User Decals - A Tutorial On How To Make .SVG (Request in separate thread)

• Thread starter daan
  • 1,460 comments
Yea i read the first few posts and none of it made sense

Then yeah, you're going to have a bad time!

Image files and Vector data files are fundamentally different things. The "convertors" that trace image data are highly inefficient things - in other words, they make big files, which the 15kb limit won't allow. So, you either need to learn about SVG, and practice using an application to create them, or get used to having to ask other people to convert them for you.

Sadly, there is no "easy" way of doing it, it's not that hard, but to get good results needs a little knowledge and a bit of skill.

I have no problem asking people but knowing what it takes now I know why people don't get them done so quickly.

Another PD fiasco. Tell people everyone can create their own details, don't provide fine print that you kind of need to be computer savvy in the first place to do it (well).

I have no problem asking people but knowing what it takes now I know why people don't get them done so quickly.

Another PD fiasco. Tell people everyone can create their own details, don't provide fine print that you kind of need to be computer savvy in the first place to do it (well).

It's annoying, but it's not exactly PD's fault.

Well, they did kinda post about the decal uploader requirements in advance.

I can appreciate it's frustrating, though I have to say, good results take time whatever the format.

True. I'm just hoping someone can take the time to do my profile picture on the left. Do you think it can be one file or how will that work?

0080008008190566-c2-photo-oYToxOntzOjU6ImNvbG9yIjtzOjU6IndoaXRlIjt9-supertuxkart.jpg
Here's the file. Have at it :)

Well, the thing is, it DID work in the game - I'm just aggravated that I don't know WHY it does. When I save an optimized SVG in Inkscape, the 'number of significant digits for coordinates' option is set to 6 - is that what you're referring to? Here's the file as it came out of Inkscape, and the same file after SVGOMG. It's the uppermost black line layer of the logo.
Yes, 5 for coordinates digits should be OK.

Where's exactly the problem?
What I see is that you can shave a good amount of nodes, but you need to edit them manually, just lock the layer and add a new one, set the transparency to 50% and use red color for example, draw there the whole thing, that's how I do it, this way you have full control of the nodes.

Yea i read the first few posts and none of it made sense

There is a 'Livery/SVG request thread' in the GTS Livery Editor forum - it's recognized that not everyone has the time to develop specialized skills just for one racing game. I've found myself watching Inkscape tutorials on YouTube to a degree that the waifu finds distressing...:odd:

Yes, 5 for coordinates digits should be OK.

Where's exactly the problem?
What I see is that you can shave a good amount of nodes, but you need to edit them manually, just lock the layer and add a new one, set the transparency to 50% and use red color for example, draw there the whole thing, that's how I do it, this way you have full control of the nodes.

I had it all nice and minimal nodewise, 14.6KB once through SVGOMG, but the thick outline of the upper part of the shield would be shifted down and to the right in-game. Thinking that the problem lay in long segments without enough nodes (as has been the problem in the past) I added more nodes - I increased the number of nodes in 3 stages without success - but this eventually led to 15.3KB file size using precision 1 on SVGOMG. So I set it to precision 0, file size dropped to 7.8KB and it looked...okay, I guess - so I uploaded it and no offset or 'blobbies' this time. I'm just really unsure what it was that fixed the problem, and how I can use my file size more efficiently, turning that remaining 7KB into a more precise image without it wigging out on me.
As it was this is a 5 layer decal in-game:
4611716873624487424_0.jpg
SACtraceOpt.png

Last edited:

Agree, I'm a pretty computer savvy guy but I can't get one to work worth crap. Very frustrating. Guess I will have to rely on others uploads. Should not be so complicated. It's like GT6's track creator. It could have been as simple as drag and drop. I love GT Sport but damn.

Agree, I'm a pretty computer savvy guy but I can't get one to work worth crap. Very frustrating. Guess I will have to rely on others uploads. Should not be so complicated. It's like GT6's track creator. It could have been as simple as drag and drop. I love GT Sport but damn.

It isn't complicated, and it is actually just drag and drop... drag your SVG file to the decal uploader, drop it, and it's done. It would be exactly the same process if it used PNG or JPG.

What you have a problem with is Scaleable vector graphics, as developed by the W3C, and SVG editors, as developed by the likes of Adobe, Corel or the people that made Inkscape.

I agree that loosening the limit of 15kb could make it easier for quite a few people relying on autotrace functions.

Honestly though, I still totally support PD going with SVG... I cannot imagine how bad the oceans of **** low-res JPG based liveries would look in HD or 4K...

It isn't complicated, and it is actually just drag and drop... drag your SVG file to the decal uploader, drop it, and it's done. It would be exactly the same process if it used PNG or JPG.

What you have a problem with is Scaleable vector graphics, as developed by the W3C, and SVG editors, as developed by the likes of Adobe, Corel or the people that made Inkscape.

I agree that loosening the limit of 15kb could make it easier for quite a few people relying on autotrace functions.

Honestly though, I still totally support PD going with SVG... I cannot imagine how bad the oceans of **** low-res JPG based liveries would look in HD or 4K...
I have inkscape, watched a youtube video, cant figure out how to get the file size down. 15k seems pretty small. Obviously it works based on the number of decals that are being uploaded.

