Unpopular Opinions - General Thread

• Thread starter Carbonox
  • 2,977 comments
Ken
Being in the military doesn't mean that you should get discounts at every retailer.
Dont you suppose that's up to the retailer to decide? I mean, there is no law requiring that so no business is being forced to do so.

Dont you suppose that's up to the retailer to decide? I mean, there is no law requiring that so no business is being forced to do so.

I don't offer military discounts at my business and if you ask I might give you one depending if you are a respectable person or not but if you think you are entitled to it and go into a "I protect your freedoms" rant or have that mentality in general, I'm not going to do it. I never once asked for any discounts on anything nor expected them in my 8 years in service. I sometimes have to chuckle when those types come in and don't know who I am or what I've done in my own life. Military spouses in my experience are the most vocal ones.

You're absolutely right. But that doesn't stop a lot of servicemen and women assuming that they deserve it. A lot of my family is military and every one of them think that they should get discounts at every place they walk into.

I mean, I can't say you're wrong, but at the same time, this is the man that took advantage of a personal and familial tragedy.
**** bags exist in every walk of life, every single one. From saint to soldier to burger flipper.

I don't offer military discounts at my business and if you ask I might give you one depending if you are a respectable person or not but if you think you are entitled to it and go into a "I protect your freedoms" rant or have that mentality in general, I'm not going to do it. I never once asked for any discounts on anything nor expected them in my 8 years in service. I sometimes have to chuckle when those types come in and don't know who I am or what I've done in my own life. Military spouses in my experience are the most vocal ones.
I've never asked for a discount either. Its not what I signed the contract for. But that just goes back to my point. I mean, maybe its an unpopular opinion to think stores shouldnt? IDK, I dont think its anything a lot of people actually form an opinion on, but its not a forced thing, so its a bit asinine to say "not every retailer should do this." I guess. I mean, clearly, you dont, so not every retailer does, and there is no law requiring it so its up to the retailer to decide if they are.

Ken
You're absolutely right. But that doesn't stop a lot of servicemen and women assuming that they deserve it. A lot of my family is military and every one of them think that they should get discounts at every place they walk into.
Two things, see my reply above, and also, since people who served account for less than 1% of the US population, its probably neither a popular or unpopular opinion either side of the coin.

Along the same vein, I don't think being a veteran doesn't entitle you to have an advantage when applying for a job either. If you were discharged from the military on your own accord, you essentially quit a job. No one signs up for the military out of the goodness of their heart, they are doing so because it's employment. You can easily stay in the military for (I think) 20 years, retire and draw a pension.

I don't care if a company does it since it's its prerogative who it hires, but I just don't agree with it.

Oh I'm aware.
I'm well bloody aware of that.
Then there is nothing we disagree on. The only "claim" to the contrary was Winter Nobles saying service members shouldnt be treated as hero's automatically. I guess I dont find that as unpopular cause I dont know many that think they should be. Most people are smart enough to know that there are ***hats all over the place regardless of their career. I am not going to speak from the as to their direct mind set. But I will say that most people give the benefit of the doubt that a person is good, and thus their service was done honorably.

Ken

The military itself how it's organized and ran is kind of a welfare system. Everything is either free or heavily subsidized like housing. I don't remember that BAH when I was stationed in Camp Pendleton but I want to say somewhere around $1500-$1800 a month additional to cover rent costs if you chose to live off base. But of course living in the barracks is free. So when you are used to mostly free living, I think it's a hard concept to actually have to pay full price for anything and some service members will take full advantage of it enough that it's an expectation and therefore, have a twisted sense of entitlement.

Along the same vein, I don't think being a veteran doesn't entitle you to have an advantage when applying for a job either. If you were discharged from the military on your own accord, you essentially quit a job. No one signs up for the military out of the goodness of their heart, they are doing so because it's employment. You can easily stay in the military for (I think) 20 years, retire and draw a pension.

I don't care if a company does it since it's its prerogative who it hires, but I just don't agree with it.
Ok, I'll bite on this one. Again, going with the whole "benefit of the doubt" generally service members are used to a stricter, more ridged lifestyle (not exactly true, but that is the perception) and thus should be coming out of the military with more discipline then the average person. However, one thing that does make up for it, is that a service member generally doesnt get a certification in their job. Be it a mechainc, welder, truck driver, what have you. They may have done the job for a decade or more, but when they get out, they have basically no paper qualifications to attach to a resume.

