V-Rally 4 (PC, PS4, Switch, Xbox One) - Release date September 2018

• Thread starter PzR Slim
  • 492 comments
I've chosen the Alpine as a startercar and I struggled a lot. This was until I found out one could upgrade the car. After, it hzndled a lot better. I am on the default settings for AI and I get smoked on every gravel stage. Tarmac and snow is fine. The tracks that are generated are very well done and they ask a lot of concentration however I find it very hard to see sometimes where the track is going and the peacenotes could need some work. The environments are gorgeous but a little less detailed than in WRC7. Handling is also a bit less precise but it is a lot of fun. Bugger I can't switch off that camera shaking like in WRC...Can make your head turn :indiff:

I've chosen the Alpine as a startercar and I struggled a lot. This was until I found out one could upgrade the car. After, it hzndled a lot better. I am on the default settings for AI and I get smoked on every gravel stage. Tarmac and snow is fine. The tracks that are generated are very well done and they ask a lot of concentration however I find it very hard to see sometimes where the track is going and the peacenotes could need some work. The environments are gorgeous but a little less detailed than in WRC7. Handling is also a bit less precise but it is a lot of fun. Bugger I can't switch off that camera shaking like in WRC...Can make your head turn :indiff:

I use bonnet cam, can't remember it shaking, (not at home to try it), perhaps give it a go..?
Are you using a steering wheel or controller ? I found the steering very twitchy and had to turn the sensitivity right down to make it usable, (controller), once I did that it became much easier. Don't worry about the difficulty, once you car is updated a bit you will start to win :)

Last edited:
I use bonnet cam, can't remember it shaking, (not at home to try it), perhaps give it a go..?
Are you using a steering wheel or controller ? I found the steering very twitchy and had to turn the sensitivity right down to make it usable, (controller), once I did that it became much easier. Don't worry about the difficulty, once you car is updated a bit you will start to win :)

Winning on gravel seems sheer impossible on gravel and my car is almost maxed out. The AI slider is exactly in the middle.

I used bonnetcam but I find it very shaky. Same as in WRC7 only in VR4 the terrain is more bumpy and it makes it worse. Wheel user here but tried both. Wheelsensitivy -2 Padsensitivity -10.

Winning on gravel seems sheer impossible on gravel and my car is almost maxed out. The AI slider is exactly in the middle.

I used bonnetcam but I find it very shaky. Same as in WRC7 only in VR4 the terrain is more bumpy and it makes it worse. Wheel user here but tried both. Wheelsensitivy -2 Padsensitivity -10.
The AI is still hideously inconsistent, its been an issue since launch and hasn't been fixed yet.

I have the most difficulty at Malaysia and Monument Valley. While I’m getting better, I still can’t beat the default AI difficulty in the 3 star events, even with the Polo. Best finish was 6th overall. I usually feel kind of exhausted after an hour or two of this game. Probably the camera shaking!

While using controller I was driving with AI set to 80% and it was a good fight. Today I've built a wheel stand and got conpletely obliterated by AI, even on 50% I'm having difficulties keeping with then on gravel. I even got a trophy for finishing the last place. :dopey: On the other hand in hill climb I'm getting 10s+ gap in front (same difficulty).

Hmmm. Are you guys all playing on PS4 ? I'm playing on Xbox and although it's not easy, I can beat the AI and I mostly play at max difficulty..? I'm not bragging just finding it odd hearing all of the comments as I'm no top gun! Are there any Xbox players on GTP ? If so how are you getting on ?
Beginning to think there may be a difference between versions.

Last edited:
Hmmm. Are you guys all playing on PS4 ? I'm playing on Xbox and although it's not easy, I can beat the AI and I mostly play at max difficulty..? I'm not bragging just finding it odd hearing all of the comments as I'm no top gun! Are there any Xbox players on GTP ? If so how are you getting on ?

PS4 yes! @Scaff said that AI is very inconsistant and that is certainly the case on gravel.

I have the Xbox version and AI inconsistencies are present here too (at least they were when I last played it). Have you tried entering a Rally Championship yet? Play one back-to-back with a 1-star Rally event and you'll notice a significant disparity in AI competency, even with the difficulty settings untouched.

I have the Xbox version and AI inconsistencies are present here too (at least they were when I last played it). Have you tried entering a Rally Championship yet? Play one back-to-back with a 1-star Rally event and you'll notice a significant disparity in AI competency, even with the difficulty settings untouched.

Yes I have and completely agree about the difference between the stars and championship. The championships are much harder than any star events, but I think that's Ok ? The location I struggle with is Japan, the AI seems much harder there.

I'm just having a dificulty with car physics, I'm too used to Dirt Rally physics on wheel. Hill climb feels okay, but for now I will have to play some more to get used to the rally itself.

I bought it for PS4 (with a discount), and I'm really disappointed.
Is it just PS4 version or the graphics is so bad on the other platforms too?

Are you talking cars, scenery ? I think the graphics are very nice, I'm playing on XB1X.

I am on a base PS4 and I find it looking rather nice.

V-Rally 4_20190217131817.png

I’m on PS4 Pro and it looks good to me too. Not GTS standards for sure, but good.

Wish the frame rate was higher, but I would rather have it lower and locked than variable or have screen tearing.

The DiRT series have an edge in graphical fidelity, but this game has more content.

Are you talking cars, scenery ? I think the graphics are very nice, I'm playing on XB1X.
I am on a base PS4 and I find it looking rather nice.