I'm quite useless at computer stuff, so I was wondering if someone could help me out...? I've managed to find a few svg files and transfer them, but those that won't transfer because they exceed the 15MB limit, I have no hope of making smaller.

Those files are as follows...

The Stuffed Chook 1.jpg
The Stuffed Chook 2.jpg
The Stuffed Chook 3.jpg
Adelaide Strikers.png
Adelaide-Strikers-team.png
logo-MembershipMainAdelaideStrikers.png

Oh, and if you could lose the background on the "S", things would be easier...

The Stuffed Chook is a chicken shop a mate owns and the Adelaide Strikers are my local cricket team. Other related files to go with them are...

4_Pillow_DETAILED_Logo cropped_lg.png
download.jpg

By the way, what looks like two of the same Stuffed Chook logo, one of them is in two parts.

Upon downloading a decal in decal uploader, it says make sure you're not uploading illegal content... What's considered illegal??

Isn't most logos uploaded to GT-Sport downloaded without the companies consent.
For example: using a Pepsi decal on your car? That considered illegal? I just want to be sure what I download is ok.

(New to the uploading part)

If blur would work, we would make some eye catching decals, but it doesn't work at all.

We are limited to linear gradients to fake blur, even radial gradients doesn't work very well.

Not sure did any one in here mention but you can use iPad to create vectors instead PC, I’m creating my stickers on app called ‘graphic’ and it’s pretty good.

The only advice I would give is to start slow and smal and simple.

I made that psygnosis logo in that app but I started from very easy things about two weeks ago.

0CA6295B-F962-4C0E-92EF-98C596E7C974.png

Not sure did any one in here mention but you can use iPad to create vectors instead PC, I’m creating my stickers on app called ‘graphic’ and it’s pretty good.

I made that psygnosis logo in that app but I started from very easy things about two weeks ago.

View attachment 704115

Wow, a Mouse & Kelly logo - an airbrushed logo in vector after 2 weeks is no small feat in my estimation.

Wow, a Mouse & Kelly logo - an airbrushed logo in vector after 2 weeks is no small feat in my estimation.
It’s not really air brushed, its gradient colour fill.
It could be down to simplicity of this app. Not to many things to learn or even distract you from what you doing, at the moment I’m working on Akuma from street fighter and I got to say it’s my most ambitious project yet.

Last edited:

View attachment 704115

I'm using the desktop version of Graphic on my MacBook Pro. It's not without its faults but for £25 it does most things pretty well and supports illustrator and pdf files as well. Most SVGs it exports are fine, only had issues with size on more complicated designs then I just run it through the optimizer.

I learnt Macromedia Freehand at uni just as it was consumed by Adobe but had a working copy on my old MacBook. Sadly that died last year and The only way to get Freehand to run on a modern Mac is to run a virtual copy of Snow Leopard Server through VMWare which is a hassle.

I don't do enough vector stuff at home to warrant a full illustrator license just yet and Affinity is still refusing to implement proper snapping behaviour on node handles and until they do they won't be getting any of my money.

I'm using the desktop version of Graphic on my MacBook Pro. It's not without its faults but for £25 it does most things pretty well and supports illustrator and pdf files as well. Most SVGs it exports are fine, only had issues with size on more complicated designs then I just run it through the optimizer.

I learnt Macromedia Freehand at uni just as it was consumed by Adobe but had a working copy on my old MacBook. Sadly that died last year and The only way to get Freehand to run on a modern Mac is to run a virtual copy of Snow Leopard Server through VMWare which is a hassle.

I don't do enough vector stuff at home to warrant a full illustrator license just yet and Affinity is still refusing to implement proper snapping behaviour on node handles and until they do they won't be getting any of my money.

Wow you definitely know your stuff. I’m an amateur when it comes to this things and the iPad version of Graphic is about £9 using it on iPad Pro with apple pen those the trick. Not sure is it having optimiser as I wasn’t looking for one.

Upon downloading a decal in decal uploader, it says make sure you're not uploading illegal content... What's considered illegal??

Isn't most logos uploaded to GT-Sport downloaded without the companies consent.
For example: using a Pepsi decal on your car? That considered illegal? I just want to be sure what I download is ok.

(New to the uploading part)
I'm not sure, as long as you aren't using a companies logo to portray them badly, then I doubt any copyright lawyers will have you remove it.

I contacted one of my favorite brands and asked for a sub 15kb svg file to use in the game, they didnt send me a file, but they did send me a big box of product :D

I finally improved one of my decals by layering the different colours, I still had to delete a load of nodes to simplify the base layer.

I found it has the benefit that I can change the decal colour in game which really makes it pop.

It’s not really air brushed, its gradient colour fill.
It could be down to simplicity of this app. Not to many things to learn or even distract you from what you doing, at the moment I’m working on Akuma from street fighter and I got to say it’s my most ambitious project yet.

Sorry, I was referring to the original method used in creating the logo, which may have used an early, early version of a vector graphics program from the 90s, but was likely airbrushed - and not by the team of Stanley Mouse & Alton Kelley, but by Roger Dean. My mistake; shoulda taken a moment to Google it.

Back