User Decals - A Tutorial On How To Make .SVG (Request in separate thread)

• Thread starter daan
  • 1,460 comments
Hi all, I try to replica a custom 650S in GTS and I need to make some svg files for some logo, for example the CroisiEurpoe logo.

650S.jpg

SVG.jpg

I use Ai and after performing image trace the files become 67 KB which is far beyond the limit of 15KB.
CroisisEurope svg after image trace.jpg

I tried path simplify on the svg and the result was not acceptable.

After simplify.jpg

I also tried an online svg optimizer and the svg file goes from 67 KB to 53 KB.
Could someone please give me advice on how to perform a good image trace on Ai, thank you.

My method is to get a png ideally, import it into inkscape (free program).
Trace bitmap, delete the picture so just the bitmap trace is left.
Ungroup the object, separate the layers and delete the ones not needed to still obtain the desired image. Delete the blank background.
resize the page to the image thats left.
And save it.
If its under 15kb then great, if not I open it with SVGOMG and reduce it, normally its under 15kb now. If not I go back to inkscape and save the individual coloured layers and put them together on my car in the game.

I would separate the croisi europe into two decals one for the 1st line, 1 for the bottom line of text.

I would separate the S T I X into 4 decals.

Hi all, I try to replica a custom 650S in GTS and I need to make some svg files for some logo, for example the CroisiEurpoe logo.

View attachment 705299

View attachment 705295
I use Ai and after performing image trace the files become 67 KB which is far beyond the limit of 15KB.
View attachment 705297

View attachment 705298

Could someone please give me advice on how to perform a good image trace on Ai, thank you.

using a much larger image for the tracing will help. But I don't think it will be enough. I doubt you will get good results with auto tracing of that handwritten font, so you would need to manually trace it.

Easiest way would be to use a similar font and just type it and convert it to paths.

View attachment 705299

View attachment 705295
View attachment 705297

View attachment 705298

I think the tracing element is fine. The Path simplify is what's doing it in. I'd simplify it by hand; if a node is on a corner don't delete it, if it's on a curve that already has a node at each end, it's probably safe to delete.

My method is to get a png ideally, import it into inkscape (free program).
Trace bitmap, delete the picture so just the bitmap trace is left.
Ungroup the object, separate the layers and delete the ones not needed to still obtain the desired image. Delete the blank background.
resize the page to the image thats left.
And save it.
If its under 15kb then great, if not I open it with SVGOMG and reduce it, normally its under 15kb now. If not I go back to inkscape and save the individual coloured layers and put them together on my car in the game.

I would separate the croisi europe into two decals one for the 1st line, 1 for the bottom line of text.

I would separate the S T I X into 4 decals.

Hi JacksHerer, many thanks for your advice. After playing around with the Ai and use the SVGOMG, I manage to get the svg file smaller than 15kb and upload to the GTS community.

I will share them once I got access to my PS4 in 2 hours.

Decal 01.jpg

Decal 02.jpg

using a much larger image for the tracing will help. But I don't think it will be enough. I doubt you will get good results with auto tracing of that handwritten font, so you would need to manually trace it.

Easiest way would be to use a similar font and just type it and convert it to paths.

Many thanks for your advice, I will try to learn from youtube how to manually trace handwritten font.

I love gtplanet community!

I think the tracing element is fine. The Path simplify is what's doing it in. I'd simplify it by hand; if a node is on a corner don't delete it, if it's on a curve that already has a node at each end, it's probably safe to delete.

Many thanks for your reply. I will try to play around with the manually simplify in Ai.

I'm struggling to compress these images. Could someone please help?
View attachment 705245 View attachment 705246 View attachment 705244 View attachment 705247

Hi JacksHerer, many thanks for your advice. After playing around with the Ai and use the SVGOMG, I manage to get the svg file smaller than 15kb and upload to the GTS community.

I will share them once I got access to my PS4 in 2 hours.

View attachment 705312

View attachment 705313
:D

Here's my versions. Can't share them either as I'm not at my PS4 but I've attached them here.

Attachments

• STIX.zip
    17.9 KB · Views: 13
can some do the evasive and mcp racing logo. i asked 2 weeks ago in this thread thanks a lot. I know its not easy to find a good logo. But is it still not possible realy?

can some do the evasive and mcp racing logo. i asked 2 weeks ago in this thread thanks a lot. I know its not easy to find a good logo. But is it still not possible realy?

