Used cars dealership in Gran Turismo 7

• Thread starter Nigrick
  • 1,668 comments
Canada
Toronto
NigrickUS
Hey, let’s talk about used car dealership. This feature intriguing me the most. I don’t think it would be anything like previous GT games. It could be something like auction house in forza where you buy someone else car, but maybe the twist is that the car is locked, and you can’t change paint job or tune it. What do you think?

Hey, let’s talk about used car dealership. This feature intriguing me the most. I don’t think it would be anything like previous GT games. It could be something like auction house in forza where you buy someone else car, but maybe the twist is that the car is locked, and you can’t change paint job or tune it. What do you think?
They should lock the livery/paint but not the tune because everyone drives differently

I think it will either be:

1. Filled with older 'regular' cars. Like how the used dealer in GT2 was.

2. Filled with regular older cars with the occasional very rare car showing up *much like the black racecars in GT4 showing every 1500 days IIRC*. An example would be putting the 911 GT1 in here to show up maybe every 2000 in-game days considering how cars like that very seldom show up for sale IRL.

3. An auction house Forza style setup, which IMO is the most likely and is hopefully the case.

I think a neat thing they could do with the UCD is have an employee at PD make a bunch of liveries for the Gr.# cars and have those cars circulate the dealership with some pre-made liveries that you can’t get through buying them normally. That way it would sort of be like buying a car second-hand from a racing team that already has mileage on it or something like that. Of course the whole discount vs worn parts consideration still exists, this would just add a little more personality to it for the race cars.

Its probably going to be cut and pasted from previous GT games. A chance to buy cheaper cars on rotation with additional button clicking to restore performance to stock levels.

I think it will either be:

1. Filled with older 'regular' cars. Like how the used dealer in GT2 was.

2. Filled with regular older cars with the occasional very rare car showing up *much like the black racecars in GT4 showing every 1500 days IIRC*. An example would be putting the 911 GT1 in here to show up maybe every 2000 in-game days considering how cars like that very seldom show up for sale IRL.

3. An auction house Forza style setup, which IMO is the most likely and is hopefully the case.

Most likely, it will be a mixture of all three. Only having a Forza style auction house makes no sense at all. The career modes in Gran Turismo have many different events, with widely varying rules about what sorts of cars can and can't enter each of them. If an auction house where players put their cars up for sale is the only place you can obtain used cars in the game, you could be waiting ages to get a suitable car, for a particular event.

This feature intriguing me the most. I don’t think it would be anything like previous GT games.

Why wouldn't it be? I definitely could see Kaz wanting some type of separate online/player Auction house system, but the classic Used Car dealership we all know and love is 100% here to stay for two reasons:

1. It's main purpose is to help players get their singleplayer 'career' started with cheap cars.

2. There is a lot of room for improvement to the Used Car dealership in this generation. This is the first time we will have a Used Car dealership with cars that will actually have its mileage calculated on the dashboard in real-time (which is pretty neat). Wouldn't surprise me if they made the cars visibly dirty when you buy it, or have some type of randomly generated dent's in the body panels that reduce the price of certain cars.

It would be a huge missed opportunity if they just decide to give up on the classic formula, when they could just improve it heavily.

Why wouldn't it be? I definitely could see Kaz wanting some type of separate online/player Auction house system, but the classic Used Car dealership we all know and love is 100% here to stay for two reasons:

1. It's main purpose is to help players get their singleplayer 'career' started with cheap cars.

2. There is a lot of room for improvement to the Used Car dealership in this generation. This is the first time we will have a Used Car dealership with cars that will actually have its mileage calculated on the dashboard in real-time (which is pretty neat). Wouldn't surprise me if they made the cars visibly dirty when you buy it, or have some type of randomly generated dent's in the body panels that reduce the price of certain cars.

It would be a huge missed opportunity if they just decide to give up on the classic formula, when they could just improve it heavily.
Imagine if there was an Auction system where there could be a car that nobody else had seen other than you, and because of that you would get an expensive car for a small amount of money

What if the Used Car Dealer is loaded with Standard Cars? :D
No way it’s going to happen lol.

