Update 1.06 Discussion

• Thread starter Vagabond
  • 433 comments
Is it me or when you open a room with tuning prohibited, then change to allowed, you can't go to the track with a tuned car?
aha! This further proves this theory of mine:

Seeing as how much the community's been raging, I'm guessing PD started to rush some of the stuff and missed this bug to quickly release the update to satisfy the fans. [/random theory]

Damn, this update doesn't even warrant the effort of putting the (long neglected) GT6 disc in the drive. Where's my money earning B-spec Bob? the course maker? the Gps thing to turn my drive to work into a race-scenario?
and most importantly for time-strapped gamers like me, where's the online quick race (ala Gt5P) option?

PD, if your reading this you are a ******* pathetic disappointment. It's sad that you seem to be placing your corporate connections above the concerns of the people who put you where you are, regarding these updates.

It appears Gran Turismo is done for, finished (and I don't mean it is finshed in the way we want it to be!), over.

Realistically, how complicated would it be to implement the GPS track creator in the next update? PD could hang off Google Maps and just create the simple iOS/Android app to simply place you on the road in Google Maps. Start tracing, stop tracing, translate data, convert to race track.

It's disappointing as this seems to be something else PD won't deliver with anytime soon.

Seeing as how much the community's been raging, I'm guessing PD started to rush some of the stuff and missed this bug to quickly release the update to satisfy the fans. [/random theory]
So they introduced a bug in the programming that somehow also changed the graphic that represents that bug? I don't think so. It's a different graphic in the engine limiter when you use tuning prohibited vs. tuning unlimited. That's not a bug, that's deliberate game design.

Removing features with an update is not logical. [/Spock] :sly:
The amount of Star Treck references
s-THE-RENT-IS-TOO-DAMN-HIGH-JIMMY-MCMILLAN-large%5B1%5D.jpg

IS TOO DAMN HIGH

Realistically, how complicated would it be to implement the GPS track creator in the next update? PD could hang off Google Maps and just create the simple iOS/Android app to simply place you on the road in Google Maps. Start tracing, stop tracing, translate data, convert to race track.
Are you seriously unaware of how much work this would require to perfect? You can't just pop map data into a game and have it render a scene. Even laser scanning a track or a car produces raw data that has to have a lot of detailing to turn into a model the texture artists can paint on, the environment guys work with in the lighting engine, and then whatever else is necessary to produce a finished model the game can use. I do expect that PD are toiling away at something like this, but this particular tool may only work well on PS4. We'll see.

In any case, a bunch of people were supposedly expecting little or nothing they could use. And then when they get a few extra goodies, they still grump that the update isn't worthwhile. People are strange... :irked:

I like it, but may not be able to enjoy it till the weekend.

The update brings a few nice things but generally just more confusion, the 3D mode is not the really good 3D mode from GT5 but just a software-based filter, the data logger is more detailed but entirely less useful than before (it should be on the pre/post race menu with a miniature replay in the corner like last time and cafè mode is a mystery (someone please ask Yamauchi-san what it means). Custom wings are definitely welcome, though.

Nothing applies. Wing thing was cool, since only have a wing on my RUF BTR that is completely impossible to drive, but hilarious. Thing is a video game "widow-maker". :lol:

Useless to me ; maybe useful to others. Doesn't really effect me. I didn't anticipate anything. Got a smoother frame-rate. I'm content.

Back to doing what I do with GT6. Enjoy a set value of cars on a single track in time trial. 👍

As for the GPS editor, it won't work very well on a phone, the track if it could be rendered would no baking as phones don't have sensitive enough tilt sensors to pick the movement of a car on the road unless it's an extreme bank as most public road keep baking to ten degrees or less it's not enough to be picked up on a phone or tablet. As for translation into the game they could just use the pre existing tacosca and eifl area and just get turn data from the app abs lace it up to the user to define the corner banking and elevation changes.

The wing editor sounds interesting would be good for photo mode and cruising. I have not found a car that a wing helps yet they just slow you down.

The rest of the patch/update sounds like fluff.

Anyone notice the drain on memory when loading the track in on-line room?
It actually causes the menu music to slow down noticeably. I think the lack of physical memory in the PS3 is the reason some of the proposed updates and tracks are behind schedule. PD has to first test that the changes don't cause the game to crash. The PS4 release cant get here fast enough.

