Unrealistic driving

• Thread starter LVracerGT
  • 172 comments
If it's all about adapting to the game to prove your worth, then what was with all of the complaining about people cutting corners last year? They were just "adapting" to the game.

The truth of the matter is that the way PD has organized the Academy time trials is antithetical to the qualities that exist in a good racing driver; the bad habits formed in flying around a circuit at ludicrous slip angles with the aid of active steering will take time to be undone. The suggestion of a longer time trial over many laps that requires a driver to balance speed and tire wear would make much more sense.

Alas, PD/Nissan aren't at all actually concerned with finding a racing driver; fast drivers trying to make a living in racing are a dime a dozen, and if finding a driver were the end goal, PD/Nissan would just go grab one of the thousands that are more qualified than the couch jockeys playing GT Academy. This is a marketing tool for them (a very effective one, might I add), and as such they're not concerned with really providing a GT Academy that finds good drivers and not just good PC simmers.

If it's all about adapting to the game to prove your worth, then what was with all of the complaining about people cutting corners last year? They were just "adapting" to the game.

The truth of the matter is that the way PD has organized the Academy time trials is antithetical to the qualities that exist in a good racing driver; the bad habits formed in flying around a circuit at ludicrous slip angles with the aid of active steering will take time to be undone. The suggestion of a longer time trial over many laps that requires a driver to balance speed and tire wear would make much more sense.

Alas, PD/Nissan aren't at all actually concerned with finding a racing driver; fast drivers trying to make a living in racing are a dime a dozen, and if finding a driver were the end goal, PD/Nissan would just go grab one of the thousands that are more qualified than the couch jockeys playing GT Academy. This is a marketing tool for them (a very effective one, might I add), and as such they're not concerned with really providing a GT Academy that finds good drivers and not just good PC simmers.

Its a game!!!!

I'm sure the two winners from the last two GTA 's would tell you otherwise. It's literally a chance to change your life.

Definetly agree, but everyone complaining about the physics or this or that just adapt and do what you can. It is a Game it is not gonna be exactly like real life driving.

I agree. This type of throwing your car into the coner is not my style, you just have to adapt the best you can.

I'll admit when this round opened I thought I was screwed, because I never race like this. But I just stuck to it, and it's going really well.

Just my advice; don't get too frustrated by the physics or anything else (cones). That will end up hurting you more than anything.

Bennen13
I'll admit when this round opened I thought I was screwed, because I never race like this. But I just stuck to it, and it's going really well.

Just my advice; don't get too frustrated by the physics or anything else (cones). That will end up hurting you more than anything.

Lol at frustrated. I already broke my headphones out of frustration. Nothing some duct tape couldn't fix though.

So you're asserting that having to learn to drive a car a certain way to get every last drop of performance out of it is on the same level as completely cutting a course? One is something you'll have to do in real life, the other will get you black flagged. Adaptation is what sets the aliens apart from the rest of us, in sim or real life. GT Academy may be about marketing, but they also design it to find those that can adapt and overcome. I guess you missed Bryan getting pole this past weekend at Midohio, that's not something "dime a dozen" drivers do. Once again, another weak argument that 'bad' habits in Sim racing carry over to real world driving.

So you're asserting that having to learn to drive a car a certain way to get every last drop of performance out of it is on the same level as completely cutting a course? One is something you'll have to do in real life, the other will get you black flagged. Adaptation is what sets the aliens apart from the rest of us, in sim or real life. GT Academy may be about marketing, but they also design it to find those that can adapt and overcome. I guess you missed Bryan getting pole this past weekend at Midohio, that's not something "dime a dozen" drivers do. Once again, another weak argument that 'bad' habits in Sim racing carry over to real world driving.

I'm really not trying to discredit anything Bryan has done, because he's clearly talented and has proven that he's fast in a race car, but he also has a financial and developmental support system that has given him the opportunity to do what the other "dime a dozen" fast drivers can't.