View attachment 800680
The scenery is decent, but cars and their textures aren't that good. The shadows are terrible for a 2018 game. Sometimes it looks much like DiRT 3, which is 7 years older.
UbvRSllJG4g.jpg

_bMUXM2kUZ8.jpg

XPfad49VdYY.jpg

^ I noticed a Lada Samara with caterpillars on the Russian rally stages. Perhaps it's inspired by this:

The gameplay (physics, career, content) isn't actually bad, but there are so many little annoying things that ruin the impression from the game. Like the music (thanks @FT-1 for the hint to enable the "Instrumental" option), the photomode that is almost useless (no proper zooming) and can't be used if you start the race on a wheel (you can't switch to DS4 during a replay and can't save the replay to do it later), and more.

I just bought this game on PC and I have a weird problem. When trying to run a rally stage my car will not leave the gate; the tires are just spinning in place. This doesn't happen in the other types of racing, just straight rally stages. I have tried different cars and tracks, and I have tried in v-rally and quick race mode. It's always the same. I found that if I let my tires spin long enough an 'x' will appear inside of a circle and flash 3 times. After that the car releases and goes and the counter is starting at 0:00, as if I haven't been sitting there for 30-40 seconds. I've tried to get the car to release via the handbrake and clutch with no luck. I also left a message in the Steam discussions 2 hours ago but no response yet.
I've never seen rally racing IRL; am I missing something? There is no manual that I can find and the game doesn't do/say anything to indicate that I should be doing something I'm not. Anyone have any idea what's going on? My wheel is configured correctly.

Update: Figured out problem was my clutch on the Fanatec V3 pedals connected via USB. For some reason the game doesn't like the clutch being assigned to an axis. Changed to a keyboard button and all is good.

Last edited:
Hey, guys. PS4 Pro and Logitech G29 here. I was wondering if anyone was interested in my wheel settings. It took me hours and it's decent, but I doubt I'll ever get it beyond "decent".

Anyway, it feels OK over all surfaces and disciplines and has made the game more enjoyable. I am very interested in opinions. Maybe someone has something even better.

DSC_0540.JPG

DSC_0541.JPG

So, I'm getting used to the game and starting to like it. Some of my thoughts:

The difficulty in the rally mode is kind of unstable. In the first stage of a championship, in Sequoia National Park, I was leading in over 30 seconds ahead, but in the next stage in Kenya, I lose over 10 seconds to AI of the same level, driving in about the same pace without serious mistakes. My car was a 4WD Citroen DS3 R5.

The livery editor is almost useless - when you apply decals and save the result, they turn into low resolution (at least on PS4) and it looks totally FUBAR. However, if you want to make your car monotone, this thing comes handy. For example, I don't like the default livery of the Evo X, but the monotone orange car is just fine to me.
V-Rally 4_20190308202026.jpg

The upgrade system. It seems that the cars you buy are worn out and underpowered, and to restore them back to the 'passport' specs, you have to fully upgrade them. That explains why Lancia Delta S4 of Group B has default stats lower than the Delta Integrale of Group A, but higher in Quick Race mode, where all cars are fully upgraded. But what it doesn't explain is why does the 911 GT3 RS (Romain Dumas), which has 380 hp according to the specs, have the same stats for acceleration and speed (both with and without all upgrades) as the Tuthill RGT 997, which has only 350 hp. Their masses aren't different, either...

I like the gymkhana mode, but it needs some more tracks. Never knew that Honda CR-Z can be so fun to drive. Oh, and there's a new gymkhana car added recently in a DLC, a Camaro ZL1. However, I'm still fine with the Ford GT from a previous one...

Hey, guys. PS4 Pro and Logitech G29 here. I was wondering if anyone was interested in my wheel settings. It took me hours and it's decent, but I doubt I'll ever get it beyond "decent".

Anyway, it feels OK over all surfaces and disciplines and has made the game more enjoyable. I am very interested in opinions. Maybe someone has something even better.

View attachment 804459

View attachment 804460
Thanks 👍
I'm on G29 too and I'll give your settings a try, since the default are quite far from "decent"...

A depressing look at the 1.10 update for V-Rally 4. In which we get the tyre bug back, they still haven't fixed the issue with replay overlays for wheel users and they also think that Ford make the Camaro.

Hahahaha. Thought I'd check out the new DLC cars. I was confused when I didn't see Chevy turn up on any of the disciplines, but I found out why: It's listed under Ford. Yup. The FORD Chevrolet Camaro ZL1.
Yep even has the Ford logo shown in two places!

hello I took V rally 4 because I saw a mode photo but it is very very limited, damage .. the game is nice otherwise I start to take my marks .. do you know if there is a photo mode in WRC 7 ?? thank you

1552143641-sebmugi-vrally4-20190309-14-23-25.png

1552143645-sebmugi-vrally4-20190309-14-25-30.png

1552143599-sebmugi-vrally4-20190309-13-59-59.png

1552143617-sebmugi-vrally4-20190309-14-02-39.png

It could be that the game code won't allow them to enter a new car manufacturer, but....that hasn't been a thing since like Forza 2. And would make the code for V-Rally 4 worse than BigBen's other series: WRC 'cause in as early as WRC6 they added Toyota and in 7 it was Porsche. So, really, what the Ford Chevy Camaro says is V-Rally 4 is a big steaming pile of...terrible.

Back