Update 1.06 Discussion

• Thread starter Vagabond
  • 433 comments
Sad to report switching off automatic traction control when you leave the track is not so great, it at least slowed you down.
They now need to modify trackside terrain so it has less grip & more rolling resistance.
Got punted off track & had little effect on my speed or control so I went off track on purpose & was happily doing 130+mph & turning with no real issues.
Half way implemented update.

Anyways, I'm hoping that this is a sign of more regular updates so hopefully we should have the rest of the promised features in a few months.
This must be some sort of symptom of an elaborate mental conditioning process. Pretty sure it's the repeated use of the word "soon".

No constructive feedback is posted, just hate.
My avatar is a very constructive feedback. It's impossible to be any more constructive than that (short of working for PD). So there you go.

My avatar is a very constructive feedback. It's impossible to be any more constructive than that (short of working for PD). So there you go.
Not directed at any single person. Just browsing and lurking these threads and most comments have been anything but useful.

Have they still not increased online lobby payouts to GT5 levels? How about adding a reset button for tuning options?

I'm still waiting on the course maker and lounges / community features.

Not directed at any single person. Just browsing and lurking these threads and most comments have been anything but useful.

Sorry to say like breeds like & its somewhat in line with the support given to the game so far.
If they wanted useful feedback PD would be giving us polls with simple yes no responses.
I agree they probably have not got time to wade through this lot but they are making little or no effort to find out what the consumer wants.
My guess this will cost them big time in the future due to lost sales.

And that I would guess is what bugs most people, we get a mishmash of poorly implemented ideas with no sense of direction.
Fix what we have then add new things seems logical because the changes will impact on less & hence be easier to do.

You would not get three quarters of the way through laying foundations for a house, build it & go back to finish them later unless you wanted to go out of business pretty damn quick.

How many people are they going to annoy when we finally get the tuning issues resolved & everybody has to go back to the drawing board & start from scratch.

Last edited:
New mini-update. Cannot tell what it did, or if it did anything at all. Could someone please fact-check this for me? Sorry for the lack of info, but it is what it is.

This is a welcomed feature if you care about organized online racing series:

- From the Member List, it is now possible to see the Performance Points, maximum output and weight of the cars that have joined the room

Was this taken out? I can't find it.

...nevermind; it was the Member List inside the lobby, not the Member List outside of the lobby. There are two separate Member Lists.

Last edited:
New mini-update. Cannot tell what it did, or if it did anything at all. Could someone please fact-check this for me? Sorry for the lack of info, but it is what it is.

http://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/news/00_3015268.html

The following issue has been addressed:

- An issue wherein the value of the [Power Limiter] in the "Car Settings" cannot be modified when the [Vehicle Tuning] option within the [Event Settings] screen of the Open Lobby is set to [Prohibited].

Patching the patch, as usual.

I'm actually rather suprised they included the 3D support already, wasn't expecting it for ages (I guess like most I was hoping they'd deliver the more important omissions like course creater and community features first).

Anyway, here is a mini-review on the 3D support:

• As with GT5, selecting 3D pushes the screen res down to 2x720p (L/R eye) so you lose some resolution. Expected really, with this generation console. Hopefully PS4 will be able to do FullHD 3D.
  • The resolution loss seems more apparent (more jaggies and aliasing) than in GT5, but choosing 'Reduce flicker' display mode helps a tad, but the jaggies and resultant 'shimmering' when driving are quite noticeable. once you're in game and racing though, it's less of an issue as you're moving pretty quickly and the sense of speed is great.
  • Frame-rate is rock solid (80GB FAT PS3) though as others have noticed some of the graphics, eg smoke seem pixellated since 1.06 in the game, and this looks worse with the resolution loss in 3D. Similarly there seems to be some sort of moire patterning that occurs at certain points, again possible related to the new shading/hatching that PD seems to be using for effects. Possibly the worst visual artefacting relates to ghosted cars - when in non-3D mode, ghosted cars are transparent and look fine, however in 3D mode there is a strange effect whereby parts of the transparency disappear completely and you can 'see through' the ghost with vertical line gaps every few pixels or so. This, like the pixellated particle effects, is pretty ugly so hopefully they will address in a future update.
  • The fine-tuning controls however for 3D depth and convergence are great - depth has 10 setting from 1-10, 1 being shallow and 10 being the deepest. Your preference would depend on the size of your TV, how far you are from it etc, but I've found the 7-8 gives a great sense of depth on my 52" Sony at about 10 feet away, with the track in the distance feeling the right 'depth' to create the right sense of speed/depth perception whilst racing
  • The convergence point goes from 0.00 to 1.00 in 0.01 steps (IIRC 1-100 GT5). This controls the zero-point of convergence - where the neutral plane is. In most cases 0 is ideal as that's the plane of your TV screen and the track is, however increasing this number a litle pushes back the point of convergence which has the effect of making some of the HUD come forward and 'float' a bit in front of the screen. Increasing even further will start to make the 3D pop out of the screen a bit which some people might like - I tend to prefer the 3D effect for racing games as 'distant' so have set mine to 0.15.
Playing with these numbers is possible from the quick options menu which is great - so you can test the effects pretty quickly, even online as I was doing yesterday evening. As downside for online though, even though other players' cars are in the distance, their names are on the zero (HUD) planes so you get a weird effect of a floating name that doesn't seem to correlate to the car - hopefully they will fix this so the name is on the same plane as the distance of the car - otherwise I'll be turning off names online as it's quite distracting if you have a pack of cars ahead of you.

Other observations:

• Whilst 3D in game was great in GT5, some of the 3D in the menu screens and animations looked really bad (ghosting) as the convergence axis was too deep. This is fixed in GT6 meaning 3D in the rest of the game (albeit very little) doesn't have this problem. Cockpit views in GT5 were horrible in 3D due to a weird convergence point, but look fantastic in GT6 - you get a great sense of proportion of the cabin and even looking through the rear view the size of the car feels 'just right'.
  • 3D works throughout the game so the main menu has the floating blue dots behind the main menu items etc and viewing cars in Dealerships, GTAuto (painting, parts etc) are in 3D too. Unfortunately due to the resolution loss, the jaggies are even more apparent in GTAuto, compounding the odd colour/lighting issues, but otherwise works well.
  • 3D photomode - This is now available in GT6, however to save 3D images you need to change the file type from JPEG to MPO in the camera settings menu.
All in all, very happy with 3D, even with the loss of resolution and the jaggies - I played GT5 pretty much exclusively in 3D since that update - racing games really come alive with this tech, being able to see camber and anticipate distance better, so I'll be leaving this feature on.

(PS: I'm pretty annoyed at lots of the missing features too, especially the trolling that PD gave us with Zahara :mad:, but life's too short etc so I'm happy to just get on with enjoying the game :dopey:)

Edit: Tested photomode

Last edited:
Okay, I think I've eliminated nearly every possibility regarding what the Café option is supposed to be, it isn't a reference to Café racer bikes because that would make no sense, so the only explanations left are:

1. They are an alternative to cruise lobbies, the only difference being that coffee and silly banter are encouraged and they are only open in the morning.
OR
2. The team over at PD hold a special reverence for coffee, hence the Coffee Break challenges, Café lobby option and three Premium-quality models of Suzuki Cappuccino :D

Building to class, step tuning son. No need for the power limiter. Build to get as close to power and pp of the class.
As @iainoflo85 already said, what does that have to do with Tuning Prohibited Lobbies which is what I'm talking about?