I don't think it will be the same. Just because GTS happened with the livery editor and it was very successful. In GT7 they adding tuning as well, and that means that players can create their unique vehicles now. Sell them for in-game money is the natural thing to do, and PD can actually make it happen with new-gen console.

You mentioned dent and dirt on used cars... this would be cool. My dream to have system similar to NFS: PU. But I don't think it will happen unless they improve the damage model. And just from the aesthetic standpoint, I can't see that Kaz would dedicate a whole menu of ultra detailed cars, that makes so much hard work to do, just to present them in a damaged way, and not the best way possible. It's not a PS2 era anymore. These cars are extremely hard to make. What was a two week of work for Gran Turismo 3 car, could be 6 months of work for the same car in GT 7.

I think a neat thing they could do with the UCD is have an employee at PD make a bunch of liveries for the Gr.# cars and have those cars circulate the dealership with some pre-made liveries that you can’t get through buying them normally. That way it would sort of be like buying a car second-hand from a racing team that already has mileage on it or something like that. Of course the whole discount vs worn parts consideration still exists, this would just add a little more personality to it for the race cars.

Sounds like a good Idea, PD must make note of this

Could feature exclusive cars from GT League races

Imagine if there was an Auction system where there could be a car that nobody else had seen other than you, and because of that you would get an expensive car for a small amount of money

As someone who plays Forza Horizon 4 pretty often, the Auction system is EXTREMELY flawed, and its only fun the first few weeks of a games life.

It has got to to the point where large amounts of players buy out as many cars as they can during a period when a car is easily attainable, just to hoard them till the price skyrockets. Once the car is no longer able to be earned, they all mass sell them on the auction block for maximum price.

After the players learn how to exploit it, it gets extremely frustrating for everyone else. I would much prefer something akin to a player trading menu (for not just cars, but rims, paints, ect) instead of an open auction block.

If GT7's UCD contains cars from older era like any GT with it except GT5, which year range it will cover and which year range will the Brand Central cover? Like for example in GT4 cars before 2000 are in either Classics/Legendary or UCD.

Why would you need to? You can crowdsource all of this like with the "Discover" feature on GT Sport. You'd immediately have access to much more content and PD wouldn't have to waste money having someone do it full time for lesser results.

Recently, Ive been reading the car lists of past GT's and it would show 10-20 MX-5's or Skylines or S2000's that all look the same to me.

In other words, same exact car, slightly different model name. Its understandable if they duplicated them in order to give the used car dealership that kind of nostalgia like in GT1/2.

However, im hoping PD won't duplicate those cars just to the build car numbers up and not show anything new.

Recently, Ive been reading the car lists of past GT's and it would show 10-20 MX-5's or Skylines or S2000's that all look the same to me.

In other words, same exact car, slightly different model name. Its understandable if they duplicated them in order to give the used car dealership that kind of nostalgia like in GT1/2.

However, im hoping PD won't duplicate those cars just to the build car numbers up and not show anything new.
Some of them were quite different, for example S2000 had AP1 version, older version with 9K RPM, then newer AP2 version with less RPM, but more torque, better cornering and face-lift. Having 10+ versions was unnecessary indeed, but I wouldn't mind having few versions of certain cars, as long as they different enough. And it wouldn't take too much time to make these cars neither I'd guess.

