Unpopular Opinions - General Thread

• Thread starter Carbonox
  • 2,977 comments
I enjoy good chocolate. Chocolate candy tends to be made using mediocre chocolate and is excessively sweet to compensate. The one chocolate candy I kind of enjoy is a Crunch bar, but that's mainly due to the puffed rice texture--the chocolate itself is mediocre and excessively sweet.

It's not terribly surprising that some are saying they prefer chocolate candy cold when you consider that flavors are dulled as temperature decreases.

TB
Top of them all is the glorious Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. :drool:
I'll always be a Snickers guy but Peanut Butter Cups are a very close second. They are glorious.
The one chocolate candy I kind of enjoy is a Crunch bar
I had a Crunch bar for the first time in what's easily over a decade, a few months ago. Don't know why I hadn't had one in so long because I remember liking them. Anyway, it just tasted so much different from what I remember. Not in a good way either. It wasn't totally horrible but just tasted, I dunno, cheap.

Last edited:
Most chocolate in America is really bad. Hershey's has a vomit vibe.
Agreed, but its just i guess a cultural thing. They use differing ratios of the standard ingredients, but the US also uses a chemical found in cheese, off butter and... vomit. Or rather use a process in the manufacturing of the chocolate that leads to that chemical being produced. :scared:

I had a Crunch bar for the first time in what's easily over a decade, a few months ago. Don't know why I hadn't had one in so long because I remember liking them. Anyway, it just tasted so much different from what I remember. Not in a good way either. It wasn't totally horrible but just tasted, I dunno, cheap.
Yeah, it's been many, many years since I had one myself. I just remember enjoying the crispness from the puffed rice.

I have a sweet tooth, but candy bars (and candy in general) tend to be too much for me. I like pie.

There is a show on Smithsonian Channel called "Inside The Factory" which is actually a British show that showed how a big chocolate candy factory makes their product from start to finish. I think it was a Nestle factory.

But in the show they also talked about the differences between chocolate sold in Britain and in America. They went out on the streets with samples of American and British chocolate along with a couple of others from different parts of Europe for a blind taste test. Every single British person that tried both the American and British chocolate hated the American chocolate. But they also found several Americans who unsurprisingly chose the American chocolate over the British.

I've never had British chocolate to know if I would like it or not. Each night I do eat one of the Ghiradelli 86% Dark Chocolate squares because of it being high in anti-oxidants. They taste good to me.

There is a show on Smithsonian Channel called "Inside The Factory" which is actually a British show that showed how a big chocolate candy factory makes their product from start to finish. I think it was a Nestle factory.

But in the show they also talked about the differences between chocolate sold in Britain and in America. They went out on the streets with samples of American and British chocolate along with a couple of others from different parts of Europe for a blind taste test. Every single British person that tried both the American and British chocolate hated the American chocolate. But they also found several Americans who unsurprisingly chose the American chocolate over the British.

I've never had British chocolate to know if I would like it or not. Each night I do eat one of the Ghiradelli 86% Dark Chocolate squares because of it being high in anti-oxidants. They taste good to me.
Yeah I think there's some anti-melting process in it which makes it taste weird to us. I will contradict myself though and say that Hershey's Symphony is amazing and is the closest thing to British chocolate you can get over there, even if my American friends tell me its 'old man chocolate' every time I get it haha

I'll pretty much eat any chocolate, but I draw the line at Hershey's. It's truly vile.

As for Mars bars being too sweet, lol - here in Glasgow we not only eat them, we deep-fry them in batter first.

That said, I've never actually had a deep fried Mars bar myself (as they do look and sound rather nasty) but Mars bars are on my list of favourites, and nothing beats licking the melted chocolate off a Mars bar that's just been dunked in a hot, frothy latte, then eating the de-chocolated caramel and nougat as if it were a 'diet' version of the bar.

Yeah I think there's some anti-melting process in it which makes it taste weird to us. I will contradict myself though and say that Hershey's Symphony is amazing and is the closest thing to British chocolate you can get over there, even if my American friends tell me its 'old man chocolate' every time I get it haha
I think they also said it might be that more of our chocolate is milk chocolate based which might give it that kind of spoiled taste to you guys.

I had a Hershey’s at the weekend. It’s chocolate, but not too enjoyable. I’d much rather a Dairy Milk.
I do find I have to read the labels a lot these days as so many things are “chocolate flavoured confectionary” rather than proper chocolate.

Dark chocolate takes the prize most of the time. I’m also a fan of white chocolate in reasonable amounts. Kinder Bueno would be my decadent go-to.

If it's not Cadbury's it's not chocolate... :) That said I do like Toblerone and Lindt Dor balls, oh and Ferrero Rocha.

And yeah, I remember trying some Hershey's whilst on holiday in Florida, no thanks yuck.

Last edited:
A cross between Ferrero Rocher and Almond Rocha does sound kinda good. It needs to retain the hazelnut center somehow, though.

I love chocolate but it has to be dark.
We're lucky enough to have a chocolaterie near us that does some amazing single origin dark chocolate.

I don't really eat chocolate bars but if I do it's this. Cherry Ripe double dipped.

images (2).jpeg

With White, Normal and Dark to me it came to age.

I used to love White Chocolate as my favourite but not anymore and Normal has taken over and I think Dark will eventually be my favourite later on

Cadbury’s can’t do much wrong in my eyes. Throw in some cherry and I’ll be gutted it’s not readily stocked at 7 Eleven.
If you can't track any down mate hit me up and I'll help out if needed.
I think Cherry Ripe is an Australian thing.

I finally tried a Mars bar (yay for the International foods section of Publix), and it tastes almost exactly like a Milky Way-branded bar in America. I sense the only difference is a thin layer of caramel between the nougat and chocolate layer. It's a little on the sweet side, and I'm not crazy about the aftertaste, though it's not horribly cloying...nothing that can't be washed away with a quick sip of water.

It said Product of England and has a contest to "win £1000 and for my mate", so there. (Offer was only for UK residents.)

I also bought a Lion Bar and a Violet Crumble, but those are for another day.

Last edited:
I finally tried a Mars bar (yay for the International foods section of Publix), and it tastes almost exactly like a Milky Way-branded bar in America. I sense the only difference is a thin layer of caramel between the nougat and chocolate layer. It says Product of England and has a contest to "win £1000 and my mate", so there.

Rest of Internet tends to kinda-sorta agree.
Now I love a Milky Way. Not so much anymore since I've had some dental work a few years ago. I tend to stay away from the sticky or hard candies. If someone has some left over Halloween candy and some of the smaller than fun size candy, the Milky Way is the first thing I go for.

I'm confused. What exactly is the difference between a Mars Bar (UK) and Milky Way (US)? And for that matter (after looking at some pictures on Google), a 3 Musketeers (US) and Milky Way (UK)?

Last edited:
Milky Way in the UK is a light milky kind of fluff (hard to find the right words) coated in milk chocolate.

I found this on Google
1651533956887.jpeg

Tattoos are terrible looking and an eye sore... just my opinion really... if you got one and like it then more power to you
Most tattoos are awful. My own included. I’ve seen swarths of people walking around today with loads of tattoos and it just ain’t my cup of tea.

Back