And the adaptation argument is absolutely spot on, but I think the process is inherently flawed. If it was all about adaptation then they wouldn't need to put anyone in a car until a champion had been decided; they could just continue on with GT races until the ultimate adapter had been identified, and then they could throw him in a car. He'd adapt, right?

This is quite right.. (KingBest, not sure what you mean by that as that's more or less what Bob is saying)
I'm sure the two winners from the last two GTA 's would tell you otherwise. It's literally a chance to change your life.
...and this is true, but it is still just a game, the previous winners will now understand how limited in relation GT5 can be to real race driving, it is the means not the ends. Most of us have learnt a good understanding of the principles by playing GT, but you still need to have the knack to apply that and control the real thing well and race. Some of the finalists might struggle, and some who may have turned out to be better than the previous winners in the finals will never get the chance.

If there was such a thing as a perfect simulation there would be no need to put people in real race cars. Ever. NASCAR, Formula 1, etc would all be decided by "drivers" sitting in pods.

the objective is to cross the finish line as fast as possible without being DQ'd by the software, any kind of "realistic driving style" goes out the window considering the stakes.

This is pretty much it. I am sure they didn't intend their software to behave that way, but its just the way it is and how it works out. You will have to do what it takes legally to get your chance in a real car at Silverstone. Noone is breaking the rules, they are just pushing a video game the furthest they can, and thats the point of the competition, to push the video game as far as they can, then take the fastest video game drivers and see if they have a shot in a real car.

All I can say to the OP is, don't worry, as we saw in the last GT Academy TV show, there were people who clearly were not cut out for race car driving, or they just simply lacked skills in a real car that required more then just a few button inputs.

If there was such a thing as a perfect simulation there would be no need to put people in real race cars. Ever. NASCAR, Formula 1, etc would all be decided by "drivers" sitting in pods.

That doesn't even make sense. Even if they perfectly simulated the real world it wouldn't matter because its not the real world, people would still want to see the physical car race around the track.

Real racing drivers will push to edge once in while. However the driving in 8-5 is clearly stepping that edge. Only because there is no consequences. Ad in a real wrecked car. As in g forces. Ad in the reality of getting hurt. That edge these gamers are over will haunt them if they don't realize what they are doing.

Pretty sure we seen the slam and jam drivers get weeded out of the GTA once real driving was introduced. ;)

All opinions however this is a Good discussion.

Is anyone else completely annoyed by the fact all the top times are a completely unrealistic driving style, pitching the car into corners, down shifting and up shifting immediately etc?

I've been putting laps down for two days, and I know I have room for improvement but I'm six tenths off the top time using realistic methods. I know it won't happen, but PD needs to weed out the people that are taking advantage of the physics. There is no way driving like A7X does would be faster in real life, not to mention the tires would be gone in a matter of laps. And it seems more people have adopted this now to break into faster territory.

/rant

I do agree that if players of GT5 go really hard on their tyres and then drove like that in a endurance race in real life, the tyres would have worn out really quickly, however the rounds in GT Academy are really short stages, and if you was going for a really short race, GT5 or real life, I would go all out on the tyres to make sure I can get the best position and laptimes possible.

Real racing drivers will push to edge once in while. However the driving in 8-5 is clearly stepping that edge. Only because there is no consequences. Ad in a real wrecked car. As in g forces. Ad in the reality of getting hurt. That edge these gamers are over will haunt them if they don't realize what they are doing.

Pretty sure we seen the slam and jam drivers get weeded out of the GTA once real driving was introduced. ;)

All opinions however this is a Good discussion.

This. No race driver goes to 100% during a whole lap. That would be suicidal and dumb.
This is the difference between the game and the RL.

and than there are the drivers. RL long time drivers, even race experienced ones will have problems in GT as they are slown down by their real life driving experience. (better loose 0.200 and not spin out)
Look at my Sig by Ron.

