Unpopular Opinions - General Thread

• Thread starter Carbonox
  • 2,977 comments
Watched Star Wars Episode 8 last night.

I’ve watched them all now, at one point or another and I think, I can safely say, I don’t think Star Wars is good. The original ones from the 70’s are kinda fun adventure movies in space. Episode’s 1-3 are awful overly dramatic CGI-nightmares and the new movies are just, boring.

I’ve watched them all now, at one point or another and I think, I can safely say, I don’t think Star Wars is good. The original ones from the 70’s are kinda fun adventure movies in space. Episode’s 1-3 are awful overly dramatic CGI-nightmares and the new movies are just, boring.

If you didn't cry when Luke and Leia were together on screen again, your heart is made of a lead granite composite material.

edit: Or, Carbonite.

Last edited:
If you didn't cry when Luke and Leia were together on screen again, your heart is made of a lead granite composite material.

edit: Or, Carbonite.

I didn’t, that whole thing was dumb fan service. Luke wants **** to change, then realised that Star Wars is to dumb for nuance and so jumps back to a bad recreation of the opening battle from Empire (was it Hoff?) so he can quote Obiwan... l.a.m.e.

I am with you on this unpopular opinion. While I think the movies are decent overall (and I can appreciate the pop-culture impact the movies have had) when you boil them down, they aren't that good.

I, for one, think that the wonderful John Williams soundtrack made a big deal in the success of the movies. Remove the famous music and you're left with something average. ;)

I love David Lee Roth--saw him live twice more than twenty years apart--and I love the music produced by Van Halen while fronted by him...

...but I think the band produced better music while led by Sammy. There may be less quality work from that period than what preceeded it, but I think the best stuff from those years (the pinnacle of that work represented by For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge in its entirety, with a slight dip for Balance, and I suppose the earlier OU812 is...okay) is better than the best from the rest.

Probably not so unpopular...the subsequent Gary Cherone album was a step above absolute trash, its sole saving grace being "Fire In The Hole".

I love David Lee Roth--saw him live twice more than twenty years apart--and I love the music produced by Van Halen while fronted by him...

...but I think the band produced better music while led by Sammy. There may be less quality work from that period than what preceeded it, but I think the best stuff from those years (the pinnacle of that work represented by For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge in its entirety, with a slight dip for Balance, and I suppose the earlier OU812 is...okay) is better than the best from the rest.

Probably not so unpopular...the subsequent Gary Cherone album was a step above absolute trash, its sole saving grace being "Fire In The Hole".

Agreed, though for me it's more because I prefer his voice, Sammy Hagar is simply the better singer. Dreams is one hell of a song to sing with the same sort of strength as Sammy does.

Thread revival...sorta!

Metallica of the late 1990's was best Metallica

Call me crazy, but the band just seemed to mesh well with one another on stage. Performances were tight, everyone had a lot of energy, and I really enjoyed how Newstead fit in with the group. Sure, they partied a little too much, but they were on top of the world, regardless of how well received Load and ReLoad were.

Of course, they're older now, but something just feels off about their shows now; some peice is missing. Maybe it's the energy, maybe they're slowing down physically, like I said, their old.

Still need to get a chance to see them live myself, though!

Just did a couple of months ago. :D

I downloaded some of their older live stuff and it was AMAZING how bad they were in the 80's compared to how tight they sound now.

Metallica as a band have been through some rough times. There’s not much of their stuff I don’t like but people look at me funny when I tell them Hardwired is one of my favourite albums and I don’t mind ...And Justic For All one bit.

Beer is absolutely awful. Ales, lagers, stouts, porters, milds, wheats, bitters, whatever. All of them.
I like all beer

Strongly disagree. Today rap sounds terrible. Like these dudes ain't even talking about anything and not even saying words. Overall im saying. I can't stand the trap beats. Everyone sounds the same. Now it is some new school guys like Kendrick lamar, Jcole and Big sean that's actually being creative and not being a follower along with a few other new school guys.
Agree.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mmmm, Beer and Burgers, love this chat. Beer is best, fresh, hoppy and locally made. Treat it like milk. Support your quality local brewers, not Multi national corporations.