Okay, I think I've eliminated nearly every possibility regarding what the Café option is supposed to be, it isn't a reference to Café racer bikes because that would make no sense, so the only explanations left are:

1. They are an alternative to cruise lobbies, the only difference being that coffee and silly banter are encouraged and they are only open in the morning.
OR
2. The team over at PD hold a special reverence for coffee, hence the Coffee Break challenges, Café lobby option and three Premium-quality models of Suzuki Cappuccino :D

For lack of anything to go on I'm assuming:

Cruise is now for people taking cruising seriously - driving closely together, photo parades, that sort of thing. Perhaps cop rooms could fit under this designation as well as they involve driving at non-racing speeds, although I could see why they might not. Hopefully people who like to do these things will have less trouble with people horsing around and racing.

Free Run can now be for people who want to actually drive at speed around a track in a track-day-type format and impromptu racing/touge. Not having [as many] people who want to do radically different things will be a very welcome change there.

People who just want to look at each others' cars now have a nice way to look for such rooms and advertise themselves.

Café rooms can be for stuff that doesn't fit into anything else, hang-around do-what-you-want rooms can use this. This may also be the appropriate venue for cop rooms and things like car soccer and other oddball events.

All things considered I think it's a very welcome addition although there may have been a better name than "Café." The lack of a Drift tag is also very strange.

• As with GT5, selecting 3D pushes the screen res down to 2x720p (L/R eye) so you lose some resolution. Expected really, with this generation console. Hopefully PS4 will be able to do FullHD 3D.
  • The resolution loss seems more apparent (more jaggies and aliasing) than in GT5, but choosing 'Reduce flicker' display mode helps a tad, but the jaggies and resultant 'shimmering' when driving are quite noticeable. once you're in game and racing though, it's less of an issue as you're moving pretty quickly and the sense of speed is great.

I tried the 3D last night. I can confirm that there is a lot of jaggies and antialiasing... From what I remember, it wasn't like that in GT5 (and I've only played in 3D with this game). My TV is also bigger now (50" vs 40") this is probably why I can really see the jaggies :(

I will try to use the "reduce flicker" display mode and see if it's better...

OR

What I still find problematic is how official site still says there is no difference among lobby types, but in the same time "Race for Real" gives CR payouts after the race, while "Race for Fun" does not. Have no idea about other modes, but post-race payouts are somehow a difference (although not a significant one because rewards itself are not that huge)..

I haven't played GT6 in some time, but fired it up last night to update, and spent an hour with the new FT1 event. (4,000th no aids, haven't driven on Fuji since FGT event of GT5) I am very impressed at the new and improved sensation of driving around the track, as it obviously appears far more fluid than ever before. If PD needed to address this , prior adding promised features back into the game, then I approve their approach. Any subtle improvements the immersion factor far outweighs features in this game.

Why the hell they haven't announced this as a feature on update notes, leaves me bewitched. It leaves me to believe that Kaz is keeping his true time costing updates hidden from Sony's budget "allowance"

Kind of like the updates. :lol:

Of course people are angry. They bought a game with half off it missing and got nothing but promises. I'd have agreed with you (and did) 2 months ago. I don't hate PD nor GT6. I still love it actually but still, so far if what we're seeing is any indication, they have out and out lied. When they added updates to GT5, it was great and told us it wasn't forgotten as we had bought it without missing features. Yeah, it took forever for it to finally come out, but when it did, it had what they said it would have. The difference now is, GT6 does not. If this update or any of the others had even ONE step towards the missing content being added or even a few cars with improved sounds, I suspect people would be happy and patting PD on the back because then at least an attempt would have been made. People are angry because there appears to be no progress being made at all. These features added this update might be nice AFTER the missing game is added but until then adding toys and candy floss that almost no one even has an interest in is not the answer people want.

Last edited:
What I still find problematic is how official site still says there is no difference among lobby types, but in the same time "Race for Real" gives CR payouts after the race, while "Race for Fun" does not. Have no idea about other modes, but post-race payouts are somehow a difference (although not a significant one because rewards itself are not that huge)..

Eh? I received a minor payout for racing in Race for Fun rooms. :confused:

Perhaps you win a Cappucchino - badum tschh...

I'll get my coat.