I can sort the Evasive one out, its on my to do list anyway

I Love colorful logos, its a shame my method just creates a messy fail.
Any suggestions how to reecreate this 'one trick zebra'
upload_2018-1-10_11-55-9.png

I'm struggling to compress these images. Could someone please help?
View attachment 705245 View attachment 705246 View attachment 705244 View attachment 705247

Here's my versions. Can't share them either as I'm not at my PS4 but I've attached them here.

I shared the STIX svg logo in GTS community with the following link: :D

https://www.gran-turismo.com/hk-zh/...gallery/all/decal/1328868/4828505320024211480

https://www.gran-turismo.com/hk-zh/...gallery/all/decal/1328868/4828500928888864784

https://www.gran-turismo.com/hk-zh/...gallery/all/decal/1328868/4692829983539758096

https://www.gran-turismo.com/hk-zh/...gallery/all/decal/1328868/4684385740680888336

I also finished the 650S gr.4 replica, since here is not a good place to share car livery, I will post it in the Gran Turismo Sport Livery Thread and Discussion!

Last edited:
Hello,

I've been struggling with a decal for hours and just cannot get it uploaded properly. The preview seems fine and the file size is 15kB but I keep getting "Failed reading file" error. Once I managed to upload it, but in GTS the decal didn't look the same as in the uploader - The blue cross was fully visible without the mask. In the original svg the cross was a bitmap and I traced it to a path and then removed the bitmap.

I'm a newbie using Inkscape and any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

Failed.PNG

Attachments

• finland-881128.zip
    13.6 KB · Views: 16
Hello,

I've been struggling with a decal for hours and just cannot get it uploaded properly. The preview seems fine and the file size is 15kB but I keep getting "Failed reading file" error. Once I managed to upload it, but in GTS the decal didn't look the same as in the uploader - The blue cross was fully visible without the mask. In the original svg the cross was a bitmap and I traced it to a path and then removed the bitmap.

View attachment 705587
It would seem that your svg isn't an svg. There are no nodes in it.

Hello,

View attachment 705587

Attachments

• finland.zip
    4.3 KB · Views: 14
Hello,

View attachment 705587

Your problem is because you have used a clipping mask for the blue part.

It would seem that your svg isn't an svg. There are no nodes in it.

I think I'm having the same issue with many other files too. They are ungouped, converted everything to paths and saved in Inkspace and then optimized with SVGOMG. Is there a simple way to fix this "Failed reading file" issue (or the missing nodes)?

converted everything to paths and saved in Inkspace
How are you doing that bit? I use "trace bitmap" option in Inkscape.

I knew nothing about SVG files before GTS came out (I knew what a vector image was, but that's about it) but I've just been able to reconfigure a decal that took 4 separate files before, into the one now!

Went from this...
ecurieecosseoriginal.PNG

to this.
ecurieecossenew.PNG

How are you doing that bit? I use "trace bitmap" option in Inkscape.

I knew nothing about SVG files before GTS came out (I knew what a vector image was, but that's about it) but I've just been able to reconfigure a decal that took 4 separate files before, into the one now!

Went from this...
View attachment 706152

to this.
View attachment 706153

Might I inquire on how you did that? I seem to have trouble with doing this on logos that are white with a different colored stroke.

Hi,

I uploaded some decals (downloaded, not created myself) yesterday, but I can't find them. Does it take some time to upload? I can see them in my profile of Playstation, but not in the game. They are less then 15kb.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Why is is that when I edit a file in SVGOMG and then download it, I can't upload the decal? Even though it is less than 15KB as indicated in the program?

Hi,

I uploaded some decals (downloaded, not created myself) yesterday, but I can't find them. Does it take some time to upload? I can see them in my profile of Playstation, but not in the game. They are less then 15kb.

Thanks for your help!
Maybe you just looking in a wrong place. You have to go to livery editor then to layers and then to ‘add new decal’
you will find your uploaded decals in there,
from there you can share it and after you share.
you will be able to see them in your gallery

Maybe you just looking in a wrong place. You have to go to livery editor then to layers and then to ‘add new decal’
you will find your uploaded decals in there,
from there you can share it and after you share.
you will be able to see them in your gallery

I was looking at the wrong place indeed. Thanks for your help!

Why is is that when I edit a file in SVGOMG and then download it, I can't upload the decal? Even though it is less than 15KB as indicated in the program?

On SVGOMG make sure "compare gzipped" is unchecked. This will give you the true file size.

Back