Unrealistic driving

• Thread starter LVracerGT
  • 172 comments
Considering the results of past GT academies...

It seems to be working.

So whine all you want. The unrealistic drivers will be driving for real while you will still be whining.
^ This. A lot of people seem to conveniently ignore the past results from this whole thing. Perhaps they missed how the first and second GT academy winners were running 24 hour of LeMans this past weekend. It seems to be working.

Yeah GT5 physics need a bit of work, but the top guys are really good at adapting to different cars and different physics. Then they get in a real car and adapt to those physics and do really well there too.

Plus in a real car you get all the extra g force feedback missing in a sim. You put a top real life driver on a sim and they are going to really struggle without the G force feedback, having to rely only on visual, audio, and force feedback etc. This big lack of feedback makes sim driving generally more difficult.

^ This. A lot of people seem to conveniently ignore the past results from this whole thing. Perhaps they missed how the first and second GT academy winners were running 24 hour of LeMans this past weekend. It seems to be working.

Yeah GT5 physics need a bit of work, but the top guys are really good at adapting to different cars and different physics. Then they get in a real car and adapt to those physics and do really well there too.

Plus in a real car you get all the extra g force feedback missing in a sim. You put a top real life driver on a sim and they are going to really struggle without the G force feedback, having to rely only on visual, audio, and force feedback etc. This big lack of feedback makes sim driving generally more difficult.

Well said. Spoken like someone who has been to Silverstone.:sly: 👍

👍 100% agree.

Well didn't make top 32 after beating my head against the table. Had two laps that would've been fast enough and messed up last two corners both times.

I really don't care how much people say it's "adapting" the bottom line is it's unrealistic, something that's not practiced or taught in real life. And I can vouch for that personally having worked as a mechanic for Skip Barber having spent a lot of time with very talented instructors.

On a final note, all the laps with people using steering assist need to be DQ'd. That's not the driver being talented or fast. That's the game helping you turn the car in the right spot etc.

If GT was truly serious about finding a racing driver they would have made it a race car with racing hards, tire wear on, and 15 laps. Instead they're getting gamers who have just found ways to manipulate their physics.

Last edited:
Well didn't make top 32 after beating my head against the table. Had two laps that would've been fast enough and messed up last two corners both times.

I really don't care how much people say it's "adapting" the bottom line is it's unrealistic, something that's not practiced or taught in real life. And I can vouch for that personally having worked as a mechanic for Skip Barber having spent a lot of time with very talented instructors.

On a final note, all the laps with people using steering assist need to be DQ'd. That's not the driver being talented or fast. That's the game helping you turn the car in the right spot etc.

If GT was truly serious about finding a racing driver they would have made it a race car with racing hards, tire wear on, and 15 laps. Instead they're getting gamers who have just found ways to manipulate their physics.

Although I agree to an extent....there's a whole other process for weeding out those who can't do it in real life.
You do what you have to to qualify and if you can, you hang in there until you get into a real motor and then you prove you're metal.
Those who use the grass to corner won't get anywhere near an LMP2 class racer at Le Mans anytime soon.

Look at it this way, if I was able to get in the top 10, 20 or whatever was needed to go forward, and I needed an assist to do it, I would, because basically, and not to sound harsh.....I rather be in the next round with a chance than b*tching* about the right or wrong way of posting a qualifying lap that in the end will have no input to a persons ability to drive IRL.
Its why there's a long process to GT:A as opposed to it being this one lap.

*not accusing you of b*tching

To be honest, it seems like you're just trying to justify yourself for not making it. The guys who did make it did what they had to to win. If you were serious about it you would have done the same.

And the top 32 would still be the same.

And the top 32 would still be the same.

I doubt it. Driving consistently using real techniques and being fast over a stint managing tire wear is far different from one lap with the game helping you steer through the corner.

There is people in the top 32 that I've raced online and beat in this scenario. Not taking anything away from them, of course.

