User Decals - A Tutorial On How To Make .SVG (Request in separate thread)

• Thread starter daan
  • 1,460 comments
Not gonna lie, I feel like crap now knowing PNGs (for so long, my preferred format because of the transparent quality I get and scalability) is not anywhere near as good as SVG. Even worse though is I'm likely gonna need a plugin (Which hasn't been successful so far) because neither paint.net nor Photoshop natively support SVG (and I can't exactly afford Illustrator) Aaaannnd I've never done tracing something into a SVG logo (Which I'm not confident in given I have the world's unsteadiest hand) so I might be screwed when it comes to making anything I exactly want using anything I upload from my computer.
You can get the trial though, and you can make a lot of decals in seven days. Also, it’s not that expensive for one month at a time. Pay for one month and you should be good. :)

Or - we can make a Request A Decal thread, for everyone not able to make their own.
- I take requests anyway. :)
Just an aside. There is a website ( http://logos.wikia.com/wiki/Logopedia ) where there are loads of .svg files for hundreds of companies throughout the world!! Most, maybe everyone on here knows about this??
Updating OP, thanks!

Question.

Do physical size matter for file size?
I mean does a 60 x 60 pixel svg file weighs the same as a 3000 x 3000 pixel one?

Question.

Do physical size matter for file size?
I mean does a 60 x 60 pixel svg file weighs the same as a 3000 x 3000 pixel one?
Afaik svg’s doesn’t have that kind of size since it is «infinately scaleable». So that wouldn’t matter at all.

http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gtsport/news/00_1137318.html

"Regarding the Release of the [Decal Uploader] Feature"

On the official Gran Turismo website (gran-turismo.com), we are planning to provide online features linked to Gran Turismo Sport. These online features include ‘My Profile’, ‘Activity Feed’ and ‘Discover’, as well as ‘Decal Uploader’, which allows you to upload decals made by users to be used within Gran Turismo Sport ‘Livery Editor’.

In order to maintain a good gaming experience by alleviating extreme server loads immediately after the start of the service, we are planning to release these online features gradually.

We will notify users about the start of service for the additional online features in-game and on the news section of gran-turismo.com.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused and appreciate your patience until we release those features.

BOOOOOO!

On the official Gran Turismo website (gran-turismo.com), we are planning to provide online features linked to Gran Turismo Sport. These online features include ‘My Profile’, ‘Activity Feed’ and ‘Discover’, as well as ‘Decal Uploader’, which allows you to upload decals made by users to be used within Gran Turismo Sport ‘Livery Editor’.

In order to maintain a good gaming experience by alleviating extreme server loads immediately after the start of the service, we are planning to release these online features gradually.

We will notify users about the start of service for the additional online features in-game and on the news section of gran-turismo.com.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused and appreciate your patience until we release those features.

I wouldn’t say this is the right thread for this, it’s more right to post it in the general livery editor thread(s). But this is worrying. I want this day 1. Thought they’d sort their servers by now..

I think it's worth noting that, in making your decals, you won't be able to upload them pending further announcement from PD.

Quick question

On Illustrator what's the settings for creating SVG. to meet within the specifications?

Do I need to increase or decrese the decimal or anything like that?

Last edited:
To draw vectors based on png or jpg image files I recommend the Vector Magic tool that has provided me with superior results to Illustrator's Live Trace and is also much easier to use.

There is a web and desktop version including a trial period.

I do not put the link in case it is considered spam but it is easy to search in google. Give it a try if you do not have much experience in drawing vectors.

To draw vectors based on png or jpg image files I recommend the Vector Magic tool that has provided me with superior results to Illustrator's Live Trace and is also much easier to use.

There is a web and desktop version including a trial period.

I do not put the link in case it is considered spam but it is easy to search in google. Give it a try if you do not have much experience in drawing vectors.

Thanks what I meant was what settings would I need to put in illustrator when exporting an .SVG file sorry.

Thanks what I meant was what settings would I need to put in illustrator when exporting an .SVG file sorry.
Decimals range from 1 to 7. Minor values are less precise but take up less space.
You will also need to convert the text to outline.
You should not leave any image in raster so the functions of embedding or linking are not going to be used.
As it is not yet available I do not know if the web application will read the files in tiny profiles, to be cautious leave it as svg 1.1.

Decimals range from 1 to 7. Minor values are less precise but take up less space.
You will also need to convert the text to outline.
You should not leave any image in raster so the functions of embedding or linking are not going to be used.
As it is not yet available I do not know if the web application will read the files in tiny profiles, to be cautious leave it as svg 1.1.
Ok thanks. :)

How do we get the .svg files actually in the livery editor? Because I put the .svg on my stick but it doesn't seem to work.

The feature is not live yet and you have to upload them through the GT.com website.