Woot, another update! Sure I don't have a car for the GPS Visualizer, nor replays for the Data Logger, and I'm not a fan of the wings, and I don't own a 3DTV, but at least it was better than what we had before and a bit more people can enjoy the game a bit than before.

Also I'm realizing that GT is slowly turning NFS-like with the star system, customization,easier gameplay, and the tutorial. Maybe it's just me.

Reading back over this thread, I see other have seen the effect of lack of memory causing video issues.
I'm more sure than ever that adding more features cause very bad results for game play. Especially on-line rooms.
The developers just cant add many features without extensive research. And I fear that some features cant be added at all on the PS3 platform. And that may be why we will not see any new tracks. The game/platform just can not process the data. This may be what PD does not want to tell gamers.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ohh, is it!? It's always our fault, us fans, us community, we are the reason things are done poorly because we "rush" PD. God forbid we have expectations, or that we are aware of GT's competition, or that we have any sort of critical judgement. This is quite old, even older than the "OMG PLAHCEOLDERS!!!" argument, but just as ridiculous.

PD: You have fans, people who, more than fans, are customers. You have competition. Your competition works faster than you and just as well, sometimes even better, and for a similar price. When you're rushed means you haven't done things on time or you tried to do something much bigger than the time you had to do it. Both examples of poor management of time. "I was rushed to mistakes" is something completely unacceptable when you run a multi-million dollar business with millions of customers. And even more when you claim to be the "Genius of Mimesis"...

Really? I count 3 in this update. GPS Visualizer, Datalogger, 3d Support
4 if you count the custom wing adjustments as making your car more personalized

You clearly have not read the changelog
No "other" promised features I meant.

You know, the ones people actually care about.

(I don't count that as 4 either)

Track creator.

Community features.

Also.. huge bugs not being fixed? Why?

Last edited:
Data Logger is an interesting addition. For players trying to get faster, or tuners trying to fine tune their car it could be invaluable.
For casual players it adds to the realism of racing, even though it's unlikely to be used.

GPS Visualizer is not really that useful at the moment. However, when sufficient cars are fitted with it and more tracks are enabled it will allow real drivers to analyse and critic their own lap in minute detail, from multiple angles.
It could also allow players to use data from real racing drivers, allowing them to copy real lines and basically get a tutorial from a professional.

Custom Wings are very welcome to me. Some cars simply looked odd with the existing generic wings. It also means that each car can be more unique and personal. Hopefully the slider interface can be utilised for custom bumpers, skirts, canards/splitters and wheel width in future. It reminds me of the 'Autosculpt' customisation featured in the NFS series, which in a game like GT would be a very powerful tool.
Autosculpt was/is one of the best features in the NFS franchise, IMO. It's a shame EA can't add it to any of their new games...

It's disappointing as this seems to be something else PD won't deliver with anytime soon.
As long as it doesn't require going places with the iOS device. MY IPOD CAN'T DO THAT WITHOUT WIFI!:lol:

I've noticed two things with the new update. #1 All of my cars gained a PP point. It's not noticeable in the garage until you get in the car but, when you do, you'll find an extra point has been added. I think they changed a variable in the PP calculation. #2 The first car that you have in slot one with the data logger has the front wheel speed off by 20-30 mph in relation to your rear tires or to the other sample car your testing against.

Don't know if this has been mentioned or not so bear with me. If you open a room with tuning prohibited, you can no longer use the engine limiter to reduce your PP or HP even by 1 to fit your car into the regulations. On top of that, if you change the room back to unlimited tuning, the engine limiter function remains disabled. You have to close the room and reopen in order to be able to use tuning again.

I stared at this dumfounded for a few seconds. I was in total disbelief. First PD killed off Shuffle Racing and now they've turned Tuning Prohibited racing into "whoever is lucky enough to have a car close to the PP limit wins"

Of all the 🤬 stupid, 🤬 🤬 things to put in the update:mad:

having guys from our league reporting this today...

Fair dinkum, i know its only a game, but for gods sake, get your **** together PD. :banghead:

One other thing - 1.06 has broken my game.
At first I thought it was my save - copied it onto a USB and deleted it off my PS3.
Now, I can't even get past the initial loading screen.
Well done Polyphony Digital, you made a game that doesn't work as well as something from 2008!

Back