Unpopular Opinions - General Thread

• Thread starter Carbonox
  • 2,977 comments
I spent years telling my wife that bread should never be refrigerated. Frozen, yes, refrigerated, no.

When we lived in the warm and humid climate of South Florida, you had to put bread in the refrigerator within 48-72 hours of buying it, or else it would get moldy. We rarely ate an entire loaf in that time, so you got used to toasting it for sandwiches.

Last edited:
When we lived in the warm and humid climate of South Florida, you had to put bread in the refrigerator within 48-72 hours of buying it, or else it would get moldy. We rarely ate an entire loaf in that time, so you got used to toasting it for sandwiches.

I get a few days here if it’s fresh bread outside of a freezer. The cheap nasty bread seems to last forever and also tastes exactly like McDonald’s buns. Odd that.
I’ve never tried toasting fridge bread. I assumed it would be soggy from the moisture.

Unpopular opinion: The Caribbean is an overrated place to vacation. I've been to Aruba and Turks & Caicos before and those are absolutely stunning, but the places that wowed me the most are actually here in the United States. I would say the UP is the most beautiful and serene place I have ever visited, with the Grand Canyon and Acadia as honorable mentions. Plus, these US destinations don't cost $10,000 or more, not even anywhere close.

Unpopular opinion: The Caribbean is an overrated place to vacation. I've been to Aruba and Turks & Caicos before and those are absolutely stunning, but the places that wowed me the most are actually here in the United States. I would say the UP is the most beautiful and serene place I have ever visited, with the Grand Canyon and Acadia as honorable mentions. Plus, these US destinations don't cost $10,000 or more, not even anywhere close.

UP? Michigan’s Upper Peninsula? Very beautiful.
A2A59231-F0D0-4B48-9159-4FB5B4D63303.jpeg

View attachment 983527
Yes. My family plus extended family up there once for a whole week and basically hit every tourist spot there (Mackinac Island/Grand Hotel, Isle Royale, Pictured Rocks, Kitch-iti-Kipi, and a few different beaches, waterfalls, and hiking trails that I don't remember the name of). It was like nothing I've ever seen before. When my parents announced we were going to Michigan I was pretty bummed out but that was because I didn't even know of the UP. The beaches were one of the best parts in my opinion, with their crystal-clear Caribbean like waters. In August (when we went) the water gets up to about 68-70 degrees so its warm enough for swimming. Best vacation I've ever been on and would definitely do it again.

Yes. My family plus extended family up there once for a whole week and basically hit every tourist spot there (Mackinac Island/Grand Hotel, Isle Royale, Pictured Rocks, Kitch-iti-Kipi, and a few different beaches, waterfalls, and hiking trails that I don't remember the name of). It was like nothing I've ever seen before. When my parents announced we were going to Michigan I was pretty bummed out but that was because I didn't even know of the UP. The beaches were one of the best parts in my opinion, with their crystal-clear Caribbean like waters. In August (when we went) the water gets up to about 68-70 degrees so its warm enough for swimming. Best vacation I've ever been on and would definitely do it again.

I did a year (well a semester) of grad school up there, and played hockey up there all the time growing up. It’s different than the rest of the country.

I would say the UP is the most beautiful and serene place I have ever visited...

Shhhhhhh... Don't let the secret out! All of us wannabe Yoopers don't want land prices to go up in Michigan's most beautiful place.

Truth be told, the northlands of the UP, along with northern Wisconsin and Minnesota up to their Superior shores, are also my favorite place on earth. The natural beauty, no matter the season, is breathtaking. The simplicity and peacefulness of these areas just oozes from every nook and cranny of every last forest, meadow, and stream.

Shhhhhhh... Don't let the secret out! All of us wannabe Yoopers don't want land prices to go up in Michigan's most beautiful place.

Truth be told, the northlands of the UP, along with northern Wisconsin and Minnesota up to their Superior shores, are also my favorite place on earth. The natural beauty, no matter the season, is breathtaking. The simplicity and peacefulness of these areas just oozes from every nook and cranny of every last forest, meadow, and stream.

Really, anything in Michigan really Big Rapids, Cadillac, Mt. Pleasent northward is great. I mean, where is there within a thousand miles (two thousand miles), you can go to sand dunes like we see in the north west coast of the Lower Peninsula?

Starting to turn this thread into the Michigan travel bureau. People, we are joking! It’s a cesspool of meth and filth.

(Though there are pockets of such filth. A small terrorist-like group does call the UP home.)

I feel like I live within another open secret in southwest Wisconsin. The whole corridor along the upper Mississippi River is grand; I've driven the Great River Road to Minneapolis several times. I feel at home here.

Definitely don't tell anyone about the excellent driving/riding experiences to be had in our remotest hills. Well, it isn't sarcasm to add that the road quality often sucks. Wisconsin ranked 49th above Alaska in road quality one recent year.

