Unpopular Opinions - General Thread

• Thread starter Carbonox
  • 2,977 comments
Life is terminal.
This is the unpopular opinions topic, not the unpopular platitudes topic :P
What, to your mind, is a "terminal condition"? Like...bare minimum to be permitted to end one's life. Why that and not less?
A terminal condition is one that is not reversible, as in final, not curable or even treatable.
Should an otherwise healthy cripple whose every task is an unimaginable struggle not be permitted to end what could reasonably be expected (absent unforeseen factors) to be a long life? Why or why not?
It's not my job to decide what ailments should be eligible. If you are in constant unbearable pain? But defining the exact criteria is beyond the scope of this topic.
What of deep emotional trauma, such as a victim of sexual abuse or rape? What of those who have suffered tremendous loss, such as one whose spouse and children were killed in a plane crash that the individual survived? Those for whom no day is tolerable as a result of what they have suffered, much less joyous. Why should they be forced to suffer absent physiological detriment?
There are ways to treat psychological effects of loss, it's not a terminal condition. And as a physically healthy and able individual you have an obligation to society to try to be a contributing member.
Why shouldn't anyone who has consented (and whose consent is otherwise recognized in common law), absent any other exception, be permitted to check out at the time and in the manner (provided that manner can't reasonably be said to harm another) of their choosing?
It costs a lot of resources to bring a child into adulthood, when they can start repaying the debt. And I'm not speaking of student loans alone. Even if you live in a country where education is for free, it is provided with an expectation of becoming a contributing member of society for 30-40 years. So opting out is a dereliction of your duties as part of a civilized society.

And then there is the psychological pain you cause to those who cared about you. Should they then also be permitted to "opt out"?
As it is, I understand this position to be deeply rooted in religious doctrine of which you purported to oppose.
Well, you understand wrong.

Last edited:
m76
And as a physically healthy and able individual you have an obligation to society to try to be a contributing member.
m76
It costs a lot of resources to bring a child into adulthood, when they can start repaying the debt.
m76
[education paid or free]... is provided with an expectation of becoming a contributing member of society for 30-40 years.
OHHHHHHHH BOYY!

Rachael Harris Popcorn GIF by Lucifer

m76
And then there is the psychological pain you cause to those who cared about you. Should they then also be permitted to "opt out"?
No no, don't back track now with "think of the children", because this was an afterthought you added to "sweeten" that interpretation you have of Locke's Social Contract.

Once you start to compound autonomy of body with the concept of societal "dues", you tread into authoritarian statements such as the one you so gracefully showcased above.

Last edited:
m76
This is the unpopular opinions topic, not the unpopular platitudes topic :P
However trite you may think the notion to be, one of exceptionally few certainties that life offers is an end. It may be the only certainty.
m76
A terminal condition is one that is not reversible, as in final, not curable or even treatable.
So it's not even contingent on pain? Dementia surely meets the requirements established above.
m76
It's not my job to decide what ailments should be eligible. If you are in constant unbearable pain? But defining the exact criteria is beyond the scope of this topic.
It's exactly the scope of the topic. You defined the scope when bringing up terminality as a condition for euthanasia and I'm exploring that definition.

I concede that it's not your "job" to make the decision, but as one who maintains the position that access to euthanasia is contingent on terminality, I'd hope you'd have some idea what constitutes terminality for this purpose and why that definition is reasonable.

m76
There are ways to treat psychological effects of loss, it's not a terminal condition.
The efficacy of treatment to deal with emotional trauma (you've acknowledged the loss to which I referred but not the emotional trauma resulting from sexual abuse and rape) is no less variable than trauma itself. Why must one be compelled to endure it simply because treatment exists?
m76
And as a physically healthy and able individual you have an obligation to society to try to be a contributing member.
I don't reject an obligation to society for those who wish to participate in society, but mere existence does not participation in society make. Death eliminates any obligation to society as a condition of participation in society, so why shouldn't one be permitted to waive participation and any obligation on which it's conditioned?
m76
It costs a lot of resources to bring a child into adulthood, when they can start repaying the debt. And I'm not speaking of student loans alone. Even if you live in a country where education is for free, it is provided with an expectation of becoming a contributing member of society for 30-40 years. So opting out is a dereliction of your duties as part of a civilized society.
By that..."logic" (this isn't the word I'm looking for but it'll have to do)...the freedom to leave one's country for another also constitutes supposed dereliction.
m76
And then there is the psychological pain you cause to those who cared about you.
There is no right to not experience loss. When I referred to harm to another, I was thinking more along the lines of one who may drive into oncoming traffic as a means to end their own life, and in doing so, endangers the lives of those in that oncoming traffic.
m76
Should they then also be permitted to "opt out"?
I mean...yes? Did you really expect me to be so inconsistent?
m76
Well, you understand wrong.
Perhaps you could explain it, then, because it doesn't strike me as being rooted in reason.

