Unrealistic driving

• Thread starter LVracerGT
  • 172 comments
Ridox2JZGTE
Yes, Jersey, I completely understand what you mean, a truly fast driver would always be faster, the reason of trial I posted is with certain level of difficulties and challenges, we also get to see who are "really" fast without any help from the game or taking advantage of the physics flaw of GT5, then the real fast drivers would set them apart from the "fast" ones. There are people who are fast with certain cars or tracks in GT5, some are fast with the use of ABS, and some are fast no matter what. These "fast no matter what " driver are the cream of the crop, and should be in the finals, and to get those, we need extreme measures:lol:

to LvracerGT :
They'll get weeded out soon on the finals and when they are tackling the real cars in real track.

Long story short its all said and done now. I highly doubt any of us in the top 32 would have a hard time behind the wheel of a real car regardless of what we had to do to get there. GTA's track record seems to show sim talents seem to transfer pretty well to a real race track. I'd also go as far to say that outta all the sim racing games on a console gt is one of the worst as far as physics and reality in my opinion. So how real can it get when trying to drive realistically when this game is the furthest from reality.

@LVracerGT: i didn't make it into the top 32 either...and to quote Shakespeare: "A loser doesn't know what he'll do if he loses, but talks about what he'll do if he wins." and Paul Brown "When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less." dude you need to stop being a sore loser and talking about what you do in a real car. if you are good enough in a real car then why have i never heard your name on any motorsports channel? or ANY channel for that? it's a VIDEO GAME and you had just as much of a chance of being in the top 32 as any of the other 1 million people that played. you are a human being. survival of the fittest, and adapt and overcome. stop whining about not making it and start playing the game and practicing for next year so you can be the one on top telling us who are whining to "stop whining" !!!

Last edited:
mdub56
@LVracerGT: i didn't make it into the top 32 either...and to quote Shakespeare: "A loser doesn't know what he'll do if he loses, but talks about what he'll do if he wins." dude you need to stop being a sore loser and talking about what you do in a real car. if you are good enough in a real car then why have i never heard your name on any motorsports channel? or ANY channel for that? it's a VIDEO GAME and you had just as much of a chance of being in the top 32 as any of the other 1 million people that played. you are a human being. survival of the fittest, and adapt and overcome. stop whining about not making it and start playing the game and practicing for next year so you can be the one on top telling us who are whining to "stop whining" !!!

You obviously don't know the kind of money it takes to get in a real race car. I know a lot of very talented drivers in real life that have a hard time getting even into Skip Barber and that's one of the cheapest series in racing.

I'm not sure why people keep overlooking that I've accepted I didn't make it. I tried and wasn't good enough to adapt to the style that was fastest. But that being said, I still think GT Academy needs to be more serious about realism in looking for a racing driver. Someone earlier on this thread mentioned they would never teach the style that was used so it doesn't make much sense why they allow it.

You obviously don't know the kind of money it takes to get in a real race car.

being good enough is not the same as having the money. if you were good enough to do this on your own then your talent would carry you. not your bills. you lost, suck it up. MOVE ON!!! keep at that "skip barber" stuff. maybe i'll see your name one day and shoot myself in the foot for this entire argument!!!

being good enough is not the same as having the money. if you were good enough to do this on your own then your talent would carry you. not your bills.

Nope, in racing it is: Money>Rich Friends/Parents>Location>Luck>Talent.
Money is the most important thing of all, race cars and spare parts are not free (not even getting into track time, pit crews, mangers...).

I'm not sure why people keep overlooking that I've accepted I didn't make it.

Because you're still going on about it!

Like this:
I still think GT Academy needs to be more serious about realism in looking for a racing driver.
And this:
so it doesn't make much sense why they allow it.

Every post you make is pretty much
blah blah blah not real. blah blah blah abusing the system. It should have been like this and not like this. blah blah blah not real drivers.

You act like this is their first time ever doing this. It's not. They did it last year. And the year before. How many times have you hosted a program like this? Oh, never? So why are YOU telling PD how it should be done? They obviously know what they're doing. You on the otherhand, don't. So just give it a rest already.