Then there is nothing we disagree on. The only "claim" to the contrary was Winter Nobles saying service members shouldnt be treated as hero's automatically. I guess I dont find that as unpopular cause I dont know many that think they should be. Most people are smart enough to know that there are ***hats all over the place regardless of their career. I am not going to speak from the as to their direct mind set. But I will say that most people give the benefit of the doubt that a person is good, and thus their service was done honorably.
Thing is, even hearing from other squaddies who served for much longer than he did, he wasn't even that honourable in duty and couldn't hack it. I can give the benefit of the doubt for someone who has been in service for several years, but for someone like him...no. I draw the line.

Thing is, even hearing from other squaddies who served for much longer than he did, he wasn't even that honourable in duty and couldn't hack it. I can give the benefit of the doubt for someone who has been in service for several years, but for someone like him...no. I draw the line.
SUre, because you know the person. Thus that doesnt apply to what I said.

The military itself how it's organized and ran is kind of a welfare system. Everything is either free or heavily subsidized like housing. I don't remember that BAH when I was stationed in Camp Pendleton but I want to say somewhere around $1500-$1800 a month additional to cover rent costs if you chose to live off base. But of course living in the barracks is free. So when you are used to mostly free living, I think it's a hard concept to actually have to pay full price for anything and some service members will take full advantage of it enough that it's an expectation and therefore, have a twisted sense of entitlement.
I dont know that I fully agree here. First is the pay scale issue. Myself and my wife were E4's, both collected BAH full and partial, and still barely made enough money to keep food on the table. the military subsidizes pay with BAH, housing, and food. But you are working a salary job, which will and does call you in at all hours, working 10+ an hour daily, often with some sort of guard duty requiring a 24 hour work period, and pays basically about 500-600 twice a month. the first and the 15th. no lucky third paycheck every once in a while either. I mean, we are talking about whopper flipper money to be a 24 hour a day soldier.

I think it depends on the job. There are plenty of resources Veterans can use to find employment post separation. If you are going for a Law Enforcement job, yes I do think that Veterans should be first choice and some Federal jobs. Veteran's Preference Points make this an actual thing. But no, vets shouldn't have an advantage when it comes to other lines of work that have no military equivalent or even relevance.

I think it depends on the job. There are plenty of resources Veterans can use to find employment post separation. If you are going for a Law Enforcement job, yes I do think that Veterans should be first choice and some Federal jobs. Veteran's Preference Points make this an actual thing. But no, vets shouldn't have an advantage when it comes to other lines of work that have no military equivalent or even relevance.
You arent under the impression that the military only soldiers are you? I mean, they are also clerks, truck drivers, welders, mechanics, medics, doctors, IT techs, construction equipment operators. Just about any job in civilian life has a military counter part. I am not arguing that they should get preference. But at the same time, for all that work and experience, they dont get civilian world equivalent certifications either. Despite the fact that I worked extensively on diesel engines, I never got an ASE cert. Now. I understand that of course even in the civ world, someone will have to pay and take the cert test. But that processes is a lot easier in the civilian world than it is for a veteran fresh out of service and needs a job quick cause they definitely couldnt do it while enlisted and as enlisted didnt make money hand over fist to live off of while getting set up to take the cert and then find a job. At least if you are working as a mechanic in the civ world and quit your job, you still have your certs and your tools to go find another job with.

I dont know that I fully agree here. First is the pay scale issue. Myself and my wife were E4's, both collected BAH full and partial, and still barely made enough money to keep food on the table. the military subsidizes pay with BAH, housing, and food. But you are working a salary job, which will and does call you in at all hours, working 10+ an hour daily, often with some sort of guard duty requiring a 24 hour work period, and pays basically about 500-600 twice a month. the first and the 15th. no lucky third paycheck every once in a while either. I mean, we are talking about whopper flipper money to be a 24 hour a day soldier.

I never had a spouse or any dependants when I was in service and was content with barracks living with close access to the chow hall. I spent the last 3 years of active duty mostly deployed or on Expeditionary Units with hazard pay and tax free zones with no real opportunity to spend anything and food and lodge was provided. Basically bank rolling money and took a civilian contractor position upon separation that paid way better and still provided food and lodging. So my perception is biased admittedly.

