Update suggestion

• Thread starter nitrorocks
  • 40 comments
United States
Phoenix, AZ
nitrorocks
Has anyone seen anything on the track generator in the feedback section? I haven't. The point if this thread is to state what you want updated in the track builder, discuss it, and the. People can put these in the feedback section of GTP.

I'd like more terrain control, so you can make crests smoother and so they're not in the middle of a blind turn. Also the ability to add bits of scenery like stands, or tent camps or a McDonalds!

To be able to CREATE a track, not have a list of pre-designed tracks. I want to create each corner myself like I was drawing it, PD always half-do things :grumpy:

Yeah like other games you can pick the length of straights and adjust the degrees of corners. Also adjust the elevation change. That would be awesome!

+1 for all. Could only speed things up a bit. In the meantime, I'd settle for a "reverse direction" check box - love Edinburough backwards Nitrorocks! :) - wrong direction sign gets up me nose a bit tho! :(

Come on PD... just an itti-bitty checkbox... Oh go on... "P-l-e-a-s-e"!?

I agree on the reverse direction. I spent a couple hours last night trying to make a Bathurst-like track, which doesn't quite work unless you are going counter clockwise. :(

Unfortunately I don't think there is enough interest in the Course Maker to get an update.

Of course we'd get more interest if there was more control, but I doubt PD will expend any effort on it.

For the moment, I would settle for a few added options. While the end goal is always more creative control, I would settle for two things right now:

1.) A new "circuit" theme, since Eifel is a tad too bumpy for my tastes. I like elevation changes, but not random elevation changes. So, I would go with a much flatter theme.

2.) Wider values for the "sharpness" slider. It's hard to make very sharp turns in any of the themes. The only way to get speeds below 50-70 mph (depending on tires) is to make the tracks so narrow that they are unusable online. Just my two cents.

Last edited:
2.) Wider values for the "sharpness" slider. It's hard to make very sharp turns in any of the themes. The only way to get speeds below 50-70 mph (depending on tires) is to make the tracks so narrow that they are unusable online. Just my two cents.

Agreed.

R1600Turbo
I agree on the reverse direction. I spent a couple hours last night trying to make a Bathurst-like track, which doesn't quite work unless you are going counter clockwise. :(

I have a track like Bathurst

+1 for all. Could only speed things up a bit. In the meantime, I'd settle for a "reverse direction" check box - love Edinburough backwards Nitrorocks! :) - wrong direction sign gets up me nose a bit tho! :(

Come on PD... just an itti-bitty checkbox... Oh go on... "P-l-e-a-s-e"!?
Agreed. Seems like it wouldn't be too much work, yet it can change the experience a lot.

Agree, also. I'd like to have some of those Grand Valley Speedway (hairpin) corners that really require you to slow down/accelerate.

A new theme would be appreciated although I do like elevation, although it doesn't have to be drastic. No or very little elevation makes it rather boring (my opinion of course). I didn't really like the Twin Ring Motegi circuit simply because it was so flat.

ANNIHILATOR90
Agreed. Seems like it wouldn't be too much work, yet it can change the experience a lot.

You'd think so. And I think some tracks just flow better that way - like Nitrorocks' Edinborough Curcuit; to get that true "Bathurst" vibe, it needs to be in reverse.

If PE didn't (couldn't) want to put it in TE for some reason, do you think it could be done with a check-box in the Track Settings menu?

A new theme would be appreciated

+1

A new theme would be appreciated although I do like elevation, although it doesn't have to be drastic. No or very little elevation makes it rather boring (my opinion of course). I didn't really like the Twin Ring Motegi circuit simply because it was so flat.
I agree with you that elevation changes are fun, but since we can't design tracks to work with the elevation changes, I'd rather have a flat circuit theme with small and gradual changes. It wouldn't be quite as fun, but then we could design more interesting circuits without having odd "hill-diving" turns that make tracks unusable. I wouldn't mind ending up with a flatter track, something like modern F1 circuits.

I agree with you that elevation changes are fun, but since we can't design tracks to work with the elevation changes, I'd rather have a flat circuit theme with small and gradual changes. It wouldn't be quite as fun, but then we could design more interesting circuits without having odd "hill-diving" turns that make tracks unusable. I wouldn't mind ending up with a flatter track, something like modern F1 circuits.
Yes that's true, there can be many blind turns on places where the elevation drops (drastically).

FIRST AND FOREMOST: To include\activate the POINT TO POINT feature seen in early pre-release screens of Course Maker.
I think what is limiting its potential is the fact that all layouts have to loop and so must find a way to reconnect with the last sector, in a point to point layout the road can go just about anywhere, and even end in another section of the map, increasing the number of configurations.

I REALLY like that PD have put more "environmental" touches to each Theme, with "roads" and paths across the landscape. More of this, but in Toscana Tarmac and MtAso in particular, more signs of LIFE to make it more like a road than a road-like circuit in an isolated area, more trees in the "no mans land" areas.

TRUE 180 degree HAIRPINS, this is a must when creating "tarmac rally" style stages, as well as K-turns (90degree turns at a cross road).

A (minus) -10 (aka one single lane) ROAD WIDTH
@ Toscana, I like -5 but i try to drive in one lane to make it like a tighter country road you would see in WRC events.

NEW THEMES: English Countryside.
Have a look at Victory By Design, the nice little estate trail they use is perfect, tight, winding, wrapping around a lake with a forest section, very simple but very beautiful.

Seems to me a title page with a series of check-box parameters would be useful, to help steer the editor more efficiently towards the "kind" of track the user would like to achieve, from the onset; eg;

Theme selection; choice of 6 (or more)
Terrain type - Tarmac, gravel, snow
Intended (primary) vehicle type; F1, DTC, etc.
Undulations & Camber - "none", "mild", "heavy", "Extreme"
Elevation (as Und. & Camber)
Point to Point - yes / no
LENGTH (!?) - (would LOVE to make my own Bürger!)
Etc - you can see where I'm going.

This "Title" page then "sets up" a more refined version of the "Editor" page we're currently using to begin with; with section selection ability and a few more "specific" editing tools - including; direct "choice" of corner type WITH degree selection, ripple strip length & placement, etc... aswell as the usual suspects.

The sheer randomness of TE is what makes it such a chore in it's present form IMHO.

Gas anyone here heard of Bobs Track Builder? It's perfect!!! It's for THE GTR and rFactor games. You can adjust as much camber as you want, any layout and length you want, different asphalt and dirt, snow types, just about any trackside objects. You can also mark out a route and export it from google earth. If you want a real track, the. Do it from google earth. Want your own street course? Mark it on google earth.

What would also greatly improve the variety and number of configs is having a system where you set "pinpoints" of each section manually on the map and let course maker fill in the blanks between sections with randomly generated sections, but this way we could get the course to go along the topography the way we want it to rather than having to go through 100s of layouts.

Agree with most of this. The English country road theme would be nice as long as the ability to add Little Chef restaurants is there along with odd dead badger on the road.

Obviously this would need to be a variable weather course.

Surprised no one has mentioned this yet - FIX MOUNT ASO! Patch 1.06 completely RUINED that place, you can't even get two miles anymore, and there's so little variance in layouts that I had the overall designs memorized and named at one point. Give us the old Mt. Aso, PD! Give us the Mt. Aso we all loved!

Back