I highly doubt any of us in the top 32 would have a hard time behind the wheel of a real car regardless of what we had to do to get there. GTA's track record seems to show sim talents seem to transfer pretty well to a real race track.

That reminds me of the contestants from past GTA finals who didn't seemed to do well when driving manual cars on the track during the elimination period. I think I saw them from episodes I downloaded from PSN.

The winners of GTA do really good in real life races as they are prepared really well by Nissan and remember they are chosen after numerous trials and elimination stages. I am not saying those that lost in the previous GTA finals are not good enough, but sometimes luck and talents can't be separated.

I don't think all the great sim talents out there have real experiences driving at least manual high performance cars in real life, either on track or street. This is what worries me, if say a finalist in GTA only drove an auto in real life or drove a manual, but never competitively or knows how to trail brake or heel & toe in a real car, that would be an issue to tackle 1st.
My life experience told me, not all great virtual drivers can drive just as good in real life, but the opposite are more prominent. This brings me to suggest that all finalists this year should be at least a capable driver in real life, taking from that you are highly doubtful the finalists will have a hard time in real car.

Santos - the fact that you forged a supposed quote by me repeatedly saying "blah blah blah" for some thing I never typed shows that you're only interested in attacking me and not the discussion. Please move on.

I dont see the debate about Active Steering because the first week not a lot of people used it. And guess what most of the top 20 or so where the same people without the AS. Then a few people started using it so everyone did and guess what the top people were still basically the same. So i dont see the point of the argument.

Santos - the fact that you forged a supposed quote by me repeatedly saying "blah blah blah" for some thing I never typed shows that you're only interested in attacking me and not the discussion. Please move on.

:rolleyes:

I'm trying to explain to you why people are 'overlooking the fact that you accepted you didn't make it'. Not attacking you. Seems like you're just getting defensive now.

What's done is done. You can say they should be more serious, but Jann just won a race, so who are we to question their methods? I personally don't even see why this is being discussed anymore. I used AS. If a racing team had the opportunity to use technology or some sort of device to improve their performance they would. Use everything you can, and don't hold back.

Hey guys, there are smart people who made this competition. And if they decided to do qualifying like it is in 8-5 instead of other options, (for instance, averaging lap times and setting car so it will be more stable) then it is the best way of choosing those top 32 finalists. And Come-on, do not look for excuses, just practice.

Nope, in racing it is: Money>Rich Friends/Parents>Location>Luck>Talent.
Money is the most important thing of all, race cars and spare parts are not free (not even getting into track time, pit crews, mangers...).

Yessir, I believe you've got it pretty much right. I'm not saying a car owner will let some moron wreck their car every weekend just because that driver has the money to pay the bills, but there are a lot of PHENOMENAL race car drivers out there with no funding/connections/etc. to make it to a professional level.

If you think the only drivers who have "what it takes" are the ones you see on TV, or that all the ones you see on TV do have "what it takes", you live under a very substantial rock.

Yessir, I believe you've got it pretty much right. I'm not saying a car owner will let some moron wreck their car every weekend just because that driver has the money to pay the bills, but there are a lot of PHENOMENAL race car drivers out there with no funding/connections/etc. to make it to a professional level.

If you think the only drivers who have "what it takes" are the ones you see on TV, or that all the ones you see on TV do have "what it takes", you live under a very substantial rock.

Just look at F1. While Felipe Massa continues to suck, along with several other drivers you should be able to figure out, we can't get an American in F1. It's not because we're not good enough, we've produced champions in the past, but because F1 doesn't give two 🤬 about the US. The only reason we're finally getting races again is because Eccelstone's daughter moved here.

After downloading the fastest "at the time" ghost replay, tried to follow it, and felt like a camera car for some drift video.. There is no way that this would be the fastest way around a track in the real world, and I understand what the OP is trying to explain is that the fastest times, were driven in a highly-unrealistic manor. He isn't making excuses. He isn't crying about it.. Simply making it publicly obvious that the necessary driving style to be successful in this event wasn't realism..

