Unpopular Opinions - General Thread

• Thread starter Carbonox
  • 2,977 comments
I've never watched Forrest Gump but that prompts me to remember how much I hate most fairy tale princess type stories. The ones I'm familiar with have an air of
"All a girl needs is a handsome prince and she'll live happily ever after. By the way, she must be beautiful".
Cinderella being one example.
Agreed, and most of that's down to Disney as well, read the original Grimm's works and they are as dark as anything.

I love the Forrest Gump movie. It’s the first time I heard so many brilliant tracks such as Freebird and Fortunate Son and got me listening to bands I might have missed like The Doors and Fleetwood Mac.

I think Forrest Gump is a good film but I wouldn't put it on a pedestal about what your approach or attitude to life should be.

---

Oreos are absolutely disgusting.

Sugar-free Gullon "Oreos" exist solely to make real Oreos seem appetizing in comparison. Little more than sweetened chalk sandwiched between slivers of dirt.

Last edited:
The Oreo wafers themselves are kinda good, but then it's also super easy to make wafer cookies that taste just like them (better, even) and I have control over exactly what goes into them.

My dad likes the double stuffed Oreos for some reason. I agree that the filling itself is the worst part of an Oreo, so this never made much sense to me.

Seriously, if they sell just the chocolare cookies themselves, I'd much rather buy those instead.

Last edited:
Oreos are only good once soaked in milk. I still would eat one over any Girl Scout cookie though, I really don’t get why everyone looses their minds over those flavored bits of cardboard.

Seriously, if they sell just the chocolare cookies themselves, I'd much rather buy those instead.
The Oreo wafers can be purchased in bulk; they're used frequently in desserts.

Nabisco (the company that markets Oreo) offers the same product to the consumer, not identifiable as Oreo, under the Famous Chocolate Wafer label.

The cookie part tastes the worst. Like eating MDF.
I have to imagine you get a different product. It's garbage nutritionally, and there are way too many things in them to make them viable for commercial distribution, but they're a decent product otherwise. I'm not sure I could chalk the difference up to age, because even months after the best by date, the wafers really only lose some of their snap and the filling dries out a little.

Last edited:
My dad likes the double stuffed Oreos for some reason. I agree that the filling itself is the worst part of an Oreo, so this never made much sense to me.
The filling is the best part in my opinion. :P

I legitimately only know 3 people that don't like Oreos, though I am sure theirs more who feel the same if I took the time to look.

The only time I’ve “enjoyed” Oreos is when I’ve been out cycling and need maximum calories for minimum space and money. A little 3 pack runs for pennies here and packs as much sugar as a Coke.
I’d much rather have a pop (not Coke though) but pocket space is a premium in a cycling jersey and Oreos are faster to consume.

Thinking about it, even the off brand Oreo type biscuits are better than the real ones.

Well maintained, trimmed Mustaches are cool.

Even though people associate mustaches with tons of uncool and weird stuff, I'll always find them cool, and I will always sport one.

Hell, firemen are cool, and drill instructors are cool, and so are cops, Tom Selleck and dads. Classic mustaches rock no matter what people say!

Last edited:
Well maintained, trimmed Mustaches are cool.

Even though people associate mustaches with tons of uncool and weird stuff, I'll always find them cool, and I will always sport one.

Hell, firemen are cool, and drill instructors are cool, and so are cops, Tom Selleck and dads. Classic mustaches rock no matter what people say!

Oddly, as somebody who generally dislikes most forms of facial hair, I find myself slightly in agreement. When I think of WW2 colonels with their shoe brush tashes I do think it’s pretty cool.

That said, I think the element of “cool” for a tash is situational and require a certain face type and social standing to pull it off. Scientists with moustaches, pretty cool, Ballet dancers, not cool.

Facial hair in general is something I could ramble about for a long time. Perhaps we should have a dedicated thread.

Oddly, as somebody who generally dislikes most forms of facial hair, I find myself slightly in agreement. When I think of WW2 colonels with their shoe brush tashes I do think it’s pretty cool.
Interestingly, and surprisingly, when I first grew a 'stache the general reaction was actually very positive. Male co-workers and other people I meet regularly actually threated me with more respect and more than one random woman asked me if I was in the military or something. (In a non-sarcastic, flirty way). First I thought this was just my imagination, but it really changed how people threated me.

Facial hair in general is something I could ramble about for a long time. Perhaps we should have a dedicated thread.
aaaaand I just did that!

Last edited:
Canadians don't say "eh", they say "ay".

Get it right.

Aboot time somebody points this out!

We don't even say it like that! :mad:

:lol:

Fair enough when it comes to "eh", it's not spelled in a way that helps discern the way it is pronounced, but that's true for many words in English. "Aboot", however, is not how we pronounce "about" at all. It might sound like "a boat" to some ears who are more used to emphasizing the "bout", but a boot? Really? :lol:

It might sound like "a boat" to some ears who are more used to emphasizing the "bout", but a boot? Really? :lol:

Aboat is definitely how it sounds, ay?

The aboot the hoose thing is just... not true. Aboot the hoose is closer to fake Scottish than fake Canadian. Maybe it comes from a time when there was a huge wave of Scottish immigration and you might have been more likely to hear it that way but Canadians just don't sound like that any more.

It might sound like "a boat" to some ears who are more used to emphasizing the "bout", but a boot? Really? :lol:
Really.

My brain hears boot rather than boat.

I also hear Yanny over Laurel or whatever that thing was a few years ago if that makes any difference. :lol:

I’ve met Nova Scotians who still speak like that stereotype. Some of them sound more Scottish than some Scots.
That's hilarious. :lol:

Really.

My brain hears boot rather than boat.

I also hear Yanny over Laurel or whatever that thing was a few years ago if that makes any difference. :lol:

Interesting. Do you know which province(s) they are from?

The Mandela Effect does not exist, and is not something "fun" or "worth celebrating", it's just "collective ignorance".

It's just a name invented by idiots trying to explain away their ignorance and come up with an excuse for being wrong in an argument. Other people sharing your delusions doesn't make it any more correct.

Last edited:
The thing about the so-called Mandela effect is that I never thought Nelson Mandela was dead until he actually did die. So for that to be the one which gained enough traction as a trope namer is lame because it's one of the ones which has never affected me.

Edit: It should be the Berenstain Effect. Could have sworn blind they were the Berenstein Bears.

Last edited:
Cats are rubbish.

My uncle used to have cats, and the last time I saw him, his cat attacked me for no apparent reason.

Two of my best friends have cats, one of which is quite old and my friend has had him for years. On Monday, his cat bit him in the ankle, causing a serious infection and he's been off work since. Today he is on antibiotics and is feeling a bit better, but he cannot stand or even sit comfortably thanks to pain in his tendon, so he is lying on the sofa all day. Some loyalty from a pet he's had for many years!

Back