You arent under the impression that the military only soldiers are you? I mean, they are also clerks, truck drivers, welders, mechanics, medics, doctors, IT techs, construction equipment operators. Just about any job in civilian life has a military counter part. I am not arguing that they should get preference. But at the same time, for all that work and experience, they dont get civilian world equivalent certifications either. Despite the fact that I worked extensively on diesel engines, I never got an ASE cert. Now. I understand that of course even in the civ world, someone will have to pay and take the cert test. But that processes is a lot easier in the civilian world than it is for a veteran fresh out of service and needs a job quick cause they definitely couldnt do it while enlisted and as enlisted didnt make money hand over fist to live off of while getting set up to take the cert and then find a job. At least if you are working as a mechanic in the civ world and quit your job, you still have your certs and your tools to go find another job with.

In no way do I think all military members are strictly combat MOS type of people. But Law Enforcement is paramilitary with ranking systems, uniformity, their own form of basic training (think a police academy). A lot of that can more or less transfer over from military to paramilitary organization like a law enforcement agency. I don't think service members are at all of a disadvantage over civilians given their MOS whatever it was and that also goes for mechanics. ASE certs can be had by doing like everyone else who has them and taking the tests to prove your worthiness which shouldn't be a big deal given having actual experience. I have ASE certs and it's required for me to conduct business but it was literally as simple as taking the tests, passing them and recertifying every 5 years. You could have taken the tests pre separation and avoided that.

Last edited:
Ok, I'll bite on this one. Again, going with the whole "benefit of the doubt" generally service members are used to a stricter, more ridged lifestyle (not exactly true, but that is the perception) and thus should be coming out of the military with more discipline then the average person. However, one thing that does make up for it, is that a service member generally doesnt get a certification in their job. Be it a mechainc, welder, truck driver, what have you. They may have done the job for a decade or more, but when they get out, they have basically no paper qualifications to attach to a resume.

I can only speak from experience, but every military person I've ever worked with has been an absolute bear to work with. They're cocky and treat every single thing like a "mission". They also try to trump the pecking order by acting like a leader despite not knowing what the hell is going on. Then when you question them they get bent out of shape and fall back to some story about being in Iraq. This was the same in every place I worked at in Michigan and the same goes for the job I have here in Utah. Between five jobs in two states, I have to imagine that's more the norm than the exception with regards to behavior. Granted, I've mostly worked in healthcare IT, but I was also a jeweler and antique restorer for a time too... the same thing happened there. I had a similar experience when I did road construction too during the summers when I was in college.

This is, of course, all anecdotal but I'd be curious to see if there's any actual data on it.

But I'm guessing most employers look at what MOS a person had and apply work experience there. It's no different than any other job, it's just how you word it in a resume.

I can agree with this. A LEO makes sense considering some of the training mirrors one another.

I can only speak from experience, but every military person I've ever worked with has been an absolute bear to work with. They're cocky and treat every single thing like a "mission". They also try to trump the pecking order by acting like a leader despite not knowing what the hell is going on. Then when you question them they get bent out of shape and fall back to some story about being in Iraq. This was the same in every place I worked at in Michigan and the same goes for the job I have here in Utah. Between five jobs in two states, I have to imagine that's more the norm than the exception with regards to behavior. Granted, I've mostly worked in healthcare IT, but I was also a jeweler and antique restorer for a time too... the same thing happened there. I had a similar experience when I did road construction too during the summers when I was in college.

This is, of course, all anecdotal but I'd be curious to see if there's any actual data on it.

But I'm guessing most employers look at what MOS a person had and apply work experience there. It's no different than any other job, it's just how you word it in a resume.

I tend to agree with this. Someone fresh out of the service can be a handful. Thinking back on myself, I was probably pretty bad. It can be really hard to let go of the military mindset but over time it fades although not fully once the person can either let go and integrate back into civilian life or tone it down after a while. For some, transition back into the real world is very difficult. It comes more naturally for others. It's a byproduct of the high stress and overall competitive nature of the US Armed Forces and it's servicemen and women. There should be more emphasis on reintegration training when one is close to the end of their service but when I was in, it was a 3 day reintegration course and it simply wasn't enough.

My father was active duty for 22 years. I was raised in military bases throughout the world. I think that the people that have the ability to save much of what they're earning due to the factors you're listing should be the last people to ask for a handout.

Ken
My father was active duty for 22 years. I was raised in military bases throughout the world. I think that the people that have the ability to save much of what they're earning due to the factors you're listing should be the last people to ask for a handout.

I definitely don't disagree. In a way I kinda wish I'd stuck it out because I'd have 2 years to retirement but 20 years seemed like an eternity to me and I was flat worn out. Hindsight is 20/20. But it'd be cool to draw a pension at 38.