Hot Chocolate made with hot water is abysmal. It has to be made from hot milk or it's a waste of chocolate.

I like the Monster of the Week formula in TV Shows.

It's a simple concept that works really well for episodes to tell a character based story with the monster serving a obstacle for the characters development while filling the gaps with stories with not too much stakes before the plot comes barging through (as long as they don't wait too late on it and the plot feels rushed)

You don't have an obligation to society any more than society has an obligation to you.
Society as a whole is not an entity that has its own will, so society having an obligation doesn't make sense.
The individuals that are part of society have the obligation, and society only functions if the majority fulfills their obligations. Otherwise it would break down. So willingly and not for reasons beyond your control deciding to opt out of these obligations is a real disgraceful thing to do.

However trite you may think the notion to be, one of exceptionally few certainties that life offers is an end. It may be the only certainty.
Death's finality wasn't in question, only the question of abandoning ship prematurely.
So it's not even contingent on pain? Dementia surely meets the requirements established above.
You are arguing in bad faith, cutting off my pinky is also not reversible so that would also qualify me for ending it? Surely not. I was adding another criteria, was I supposed to be listing them all again?
It's exactly the scope of the topic. You defined the scope when bringing up terminality as a condition for euthanasia and I'm exploring that definition.
I concede that it's not your "job" to make the decision, but as one who maintains the position that access to euthanasia is contingent on terminality, I'd hope you'd have some idea what constitutes terminality for this purpose and why that definition is reasonable.
Of course terminality is necessary. If a condition is curable / reversible / can be effectively mitigated, then why should it qualify someone to be put down? Why would you want to end a human life if it can be saved?
The efficacy of treatment to deal with emotional trauma (you've acknowledged the loss to which I referred but not the emotional trauma resulting from sexual abuse and rape) is no less variable than trauma itself. Why must one be compelled to endure it simply because treatment exists?
Unless someone is beyond saving we have an obligation to try to save them, because every individual is unique and is worth every effort. Also someone suffering from after effects of trauma might not be in a state of mind to be offered suicide as an option. Or do you think suicide prevention should not exist?
I don't reject an obligation to society for those who wish to participate in society, but mere existence does not participation in society make. Death eliminates any obligation to society as a condition of participation in society, so why shouldn't one be permitted to waive participation and any obligation on which it's conditioned?
Quitting does not clear your debt.
By that..."logic" (this isn't the word I'm looking for but it'll have to do)...the freedom to leave one's country for another also constitutes supposed dereliction.
And it is. And many less rich countries are suffering from it. You never heard of "brain drain"?
This is why I'm pro globalism, because the less different countries are, the less slanted migration becomes, and less reason for war exists.
There is no right to not experience loss. When I referred to harm to another, I was thinking more along the lines of one who may drive into oncoming traffic as a means to end their own life, and in doing so, endangers the lives of those in that oncoming traffic.
But there should be a right to not experience emotional trauma?
I mean...yes? Did you really expect me to be so inconsistent?
If this is the hill you want to die on.
Perhaps you could explain it, then, because it doesn't strike me as being rooted in reason.
I already did, weren't you paying attention? Debt to society, the interests of loved ones, and all of those that depend on this person in some way.

Last edited:
I like the Monster of the Week formula in TV Shows.

It's a simple concept that works really well for episodes to tell a character based story with the monster serving a obstacle for the characters development while filling the gaps with stories with not too much stakes before the plot comes barging through (as long as they don't wait too late on it and the plot feels rushed)
For The X Files, the MOTW episodes are generally regarded to be the best ones - the "lore" episodes (the overarching story) were great for a while, until the plot got too convicted IMO.

m76
Death's finality wasn't in question, only the question of abandoning ship prematurely.
You spoke of platitudes and what I was offering is simple reality. Since the reality is that life itself is a terminal condition, there must be a measure by which one gauges the worthiness of one's own early exit. I maintain that this measure is unique to the individual but you would impose your measure, your will, on others.
m76
You are arguing in bad faith, cutting off my pinky is also not reversible so that would also qualify me for ending it? Surely not. I was adding another criteria, was I supposed to be listing them all again?
While it's not likely to be the course of action I'd choose for myself, I don't see any reason to prohibit one's ending their own life after suffering the loss of a pinky. Have you forgotten that you're the one suggesting restrictions on one's right to exit life on their own terms?