Last edited:
As far as I understand, we'll be able to upload logo-like shapes, mostly monochromatic ones. Is this correct?
What about multiple uploaded SVGs on the same livery, any news on that?

full color as well as long as they’re within the filesize limit, and why not? there is an entire decal section in game dedicated to the SVGs like any other shape, only depends on the storage capacity we’re given and the size of your files.

@Hereward71 Do you know which preset I need to make the best convert from png to svg ? I don't understand the Treshold-idea.. Do i need to increase the numbers for better quality or decrease it ?

What about the Terms of Use like at WorldVectorLogo ? https://worldvectorlogo.com/terms-of-use

---------------------------
Quote ;
Terms of use
The content of this site is intended for inspiration to create new logos. The logo designs are protected and may not be distributed modified or copied.

By using this site and downloading the vector, you acknowledged have read and agreed to both our disclaimer and privacy policy. We reserve the right to amend these terms from time to time.

Domestic and International copyright and trademark laws protect the entire contents of the Site. YOU MAY NOT MODIFY, COPY, REPRODUCE, REPUBLISH, UPLOAD, POST, TRANSMIT, OR DISTRIBUTE, IN ANY MANNER, THE MATERIAL ON THE SITE, INCLUDING TEXT, GRAPHICS, CODE AND/OR SOFTWARE.
-------------------------

Is it legal to use their logo's or not? Like somewhere else said, these logo's on this site and other 'community' based sites where users are uploading logo's to the database, aren't official either, but do they've the rights indeed to take action against 'us' and me because we used their data ?

@Hereward71 Do you know which preset I need to make the best convert from png to svg ? I don't understand the Treshold-idea.. Do i need to increase the numbers for better quality or decrease it ?

I'm afraid until more details or the game opens the service I don't know what file size restrictions there will be on the svg files, that will dictate what size and quality will work best. I did a few tests with some large 6mb full colour photos on standard settings (no alteration to the settings in Inkscape) and the results were pretty much identical to the original, to the naked eye at least.

I'm afraid until more details or the game opens the service I don't know what file size restrictions there will be on the svg files, that will dictate what size and quality will work best. I did a few tests with some large 6mb full colour photos on standard settings (no alteration to the settings in Inkscape) and the results were pretty much identical to the original, to the naked eye at least.

Yeah, but that's the problem also.. When I convert a logo, it's about 400kb in filesize and everything but accurate compared to the original. I think it would be better to draw the vector of the logo and make as less points/curves as possible ?
The logo I want to convert into svg ;

eurol.png

I know that's a lot of colours, but there are multicolor decals in GT too, so it isn't impossible to make it 15kb-ish. The white out side the blue lines is trash.. white inside the logo should stay.

Just ripped your logo into inkscape and converted it the file is only 4kb and the svg is 8kb (it's obviously compressed loads when posted here) but I used the filters tab to clean edges, under blur option, you would also use the fill and transparency to get rid of the white areas.....and a large chunk of the file size. have a play with the original physical dimension of the image you upload, try 1080 as a starting point or 2048. But again until we know the file size limit allowed by GTS then it's a little problematic.

17098-eurol-logo-R5-Rally-Challenge-860x427.jpg

OK so I pulled this from google, enlarged it to 1080 resolution then stuck it in inkscape, converted it without any editing to svg which gave me a 281kb file size and then checked it in a web browser for scaling....it scaled fine with no pixilation. this is a jpeg image so you can see the jpeg artifacts in the red on the original. the original file is 207kb

Just ripped your logo into inkscape and converted it the file is only 4kb and the svg is 8kb (it's obviously compressed loads when posted here) but I used the filters tab to clean edges, under blur option, you would also use the fill and transparency to get rid of the white areas.....and a large chunk of the file size. have a play with the original physical dimension of the image you upload, try 1080 as a starting point or 2048. But again until we know the file size limit allowed by GTS then it's a little problematic.

Can you send me that svg file ? I want to make Tom Coronels livery on the new NSX as soon as we can upload our decals. ..

2016_wtcc_doha_qatar_1244.jpg

Thanks anyway 👍:P

I hope they announce when they plan to introduce the svg upload because I don't feel like wasting more time trying to recreate logos manually right now, hope it's soon so I can finish the liveries I have planned :P

Polyphony, pls!

Right on @syntex123 Thanks for the heads up, I wasn't sure if I'd be able to create things on my own, now I can. Thanks!

Jerome

Right on @syntex123 Thanks for the heads up, I wasn't sure if I'd be able to create things on my own, now I can. Thanks!

Jerome
You’re most welcome. I’m not a pro in Illustrator but found this method timesaving and simple. Any chance we could make this thread a sticky? Should be useful for most average Joes out there. :) Before I wrote before your post, this thread was pushed back to page 2.. it belongs pinned on top in my opinion.

Back