User Decals - A Tutorial On How To Make .SVG (Request in separate thread)

• Thread starter daan
  • 1,462 comments
You’re most welcome. I’m not a pro in Illustrator but found this method timesaving and simple. Any chance we could make this thread a sticky? Should be useful for most average Joes out there. :) Before I wrote before your post, this thread was pushed back to page 2.. it belongs pinned on top in my opinion.

Can you make a similar tutorial for Inkspace (which is free)?

I don't have Mod powers anymore, but the thread will need more traction (posts, praises, etc) before it can be considered a sticky. Plus we'll need to have the personal uploading via gran-turismo.com work first. And come to think of it, a tutorial for that as well would add weight to the thread getting stickied 👍

Jerome

Can you make a similar tutorial for Inkspace (which is free)?

I don't have Mod powers anymore, but the thread will need more traction (posts, praises, etc) before it can be considered a sticky. Plus we'll need to have the personal uploading via gran-turismo.com work first. And come to think of it, a tutorial for that as well would add weight to the thread getting stickied 👍

Jerome
Will do, I’ll see if I can wrap my head around it later today.

Oh! Okay. But yeah sure I get that. Crossing fingers then! And yep, writing up a tutorial on how to upload too, once the uploader is live. :)

Thanks for the tips and stuff :cheers:👍

This might not be the correct thread to ask but is it possible to create or convert images to .svg files on an android tablet (or iphone 7plus) ?.

This might not be the correct thread to ask but is it possible to create or convert images to .svg files on an android tablet (or iphone 7plus) ?.

I know Adobe Capture works. Try that. :)

Thanks for the reply ive down loaded it and will play arround with it hope it gives me what i need.
Worked like a charm for me, makes perfect SVGs of my drawings as well.

but how I can download from the app to my documents, because picture is saved in the cloud from adobe, If I downloaded from there its is a ypg and not a svg.... any idea?

but how I can download from the app to my documents, because picture is saved in the cloud from adobe, If I downloaded from there its is a ypg and not a svg.... any idea?
Open it in Illustrator and follow the tutorial in OP :) it should as you say be in the cloud when you open Illustrator, so no need to save it / export it first.

Hi guys!

Sorry if I ask a dumb question, but I have to!

I see many people are working on custom liveries, but I thought decal uploader is not up yet, or is it?

Hi guys!

I see many people are working on custom liveries, but I thought decal uploader is not up yet, or is it?

As of the last time I checked late afternoon on Monday 10/30/17 it was still not active, have not checked today though.

Hi guys!

I too have seen some and I believe they are all Japanese gamers. So it might be unlocked in the Japanese servers.

Hi guys!

I too have seen some and I believe they are all Japanese gamers. So it might be unlocked in the Japanese servers.
It’s not up, doubt it’s up for the Japanese either. They’re just skilled in making things with basic shapes, haven’t you all seen Forza Speed-Art videos? Some of those creations are unreal. It’s incredible what you can do with the right set of shapes. Sure, it takes longer in GT and you have a smaller layer limit, but it’s not impossible.

It’s not up, doubt it’s up for the Japanese either. They’re just skilled in making things with basic shapes, haven’t you all seen Forza Speed-Art videos? Some of those creations are unreal. It’s incredible what you can do with the right set of shapes. Sure, it takes longer in GT and you have a smaller layer limit, but it’s not impossible.

The only reason I said that it is possibly open in Japan is because the pictures of anime characters on their cars seemed too exact to be used in the editor tool. Even with basic shapes. But that doesn't mean they don't use the basic shapes. I just don't see how they were able to make the characters the way they did unless they uploaded it. But I guess I am also not that talented or creative either lol

The only reason I said that it is possibly open in Japan is because the pictures of anime characters on their cars seemed too exact to be used in the editor tool. Even with basic shapes. But that doesn't mean they don't use the basic shapes. I just don't see how they were able to make the characters the way they did unless they uploaded it. But I guess I am also not that talented or creative either lol
Yeah I get you, but remember Asians are highly skilled ^^ I’m not that talented or creative either, nor do I have the patience. :lol: Hat off for those who spend hours of hours on those designs :D

Yeah I get you, but remember Asians are highly skilled ^^ I’m not that talented or creative either, nor do I have the patience. :lol: Hat off for those who spend hours of hours on those designs :D

After seeing that video you posted of that guy using the forza livery editor I am embarrassed to even use the livery editor. lmao :D

In this example, an Alfa 4C is painted in elf Tyrrell livery. Since the old 'elf' logo can't be uploaded yet (hopefully this is part of the upcoming maintenance) it is made out of several geometric shapes. It's a simple logo but still takes time cropping circles, pie shapes, etc. Also, it overlaps in game defined body parts "front" and "hood". There is lining up to do when overlapping body sections. The barely visible elf logo on the hood is cropped so that it more closely resembles the older style geometric logo without the word "elf". The original in game logo is used on the side of the car as it fits the space nicely where the team used "elf Tyrrell" originally.