I doubt it. Driving consistently using real techniques and being fast over a stint managing tire wear is far different from one lap with the game helping you steer through the corner.

Its over with and to me just sounds like sour grapes to me.

To be honest, it seems like you're just trying to justify yourself for not making it. The guys who did make it did what they had to to win. If you were serious about it you would have done the same.

Trust me I tried. I was 16th with two days to go. I hadn't realized until 45 minutes left when I was looking at replays people were using steering assist. I also have a PC sim background and even in GT5 I try to run things as realistically as possible, so it was difficult to make a transition to a completely arcade way to drive a car.

Call it what you like. Bottom line is they should be more serious about putting someone in a real race car.

Judging by the the results of Ordonez and Tresson and the competitions they've run in, they seem pretty serious already, and they were using arguably even less stringent time trials for those qualifiers,
As a F1 driver said recently* you just gotta suck it up and move on to the next one.

*It was Lewis Hamilton, yesterday:sly:

Call it what you like. Bottom line is they should be more serious about putting someone in a real race car.

I agree about using active steering, i didnt use it for like the first week but was still in top 10 gradually dropped to like 20th in US so i broke down and learned to use the AS, i wasnt gonna get beat out by not at least trying it.

KingBestJr
I agree about using active steering, i didnt use it for like the first week but was still in top 10 gradually dropped to like 20th in US so i broke down and learned to use the AS, i wasnt gonna get beat out by not at least trying it.

Exactly. You do what you gotta go to make it. You can't let pride or supposed morals get in the way of such a big prize.

Exactly. You do what you gotta go to make it. You can't let pride or supposed morals get in the way of such a big prize.

I don't even think its bad morals. If its in the game, and allowed in the competition, then its legal. Nothing wrong or bad about it. If its unrealistic thats not the competitors fault. Also, the rules did not say "complete the most realistic fast lap", its just "complete the fastest lap within the rules of the competition", which they all did.

I don't even think its bad morals. If its in the game, and allowed in the competition, then its legal. Nothing wrong or bad about it. If its unrealistic thats not the competitors fault. Also, the rules did not say "complete the most realistic fast lap", its just "complete the fastest lap within the rules of the competition", which they all did.

Well said.

I tried my best and came up short to a group of guys that deserve to go to San Diego. If there was a legal aid that would of given me another 1.2 seconds I would have turned it on in a heart beat and would now be joining the final 32!

If you come from a PC sim racing background you should appreciate that it's always the same guys who are quick, regardless of any physics changes/differences (just how many different sims has Huttu dominated?).

The quick guys are always quick, as they are better able to run at whatever slip angle that produces the best grip/wear/degradation/temperature.

When I first started out I was playing it like I was driving a real car and using techniques I've learned in karting, autocross, and track days but just wasn't fast enough. Then I watched some replays and started studying what they were doing to make the top times. Once I figured it out I could run laps between 1:31.3-1:31.8 over and over again consistently. In the end I figured it out and was fortunate enough to make it. A game is a game and you must adapt. When it comes to real life is when it really matters on who will excel and hopefully I do make it to Silverstone so I can be a little more comfortable in a real car than on the game.

i noticed a lot of top guys running the active steering. i never use it and was finding it kind of strange.
bottom line is that to win you must take advantage of every advantage given.
if 'unrealistic' driving or driving aids gets you the spot that's name of the game. perhaps if the rules were different the same 32 would be on top perhaps not, doesn't matter; you have to get the 'win' and no body was cheating as far as I can see.
much respect to those who qualified and those on the boards and those who gave 100%
hopefully we will get a chance to do it again next year.
cheers

side note: i see Jann up there^ and posts from Brian earlier. i rarely post on the boards but it is kind of cool that you two still stop by to drop a line. now that you're hot shot race car drivers, ha!
cheers

Ridox2JZGTE
Your choices of words are really impressive. I don't mind with the thread's topic, what we need is a good discussion, not sarcastic words and disrespectful remarks.

