Unpopular Opinions- Cars in General

• Thread starter Turbo
  • 1,713 comments
I beg to differ. In the late 1990s Ford took what was already one of the most redneck vehicles in America, and made a "NASCAR Edition" trim for it, and NASCAR is the most redneck of all sports.

I'd say that's redneck in a more poser kind of way. This thing got only 220 HP, just 55 HP above my uncle's Hyundai, while their weight is roughly the same, which hints at this car being a rather meh performer. Having a manual tranny in a car with one-to-one power-to-weight ratio stock that is also not a drag-spec car and is supposed to compete with the likes of Bugatti and Koenigsegg not just on a straight line is the whole new level of hillbilly.

A bit more:
- If a race car can only participate in one make races with the likes of itself, it sucks (Jaguar XJR15, I'm looking at you);
- Miura's front end is ugly.

I get that you may not like the F50, but how is a million dollar supercar, which was engineered far better than any other supercar of it's time, that could achieve speeds of over 200mph garbage?
Haha it's not, I'm being unreasonable. The F40 is a much more sexy car in my opinion.

I find that some high performance variants of cars to not be as attractive as the regular car. I get that the aero parts are meant to help with the increase in power or a wider body for a larger track. But for some cars, it sort of ruins the otherwise clean design. Especially the spoilers that end up looking almost tacky in a way.

Like the AMG GT S to the AMG GT R.
2016-MB-AMG-GT-S-Edition-1-Silver-001.jpg

amg-gtr-web-2291.jpg

Or the F-Type R to the F-Type SVR.
2015_jaguar_f-type_coupe_base_rq_oem_4_1280.jpg

ftype-005.jpg

Toyota Prius is a great daily commuter car, it just suffers from results of its marketing putting emphasis on ecology, which was a big mistake (remember how its batteries are made?)
I agree with the sentiment, but the Prius battery thing is wildly overplayed.

Prius batteries (in non-plugin models) are nickel-based, but despite the huge numbers of Prius produced, batteries are still a relatively small part of the global nickel market, so their impact is fairly low. The benefits of the cars using significantly less fuel than equivalent regular vehicles hugely outweighs any negatives they might have from battery production.
I find that some high performance variants of cars to not be as attractive as the regular car. I get that the aero parts are meant to help with the increase in power or a wider body for a larger track. But for some cars, it sort of ruins the otherwise clean design. Especially the spoilers that end up looking almost tacky in a way.
I'd generally agree with this. In an era of fairly complicated car design, I tend to appreciate the simpler, less adorned versions of many cars.

Like the AMG GT S to the AMG GT R.
2016-MB-AMG-GT-S-Edition-1-Silver-001.jpg

amg-gtr-web-2291.jpg

Or the F-Type R to the F-Type SVR.
2015_jaguar_f-type_coupe_base_rq_oem_4_1280.jpg

ftype-005.jpg
Continuing with the trend...

Audi S5

Audi RS5

The former has some sporty bits to it, but it retains a stylish, simplistic look. The latter, on the other hand, is too over the top.

Audi S5

Audi RS5

The former has some sporty bits to it, but it retains a stylish, simplistic look. The latter, on the other hand, is too over the top.
It's like night and day. Bloody heck.

Audi S5

Audi RS5

I actually like the new RS5. More so than the previous one.

Here's a new example that just came out. The new Corvette ZR1. The spoiler is too much and the intakes are way too big. (Though, I'm sure it'll need the cooling)
lmgcjxzoex6ipbq2qzpg.jpg

dntzjyct2wzo3o8efyui.jpg

I feel like the Z06 got it just right.
2016-chevrolet-corvettez06-038.jpg

There are uglier cars than the Pontiac Aztek.
The Ssangyong Rodius makes the Pontiac Aztek design committee look like they at least knew what they were doing.
2004-ssangyong-rodius-1-generation-minivan-1.jpg