You offered a vague "terminal condition" as justification for early exit without, to the best of my recollection, specifying physical pain. I'm trying to explore this as you've determined it to be reasonable justification.

As it happens, plenty of terminal conditions don't themselves cause physical pain. I mentioned crippledom and dementia which, when in the extreme, place significant burden on those suffering these conditions and/or those tasked with their care. Is early exit not reasonably justified in these circumstances? Why or why not? And if it is, why would it not be in others?

m76
Of course terminality is necessary. If a condition is curable / reversible / can be effectively mitigated...
What is mitigation and how is its efficacy measured? Maybe consider the question instead of pussying out by stating you're not in the position to make such determinations, as you're still the one advocating for restrictions on access to specific palliative care.
m76
...then why should it qualify someone to be put down?
Why shouldn't it? Why should there be "qualifications" at all? I'm not the one advocating for these restrictions.
m76
Why would you want to end a human life if it can be saved?
Would I personally? No. I also wouldn't want to personally provide hospice care. I still believe access to these should be unrestricted and governed only by consent as recognized in common law.
m76
Unless someone is beyond saving we have an obligation to try to save them, because every individual is unique and is worth every effort.
Since when is there such an obligation? If one chooses to "save" someone who wants to be "saved," great, but absent either or both of these things, one should not undertake said effort. One should not be required to "save" and one should not be required to be "saved."

Again, this seems like it's rooted in religious doctrine. I know you said it's not, but your rebuttal didn't really go beyond "nuh-uh" and so it wasn't very convincing.

m76
Also someone suffering from after effects of trauma might not be in a state of mind to be offered suicide as an option.
Suicide has never not been an option. When attempts may result in additional suffering for the individual and may also endanger the lives of others, why should access to assistance be so restricted?
m76
Or do you think suicide prevention should not exist?
I'm a big proponent of services to help those who want help dealing with situations that have them considering suicide. I also recognize that some may not want this help and I don't think they should be required to get it.
m76
Quitting does not clear your debt.
There is no debt. I mean...save for actual real debt. This "debt to society" is a machination of your making. The only societal obligations one has are to engage in it without being a burden on it when it is in one's power to not be and to not violate the rights of others. There is no obligation to simply continue engagement.
m76
And it is. And many less rich countries are suffering from it.
Right, I did acknowledge "logic" wasn't the word I was looking for.
m76
You never heard of "brain drain"?
I've seen the term bandied about but it's never struck me as particularly meaningful. When opportunities exist, individuals ought to be permitted to seize them.
m76
This is why I'm pro globalism...
Ah, yes, because there's no more obvious a representation of the spirit of globalism than denying one the right to leave one country for another.
m76
But there should be a right to not experience emotional trauma?
Should there be such a right? There simply isn't one. Such a right couldn't be recognized, respected or protected by enforcement of law.

Though one who has chosen to end their life is unlikely to continue to endure emotional trauma, ending one's life is in accordance with the right to bodily integrity.

m76
If this is the hill you want to die on.
lol

For the record, this supposed hill is me recognizing a right equally and consistently.

m76
I already did, weren't you paying attention? Debt to society, the interests of loved ones, and all of those that depend on this person in some way.
Yeah, no...no reason there. I'm talking about actual reason and not some "reason" (or rather justification) you've proposed. There is no debt to society of which you speak and the interests of loved ones or dependency on an individual are not reasonable justifications for denying one access to a means to exit life on their terms insofar as it results in minimal suffering to the individual and does not expose others to physical harm. One may take into consideration loved ones and/or dependants, but that's a part of their choice.

Hot Chocolate made with hot water is abysmal. It has to be made from hot milk or it's a waste of chocolate.
I also used to believe chocolate made with water was a waste. BUT then I met something called Espuma de Cacao / Cocoa Foam in a place called Festival del Cacao / Cacao Festival here in Mexico City last year. It is a prehispanic beverage that sadly does not receive enough recognition around here.

