Unrealistic driving

• Thread starter LVracerGT
  • 172 comments
United States
Iowa, USA
LVracerGT
Is anyone else completely annoyed by the fact all the top times are a completely unrealistic driving style, pitching the car into corners, down shifting and up shifting immediately etc?

I've been putting laps down for two days, and I know I have room for improvement but I'm six tenths off the top time using realistic methods. I know it won't happen, but PD needs to weed out the people that are taking advantage of the physics. There is no way driving like A7X does would be faster in real life, not to mention the tires would be gone in a matter of laps. And it seems more people have adopted this now to break into faster territory.

/rant

wavey.gif

Haha. Are you poking fun at me or acknowledging you've adopted the unrealistic style for faster times?

PD should be more serious about this since they're looking for someone to put in a real car.

I say put tire wear on and make it a 15 lap challenge, then take the average lap time over all 15 laps as your recorded time.

LVracerGT
Is anyone else completely annoyed by the fact all the top times are a completely unrealistic driving style, pitching the car into corners, down shifting and up shifting immediately etc?

I've been putting laps down for two days, and I know I have room for improvement but I'm six tenths off the top time using realistic methods. I know it won't happen, but PD needs to weed out the people that are taking advantage of the physics. There is no way driving like A7X does would be faster in real life, not to mention the tires would be gone in a matter of laps. And it seems more people have adopted this now to break into faster territory.

/rant

Gotta do what you gotta do to make it. I agree it is very unrealistic but that's not gonna stop me from doing it also. Sometimes you have to adapt to succeed or else you'll get left behind with excuses.

It's a challenge they put up.
We can be happy to have an opportunity like that.

Sure how the first times are achieved is not the way they would be in real life (no driver pushes himself to 100%, that would be irresponsible). IRL no retry after a crash, no 2 weeks with several hours a day to get the time,...

All that is true. And I also think that but...

But just adapt, that is also a quality a quality race driver needs to have.

If every body in RL cuts a corner and you are the only one not, you the loser of the game.

Just adapt. Be lucky to get this chance granted.

The game doesn't calculate average times, so good luck with that.

This just seems like a bit of jealousy because someone is using a different driving style and it's faster than your driving style.

I drive however I have to to set fast times in sims. I then go to autox and contend for overall PAX time, utilizing heel toe downshifting OR more likely staying in 2nd focusing on a smooth line and removing the need for a shift. The point? Our brains are able to tell the difference between Sim and real life, it's just a matter of how you apply it. Your rant is pointless.

the objective is to cross the finish line as fast as possible without being DQ'd by the software, any kind of "realistic driving style" goes out the window considering the stakes.

/rant

:sly: Yeap, but just a little.
I thinks that's part of the challenge... so I fail. :crazy:

I'm not jealous. It was the same way last year and I still drove realistically and had fast times. I had to stop in the last round last year because I was still in school and would not have been able to go.

I just think that PD should be more strict with how the times are achieved considering what is the end prize/goal. And I know the game doesn't calculate average lap times, it was merely a suggestion that would keep everyone honest and realistic, not to mention IRL you need to be able to stay consistent over a stint, manage tires, and still be quick. Like S3 racer said, you don't have weeks of hot lapping to get one fast time.

BTW I'm in top 32 right now, so it's not like I'm not competitive and I will still keep pushing to achieve faster times. But I will do it the right way, unless it comes down to possibly not making the cut. Only then will I possibly adopt the unrealistic style.

I expected a challenge on the 8-5, and I'm fine with that, but it's just such a cheap method to create one. No driver would even dare race with a car set up like that, much less drive to those standards.

I'm using the method, and doing pretty well, but I really would've preferred a more realistic challenge.

If you wanted to make it realistic, you would have to serious update the feel of the car theyve given us which IMO is rubbish, then sort out the physics making the grass very slippery, then force everyone to race cockpit view, then give everyone a practice session followed by a quali session. :)

Ask yourself if selecting someone on the basis of one single lap out of hundreds (with X% of those probably ending up with a serious crash if they were done IRL) is realistic to begin with and get over it. It's a test of certain skills, nothing more, nothing less.

In a real race car it is much easier to be consistent and fast without crashing as you get so much more feedback of what is going on

In a real race car it is much easier to be consistent and fast without crashing as you get so much more feedback of what is going on

agreed, FFB can only provide so much, without the sense of speed or G forces on the body it's a lot harder to find the car's threshold.

Gotta do what you gotta do to make it. I agree it is very unrealistic but that's not gonna stop me from doing it also. Sometimes you have to adapt to succeed or else you'll get left behind with excuses.

And to think that they don't want anybody that's had a "reckless driving ticket" I think that the cars should be driven as you would in real life. Just my 2 cents worth.

wavey.gif

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa cry MOAR

Ahhh, GTA wouldn't be complete without these type of threads. Going into a competition with this type of mindset is stupid.

OP sounds like sour grapes. I didn't see anything wrong with any of the ghosts I have raced against.

Really? How many races do you see in real life where people drift around half the corners? Especially since they're looking for a gt driver. You'd never see a LeMans driver race like this.

Bennen13
Really? How many races do you see in real life where people drift around half the corners? Especially since they're looking for a gt driver. You'd never see a LeMans driver race like this.

You'd also see them a second off the pace in gt. Point being its a contest with a big prize. You wanna make it you drive this way. You wanna stick to morals and real life you lose, and then come on forums and fb to whine about it. I prefer to advance and drive unrealistically.

You'd also see them a second off the pace in gt. Point being its a contest with a big prize. You wanna make it you drive this way. You wanna stick to morals and real life you lose, and then come on forums and fb to whine about it. I prefer to advance and drive unrealistically.

I made the finals last year by not skipping over the grass like everyone else. It can be done.

I'm not whining about it, because I am using those methods, it's just frustrating they chose such a cheap way to create a challenge. I'm not complaining about GTA but they could've just used a faster car that promotes realistic driving to achieve the fastest times.

Watch the GTA episodes from last year. No one drove REAL cars like this, so why are they promoting it?

R1600Turbo
I made the finals last year by not skipping over the grass like everyone else. It can be done.

I know it can be done but it's looking like this year the way to be fast is jam it down to second to rotate and then shift real quick Wichita isn't gonna work in a real car unless you like your rear to chatter and hop. Grass driving that's a whole different beast.

Well R1600 the final round didn't allow you to cut the grass and that was the only one that mattered. In the early rounds you could easily make the cut by driving legit but since they awarded weekly prizes for 1st place it made people cut the grass to gain faster times.

Jersey, you don't need to use 2nd to be fast. I watched a replay of someone who ran either a 1:30 or a 1:31.0xx without going down to 2nd. He even used 3rd on the last hairpin. It was either the 2nd fastest time or that guy from Japan whos name starts with a T. I always forget his name but I love watching his replays.

Well R1600 the final round didn't allow you to cut the grass and that was the only one that mattered. In the early rounds you could easily make the cut by driving legit but since they awarded weekly prizes for 1st place it made people cut the grass to gain faster times.

True, point is I still advanced to the next round.

Bennen13
I'm not whining about it, because I am using those methods, it's just frustrating they chose such a cheap way to create a challenge. I'm not complaining about GTA but they could've just used a faster car that promotes realistic driving to achieve the fastest times.

Watch the GTA episodes from last year. No one drove REAL cars like this, so why are they promoting it?

I've watched the episodes. They are in real cars. Once you distinguish the difference between sim and reality only then will you appreciate the chance we are given. Make the most of it and don't worry about the differences. There will never be a true to life sim on a console.

Back