I definitely don't disagree. In a way I kinda wish I'd stuck it out because I'd have 2 years to retirement but 20 years seemed like an eternity to me and I was flat worn out. Hindsight is 20/20. But it'd be cool to draw a pension at 38.

That it would be. No doubt. I couldn't imagine how it'd change my life now than I'm 38 myself.

Bone-in wings are much better than the boneless ones. My friends looked at me as if I was crazy when I proclaimed this.

I didn’t know wings came without bones.

It’s my unpopular opinion (according to the media) that conservatives are far too often labelled “far right” as an easy way to dismis them as if they aren’t worth bothering with. All the “literally Hitler” crap that gets spouted these days is too much.

Certainly Nazis and Fascists exist in this day and age, and nobody likes them, but to announce a person or people as far right just because they are traditionally conservative and don’t have liberal views doesn’t make them akin to Hitler and Mussolini.

I am myself a little right of centre in a lot of my views but for somebody to call me a Nazi* because of that just shows their own level of ignorance and I’m really not offended by being called something I’m not.

*I’ve never directly been called a Nazi but the implication has been there several times. I don’t mean just me though, I mean regular conservatives who are dismissed as right wing just because they don’t agree with liberal ideas.

It's kinda hand in hand with the idea of liberals being snowflakes and all that isn't it? Tit for tat insults which show as much maturity as The Wombles

R5
It's kinda hand in hand with the idea of liberals being snowflakes and all that isn't it? Tit for tat insults which show as much maturity as The Wombles

I suppose yes and no. I’ve used the term snowflake to describe somebody who has got emo over political incorrectness but that doesn’t specifically apply to liberals in general and it isn’t as potentially inflammatory as calling somebody a Nazi. People can lose their jobs over that kind of accusation.

I have opinions which some may seem unpopular or may be offensive to some, some of my opinions even I know they have flaws but I cannot help the way my brain registers and processes things.
People with multi coloured hair when the colours are not natural hair colour eg, green pink blue etc I auto think skanky chav when I see it.

Facebook I dislike a lot and do not use, I believe anyone who spends more than an hour a day on facebook should be banned from using it for the next 23 hours for their own good.

In 2018 my main opinion which offends people is on phones,
I have nearly collided with more than 6 people when I am driving and they are crossing roads without looking as they have their face stuck in a phone, usually a young mum with a kid in tow whom they are not watching either. I have been known to offer some advice to these people in the form of what I call constructive criticism in a slightly raised voice.
Carrying on with phones, People who you go out with or you see at places of interest and spend more time on their phones than socializing with the people they went out with or enjoying the offerings of the place they have gone to.
I have seen people cry hand on heart honesty here when their phones are lost or broken and go in to some kind of stressed out panic attack if they think they have got to continue life without a working phone until they get another one.
Why people cling to phones like it is some sort of life support machine is beyond me.

I also have the opinion that any social tv show IE: The only way is Essex, Love Island, Big Brother etc should be banned I believe these shows like soap operas teach younger viewers the wrong outlook on life and what is decent in the world.

Rant over but it is in the correct thread. Peace to all I don't mean to offend.

I have opinions which some may seem unpopular or may be offensive to some, some of my opinions even I know they have flaws but I cannot help the way my brain registers and processes things.
People with multi coloured hair when the colours are not natural hair colour eg, green pink blue etc I auto think skanky chav when I see it.

Facebook I dislike a lot and do not use, I believe anyone who spends more than an hour a day on facebook should be banned from using it for the next 23 hours for their own good.

In 2018 my main opinion which offends people is on phones,
I have nearly collided with more than 6 people when I am driving and they are crossing roads without looking as they have their face stuck in a phone, usually a young mum with a kid in tow whom they are not watching either. I have been known to offer some advice to these people in the form of what I call constructive criticism in a slightly raised voice.
Carrying on with phones, People who you go out with or you see at places of interest and spend more time on their phones than socializing with the people they went out with or enjoying the offerings of the place they have gone to.
I have seen people cry hand on heart honesty here when their phones are lost or broken and go in to some kind of stressed out panic attack if they think they have got to continue life without a working phone until they get another one.
Why people cling to phones like it is some sort of life support machine is beyond me.

I also have the opinion that any social tv show IE: The only way is Essex, Love Island, Big Brother etc should be banned I believe these shows like soap operas teach younger viewers the wrong outlook on life and what is decent in the world.

Rant over but it is in the correct thread. Peace to all I don't mean to offend.
Wow, I find it just incredible how much you hate people on their cell phones.

Latest Posts

Back