Used to be good, now I suck at drifting after getting a G27

• Thread starter SGT Serb
  • 31 comments
United States
United States
SGT Serb
Anyone else have this issue?

I used to play with a D3 controller and had no problem drifting like a fiend. When I upgraded my set up and got a Logitech G27 I found that I can no longer do a damn thing without spinning out. The problem is that when you countersteer the steering wheel is too slow to snap back to center like it would in a real car so all I end up doing is just spinning out like an a-hole.

How are you other steering wheel guys doing it? Is it just one of those things that "takes some getting used to" or do you just need to change your style of driving? I'm especially interested in hearing from anyone that has real world drifting experience as I do and I base my driving off what I'd do in a real car which doesn't seem to be working at all for me in GT6 drift land.

Anyone else have this issue?

I used to play with a D3 controller and had no problem drifting like a fiend. When I upgraded my set up and got a Logitech G27 I found that I can no longer do a damn thing without spinning out. The problem is that when you countersteer the steering wheel is too slow to snap back to center like it would in a real car so all I end up doing is just spinning out like an a-hole.

How are you other steering wheel guys doing it? Is it just one of those things that "takes some getting used to" or do you just need to change your style of driving? I'm especially interested in hearing from anyone that has real world drifting experience as I do and I base my driving off what I'd do in a real car which doesn't seem to be working at all for me in GT6 drift land.

I've never let the wheel snap by itself in game or real life.
It's just a crash waiting to happen.

Also my real life style works just fine in GT, just practice you'll get there eventually.

When I said snap I didn't mean I just let the wheel go and hope for the best, but when you let it go back to center it seems like you really have to muscle the wheel to go from lock to lock and it seems super slow compared to how I've driven in real life.

1 and 1........ That's just what felt the best for normal grip driving. Like I said I am a complete noob with my G27.

Haha that's way too low for me. I personally have it set at 10 10 and simulation mode. I'd suggest you start at around 5 and adjust to your liking.

And it still won't make you drift like before, it takes hours and hours of practice. Good luck!

That's why I'm posting and asking for help homie... I said I was a noob with the steering wheel and getting the settings dialed in.

Yeah man don't worry about them, but yeah man i also use 10 10 and simulation as my settings, practice makes perfect, real life technique works fine, i couldn't when i first started with G27 either, just practice bro :)

What button do you G27 guys use for the e brake? I have one of the buttons near the shifter set as the e brake but I often miss it or end up changing views on accident haha

I remember how hard it was to get used to my G27 , but lots of practice and practice again gave me what i wanted :) You will get used to it too ! just be patient and practice ! Cheers mate!

What button do you G27 guys use for the e brake? I have one of the buttons near the shifter set as the e brake but I often miss it or end up changing views on accident haha
It would happen the same to me. I ended up selecting the button next to the ebrake one as N/A until I got used to where I had to press without looking.

I have mine the first one from left to right; close to my wheel. Unfortunately, I cannot make modifications because my space is limited but if not, I

would've done it.

Lmao I have the top four diamond shape buttons set as e brake and I still happen to miss.

Hardly any real drifter just lets the wheel snap, there's always input with the hands. Practice.

I've never let the wheel snap by itself in game or real life.
It's just a crash waiting to happen.

Also my real life style works just fine in GT, just practice you'll get there eventually.

What I meant by letting the wheel "snap" wasn't just letting it go entirely and hoping for the best..... This video illustrates what I'm talking about. Fast forward to around 1:20ish. When Chris is transitioning, he is actually letting the steering wheel go. Yes, he is providing some input, but he's letting the car (and throttle) do most of the work not physically muscling the steering wheel around the entire way. That's what I was talking about, and that's what I meant by the G27 being slow. I've been practicing and messing with settings and I am slowly getting better on the game. Just takes a LOT of getting used to.

tbh i rarely use the e brake i mainly clutch kick but my e brake is set to the top right hand button on the wheel so you sort of press it and let the wheel spin - and - catch, but im not a big fan of using the e brake i dont find it neccessary

tbh i rarely use the e brake i mainly clutch kick but my e brake is set to the top right hand button on the wheel so you sort of press it and let the wheel spin - and - catch, but im not a big fan of using the e brake i dont find it neccessary
Hey Spilly, welcome to the community! Cookies are over there to the left, cake's to the right, and there are a pile of broken DS3s and steering wheels in the corner over there. :)

By the way, when you get a chance, you may want to take a look at the Acceptable Use Policy, as it mentions that you should use decent grammar, spelling and punctuation at all times. If you have any questions, feel free to ask a mod. I recommend @daan, @Jordan, @Terronium-12 or @Famine because they're all super-helpful. Enjoy your time here on the 'Planet!

Im also new with gt drifting. Ive been practicing all week, and getting as much knowledge as possible.

Its been said that drifting is 60% tuning.

Lower ride height. soften rear springs, dampers, and roll bars. Bring rear toe and caster to near zero. Differential set to arournd 10/60/40. COMFORT HARD TIRES

I like ffb low(3). But I will try raising it to 7 or so. It just makes the wheel seem too stiff imo.

Btw I use interior cam

Suspension setup and steering settings, I run on 8,8 but without a good suspension tune any setting will suck balls.

I'm in the same boat. Picked up a g27 today and I am woeful. Can't do a single corner. Think it'll be back to standard cars for a while to get used to it. YouTube videos make it seem effortless

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat. Picked up a g27 today and I am woeful. Can't do a single corner. Think it'll be back to standard cars for a while to get used to it. YouTube videos make it seem effortless

Don't try drifting straight away.

You're better off doing racing on comfort soft tyres in either the S13, FC RX-7 or AE86 with around 200-250hp.
Doing this will teach you a lot on how the wheel behaves. Once you are consistent with your laps, then you can start drifting.

Take the same car but with comfort hards to The Streets Of Willow skidpan.
Just first try drifting small circles, figure 8's, and drifting around the big white circled line.

Once you can do that, then you can focus on going around tracks.

The rear just whips around so much quicker than I can counter steer or it grips up and spits the other way. I'll keep practicing but damn it's frustrating.

The rear just whips around so much quicker than I can counter steer or it grips up and spits the other way. I'll keep practicing but damn it's frustrating.
I used to learn by doing donuts. Actual donuts, not where you dont even bother countersteering. Try it, maybe it will work for you. Dont give up!

hey me too I just started today with my g27 on gt6! I played with different settings and I suggest you to try FFB 3 and 10 with Simulation. I still cannot drift, but these settings did help

I made a dodgy adapter to fit a decent spare 350mm wheel I had laying around and it has made a pretty big difference, feels a bit more natural than the little gokart wheel. Still suck but persisting.

Back