Unpopular Opinions- Cars in General

• Thread starter Turbo
  • 1,713 comments
I find that they have conservative looks, but at the same time aren't boring.

I think that's part of why the looks work. They have some simple lines and aggressive touches, nothing too fancy, but they still manage to make stuff that doesn't look dated. As you said, they also do this without having to resort to being over-styled like a lot of cars these days. There's just something characterful about them.

Forget "German engineering", I think VW makes some of the most unreliable cars available (from big car companies) today. Not to mention their extremely boring styling on top of it.

- The only cars from VW that interest me today are the hot hatch Golfs and Beetle. Everything else is boring to me.
- Unlike the majority of car enthusiasts that don't like the Porsche 911 for not changing much in design; I actually like that the design just evolves rather than doing something completely different.

- Unlike the majority of car enthusiasts that don't like the Porsche 911 for not changing much in design; I actually like that the design just evolves rather than doing something completely different.
Right? That's one of the reasons I like Porsche so much. Small changes over time. Why change something that's worked so well?

Edit: I will add that despite the similar design and shape of the 911 over 60 years, they're all still uniquely different from model to model, generation to generation. I think the people that don't like the similar design simply don't care (or don't want to) to see the differences.

• I thought 911s were ugly, really ugly, until the last 2 generations. The further they get away from the beetle, the better.
  • Alfa Romeos aren't all that special

Not sure if these have been posted, but I’d add a few of my own:
  • Unlike a lot of people here on GTP, I actually love the way the 2008 Ferrari California looks. A lot. I’m saying this based on the opinions people posted in the Ferrari California thread, so I could be wrong. The facelifted version, not so much, due to the silver windscreen frame (I don’t know what it’s called), but still better looking than the California T.
  • I prefer the Aston Martin DBS to the pre-facelift DB9. The DBS just manages to look more sporty without overdoing it, while the DB9 looks a bit dated now.
  • Cars made before the 2000’s don’t really do much for me, neither are cars introduced from 2015 onwards. To me, the period when cars, no matter exotic ones or common ones like sedans, looked the best is from 2005 to the early 2010’s. The only exception is the Mercedes 300 SL and the Ferrari 365 GTB/4, which are among my top 10 favourite cars. The only post-2015 cars that I like are the Ferrari Portofino, as well as the Aston Martin DB11, but even then I don’t consider both of them as good-looking as their predecessors (the original California and the DB9 respectively).
  • I hate the rings on the tyres that Italian supercar manufacturers have suddenly developed a fetish for. Some examples:
    p015xm4c.jpg
    Pagani.jpg
    I still remembering looking at a Huracan without those rings the other day, and after the owner fitted it with those rings, I was like: :yuck:. I know, the cars in Formula 1 have them, but having them on your supercar doesn’t really make it faster or look any sportier! At least not to me. In fact, I think it makes the car which it was adorning look more hideous, be it a road or race car.
  • Black rims, while they do make some sports cars look better, is just getting overdone as a factory option. Mercedes especially loves them for their super saloons:
    amg-w222-forged-black-matte-wheel-example-2.jpg
    If it’s done on an AMG GT, it’s understandable, but on an S Class? That’s debatable.
  • I prefer automated manual transmissions to pure manual ones on modern cars. Personally I think they look more modern, but then I’m a teen born in the late ‘90’s, and I did not start to love cars until, I believe, the mid 00’s. So maybe it’s because of that.
That’s all I can think of right now, might add more in the future if I think of any.

Last edited:
They aren't rings, and they aren't exclusive to Italian cars. It's Pirelli's new optional coloured tyres.
No wonder they’re spotted only on Pirelli tyres (or am I wrong regarding that as well?), seeing as how they’re the only tyre supplier in Formula 1. Good thing it’s an option, because I don’t really like them.