I hate black cars with black interior, it's unimaginative, boring, and ugly. The fact that people call them "unicorns" when they're quite common and think they're highly desirable boggles my mind.
Weird that people consider those unicorns. What's just as bad (if not worse) is that manufactures still do grey interiors.
new-2017-toyota-sienna-xlefwd8passenger-11144-17007866-9-1024.jpg

Car interiors need to be more lively and have some color to them. Which is why I absolutely love brown interiors. And sometimes, even red leather (when matched correctly with a black or grey exterior).
ABTL_2014-Lexus-RX-Front-Seats.jpg

The rear spoiler just looks so...tacky on the ZR1. With all the cool active aero nowadays I'm surprised GM just went "ya that's what we want".
GM looked into active aero, and decided that it works much better at getting oohs and ahhs than it is at downforce.
In other words, they picked the one that performs better.

In other words, they picked the one that performs better.
And is also less complicated, which positively affects car's weight and price.

I have to admit I don't really like that rear wing from the aesthetic point of view, but hey, as long as it does its job, I'm perfectly fine with it.

...in other news:
The new Corvette ZR1. The spoiler is too much
Just been to the Chevrolet's page on the Corvette. Turns out that the huge spoiler is a part of the optional aero kit.
This is how a "normal" C7 ZR1 should look like:
111718_3b.jpg

Looks quite better to me.

...in other news:

Just been to the Chevrolet's page on the Corvette. Turns out that the huge spoiler is a part of the optional aero kit.
This is how a "normal" C7 ZR1 should look like:
111718_3b.jpg

Looks quite better to me.

That looks considerably better. Though I still think the massive intakes make it look swollen. The Z06 C7 is still better looking.

Here's one I'm not sure people would like.... For some cars (not all), I feel like old nameplates should be left alone sometimes. Rather than trying to revive it, only to have the overhyped community be disappointed by how the new model is not similar to any of the previous generations. Much like how people weren't happy to hear that the new NSX was not like the original. Or with the upcoming Supra, I can only assume won't be anywhere similar to the original. Sometimes I feel like the nameplate is better off left alone and even dead. I'm not entirely against it, but with how the car community is these days, they set expectations for "legendary" cars they believe the successor should exceed. Can't complain that these companies are trying to revive their sports cars, but using the same name doesn't always seem to work.

I suppose one example (that isn't quite about cars) would be Top Gear USA being considered worse than Top Gear UK. I enjoyed both shows, but maybe if Top Gear USA used a different name, people wouldn't have disliked it so much.

For non-high performance cars, a torque-converter type automatic is better than a dual-clutch transmission in almost every situation.

For non-high performance cars, a torque-converter type automatic is better than a dual-clutch transmission in almost every situation.
I'd say even for a few performance cars they're better. The best torque-converter autos are now almost as quick as DCTs but almost universally smoother too in virtually every driving situation. They're getting fairly efficient in terms of drivetrain losses too. I don't actually see DCTs hanging around for much longer - they're apparently quite expensive to develop and make compared to torque converter autos and their advantages are diminishing. Really high-end performance stuff will likely carry on with them (Porsches, Bugattis, Ferraris etc) but I think we'll look back on them as being a bit of a fad.

I'd say even for a few performance cars they're better. The best torque-converter autos are now almost as quick as DCTs but almost universally smoother too in virtually every driving situation. They're getting fairly efficient in terms of drivetrain losses too. I don't actually see DCTs hanging around for much longer - they're apparently quite expensive to develop and make compared to torque converter autos and their advantages are diminishing. Really high-end performance stuff will likely carry on with them (Porsches, Bugattis, Ferraris etc) but I think we'll look back on them as being a bit of a fad.

As much as I like dual clutch transmissions, I tend to agree traditional autos are pretty good nowadays. The one in my S60 shifts pretty quick and I haven't come across a situation where I wish it'd shift quicker.

If dual clutches do go away, I just hope they aren't replaced with CVT's. I know they're good transmissions, I just can't stand they way the make a car feel.

Back