User Decals - A Tutorial On How To Make .SVG (Request in separate thread)

• Thread starter daan
  • 1,460 comments
p78
Hi,

this might be an odd question.
Is it known how big a node is, say in inkscape.

So for instance my current image is at 18kb. then if i/we knew the size of a node then it would just be deleting x more nodes, and i get to 15kb.

Or isn't it that simple.

Broadly it is that simple, though there are other factors. In terms of nodes it depends on your accuracy. Each character in the SVG file is 1 byte so at the very very least it's going to be 3 bytes...

SVG's can be opened as text files in notepad, or similar;

upload_2020-1-24_13-52-34.png

In the above example something like -0.247214,-1.48906 represents one node and is 18 characters, so that's 18 bytes. Nodes on curves may also contain an extra character.

If you have 1000 nodes, each at 18 bytes, lets say you end up with an 18kb file (broadly speaking). You could then delete ~160 nodes to get it to the right size, or if you reduced the accuracy of each node, by 1 decimal place, you'd be down to 16kb, then you'd only have to delete ~50-60 nodes. In practice the accuracy of the above example is way more than is needed.

The point is file size equates mostly to Number of nodes × number of numbers in the node. You have to allow for other stuff (fill data etc.) so it's not exactly that straight forward, but it's close enough.

Hope that helps.

p78
Hi,

this might be an odd question.
Is it known how big a node is, say in inkscape.

So for instance my current image is at 18kb. then if i/we knew the size of a node then it would just be deleting x more nodes, and i get to 15kb.

Or isn't it that simple.
Unfortunately it’s not that simple.

The same shape can have various size, depending on many factors.

For example a 1:1 square can use very different writings and size.

If you draw it in Inkscape then save it with the base settings, it’ll weight 2011 octets.

Same square but saved as « optimized SVG » will weight 260 octets.

A « perfect » typed version in the notepad will use 95 octets, and a perfect path in the notepad will lead to 86 octets.

All of these will appear in the game as a black square with 4 nodes, but size goes from 1 to 24.

Could you please make this for us please. I have inkscape but it must be a earlier version and don't have the commands that is shown in this thread and still trying to learn how to use it, and still trying to get it down to 15kb but cant get it. No white back ground please Cheers

Attachments

• peak1.jpg
    peak1.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 11
Could you please make this for us please. I have inkscape but it must be a earlier version and don't have the commands that is shown in this thread and still trying to learn how to use it, and still trying to get it down to 15kb but cant get it. No white back ground please Cheers

Please check if this is fine for you.

You can also check the SVG request thread if you need something ;)

Attachments

• image2vector (66) (1).svg
    12.6 KB · Views: 18
Hi

I'm here with another question.
In the picture you can see i marked the zone i need help with.
I've manually traced 90% of that image, but i cannot seem to get those blobs, spots right.

what is my best option to continue?

Attachments

• example tigera.png
    example tigera.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 21
ineos-logo-no-strap.png

I've uploaded this.
It appears on the desktop GT but when I go into the PS4 decal editor to actually put it on the car the image is blank.

It's okay, I've got it.

Last edited:
Sorry if these question seem a little nuts. I getten old and it takes me a litter more to understand this. Could you try explaining the number #1 rule as if I'm a 1st grader. Are pretty sure this is where my problem is. I'm doing something in the saving process that I sould be doing. Anyway this is how I save a design. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I greatly appreciate it.

garystevens64

Hi Guys,

I've recently downloaded Inkscape (I used to use CorelDraw, but the version I had no longer works in Win10) and so far I've been getting on with it quite well, but I'm trying to recreate a pattern and running into some difficulties.

The artwork is fine, and running it through SVGOMG etc I get all the right previews, but when I upload it to GTS, it just loads up as a solid block of colour. On the GTS website however, it previews absolutely normally.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Hi Guys,

I've recently downloaded Inkscape (I used to use CorelDraw, but the version I had no longer works in Win10) and so far I've been getting on with it quite well, but I'm trying to recreate a pattern and running into some difficulties.