• Sarcasm is bad and should not be taken lightly.
  • People who correct someone's grammar online should not be considered obsessed or demanding.
  • Nickelback is better than a good majority of modern rock bands.
  • Mobile games are not inherently bad or 'evil.'
  • Japanese media (specifically games and animated shows because of the online hype they get) is not inherently better than their Western counterparts.

People who correct someone's grammar online should not be considered obsessed or demanding.
I frequently engage in this behavior and do so with the intent to aid in others bettering themselves rather than to denigrate, so I'm inclined to agree.

Nickelback is better than a good majority of modern rock bands.
I don't listen to modern rock bands and therefore don't have a basis for comparison, but I'm inclined to disagree.

(Even though I don't actually know what the big deal is with hating Nickelback. I mean sure, they're not amazing. But there's nothing wrong with them.)
They took all the goodwill for Canadia's music industry brought forth by Geddy, Alex and Neil, tossed it on the heap, buried it in feces and set it ablaze.

:grumpy:

:lol:
:P

• Nickelback is better than a good majority of modern rock bands.

Nickelback is very odd band in that with a few exceptions only their crappy stuff seems to get airplay, they actually have some pretty good stuff if you look further than their "hits". Granted I wouldn't go so far as them being better than most modern rock bands.

Thread revival...sorta!

Metallica of the late 1990's was best Metallica

Call me crazy, but the band just seemed to mesh well with one another on stage. Performances were tight, everyone had a lot of energy, and I really enjoyed how Newstead fit in with the group. Sure, they partied a little too much, but they were on top of the world, regardless of how well received Load and ReLoad were.

Of course, they're older now, but something just feels off about their shows now; some peice is missing. Maybe it's the energy, maybe they're slowing down physically, like I said, their old.

They had a lot of good songs from that time. I recently purchased a few on iTunes.

TB
Just did a couple of months ago. :D

I downloaded some of their older live stuff and it was AMAZING how bad they were in the 80's compared to how tight they sound now.
I'm desperate to see a Metallica concert.

Metallica as a band have been through some rough times. There’s not much of their stuff I don’t like but people look at me funny when I tell them Hardwired is one of my favourite albums and I don’t mind ...And Justic For All one bit.
Don't mind that album actually. Bought two songs from it. Nice to see that they've stayed true to themselves amidst a time of change and dumb rappers Soundcloud rappers.

• Sarcasm is bad and should not be taken lightly.

Dmx4MA0UYAER5Ea.jpg

What makes you think that?(if you don't mind me asking :))
"Sarcasm I now see to be, in general, the language of the Devil; for which reason I have, long since, as good as renounced it."

--Thomas Carlyle

Rather, as one who utilizes sarcasm frequently--some say too often--I much prefer:

"Sarcasm is not the rapier of wit its wielders seem to believe it to be, but merely a club: it may, by dint of brute force, occasionally raise bruises, but it never cuts or pierces."

--Rex Stout

People who correct someone's grammar online should not be considered obsessed or demanding.
how about we call them way too pedantic for there own good. i mean it's not like were writing a english essay,

/s

It offends me that someone thinks Nickleback is good. It'd be like saying Creed is a good band. :lol:

Looking at their album sales, i would say that at least 11million people worldwide (based on their biggest selling album figures) think Nickleback are good. That's an awful lot of categorically wrong opinion.

It offends me that someone thinks Nickleback is good. It'd be like saying Creed is a good band. :lol:
what-if-nicklback-and-creed-are-the-same-band.jpg

Looking at their album sales, i would say that at least 11million people worldwide (based on their biggest selling album figures) think Nickleback are good. That's an awful lot of categorically wrong opinion.
You're confusing quality with popularity to the Gangnamth degree.

:P

I really don't care enough about either to have strong feelings against, as they're emblematic of a genre that I really paid no attention to (you can add Three Doors Down to that list), but it sure is fun to pick on them.

Latest Posts

Back