All I can say is: Our ancestors were on point with it.👌

You spoke of platitudes and what I was offering is simple reality. Since the reality is that life itself is a terminal condition, there must be a measure by which one gauges the worthiness of one's own early exit. I maintain that this measure is unique to the individual but you would impose your measure, your will, on others.
You pivoted to talk about something else instead of addressing the point. Why are you so eager to see people end themselves?
I think human life has more value than to throw it away for frivolous reasons. Am I the big bad for valuing their lives more than they value their own?
While it's not likely to be the course of action I'd choose for myself, I don't see any reason to prohibit one's ending their own life after suffering the loss of a pinky. Have you forgotten that you're the one suggesting restrictions on one's right to exit life on their own terms?
You forget that currently there is no such right, anything I suggest is more than what's already available. Either way this is not just about the person committing suicide, they have a responsibility to others whether you want to acknowledge that or not.
You offered a vague "terminal condition" as justification for early exit without, to the best of my recollection, specifying physical pain. I'm trying to explore this as you've determined it to be reasonable justification.
Because I assumed having a deliberating physical condition that makes living hell, is already a given and not under debate. I didn't even consider the possibility that someone would want to end their lives without that condition being met, because it totally goes against my own morality and values.
As it happens, plenty of terminal conditions don't themselves cause physical pain. I mentioned crippledom and dementia which, when in the extreme, place significant burden on those suffering these conditions and/or those tasked with their care. Is early exit not reasonably justified in these circumstances? Why or why not? And if it is, why would it not be in others?
I remember leaving the exact conditions open for as I'm no medical expert and don't know all ailments that can cause life to be unbearable.
What is mitigation and how is its efficacy measured? Maybe consider the question instead of pussying out by stating you're not in the position to make such determinations, as you're still the one advocating for restrictions on access to specific palliative care.
That's actually one of society's big problems. The inability to say "I don't know" No, everybody wants to be an expert on everything, because they see admitting to not knowing something as weakness. So no "pussying out" as you say is not a weakness, it is a strength where I recognize the limits of my knowledge.

So no I'm not going to even attempt to answer a question I do not know the answer to. Just because I do not know how to fix the crankshaft pulley in a car doesn't mean I have to automatically accept the judgement that the car has to go to the junkyard.
Why shouldn't it? Why should there be "qualifications" at all? I'm not the one advocating for these restrictions.
No, your advocating for everyone to have the right to just off themselves willy-nilly. But I already explained why that is a problem. Going in circles won't change my stance on social debt, and the rights of the people left behind.
Would I personally? No. I also wouldn't want to personally provide hospice care. I still believe access to these should be unrestricted and governed only by consent as recognized in common law.
Here is the gun, go end yourself is not care.
Since when is there such an obligation? If one chooses to "save" someone who wants to be "saved," great, but absent either or both of these things, one should not undertake said effort. One should not be required to "save" and one should not be required to be "saved."
So if you see a person lying on the street clutching his chest, you'd step over him, because you have no obligation to save anybody? Nice. I'm beginning to see the problem here. In this the person who feels suicidal and the one having a heart attack, are no different than the other, they are both people in need.
Again, this seems like it's rooted in religious doctrine. I know you said it's not, but your rebuttal didn't really go beyond "nuh-uh" and so it wasn't very convincing.
It is the realization that every human being alive has had a minuscule chance of existing, so killing any one is like destroying something invaluable and irreplaceable. It has nothing to do with religious doctrine, no matter how much you insist. In this I'm no more religious than Richard Dawkins.

"We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones. Most people are never going to die because they are never going to be born. The potential people who could have been here in my place but who will in fact never see the light of day outnumber the sand grains of Sahara. Certainly those unborn ghosts include greater poets than Keats, scientists greater than Newton. We know this because the set of possible people allowed by our DNA so massively exceeds the set of actual people. In the teeth of these stupefying odds it is you and I, in our ordinariness, that are here."
Suicide has never not been an option. When attempts may result in additional suffering for the individual and may also endanger the lives of others, why should access to assistance be so restricted?

I'm a big proponent of services to help those who want help dealing with situations that have them considering suicide. I also recognize that some may not want this help and I don't think they should be required to get it.
So how do you decide if someone needs help to deal with a situation or just a gun to the head? That's all I'm advocating for, do everything else possible before actual assisted suicide is even on the table.
There is no debt. I mean...save for actual real debt. This "debt to society" is a machination of your making. The only societal obligations one has are to engage in it without being a burden on it when it is in one's power to not be and to not violate the rights of others. There is no obligation to simply continue engagement.
So every facility, every infrastructure, every social net, that you use and take for granted, you think just exists and come out of nothing? Or are they machinations of my making?