Well, perhaps as a brief respite from all the moaning, I'm actually rather suprised they included the 3D support already, wasn't expecting it for ages (I guess like most I was hoping they'd deliver the more important omissions like course creater and community features first).

• Frame-rate is rock solid (80GB FAT PS3) though as others have noticed some of the graphics, eg smoke seem pixellated since 1.06 in the game, and this looks worse with the resolution loss in 3D. Similarly there seems to be some sort of moire patterning that occurs at certain points, again possible related to the new shading/hatching that PD seems to be using for effects.
  • The fine-tuning controls however for 3D depth and convergence are great - depth has 10 setting from 1-10, 1 being shallow and 10 being the deepest. Your preference would depend on the size of your TV, how far you are from it etc, but I've found the 7-8 gives a great sense of depth on my 52" Sony at about 10 feet away, with the track in the distance feeling the right 'depth' to create the right sense of speed/depth perception whilst racing
  • The convergence point goes from 0.00 to 1.00 in 0.01 steps (IIRC 1-100 GT5). This controls the zero-point of convergence - where the neutral plane is. In most cases 0 is ideal as that's the plane of your TV screen and the track is, however increasing this number a litle pushes back the point of convergence which has the effect of making some of the HUD come forward and 'float' a bit in front of the screen. Increasing even further will start to make the 3D pop out of the screen a bit which some people might like - I tend to prefer the 3D effect for racing games as 'distant' so have set mine to 0.15.
Playing with these numbers is possible from the quick options menu which is great - so you can test the effects pretty quickly, even online as I was doing yesterday evening. As downside for online though, even though other players' cars are in the distance, their names are on the zero (HUD) planes so you get a weird effect of a floating name that doesn't seem to correlate to the car - hopefully they will fix this so the name is on the same plane as the distance of the car - otherwise I'll be turning off names online as it's quite distracting if you have a pack of cars ahead of you.

Other observations:

• Whilst 3D in game was great in GT5, some of the 3D in the menu screens and animations looked really bad (ghosting) as the convergence axis was too deep. This is fixed in GT6 meaning 3D in the rest of the game (albeit very little) doesn't have this problem. Cockpit views in GT5 were horrible in 3D due to a weird convergence point, but look fantastic in GT6 - you get a great sense of proportion of the cabin and even looking through the rear view the size of the car feels 'just right'.
  • 3D works throughout the game so the main menu has the floating blue dots behind the main menu items etc and viewing cars in Dealerships, GTAuto (painting, parts etc) are in 3D too. Unfortunately due to the resolution loss, the jaggies are even more apparent in GTAuto, compounding the odd colour/lighting issues, but otherwise works well.
  • GT5 had 3D photomode - I haven't tried this yet, but hopefully 3D images can be saved in GT6
All in all, very happy with 3D, even with the loss of resolution and the jaggies - I played GT5 pretty much exclusively in 3D since that update - racing games really come alive with this tech, being able to see camber and anticipate distance better, so I'll be leaving this feature on.

Apologies for that interlude, please continue moaning.

(PS: I'm pretty annoyed at lots of the missing features too, especially the trolling that PD gave us with Zahara :mad:, but life's too short etc so I'm happy to just get on with enjoying the game :dopey:)

They probably removed AA for a stable framerate in 3D .... 👍

Kind of like the updates. :lol:

Of course people are angry. They bought a game with half off it missing and got nothing but promises. I'd have agreed with you (and did) 2 months ago. I don't hate PD nor GT6. I still love it actually but still, so far if what we're seeing is any indication, they have out and out lied. When they added updates to GT5, it was great and told us it wasn't forgotten as we had bought it without missing features. Yeah, it took forever for it to finally come out, but when it did, it had what they said it would have. The difference now is, GT6 does not. If this update or any of the others had even ONE step towards the missing content being added or even a few cars with improved sounds, I suspect people would be happy and patting PD on the back because then at least an attempt would have been made. People are angry because there appears to be no progress being made at all. These features added this update might be nice AFTER the missing game is added but until then adding toys and candy floss that almost no one even has an interest in is not the answer people want.