If anyone wonder how challenging or difficult time trial can be if PD wanted it, use comfort soft, tire wear/ fuel consumption, 5 laps trial - no pit allowed, in the rain with 100 % water, default BB, using Cizeta V16T at 24H Nurburgring and no assists allowed including no "ABS" brake assist as the real life car don't have any electrical wizardry.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52865

How's that for extreme test of skill ? I seriously doubtful that most of the fast drivers with AS and ABS would stay on top on this one ... only a handful would stay fast. Just my thoughts, feel free to disagree and until the trial can be proven in an actual event, we can only make assumptions :sly: and assumptions are good for discussions not debate.

Fast guys will always be the fast guys regardless of the challenge. Tricycles to monster trucks and everything in between. The cream always rises to the top. There's another saying out there about assumptions. I'll let you figure it out. And I'd love to run with no ABS but without being able to set brake balance it was pretty much not an option in this competition. Remember the goal was to go fast.

But I agree his choice of words wasn't that great.

Last edited:
Like I said I tried the active steering but noticed people were using it too late. 45 minutes was not enough time to try and relearn the car. I finished 48th out of how many people with no aids and still using somewhat realistic techniques. So I'm not fully disappointed, and like I said earlier I had laps where I was ahead and messed up the last two corners which may have put me in top 32.

I don't disagree with you guys saying it's adapting. What I've been saying is that the competition as a whole should be geared towards realism, since they're looking to put someone in a real race car. IMO it would weed out the guys that can only utilize this unrealistic driving style.

LVracerGT
Like I said I tried the active steering but noticed people were using it too late. 45 minutes was not enough time to try and relearn the car. I finished 48th out of how many people with no aids and still using somewhat realistic techniques. So I'm not fully disappointed, and like I said earlier I had laps where I was ahead and messed up the last two corners which may have put me in top 32.

I don't disagree with you guys saying it's adapting. What I've been saying is that the competition as a whole should be geared towards realism, since they're looking to put someone in a real race car. IMO it would weed out the guys that can only utilize this unrealistic driving style.

Do you not think we will have to adapt when we climb behind a real car. I race karts and I know climbing behind the wheel of a gtr or 370 is gonna be completely different(if I make it to that stage). Ill have to adapt. Also this contest was about determination and who wanted it the most. Not saying you didn't want it but if you wanted it bad enough you would have done everything in your powers to make it happen. I also didn't use AS for the first week and a half of the competition until I realized it was either use it or be left behind. I chose not to be left behind.

All of us were way ahead of our ghost going into X corner and completely botched it. My optimal lap was probably a 30.7, but that doesn't mean squat as I only ran a 31.166, which luckily was good enough. I also turned AS off as it was slowing me down, so that was user preference, not some game changing assist.

Fast guys will always be the fast guys regardless of the challenge. Tricycles to monster trucks and everything in between. The cream always rises to the top. There's another saying out there about assumptions. I'll let you figure it out. And I'd love to run with no ABS but without being able to set brake balance it was pretty much not an option in this competition. Remember the goal was to go fast.

But I agree his choice of words wasn't that great.

Yes, Jersey, I completely understand what you mean, a truly fast driver would always be faster, the reason of trial I posted is with certain level of difficulties and challenges, we also get to see who are "really" fast without any help from the game or taking advantage of the physics flaw of GT5, then the real fast drivers would set them apart from the "fast" ones. There are people who are fast with certain cars or tracks in GT5, some are fast with the use of ABS, and some are fast no matter what. These "fast no matter what " driver are the cream of the crop, and should be in the finals, and to get those, we need extreme measures:lol:

to LvracerGT :
They'll get weeded out soon on the finals and when they are tackling the real cars in real track.

EDIT : Active Steering for me only makes me frustrated, the car felt weird and it kind of fought back when pushed hard on the limit, so it depends, certain people do get the benefits of faster time, unlike me, I got slower and less consistent.

Last edited:
Back