Used Car Dealership is horrible!

• Thread starter Arthur-A
  • 79 comments
Not to judge anybody else's way of playing the game, but I don't know why so many people want to be able to obtain all of the cars straight away.
It’s not about time, but convenience. In GT Sport you could just go and buy whatever car you wanted in whatever official color you wanted.

Who even cares about the fact that cars older than year 2001 can only be obtained used? It makes no difference to the game whatsoever, other than being inconvenient.

my UCD hasnt updated in 2 days and im hella confused. LCD updates one car at a time and slowly (guess its more realistic) Hey atleast i got one of my fave cars the 911 GT1 streetversion in my collection

It’s not about time, but convenience. In GT Sport you could just go and buy whatever car you wanted in whatever official color you wanted.

Who even cares about the fact that cars older than year 2001 can only be obtained used? It makes no difference to the game whatsoever, other than being inconvenient.
And to me it should be connected to distance driven like mile points in GTS. The game shouldn't care what I do when I drive cars. That would be nice.

There are small changes every day. The change may be cars getting replaced with other cars, but some days you’ll only see cars moving to “limited stock” or “sold out”.

Mine hasn't added a new car in 2 days, only removing a few, and I believed it was bugged. If just changing cars to limited stock is considered a daily update, and considering the number of cars and color combinations in the game, the UCD is updating waaaaay too slow...

Ps. I finished menu 39, so the catalog is not related to my current menu state.

Last edited:
Maybe "forcing people on same cars" is a way to boost number of liveries/styles for those cars at game start, I don't know... But maybe not as I guess some liveries are imported from GT Sport ?
That's not a bad shout TBF - so there's a vague hope they'd change it in future (but they won't, we know that...)

It becomes evident if you buy a random car from brand central that clearly not a lot of people have bought. I bought the RX-vision road car on day 3 of the game's release and at that time there were 0 liveries for it lol

Remote Play WTf is that ??? :dunce:
Look for the PS Remote play app in your chosen mobile store (white controller with two dots on a blue background). Download that and pair it up with your console and you can now theoretically play anything from anywhere on your phone. In my experience, the controls are a little imprecise and there is a bit of lag, but it is plenty good enough to make UCD purchases.

The UCD is basically the Specialty Dealer from FM7 except that instead of a special number you get (way) more cars to choose from.

Since it's an used dealer, I'm disappointed that the cars aren't Craiglist quality. I wanted to see real junk in there, like in NFS Porsche Unleashed where the UCD could be mistaken for a scrapyard, not cars whose worst condition is "Normal".

There is one HUGE difference though, the GT4 one updated based on in-game time, so you could cycle through them relatively quickly and you didn't miss any as long as you didn't advance your own in-game time. You put the game on two weeks later, the UCD is the same as you left it.

The GT7 one is, as OP says, just adding one or two cars every real-time day. So not only is it much slower to rotate cars, if you can't play the game for a few real-time days, you might miss out on a car. That isn't fun, expecting people to play every day to get the cars they want.

GT4 launched on the PS2, where there was limited internet connectivity. GT7 is an always-online game which takes advantage of server pinging to create a shared experience.

You can't analyze GT7 with 2004 standards. Car games changed a lot in the last 10 years (IMO for the worse), and GT7 is a game of its time, for better or worse.

Last edited:
I've just done a quick survey, and of the 424 cars in the game, 305 of them are available right now (it would be 306 if the Plymouth XNR wasn't sold out at the LCD).

That makes about 7/10 of the cars available - which is certainly "a fraction", but then 424/424 would also be a fraction.

For reference, there's 128 cars in the Used and Legend dealerships (apparently 70+ in Legends, although I don't agree with that figure at the moment), and 10 new cars that are only available by in-game invites.
/thread

I would question the validity of the TC if he claims to have driven ALL 305 cars available right away. And if he hasn't claimed that, then what is he winging about. Enjoy the cars you have now, and look forward to the ones you can get later.

This game needs more cars in general. But with the standard now being highly detailed interior and exterior, the time investment for new cars is massive, plus if the cars happens to be rarer or lesser known, there is a large chance it will be left to rot in gran turismo 4. There's still a fair amount of dupes in GT7, there's just not many cars left to actually rotate.

But that's the point. What you regard as inconvenient, others would regard as a good game mechanic.

It varies game by game and genre by genre, but typically you can't access everything straight away at all times, and some things are rarer than others.

What you're calling 'inconvenient' is just a basic challenge/reward game mechanic.

Did you know that there were many requests to bring UCD back at GT6's era before?

Though what I wish in GT7 was that UCD to only feature cars below 2001 (so at the beginning can buy at Brand Central too).

But that's the point. What you regard as inconvenient, others would regard as a good game mechanic.

It varies game by game and genre by genre, but typically you can't access everything straight away at all times, and some things are rarer than others.

What you're calling 'inconvenient' is just a basic challenge/reward game mechanic.
There’s nothing challenging or rewarding about the used car dealership rotation, because the player has no influence on it.