BTW: the logo is a tiny 4k download; much easier and accurate than an hour clipping, copying and pasting shapes.

20171102071622.jpg

+1 for Inkscape on creating SVGs. Once you learn the basic tools it's pretty powerful and easy. There are tutorials on using it all over YouTube on how to either copy graphics or create your own logos and such from scratch. I learned a lot from watching Nick Saporito's channel.

I have now! OMG if I get caught into that my social life ends :lol:

Eh... 15kb seems WAY too restrictive here. The SVG files I just autotraced in Inkscape of my Lux Klonoa pic here are 500kb and 800kb respectively, and I don't see a way of reducing them to 15kb.

Needs to be at least 1mb if we want to put character decals on our cars here, really.

(Guys can you help me, i can not find where to upload the logo i've made in order to get it in GT Sport...)

Sorry, just read the whole conversation it is not out yet

Last edited:
Eh... 15kb seems WAY too restrictive here. The SVG files I just autotraced in Inkscape of my Lux Klonoa pic here are 500kb and 800kb respectively, and I don't see a way of reducing them to 15kb.

Needs to be at least 1mb if we want to put character decals on our cars here, really.
Like someone said earlier. Make it in portions and layers. One color at a time, and a small portion of it. If one character decal ends up being five decals stacked on top of eachother, so be it. Also, why make complex decals in svg form? Sure, I understand some complexity. But characters in high detail might be too much.

Like someone said earlier. Make it in portions and layers. One color at a time, and a small portion of it. If one character decal ends up being five decals stacked on top of eachother, so be it. Also, why make complex decals in svg form? Sure, I understand some complexity. But characters in high detail might be too much.
So, do it like Forza, then.

Guess I'll just have to find someone to do it for me, then. 'Cause I have no experience in that area.

Guess I'll just have to find someone to do it for me, then. 'Cause I have no experience in that area.
Not really no - I’ll explain. Take the Monster logo as an example. Make an SVG out of each separate color, then when you import those layers into GTSport you stack them, one by one on top of eachother. Instead of making that logo multicolor you end up with smaller files with only one color. Well within the 15kb limit. :)

Not really no - I’ll explain. Take the Monster logo as an example. Make an SVG out of each separate color, then when you import those layers into GTSport you stack them, one by one on top of eachother. Instead of making that logo multicolor you end up with smaller files with only one color. Well within the 15kb limit. :)

Simple tutorial explaining how to do it.

What pic are you trying to use?

edit:

So I was bored... thought I'd investigate this.

I got this far manually redrawing you avatar character... I know it's not perfect... and it's obviously VERY unfinished... but alot of what's there can be tweaked without increasing file size (tweaking existing nodes doesn't add bytes)

This is 13.6kb, and there's probably some optimization I could do.

thing.png

I think to finish the face and include the body can be done for less than 30kb... the sensible way to split it would be head in one file, body in the other... splitting by colour doesn't make much sense to me unless you have ALOT of colours, I think it's easier to split something into sections - easier to line-up. I think I could get both under 15kb each.

Last edited:
Simple tutorial explaining how to do it.

Ah, okay. I could give that a shot.

Or I could just rely on this guy below, instead.

edit:

I got this far manually redrawing you avatar character... I know it's not perfect... and it's obviously VERY unfinished... but alot of what's there can be tweaked without increasing file size (tweaking existing nodes doesn't add bytes)

View attachment 687624

I think to finish the face and include the body can be done for less than 30kb... the sensible way to split it would be head in one file, body in the other... splitting by colour doesn't make much sense to me unless you have ALOT of colours, I think it's easier to split something into sections - easier to line-up. I think I could get both under 15kb each.

I saw your post earlier before you edited, but did not respond 'cause I was on my PS4. So sorry about that.

My avatar here is not the full version of it, btw. This is what you're looking for and what I tried to do in Inkscape: https://lux-klonoa.deviantart.com/art/deviantID-The-Dreamer-of-Light-Lux-Klonoa-707594759

Give that a shot if you want, btw. I'm usually a guy who goes around requesting or commissioning art stuff, anyway, so it'd be appreciated if you can do this for me. =)

edit:

View attachment 687624

Awesome ! How long does it take ?

My avatar here is not the full version of it, btw. This is what you're looking for and what I tried to do in Inkscape: https://lux-klonoa.deviantart.com/art/deviantID-The-Dreamer-of-Light-Lux-Klonoa-707594759

Give that a shot if you want, btw. I'm usually a guy who goes around requesting or commissioning art stuff, anyway, so it'd be appreciated if you can do this for me. =)

Obviously there's more to that! In all fairness that might be harder to get down to the 30kb I mentioned. I might give it a go, but stuff like that might be easier once we know how compliant with SVG standards the importer is.

Awesome ! How long does it take ?

Well, I was doing other things, but I'd say about an hour to get as far as I did.

Back