Using headphones while racing

England
St helens, merseyside, England.
crazybuttocks198
Crazybuttocks19
I have started using my headphones for audio instead of the TV. I also feel that this has improved my racing as well. Being able to hear engine sounds, other cars sounds and my background music all at the same time (as well as voice chat if in a party). Does anyone else play this way?

Note to those want to play through headphones:

• Put headset into audio jack on DS4
  • Go to settings (in PS4 menu)
  • Devices
  • Audio device
  • Change output device to headphones connected to controller.

Headphones connected directly to the TV. That way no matter if I'm using the controller or wheel or another console, I don't have to switch wires. In fact I've never heard a single game without headphones this gen.

Headphones connected directly to the TV. That way no matter if I'm using the controller or wheel or another console, I don't have to switch wires. In fact I've never heard a single game without headphones this gen.
Same but connected to a receiver that has large speakers and a subwoofer for when not using headphones.

I purchased a set of HyperX headphones before GTS came out thinking I was going to use them in game. Seeing as how Sport Mode doesn't have headphone support (good thing), they have mostly been used to listen to music while on PC. My surround sound system works really well with providing immersion. Also if you want to really improve your racing, ditch the background music. I prefer listening to the sounds of my car for audio cues as to what the car is doing, i.e. losing traction, over revving, etc.

I got 2 sets of these a couple of years ago.. his and hers but she never uses them :P now I charge one set whilst using the other etc.. can't go back tbh headphones make the experience so much better 👍

pc-and-video-games-accessories-ps4-official-sony-playstation-gold-wireless-stereo-headset-black-5.jpg

And I race with the background music playing when running TT hotlaps only... for a race it would be off also :cheers:

I have started using my headphones for audio instead of the TV. I also feel that this has improved my racing as well. Being able to hear engine sounds, other cars sounds and my background music all at the same time (as well as voice chat if in a party). Does anyone else play this way?

Note to those want to play through headphones:

• Put headset into audio jack on DS4
  • Go to settings (in PS4 menu)
  • Devices
  • Audio device
  • Change output device to headphones connected to controller.
I don't plug mine into the controller. I have a turtle beach 7.1 processor ( might be 5.1 I can't remember) and plug my headphones into that. Sounds much better. Only cost me 7 quid on Amazon.
I got 2 sets of these a couple of years ago.. his and hers but she never uses them :P now I charge one set whilst using the other etc.. can't go back tbh headphones make the experience so much better 👍

pc-and-video-games-accessories-ps4-official-sony-playstation-gold-wireless-stereo-headset-black-5.jpg

And I race with the background music playing when running TT hotlaps only... for a race it would be off also :cheers:
I have these too. I only use them for chat lobbies though as its hard to go from my other headphones to these as I don't think too much of them. I expected much better audio for the 70 pounds they cost.

Mines don't look like the pic anymore... the headband on both are taped up with black tape as I sat on both pairs at separate times :P The sound is ok for me though and wont go too high cost wise for headphones.. wireless and chargeable in the £70 range is more than enough for this old miser :D

I just us my everyday £25 sony headphones. Does the job very well. Works good for chat as well. Even use them going to work, on site, going home, then in Playstation. Back of tv for Xbox because Xbox uis a pain in the arse.

Screenshot_20180609-222038.png

Sheesh Ron, at your advanced age I don't know how you can focus on driving with that darned rock-n-roll blaring in your ears. Translation: I can't set fast laps any more with music going because I am almost the same age as you, so you suck :cheers:.

Miss racing you and the KOR crew a lot. Good times in GT5P.👍👍👍👍

I like when I go to get another beer with them still on and don't realize it until the cable pulls tight.

If the cord from my Cloud II's didn't detach from the little usb connector, I would have destroyed mine 20 times in 2 months. Gotta move the fridge closer to the rig :cheers:

Sheesh Ron, at your advanced age I don't know how you can focus on driving with that darned rock-n-roll blaring in your ears. Translation: I can't set fast laps any more with music going because I am almost the same age as you, so you suck :cheers:.

Miss racing you and the KOR crew a lot. Good times in GT5P.👍👍👍👍

I got a zit on my nose the other day.. I must be one of those people who will live to 150 haha :P I'm just going through puberty by the looks of my nose :D

Miss them days too mate 👍

I have 2 tvs in the living room, one oldie for GTS, other nice 4K one my wife watches TV on and I'm watching along on the straights. Sound is so low I can't hear the engine noise most of the time. Usually my kids are fighting around me too. Racing with maximum distraction, builds character!

Looking to get a head of playstation headphones soon, but I'm not sure how it will work out as I use a fanatec wheel and there is no headphone jack on the wheel base. Anyone using bluetooth headphones with a wheel? How is it working out for you guys?

I had those! In fact i still got them but the plastic ring broke & i have to find some way to put it back together cause the sound quality of those thing is unmatched for that price! Really cheap plastic though & easy to brake!

I had those! In fact i still got them but the plastic ring broke & i have to find some way to put it back together cause the sound quality of those thing is unmatched for that price! Really cheap plastic though & easy to brake!
Double post :( my bad, i thought i pressed edit!

I never realised how crap my TV's sound was until I plugged a headset in. No positional audio at all on it. Switched to a cheap (£10) headset and I could hear where everyone was, clues from tires earlier and hearing the revs better when I'm not using full throttle. If I can get that effect from crap (still better than TV) headphones, I'm in the market for a better headset...

Has anyone here got the Sony Platinum headset? I've been reading about the 3D Audio it comes with and wondering if GTS has it. It's supposed to come with profiles for specific games but my google fu's failed at finding an answer.

I’ve recently purchased the new PlayStation gold headset, very pleased with it. Has 7.1 surround and fair bit cheaper than the platinum ones. Battery life isn’t great at about 5-6 hours but the sound is good and very clear. They get great review as well.

I have the same pair and really like them. It's definitely a better experience with them on compared to coming through my surround sound.

I use G430s
https://www.logitechg.com/en-us/product/g430-7-1-surround-sound-gaming-headset

They're pretty good. Just not loud enough for me. I was thinking about trying to increase the volume by maybe trying a battery powered in-line amplifier. Any audiophiles do this or know about it?

The mic is amazing though, really well done there. What's nice about it is that it connects via a USB dongle adapter. The headset has two separate 3.5mm plug ends that plug into the adapter. So I like being able to use the regular 3.5mm plug on my phone and other audio devices sometimes.

If you have a TV that's farther away than the headset cable can reach, you can buy this adapter here to plug in to you PS4 controller so you can use the mic and get sound at the same time. Otherwise you can just plug the green audio cable into your PS4 without any adapter and be good, if you just want the sound only.

You can usually find a good deal for it around $30 when it's on sale but it's regularly $40 which isn't bad at all for this versatile headset. Also works great on PC with surround sound support.

One weird thing I do, I dunno maybe other people do it too, is use the earbud headphones for my phone underneath these at the same time. That way I can listen to podcasts or music through my phone and adjust volume independently. The cups being so large helps with that.

I use headphones all the time. Grado SR80e are open back so they don't isolate as well as a closed back but the soundstage is huge making it very easy to tell where other cars are without looking plus I can still hear my partner if she needs my attention. Audio Technica ATH-M50X are closed back design which isolate incredibly well and give a much tighter bass hit. They're so isolating you'll miss anything short of an explosion going off around you. Buy quality headphones. They'll make a huge difference in your music listening pleasure as well as your game immersion.

Sark

Latest Posts

Back