Some of them were quite different, for example S2000 had AP1 version, older version with 9K RPM, then newer AP2 version with less RPM, but more torque, better cornering and face-lift. Having 10+ versions was unnecessary indeed, but I wouldn't mind having few versions of certain cars, as long as they different enough. And it wouldn't take too much time to make these cars neither I'd guess.
I actually would agree with the actually different ones, I think this is an educational factor to the cars with some variations of it made ("there's not only a Skyline R33, but an LM version to commemorate something is also made", "NSX has a type R version, but unlike other type R which the non-type R are standard family cars, NSX is already a high end Japanese sportscar with 276 hp and the type R only reduces the weight"), but obviously especially those that are not total petrolheads would just deem all exactly the same. Even those that are actually different like GT Supra 2018 & 2020 in GT Sport (I wonder if this is just new Supra hate, because previously someone asked for standard Murcielago along with LP640), or old and new TT in GT Sport. This is my personal list when adding duplicates: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/duplicates-in-gt7.325202/

S2000's duplicates are utterly ridiculous though, with merely different year and (J)/(EU) versions, because GT5/GT6 united all the different region cars. That unlike the others in that list, I only pick 3 of them (2003 AP1 & type V, 2006 AP2). And in GT5-GT6, there's only 1 of each that are Premiums, which would mean they only worked up on one of them.

Last edited:
That was the case with a lot of models in GT5 because of the region compounding. IIRC there were 11 actual different Miata's, which were all duplicated twice as MX-5 and Eunos Roadsters for a total of 33. Mind you, you could also argue that some of those 11 weren't different enough to warrant inclusion.

Let's hope that isn't going to happen with GT7.

That was the case with a lot of models in GT5 because of the region compounding. IIRC there were 11 actual different Miata's, which were all duplicated twice as MX-5 and Eunos Roadsters for a total of 33. Mind you, you could also argue that some of those 11 weren't different enough to warrant inclusion.

Let's hope that isn't going to happen with GT7.
Honestly want more option for the cars in dealership like choosing the badge for the car (only for exactly same type and performance though, not those that have been changed like NSX and NSX type R), choosing the left/right hand drive (J versions iirc are different steering?), etc. Also above already posted my list in a link for which "duplicates" should be in.

Honestly want more option for the cars in dealership like choosing the badge for the car (only for exactly same type and performance though, not those that have been changed like NSX and NSX type R), choosing the left/right hand drive (J versions iirc are different steering?), etc. Also above already posted my list in a link for which "duplicates" should be in.

Yeah I'd be fine if they were just trim options when you buy a car rather than including them in the overall car number count. "500 cars with 1500 trim options" would be far less misleading that "1500 cars".

Agreed. For some cars, I can tell there are some differences with many of the cars, but with certain S2000's (J)(EU) versions as one person mentioned for example, I'd like to see that variation with varied RPM's and weight instead of the same general version duplicated.

Yeah I'd be fine if they were just trim options when you buy a car rather than including them in the overall car number count. "500 cars with 1500 trim options" would be far less misleading that "1500 cars".
Note that I only apply that to those that merely have different names though, not any of that cars. For example I would still separate J Limited and SR-Limited (SR has 10 hp more, weights a bit more, a bit different price), but would have a badge option for both where you can choose the name MX-5/Miata/Eunos like how you can choose colors. Because unpopular opinion but I won't unite those that actually have differences, like GR Supra 2019 & 2020 (different performance wise). Also that there are those who treat every car with the same name as duplicates like 2003 TT & 2014 TTS ._. Also as I made a list trimming down the duplicates that should be in IMO, anything to fix on it? I feel like I'm in the wrong to made that for still including few versions of certain cars I feel are different enough: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/duplicates-in-gt7.325202/

I think it will depend much on the types of cars in the game, I don't see ferrari signing up to a used car dealership mechanism for GT7. In the previous games it worked because you had lots of low-level cars, such as corollas, s2000, mx5, etc. but in GT Sport (assuming all the roster translates to 7) there weren't much

PD could've made it happen on PS3 14 years ago. Just like they could a livery editor.
No they couldn't. PD is known for they unique vision on racing games, that is why we loving it. While everyone else was adding livery editor in their games, PD worked on track editor. They where focusing on other things like Vision GT and academy, that is why GT can't keep up with modern trend. But now it's different, I think. It's harder to ignore others and with ps5 they need to win over a younger, more casual audience.

Latest Posts

Back