There’s nothing challenging or rewarding about the used car dealership rotation, because the player has no influence on it.
The challenge is that not everything is always available, and you have to check back and make sure you've got the credits in case what you want pops up.

It's no different to how games have been in the past, with certain items being hard to find and of limited availability.

The challenge is that not everything is always available, and you have to check back and make sure you've got the credits in case what you want pops up.

It's no different to how games have been in the past, with certain items being hard to find and of limited availability.
What you call a challenge there is what I call an inconvenience. Challenges have to be engaging in order to make sense.

Many cars in Forza also have limited-time availability, but they can be obtained by completing specific tasks and objectives, i.e. proper challenges. That exemplifies how to make car rarity go hand in hand with a reward system. Not to say I’m a big fan of Forza’s way of doing it, but at least it feels challenging and rewarding to collect the rare cars.

Last edited:
Me: load game. Check used cars. Nothing new. Great. Close game and do something else.

Anyone else feel sad that this is the current state of a new gran turismo game? Bored after less than a fortnight.

Out of curiosity, how many hours have you played the game? Given all the content, I'm slightly staggered that people are bored of the game after 11 days.

Most cars are available and a lot of them have far more extensive customization options than ever before, there are custom races, more tracks now have dynamic time and weather settings, the graphics are out of this world. Apart from the career mode being too short and it taking longer to rotate through the used car dealership, I can't see what's made this game so terrible

Me: load game. Check used cars. Nothing new. Great. Close game and do something else.

Anyone else feel sad that this is the current state of a new gran turismo game? Bored after less than a fortnight.
I feel the same way at this point, but I still force myself to repeat an event or two just to grow my credits balance and to receive the daily workout ticket.

Did I play GT Sport any differently? Not really, but I actually enjoyed every mile I drove in that game.

I feel the same way at this point, but I still force myself to repeat an event or two just to grow my credits balance and to receive the daily workout ticket.

Did I play GT Sport any differently? Not really, but I actually enjoyed every mile I drove in that game.
Out of curiosity, what do you think made GT Sport enjoyable, whereas GT7 isn't?

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, how many hours have you played the game? Given all the content, I'm slightly staggered that people are bored of the game after 11 days.

Most cars are available and a lot of them have far more extensive customization options than ever before, there are custom races, more tracks now have dynamic time and weather settings, the graphics are out of this world. Apart from the career mode being too short and it taking longer to rotate through the used car dealership, I can't see what's made this game so terrible
I'm at around 50 hours now in game. Haven't checked my stats again since the weekend though. I'm basically finding it tedious waiting for my favourite cars to become available. It's also tedious that cars are jerking all over the place in meeting place lobbies. I enjoy track day format online. GT sport currently offers a more rounded experience and has much the same content. I do enjoy GT7 but there's just not much reason to keep playing it right now.

Btw I'm a pretty hardcore GT player, have played them all since 97 when I was 10. I contribute my love of Japanese cars to GT.

But that's exactly how it was in GT4, except now instead of the rotation happening based on in-game days it happens in real 24 hour intervalls and there's less changes as well.

What that means is that instead of advancing the UCD rotation by actually playing the game for maybe an hour you can only sit there for days, maybe even weeks, and hope that your favourite car shows up eventually and I don't see how one can argue that this is a change for the better.

It's not though, because you have no control over it and there is no direct challenge.

When I play Horizon I don't get access to the rarest/best armour and weapons at the start of the game. I play through the game (the challenge) and gradually I'm rewarded with better armour and weapons.

With GT7 one can play through the entire game, and whilst they are gradually rewarded with cars they can not acquire a certain number of them no matter what they do.

The game has been out for 12 days now (Longer for those who got it a week early), many people could have conceivably played it for 50 hours or more, and not one single person owns any one of about 60 cars, because they've never been available to buy. They might have completed every challenge the game has to offer, played a truly hardcore number of hours, and it makes not a blind bit of difference.

When they do appear it won't be because they've completed any further challenge, it'll be because the car randomly appeared. If they don't happen to play for the two/three days it's available, they miss out. Playing the game on April 7th to 10th or whatever is not a challenge. It's not a challenge/reward mechanic.

Winning the car after completing a 10 race championship that takes 20 hours to finish, that is.

Last edited:
I'm disappointed the colours aren't randomised for each day the car appears in the UCD. Just that small change would certainly add a lot, especially if they did unique colours (such as from another model by that company).

My gripe is that there's been Ferraris, Porsches, BMWs, but God forbid I get an MR2 or 180sx in there

But that's exactly how it was in GT4, except now instead of the rotation happening based on in-game days it happens in real 24 hour intervalls and there's less changes as well.

What that means is that instead of advancing the UCD rotation by actually playing the game for maybe an hour you can only sit there for days, maybe even weeks, and hope that your favourite car shows up eventually and I don't see how one can argue that this is a change for the better.
In GT4 there were more ordinary cars and the rotation, as has been stated before, was quicker.

What if not all cars are ready and are not currently in the game?
That's why you're able to use some in missions/license tests/Music Rally and see AI drive them in races, right? :dunce:

Last edited:
Back