Goes to show how much I know about cars, doesn’t it? :ouch:

• Current day Lamborghini's aren't desirable to me
  • Every V12 Ferrari after the 599 GTB and Enzo doesn't sound very good, they all sound a bit OTT and not very natural now.
  • Apart from the lightweights (360 CS, 430S, 458S) modern V8 Ferraris don't do anything for me
  • VAG cars bore me
  • Most M/RS/AMG cars have too much power
  • The modern ultracars (918, P1, LaFerrari) are all less desirable then their predecessors
  • F50>F40
All of these opinions don't bother me except for the f50>f40. The f50 was GARBAGE.

All of these opinions don't bother me except for the f50>f40. The f50 was GARBAGE.

From what I’ve read you’re very much mistaken, and an F1 derived V12 will always be better than a V8 for me.

The f50 was GARBAGE.
I get that you may not like the F50, but how is a million dollar supercar, which was engineered far better than any other supercar of it's time, that could achieve speeds of over 200mph garbage?

I love the Ferrari F50 (but just not better than the F40). It's a proper V12 Ferrari and one of the rarest too. You could get one with a gated manual in it, which makes it one of the last of it's kind. And that sound.

I'd take the F40 over the F50 any-day, though granted I prefer the F50's sweet sounding F1-derived V12. In other words perfect combo; slap the F50's V12 into the F40, then the F40 would be perfect. Though you'd probably ruin the F40's balance, but hey screaming V12 so win-win :D.

I don't hate all Rocket Bunny/Liberty Walk bodykits.

Your not the only one. Though 9 times out 10 I don't like them at all, as sadly now they seem to repeat the same, big wing, and huge bolt-on arch formula. Plus they'. Even more so when their slapped on modern super cars like they seem to be nowadays, making them even worse for e.g.

Liberty Walk Aventador.jpg
Rocket Bunny 458.jpg

:yuck:.

However, there's a few select examples that swing my vote, as they're much more tasteful in their execution. Like the RB PS13 which is probably the best RB kit, though the immensely rare and equally classy EF Civic kit is darn good, and an honorable mention goes to the RB RX-7. Otherwise that's it.

As for the Liberty Walk kits, well...there's only one from memory I like, and I kind of defies the whole "classy and tasteful" idea that I loved about the RB PS13 and Civic.

Nissan PS13 Rocket Bunny.jpg

The Liberty Walk Honda S660; very much the opposite of "classy and tasteful", but I don't care, as it's a mad looking little thing :D.

Liberty Walk S660.jpg

Last edited:
The F50, which is my opinion.

The F40 is okay, but it's too boxy for my liking. As a kid, I always like the vents on the F50's "hood" for some reason.

Another unpopular opinion: Pop-up headlights only look good on very rare occasions. If the F40 just used the lights lower down as it's main lamps, it would look better IMO.

If you consider preferring F50 to F40 a blasphemy - think again, you're in for a portion of much more infuriating opinions, courtesy of me:
- The only redeeming points for manual transmissions nowadays are their low cost and simplicity;
- Sports cars that are boring to drive without of manual tranny are boring because these cars themselves are boring, not the whatever transmission replaces the manual;
- Putting a manual tranny into Hennessey Venom GT (read: 1,5k HP hypercar) is the most redneck decision in the history of automotive industry, ever;
- eCVT transmissions, such as Hybrid Synergy Drive, Ford HF35 and Koenigsegg Direct Drive, are the best transmissions as of today;
- Toyota Prius is a great daily commuter car, it just suffers from results of its marketing putting emphasis on ecology, which was a big mistake (remember how its batteries are made?);
- Hybrids and EVs aren't gay (since when instant torque is considered gay?);
- Gasoline-powered cars and cars that use alternative energy sources (such as hydrogen or electricity) are equally cool;
- Cars and bikes shouldn't be allowed to be loud on public roads because face it, loud engine/exhaust noises only appeal to gearheads;
- No electric cars in this world suck just because "they are silent", and the amount of noise a car produces shouldn't define whether the car sucks or not.

- Putting a manual tranny into Hennessey Venom GT (read: 1,5k HP hypercar) is the most redneck decision in the history of automotive industry, ever;
I beg to differ. In the late 1990s Ford took what was already one of the most redneck vehicles in America, and made a "NASCAR Edition" trim for it, and NASCAR is the most redneck of all sports.

Latest Posts

Back