I feel like I live within another open secret in southwest Wisconsin. The whole corridor along the upper Mississippi River is grand; I've driven the Great River Road to Minneapolis several times. I feel at home here.

Definitely don't tell anyone about the excellent driving/riding experiences to be had in our remotest hills. Well, it isn't sarcasm to add that the road quality often sucks. Wisconsin ranked 49th above Alaska in road quality one recent year.

What? You mean states have worse roads than Michigan?

Really, anything in Michigan really Big Rapids, Cadillac, Mt. Pleasent northward is great. I mean, where is there within a thousand miles (two thousand miles), you can go to sand dunes like we see in the north west coast of the Lower Peninsula?
Sailing the coast is outstanding. The lakeside towns, towering sand dunes, and coastline islands are incredible.

Starting to turn this thread into the Michigan travel bureau. People, we are joking! It’s a cesspool of meth and filth.
Listen to these words of truth! I live 20 minutes from the meth capital of Michigan! Nothing but meth heads and expensive car insurance here!

It’s a cesspool of meth and filth.

As someone who lived in South West Michigan for a number of years, this is mostly true. I lived about 45 minutes south of Grand Rapids and it wasn't uncommon to see freshly exploded meth houses on my way home from work.

Also, reading the last few posts is making me homesick. I like Utah and all, but Michigan really was something else. Shame that the job market there blows.

As someone who lived in South West Michigan for a number of years, this is mostly true. I lived about 45 minutes south of Grand Rapids and it wasn't uncommon to see freshly exploded meth houses on my way home from work.

Also, reading the last few posts is making me homesick. I like Utah and all, but Michigan really was something else. Shame that the job market there blows.

Yeah, I know where you lived. Having a major pharmaceutical company having it’s HQ there is kinda ironic.

@GranTurNismo, where there is extremely poor people (Michigan has some of the poorest counties in the country), there is excessive meth and more recently, opioid use.

I can attest to Wisconsin having a few hidden gems for driving roads. My grandparents own a property in the far western part of the state near the Iowa border, and many of the back roads are perfect rally stage material: tight, blind corners, lots of elevation change, humps and bumps,and a lane just wide enough to fit two cars at once. In fact it was even more like a WRC route this summer when the county put down a layer of gravel.

The road they live on has some particularly great segments, like the corner by their neighbor that has you descend into a sweeping apex before shooting up a hill on the other end, and going both ways! I've also traveled Highway 35 along the upper Mississippi River, and the scenery is gorgeous.

What? You mean states have worse roads than Michigan?

Mississippi says bump. Illinois and Michigan are right up there. Alabama is sketchy at times. New Mexico's roads are a work-in-progress (outside of Albuquerque) with the last progress about 60 years ago.

Wisconsin actually does a pretty good job with their roads, considering their weather. It's not on a level with California, Florida, and Arizona for obvious reasons, but I'll take the wide shoulders, decent maintenance, and good signage/marking consistency when conditions might be miserable.

(Wisconsin Highway 78 was also a lot of fun.)

Last edited:
There's a show on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim called Joe Pera Talks To You. It's about this sort of nerdy middle school choir teacher and it's set in Marquette, Michigan. I think it's actually filmed somewhere in that region. There are a lot of outdoor scenes showing rivers, mountains, and forests. Some very nice looking land up there.

Out of all the character archetypes on the internet that you might come across, gatekeeping oldheads who hate everything about [X] franchise/series past a certain date and won’t give any aspect of anything new the time of day are the worst.

Over my years of interneting, I have come to realize that it’s fruitless and a waste of energy to attempt to have any sort of meaningful discussion about popular culture with people who think this way.

Last edited:
Out of all the character archetypes on the internet that you might come across, gatekeeping oldheads who hate everything about [X] franchise/series past a certain date and won’t give any aspect of anything new the time of day are the worst.

Over my years of interneting, I have come to realize that it’s fruitless and a waste of energy to attempt to have any sort of meaningful discussion about popular culture with people who think this way.

Though, to be fair, when it comes to some things, like music, some of the die hards opinions can be correct and taken seriously. How many people actually like the later music from the Stones? Metallica? Eminem?

But also on the flip side, they were wrong about Axl Rose leading AC/DC. Many said that’d be bad, to be proven wrong. Very wrong.

Sports is another place. I’m a baseball fan, and see it generation upon generation of near hateful levels of the modern eras of baseball. “It hasn’t been the same since the steroid era.” “Statistical analysis has killed the game.” Etc, etc. and ultimately that hate towards the game is why that sport has now languished behind many other sports (outside the fact the game actually being a bit boring for even some diehard fans).

Last edited:
On the whole, eating with a teaspoon is nicer than eating with a tablespoon. Or little spoon and big spoon, if you prefer.

Why would you ever eat anything with a tablespoon? They should only be used for serving food and measuring ingredients.

I just ate my cereal with a table spoon. I don’t think I even have a tea spoon in the house.

Back