The artwork is fine, and running it through SVGOMG etc I get all the right previews, but when I upload it to GTS, it just loads up as a solid block of colour. On the GTS website however, it previews absolutely normally.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Are there gradients or « pattern » function in your decal?

Which version of SVGOMG are you using? Because the previous « jakearchibald » one is broken. You should use this one :
xerocho.github.io/svgomg

I bet you’re working on this one?
6ED39526-B61C-4073-8550-EE5D7620D08C.png

Sorry if this question has already been asked and answered but.....
Ive been playing around with inkscape and created a simple box with a fill, that file is 3kb, I have downloaded SVG's from the web far more complex and they are only 4 to 6kb. Can someone please explain how this is done.
Also
Im trying to create an SVG of the attached image and cant get it below the 15kb limit, is it possible?

thanks in advance

Attachments

• Cap badge_1.jpg
    Cap badge_1.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 17
Sorry if this question has already been asked and answered but.....
Ive been playing around with inkscape and created a simple box with a fill, that file is 3kb, I have downloaded SVG's from the web far more complex and they are only 4 to 6kb. Can someone please explain how this is done.
Also
Im trying to create an SVG of the attached image and cant get it below the 15kb limit, is it possible?

thanks in advance
Inkscape default saves have allot of padding in what is essentially a text file. You can use the "save as" and select "optimized" to get a smaller file. Alternately run your file through THIS SITE to get very small file size. A picture like you have will not convert easily into a svg file. Look for picture versions with very defined edges. Maybe like this.
Regiment.png

Even this would really need to be hand traced to get under 15kb. Many crowns are already available in game if you could manage the rest. Otherwise I could probably make the above if that would be an acceptable alternative for you.

Just scraped it in with 14.9 kb. Used a crown I already had, not 100% match but close and changed color to suit.
That is excellent. Thank you so much.

Also as a point of interest for myself, which software do you use?

Last edited by a moderator:
Like many of us, @Maninashed uses Inkscape.
I recently downloaded Inkscape version 0.92.5 but it does not have the "save as" "optimized" option so I reverted back to 0.92.4. Hopefully version 1.0 will have a compatible save mode for GTSPORT.
Edit: I must of moved my scroll wheel at installation options. It therefore did not do a full install, which still has the save as optimized option.

Last edited:
Can someone please explain how to put decals on the bonnet (hood) of the aventador? There is no option to place them there, I've tried front, roof and other but I just get the flashing decal. Am I missing something?

Guys, I need some guidance in replacing colors. Let's assume I find an awesome wrap decal on the GTS discover thingy, BUT it is on the wrong colors.

I can copy it from the site as a PNG file, but how would I edit it to change its colors on Inkscape, for instance? I keep trying to stumble upon the correct way of doing this and I keep making a mess.

Guys, I need some guidance in replacing colors. Let's assume I find an awesome wrap decal on the GTS discover thingy, BUT it is on the wrong colors.

I can copy it from the site as a PNG file, but how would I edit it to change its colors on Inkscape, for instance? I keep trying to stumble upon the correct way of doing this and I keep making a mess.
Unfortunately there is no quick way if you are not starting with a .svg file. It needs to be scanned from the .png into paths again. You could try the method in this video. Depending on how complex the wrap is you may run into file size issues. Reduce file using this SITE. If it still does not go below 15kb it would probably need to be hand traced .

Can someone please explain how to put decals on the bonnet (hood) of the aventador? There is no option to place them there, I've tried front, roof and other but I just get the flashing decal. Am I missing something?
Left hand side, there is a bonnet tab. Second in the list.

Unfortunately there is no quick way if you are not starting with a .svg file. It needs to be scanned from the .png into paths again. You could try the method in this video. Depending on how complex the wrap is you may run into file size issues. Reduce file using this SITE. If it still does not go below 15kb it would probably need to be hand traced .

Thanks man, that video gave me some ideas on how to do it. Thankfully, most of the decals I want to change colors are not that complex.

Back