I've seen the term bandied about but it's never struck me as particularly meaningful. When opportunities exist, individuals ought to be permitted to seize them.
And nobody said anything about banning individuals from doing anything. that's the exact opposite of what I'm saying. If you want to keep migrants out don't build a wall, invest in their home countries to improve economic conditions. That's where most conservatives fail the litmus test, they'll always choose to build a bigger wall and have bigger guns to defend it. But that just results in those wanting the riches inside using more desperate measures too.
Ah, yes, because there's no more obvious a representation of the spirit of globalism than denying one the right to leave one country for another.
Who said denying the right? With globalism there is no overwhelming economic incentive to leave one country for other, it's still allowed.
Should there be such a right? There simply isn't one. Such a right couldn't be recognized, respected or protected by enforcement of law.
Then why did you use that as an argument for assisted suicide?
Though one who has chosen to end their life is unlikely to continue to endure emotional trauma, ending one's life is in accordance with the right to bodily integrity.
There is no absolute right to bodily integrity because your choices affects others too. For example you can't opt out of certain vaccines.
lol

For the record, this supposed hill is me recognizing a right equally and consistently.

Yeah, no...no reason there. I'm talking about actual reason and not some "reason" (or rather justification) you've proposed. There is no debt to society of which you speak and the interests of loved ones or dependency on an individual are not reasonable justifications for denying one access to a means to exit life on their terms insofar as it results in minimal suffering to the individual and does not expose others to physical harm. One may take into consideration loved ones and/or dependants, but that's a part of their choice.
If it affects others it is not their choice purely. There must be restrictions on what an individual is allowed to do based on how it affects others, even if we assume zero value to the individual themselves.

m76
Here is the gun, go end yourself is not care.
Sorry to butt in, but physician assisted suicide very much is a component of care where it is legal. It might not be care you like (and it definitely doesn't involve guns), but it is a form.

m76
You pivoted to talk about something else instead of addressing the point. Why are you so eager to see people end themselves?
I think human life has more value than to throw it away for frivolous reasons. Am I the big bad for valuing their lives more than they value their own?
Yes, yes you are the big bad. The value or lack thereof that someone else puts on their own life is none of your business.
m76
You forget that currently there is no such right, anything I suggest is more than what's already available. Either way this is not just about the person committing suicide, they have a responsibility to others whether you want to acknowledge that or not.
What is this responsibility to others that you keep talking about? When the time comes for me to decide to end my life I don't have a responsibility to ANYONE else.
m76
Because I assumed having a deliberating physical condition that makes living hell, is already a given and not under debate. I didn't even consider the possibility that someone would want to end their lives without that condition being met, because it totally goes against my own morality and values.
And those are your values but you can't impose those values on someone else.
m76
No, your advocating for everyone to have the right to just off themselves willy-nilly. But I already explained why that is a problem. Going in circles won't change my stance on social debt, and the rights of the people left behind.
No you haven't explained why that is a problem. I have no one to worry about that is left behind. No wife, no kids, nobody. So I'm not concerned at all about anyone's rights other than my own.
m76
There is no absolute right to bodily integrity because your choices affects others too. For example you can't opt out of certain vaccines.

If it affects others it is not their choice purely. There must be restrictions on what an individual is allowed to do based on how it affects others, even if we assume zero value to the individual themselves.
Now you just contradicted yourself in these two paragraphs. First you said, "There is no absolute right to bodily integrity because because your choices affect others too."

But then you said "IF" it affects others then it is not their choice purely. So which one is it?

Sorry to butt in, but physician assisted suicide very much is a component of care where it is legal. It might not be care you like (and it definitely doesn't involve guns), but it is a form.
I don't know of any place where it is an unquestionable right that you can just ask for because you are feeling a bit down one day.

Yes, yes you are the big bad. The value or lack thereof that someone else puts on their own life is none of your business.
If you wanted to respond then respond, this is avoiding the question. The value they put on their life is none of my business, my business is the value I put on their life.
What is this responsibility to others that you keep talking about? When the time comes for me to decide to end my life I don't have a responsibility to ANYONE else.
Sorry, but being in denial about something is not an argument. You have a responsibility to your peers, whether you like it or not. Unless you choose to be a selfish bastard and give zero Fs about everyone but No1.
And those are your values but you can't impose those values on someone else.
Self determination is not a ticket to do anything. Your personal freedom can only extend as far as to not encroach on others. And abandoning your responsibilities is encroaching on others, because they have to pick up the slack.
No you haven't explained why that is a problem. I have no one to worry about that is left behind. No wife, no kids, nobody. So I'm not concerned at all about anyone's rights other than my own.
Exactly you have no worry, because all you can think of is "me me me me me me, what about me" While you are living you take every amenity society gave you for granted. You have a moral obligation to contribute to society if you are going to partake in its benefits. It's part of the social contract.
Now you just contradicted yourself in these two paragraphs. First you said, "There is no absolute right to bodily integrity because because your choices affect others too."

