for any serious form of auto racing around 30 years ago, maybe more. It does not help it offers zero realistic overtaking opportunities.
It is still somewhat decent for sportbikes although its safety features deserve to stay in the 1970s.

Seeing as it's had zero effect on the racing and has saved lives, it has proven its worth and deserves to stay until something more aesthetically pleasing which performs just as well or better than the Halo is designed to replace it. You're fighting a losing battle there.

I'm not fighting anything, couldn't care less if F1 decided to end for good next week, they have lost me way back. I'm just stating an unpopular opinion, which seems to be the whole point here.

Oh, and "something more aesthetically pleasing", and yet a lot safer, already exists.

it has proven its worth and deserves to stay until something more aesthetically pleasing which performs just as well or better than the Halo

Oh, and "something more aesthetically pleasing", and yet a lot safer, already exists.

Red bull seems to be working with IndyCar to bring in an aero screen https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/indycar-aeroscreen-dixon-simulator-view/4487511/ which they could implement into F1 once it proves its worth

Yeah, the Indycar aeroscreen does look promising, as it's a halo with a screen on the front. We'll have to see what the FIA simulations say because if it is as strong as the Halo or better, it'll look better on the cars.

Too bloated in what way? Surely F1 fans would be happy with a race every single weekend? :)

Because other series have to work around the F1 dates. Since F1 is a complete pile of rubbish at the moment why would anyone want more than 16 races?

Seeing as it'll be relevant this weekend again.

New Hockenheim is one of the best racing circuits around and is undoubtedly the most underrated track in the world. It is vastly superior to the Old layout through the trees with the chicanes. Low Downforce configuration circuits suck, especially in F1 because nobody can follow each other. I have watched F1 solidly since 2006 and there has been 1 good (dry) Monza race during that time and 5 good ones at Hockenheim. Monza is relevant because it's basically what Hockenheim was but in Italy.

Nostalgia and Rose-tinted glasses are ruining the track, It is up there with Austin as the best circuit on the F1 calendar for overtaking and racing. Just watch literally any DTM race or lower-formula races around the full Hockenheim layout to see why it is so good for racing.

Back