*The Real Driving Simulator*

:rolleyes:

I'm trying to explain to you why people are 'overlooking the fact that you accepted you didn't make it'. Not attacking you. Seems like you're just getting defensive now.

He has every right to get defensive when some one mis-quotes him like that.. for what, public insult? Think again.. I've seen some highly intelligent arguments and discussion so far in this thread, your post wasn't an example of one.

Last edited:
I drive however I have to to set fast times in sims. I then go to autox and contend for overall PAX time, utilizing heel toe downshifting OR more likely staying in 2nd focusing on a smooth line and removing the need for a shift. The point? Our brains are able to tell the difference between Sim and real life, it's just a matter of how you apply it. Your rant is pointless.

I have to agree with TRC, perhaps the OP should try doing a little autocrossing. Depending on what habits you learn or pick up during these events can really help you out if you have a good instructor.

I've done auto cross. I've done drifting (for fun). I've driven Skip Barber cars. I have enough real life experience to know what realistic techniques are. Not to mention my time at Skip Barber talking with the instructors I was working next to basically getting free lessons. But my OP was not about what real life experience I do or don't have. It is about the unrealistic techniques that were used to accomplish fast times, and PD's failure to implement the regulations that would have weeded out that driving style.

This has been an interesting thread to follow, though I've only read it now, seeing as I live in the wrong region to compete and I don't have time to really put in enough practice to be anywhere near competitive.

But I tend to agree with the opposite case. Adaptability.

There is no doubt that this game is not a perfect representation of reality. No game is, really... and lacking in certain areas and completely skipping others, GT5 can never be an absolutely perfect representation of real world racing.

But this:

A lot of people seem to conveniently ignore the past results from this whole thing. Perhaps they missed how the first and second GT academy winners were running 24 hour of LeMans this past weekend. It seems to be working.

Yeah GT5 physics need a bit of work, but the top guys are really good at adapting to different cars and different physics. Then they get in a real car and adapt to those physics and do really well there too.

Plus in a real car you get all the extra g force feedback missing in a sim. You put a top real life driver on a sim and they are going to really struggle without the G force feedback, having to rely only on visual, audio, and force feedback etc. This big lack of feedback makes sim driving generally more difficult.

Having been to the track a number of times (though not having raced at a professional level), I tend to agree. The fastest guys in sims can generally translate that skill to real life because racing in real life gives you so much more feedback. Going back to the sims after driving in real life feels like trying to shoot with Mickey Mouse gloves and swimming goggles on.

The best drivers tend to come out on top, whatever the physics, whatever the car, whatever style is needed. Will the car go fastest with perfect grip driving? That's what they do. Will the car go fastest slightly sideways? That's what they do. Will the car go fastest fully sideways? That's what they do. Will the car go fastest with the throttle pinned so you can take advantage of downforce? That's what they do.

Massive respect to anyone who comes out on top of these competitions, and massive respect to those who translate that well to real-life results. 👍

Last edited:
niky
This has been an interesting thread to follow, though I've only read it now, seeing as I live in the wrong region to compete and I don't have time to really put in enough practice to be anywhere near competitive.

But I tend to agree with the opposite case. Adaptability.

There is no doubt that this game is not a perfect representation of reality. No game is, really... and lacking in certain areas and completely skipping others, GT5 can never be an absolutely perfect representation of real world racing.

But this:

Having been to the track a number of times (though not having raced at a professional level), I tend to agree. The fastest guys in sims can generally translate that skill to real life because racing in real life gives you so much more feedback. Going back to the sims after driving in real life feels like trying to shoot with Mickey Mouse gloves and swimming goggles on.

The best drivers tend to come out on top, whatever the physics, whatever the car, whatever style is needed. Will the car go fastest with perfect grip driving? That's what they do. Will the car go fastest slightly sideways? That's what they do. Will the car go fastest fully sideways? That's what they do. Will the car go fastest with the throttle pinned so you can take advantage of downforce? That's what they do.

Massive respect to anyone who comes out on top of these competitions, and massive respect to those who translate that well to real-life results. 👍

Post of the thread?

Back