Unpopular Motorsport Opinions

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,954 comments
I miss the Valencia Street Circuit

Yeah, it was awful, and I'd probably moan if it came back because the race would be awful and boring, but that doesn't mean I don't miss it. The circuit was at least painted to look good, and the backdrop was decent.

I don't want it back, but I'd like it back. Probably until I saw the race then berated it to go away, but yeah...

Not exactly the clearest post in the history of GTPlanet is it?
Makes sense to me. The racing was dull but the circuit looked magnificent.

Turn 6 at Sandown needs more runoff. And I mean a lot.

Someone is going to get hurt there soon.

If you have a look at the track on Googlemaps, you can see there isn't sufficient space to do anything meaningful.

In short, ain't gunna happen.

If you have a look at the track on Googlemaps, you can see there isn't sufficient space to do anything meaningful.

There is, they'd need to reprofile the previous turn and sharpen it to keep the speed down. Then the track could run tighter against the horse track while having a decent runoff and even create a bit more overtaking. Expensive job though.

In short, ain't gunna happen.

Agreed.

Obviously going to happen, but a SAFER barrier would work greatly at Turn 6. The wall isn’t actually head on, it’s more so at a 45 degree angle to the road coming towards it, but the fact that it’s a tyre barrier, makes some impacts seem practically head on. You see in some of the accidents in the compilation, the tyre barrier catches the cars, but in some cases, it’s making the impacts worse.

You see with the Torana hitting the wall towards the end of the vid. The way the Torana hits, the car comes to an instant stop. If a SAFER barrier was in place, and the Torana hit the exact same way, the car would’ve hit, not as significantly due the angle being less if a factor, and then come to a slow, instead of catching and coming to an instant stop.

The tyre barrier is also the cause of Todd Hazelwood’s accident being as dramatic as it was. The tyre barrier acted basically like a spring and bounced the car, causing the car to lose almost no energy or momentum. With James Golding’s and Garth Tander’s head on accidents, the crash was made head on due the tyre barrier catching the cars like they did and bringing them to an instant stop like how I spoke about the Torana accident.

Obviously more run off would be fantastic, but that is almost impossible. A SAFER also takes up less space than the tyres, which automatically gives a little more run off. Turn 6 at Sandown is a fantastic corner, and you don’t want the corner itself modified.

The track is right in the middle of surburbia, with residents complaining regularly about sound. Which has caused Sandown to limit the amount of major events, and limit the level of sound coming from the cars. Due to being in the middle of suburbia, the owners are under major pressure from real estate companies for their land, it’s rumoured and pretty much understood that they won’t have the land much longer.

The track is right in the middle of surburbia, with residents complaining regularly about sound. Which has caused Sandown to limit the amount of major events, and limit the level of sound coming from the cars. Due to being in the middle of suburbia, the owners are under major pressure from real estate companies for their land, it’s rumoured and pretty much understood that they won’t have the land much longer.
Oh, so another case of people complaining about something that was there before them. :rolleyes:

Possibly unpopular opinion, likely not, but people doing that are some straight-up asses in my book. Much like those who decide it's a good idea to demolish a race track in favor of an unimaginative shopping center.

Oh, so another case of people complaining about something that was there before them. :rolleyes:

Possibly unpopular opinion, likely not, but people doing that are some straight-up asses in my book. Much like those who decide it's a good idea to demolish a race track in favor of an unimaginative shopping center.
100000000000% agree

Because of where Sandown is, these people have either lived there since it opened & haven't moved for well over 50 years or, have moved into the area, knowing full well a racetrack is local to them & then complained about it.

FFS!

On top of that, racing cars used to be a lot louder than what they are now.

It's the same as moving to the coast & complaining about the sand!

🤬 OFF

The problem is that it's been well established that residential areas will always win over race-tracks. There's nothing stopping encroachment around motorsport venues. So many have been neutered or shut down, it's probably not a real consideration -- and I've never seen a county or federal body stand up and protect the fact that the course was there first.

I like the halo. I do not think it looks 'ugly.'
:odd:

IMG_0754.PNG

Oh, now I get it :P

100000000000% agree

Because of where Sandown is, these people have either lived there since it opened & haven't moved for well over 50 years or, have moved into the area, knowing full well a racetrack is local to them & then complained about it.

FFS!

On top of that, racing cars used to be a lot louder than what they are now.

It's the same as moving to the coast & complaining about the sand!

🤬 OFF
Same reasoning applies for those who live near Essendon Airport. They move to the area and complain about the aircraft noise. I'm devastated that Sandown won't be hosting the 500 after 2019.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/m...n/news-story/11d8794b785983469c3d0d19b75e4077
Unless another contract is signed, the days of Sandown are limited.
So really, no new news here.

From what you originally posted, I thought I'd missed an official Sandown expiry date.

Yes we can crystal ball what might happen if Supercars don't extend their contract with the V.R.C but, until the V.R.C make it official, the Sandown Motor Racing circuit lives on.
AFAIK, the biggest money maker for the owners of the track is actually one horsepower related & if that's the case, why not keep their other income source? It doesn't interfere with the nags so why wouldn't they?

IMHO, the biggest threat to motor racing at Sandown is, the CAMS/FIA knocking back approval on safety grounds.
If the circuit fails a more thorough track inspection, with more stringent demands, it's all over.

As sad as it is to say, I would much rather Sandown die a natural death, than see it carved up & modified to hell just so it ticks the Track Inspector's boxes.
I would be amazed if the V.R.C didn't feel the same way.

Back