What? What did PD lie about? Also, what do you mean we aren't seeing any progress toward getting the features we were promised? We're nearly half way through the list and have had other additions on top of those...

Where did this idea that any feature that isn't one of the more anticipated promised features somehow doesn't count? They got all of the "meh" features out of the way first, it's not how I would have done it but it's done. From here on out any of the promised features that are added will be more anticipated ones.

They got all of the "meh" features out of the way first, it's not how I would have done it but it's done. From here on out any of the promised features that are added will be more anticipated ones.
In what business sector is it standard practice for a company to hold back all the stuff people really want and not release it for months, and instead spoon feed them stuff much lower down the list of anticipation? Most successful business's release the whizbang stuff first after huge promotions, in order to drive unit sales quickly which is the object of the exercise is it not?

Monthly track DLC was a flat out lie, for one.

Someone asked Taku about that last month on Twitter and he said that it was the plan at the time. One of my biggest disappointments is the lack of monthly track DLC and I really would have liked them to tell us when they found out that one a month wasn't going to be possible...He did say that tracks are being worked on and asked what we might like...

But, I'll give you that they did say monthly tracks and we never got them. That still leaves a post full of questionable logic pertaining to the updates...

In what business sector is it standard practice for a company to hold back all the stuff people really want and not release it for months, and instead spoon feed them stuff much lower down the list of anticipation? Most successful business's release the whizbang stuff first after huge promotions, in order to drive unit sales quickly which is the object of the exercise is it not?

I simply stated the order PD has decided to release the content. I never said it was the right way to do it or that I agreed with it. On the contrary, I said it wasn't how I would have done it. I'm not even trying to defend it, I'm just saying that's how things appear to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they need to add the option to limit the type of tuning allowed in online rooms. Something like a drop down list of what tuning is allowed from the list of tuning options we have power, power limiter usage(this can be 100% down to 50%), transmission, drivetrain, weight and aerodynamics. You can select which of these is not allowed which I think would be a great addition as I would like to run LMP and Group C room with their actual hp numbers and to do that using the limiter is the only option but you can still over tune then detune. With the addition of tuning type limit would enforce use of the limiter only and remove the choice of power i.e no turbos or superchargers can be applied.

I have pretty much all the LMP and Group C cars save for the 787B and I tuned every one of them to the hp numbers listed in the auto store which coincidentally is the actual hp the cars raced with some of them had different hp but not by much I checked online sources to be sure. Let me tell you the cars handle better at low speeds and still get up to 190-200 mph without drafting if the straight is long enough but they are still as nimble as they should. There was something else I think would be good to include in the game but I forgot at the moment. Be back if I remember.

I have yet to notice anything worth talking about from the last 2 updates. Sure there might be some changes but to me they are not something that makes a radical difference and causes one to talk about how it has affected the game play.

Impressive how people keep trying to defend PD....with the words "soon" and "GT7P"

I can remember the days when the words the Real Delayator were invented. The excuses I hear from PD are:

1. Hardware not powerfull enough (PSX / PS2 / PS3)
2. It was planned but plans have changed (PS2 / PS3)
3. Huge leap forward over previous game (PS2 / PS3 / PS4)
4. Good DLC program (PS3)
5. Community features (PS2 / PS3)
6. Not enough time (PS2 / PS3)
7. We are working on it
8. Many more...members here at GTP can full up the list ;)....and the list goes on and on....

Excuses after excuses, promises broken and broken again, openly lying about features, zero communication, living under a rock, no innovation.

In the end if you take away the graphics and the new physics (which I liked) system people are still playing GT1!

....and now they are wondering why so many are angry :mad:

I understand the passion one has for a certain product or series but you are being "put in word of choice here" and you are seem to be enjoying it and are comming back for more :odd:

Last edited:
Back