But then you said "IF" it affects others then it is not their choice purely. So which one is it?
LOL, those two statements say exactly the same thing. Maybe you should re-examine them.

Your right to bodily integrity is not absolute, because you have no free choice in things that affects other individuals. Like the aforementioned vaccination example. You don't even have the right to wear whatever you want, as you have to observe rules of basic decency.

Last edited:
m76
I don't know of any place where it is an unquestionable right that you can just ask for because you are feeling a bit down one day.

If you wanted to respond then respond, this is avoiding the question. The value they put on their life is none of my business, my business is the value I put on their life.
I avoided nothing. The value that you put on someone else's life ends right there, with you. You cannot impose that on someone else.
m76
Sorry, but being in denial about something is not an argument. You have a responsibility to your peers, whether you like it or not. Unless you choose to be a selfish bastard and give zero Fs about everyone but No1.
Me choosing how and when to end my own life is a responsibility to everyone else. Why become so old and broken down that now you are a burden on society?
m76
Self determination is not a ticket to do anything. Your personal freedom can only extend as far as to not encroach on others. And abandoning your responsibilities is encroaching on others, because they have to pick up the slack.
What is this responsibility you keep hammering on about? The only responsibility someone has is while they are alive. Once they are gone so is that responsibility. Who is picking up what slack?
m76
Exactly you have no worry, because all you can think of is "me me me me me me, what about me" While you are living you take every amenity society gave you for granted. You have a moral obligation to contribute to society if you are going to partake in its benefits. It's part of the social contract.
So you're saying there is a moral obligation and a social contract that says a person is required to live as long as they can regardless of what their condition is at those advanced ages?
m76
LOL, those two statements say exactly the same thing. Maybe you should re-examine them.

Your right to bodily integrity is not absolute, because you have no free choice in things that affects other individuals. Like the aforementioned vaccination example. You don't even have the right to wear whatever you want, as you have to observe rules of basic decency.
Maybe you should understand that you can say one statement is 100% true then in the next statement say if that statement isn't true, that's a contradiction. There is no rule of basic decency that says someone has to live for as long as they can. That's something you've made up in your own head.

m76
Advice from someone who made the same mistake and almost lost a friend because of it and still live the regret of what I said. Don't ever call someone selfish when they consider taking their own life, regardless if it's for a logical reason or a suicidal reason.

Remakes are code for "We can't come up with anything original."
Or rather - we lack the courage to try something new and take risks because it could flop and we could lose a lot of money. Instead, lets resurrect and polish something we KNOW works.

Sadly that's what the gaming industry is about these days. Game development is so ridiculously expensive nowadays nobody dares to take risks and be innovative anymore. Well, besides some indie studios.
That's why the gaming sector consist of remakes and always the same games with minor updates and graphical improvements.

Last edited:
Wouldn't that also apply to sequels, prequels, and pretty much anything that's a second season or beyond?
I can see where you're coming from in terms of Sequels. But, if it's an open ending, or a cliff hanger, combining the two makes it one game in essence.

Or rather - we lack the courage to try something new and take risks
Funny because that was pretty much the 90's in a nutshell.

Or rather - we lack the courage to try something new and take risks because it could flop and we could lose a lot of money. Instead, lets resurrect and polish something we KNOW works.
This is exactly it.

Film companies now are funded by risk management types who want to bank on an existing property because new stuff is always a risk.

Back in the days of studio funded films, the companies were much more inclined towards film as an artist medium than a guaranteed wallet filler. That’s not to say today’s movies aren’t good, there’s just not as much originality.

@MatskiMonk, it’s about 6 total plots according to modern research.

Same goes for films. Reboots and remakes everywhere.

Same goes for films. Reboots and remakes everywhere.
While Video games are a bit different to Film, there are some films out there that still have a wee bit risk taking involved.

Jordan Peele's a good example with Us and Nope.

Back