If you guys want I have an article somewhere between a RL racer against a GT gamer. The RL driver lost massively in GT on the nür compared to the gamer, but taken to the real track, that was just the inverse.

But I am not complaining. The prize is huge, it's a game (in both meanings). I will probably not make the cut (or need massive chance to finally hit my perfect lap) but it was great fun and considering I haven't played GT in a long run and don't have time to play every day, being sub 10 000 of nearly a 1 000 000 players should be rewarding enough for us all (That's 1%, now we will be targets for the occupy mouvement).

Last edited:
This. No race driver goes to 100% during a whole lap. That would be suicidal and dumb.
This is the difference between the game and the RL.

and than there are the drivers. RL long time drivers, even race experienced ones will have problems in GT as they are slown down by their real life driving experience. (better loose 0.200 and not spin out)
Look at my Sig by Ron.

If you guys want I have an article somewhere between a RL racer against a GT gamer. The RL driver lost massively in GT on the nür compared to the gamer, but taken to the real track, that was just the inverse.

But I am not complaining. The prize is huge, it's a game (in both meanings). I will probably not make the cut (or need massive chance to finally hit my perfect lap) but it was great fun and considering I haven't played GT in a long run and don't have time to play every day, being sub 10 000 of nearly a 1 000 000 players should be rewarding enough for us all (That's 1%, now we will be targets for the occupy mouvement).

👍

That doesn't even make sense. Even if they perfectly simulated the real world it wouldn't matter because its not the real world, people would still want to see the physical car race around the track.

If they perfectly simulated the real world, how would you know what was real? How would you know you were sitting in a real race car? How would fans know they were watching real cars?

Maybe nothing is real. Maybe this is all a perfect simulation of reality. Maybe we're all just lines of code in a machine.

I should never have taken the red pill... :mischievous:

Well played your on lap twissy :)!

Cheers Tidgney, just had to string it together, the amount I had thrown laps away on the 2nd to last corner was ridiculous. Then bang.. I hit the lap. I think there was probably a few more thousands on the run up to the finish line, didnt get the gear change from 3rd to 4th just right

Cheers Tidgney, just had to string it together, the amount I had thrown laps away on the 2nd to last corner was ridiculous. Then bang.. I hit the lap. I think there was probably a few more thousands on the run up to the finish line, didnt get the gear change from 3rd to 4th just right

LOL I just mentioned that in the Track guide video I've done that before it's the most irritating thing in the world (The gear change) when you think finally done the lap and oops messed up a silly change ;p! Nah fair play with that lap, I know what it's like and I can imagine with yourself as well that second to last turn getting that oversteer is annoying sometimes it works amazing and sometimes it doesn't, god knows what was going through your mind on the last corner when you actually nailed it :P!

Thats what this track is about, every corner has to be spot on and with the technique thats being used with this car, one mistake and the lap is wrecked. This is how my attempts have gone....

Start.... good run out of last corner.. overshoot first corner.... :ouch:

Restart... good run out of last corner... hits cones on exit of first corner... :ouch:

Restart... bad run out of last corner.... :ouch:

Restart.... Restart... Restart... if the first corner doesnt feel good.. its a restart!

Really? How many races do you see in real life where people drift around half the corners? Especially since they're looking for a gt driver. You'd never see a LeMans driver race like this.

They don't do it because it's not faster, because 99% of the time it is, they don't do it because the risk is too high. It can't be done like that consistently without crashing or messing up.

I bet Tsuchiya can drift around corners all day consistently and he was a LeMans driver :) Sometimes in real life drivers do drift around the corners, albeit only slight drift to rotate the car better.

I bet Tsuchiya can drift around corners all day consistently and he was a LeMans driver :) Sometimes in real life drivers do drift around the corners, albeit only slight drift to rotate the car better.

True, but not to this extent. My point was just that it doesn't make much sense that they are encouraging this driving style, when they'd never teach it, or that you'd ever use it in real life. Whether it be their school, or a professional race team.

Back