Using headphones while racing

Makes you hear sounds with more clarity. Say like the bumps making a thud on Tokyo east.

Biggest problem you will find is that the soundcard within the PS4 does not have ample power to properly drive most decent headphones. Run the phones through an external amp or receiver that has the power to drive them you will see a difference.

Bass is where the power is needed, takes very little to drive the treble.

What are you on about? Think my £25 headphones do the job pretty well through the DS4 pad.

What are you on about? Think my £25 headphones do the job pretty well through the DS4 pad.

The ohm resistance of the drivers in the headphones have a lot to do with the amount of power required to properly drive the phones to a decent volume level.

What one person considers quality sound and decent bass response versus what another considers quality sound can vary greatly. Many people prefer a sound signature that jacks the bass levels way up actually above realistic levels, I am not one of those people.

In British currency the Sennheiser HD700 headphones I usually use when listening through phones can be found on sale for around £439.

These are actually pretty easy to drive phones at only 150 ohms impedance.

I have my PS4 running to the tv with hdmi through a Yamaha Advantage RX-A2030 receiver. 99% of the time I run the game through the 7.2 system which also incorporates 2 Outlaw powered subs.

Being single and not living in an apartment does have some advantages when it comes to gaming and using soundsystems.

When I am listening through the phones though I have the optical out from the PS4 feeding through a 4 by 1 optical switcher to a dedicated Schiit pre amp and Valhalla 2 headphone amp direct.

I also have a pair of the Sound Blaster Pro Gaming Blaster X phones which I use on games that I need a microphone and and plugging them into the PS4 with USB I find they are borderline on volume foe what I prefer as well. They are only 32 ohm impedance phones so very easy to drive but although they work and sound okay the need a bit more power than the PS4 provides to really reach that "live" sounding threshold .

Of course this is all just based on personal opinion and preferences.

This guy who spends $439 pound sterling on headphones is obviously in another league to someone who spends $25 on generic headphones.

I'm in two minds... I appreciate high fidelity sound... I have Meridian type gear but in the end, this is a game, with synthesised sounds.

The setup you use to listen to vinyl doesnt have to be the same gear you hook up to a PS4.

I've used cheapo throwaway $10 ear buds out of a Dell monitor and for synthetic pew pew zoom zoom games, its fine.

The ohm resistance of the drivers in the headphones have a lot to do with the amount of power required to properly drive the phones to a decent volume level.

What one person considers quality sound and decent bass response versus what another considers quality sound can vary greatly. Many people prefer a sound signature that jacks the bass levels way up actually above realistic levels, I am not one of those people.

In British currency the Sennheiser HD700 headphones I usually use when listening through phones can be found on sale for around £439.

These are actually pretty easy to drive phones at only 150 ohms impedance.

I have my PS4 running to the tv with hdmi through a Yamaha Advantage RX-A2030 receiver. 99% of the time I run the game through the 7.2 system which also incorporates 2 Outlaw powered subs.

Being single and not living in an apartment does have some advantages when it comes to gaming and using soundsystems.

When I am listening through the phones though I have the optical out from the PS4 feeding through a 4 by 1 optical switcher to a dedicated Schiit pre amp and Valhalla 2 headphone amp direct.

I also have a pair of the Sound Blaster Pro Gaming Blaster X phones which I use on games that I need a microphone and and plugging them into the PS4 with USB I find they are borderline on volume foe what I prefer as well. They are only 32 ohm impedance phones so very easy to drive but although they work and sound okay the need a bit more power than the PS4 provides to really reach that "live" sounding threshold .

Of course this is all just based on personal opinion and preferences.

You make a real good point there. Does seem like a whole lot of money spent on something that cost less than my PS4 and GTS (and on a seperate note my 4k bravia tv). Not really in the bones of it all with sound and all that. Was a good read though, reading you post, even if I didn't fully understand it all:).

Last edited:
I use a pair of Marshall major II headphones, grunty enough for what I need. Good enough to hear the gravel pinging under the car

You make a real good point there. Does seem like a whole lot of money spent on something that cost less than my PS4 and GTS
[QUOTE="Tony

The point was not the amount of money spent but the difference in what one may consider quality or good sound and that in many cases it may require an external power source as the PS4 is very limited in what phones and the actual volume the user may personally prefer to be able to achieve.

I did not buy either my 7.2 sound system or my main headphone setup for use strictly or really even primarily for use with the PS4.

But since I do already own them they both excel at bringing games to life on the PS4 so I do utilize them.

The Hyper X Pro phones were bought actually for PS4 use when I needed a microphone for use within a game. Those are actual phones designed for gaming use and I do find that the PS4 lacks the power needed to power them to a level that makes them sound alive.

I only find myself using those when I need the microphone though as the HD700's are just so comfortable to wear compared to any other phones I have ever owned that I use them if for no other reason than that..

Another previous poster had remarked about his new phones seeming to lack what he thought he should be hearing as far as sounding alive or having a certain brilliance.

Actually the whole reason about why I brought up why I felt the PS4 lacked in the ability to power decent phones and about using an external amp source to remedy the problem.

Using the Hyper X gaming phones through the external amp I already own wakes them up where they sound really good though.

I have not yet done it but I need to get an adapter cable to be able to channel the headphone speakers through an external amp while still running the microphone through the PS4.

I am pretty sure that with the proper cable set up that it will be possible to configure this way.

Back