V-Rally 4 (PC, PS4, Switch, Xbox One) - Release date September 2018

• Thread starter PzR Slim
  • 492 comments
SMS is also a candidate. I guess we'll find out soon enough.
Good call. Also, Assetto Corsa Competizione WRC. joking but maybe one day.
You must have only played V Rally 1 which did indeed have some really chill music, as 2's OST is anything but chilled:
Nah i played 2 too. I just dont recall the music. Going by that videi its probably because i muted it.

So, let's recap:

Milestone just released Gravel and will be working on supporting in for a while, so no.
Kylotton is making V-Rally 4, full-steam (to my amazement), so no.
Slightly Mad Studios is going to continue work on PCARS 2 untill September of this year, at least, so no.

Who's going to make WRC 8?

EDIT: Nostalgia people!

Milestone just released Gravel and will be working on supporting in for a while, so no.
Kylotton is making V-Rally 4, full-steam (to my amazement), so no.
Slightly Mad Studios is going to continue work on PCARS 2 untill September of this year, at least, so no.

Who's going to make WRC 8?

We can't count anyone out at this point except Kylotonn.

Milestone wants the license and Gravel has SLRE under the hood. Milestone already has the assets needed to whip up another rally game.

Codemasters wants the license and has abandoned DR and D4 and has been its usual quiet self, though there have been hints that some announcement is coming. ONRUSH is a non-issue since it's mostly being worked on by the ex-Evolution guys. The DiRT team, unless working on another surprise project, is a candidate.

Ian bell of SMS has stated his desire to make a rally game. PC2 rally cross already has the physics down. Who knows if they have been working on point-to-point rally stages behind the scenes.

Then there is the possibility that a lesser-known studio has grabbed the license, just like Kylotonn did three years ago.

Hm! The 911 almost makes it an instant buy. Mustangs possibly jumping aircraft? Maybe not. I’ll definitely be watching this for more info.

Great news!

This also reminded me on Vanishing Point (someone remembers this one?), guess bcs I played them on about same time on PS1.
And they are beginning on V :)

Track editor AND music from V-Rally 2 or nothing!! :)

I Loved V-Rally 1 and V-Rally 2.
V_Rally 1 is unplayable today, but it had Skoda Felicia kit-car :)
V-Rally 2 can still be played, but its unforgiving (cars feel like leaves, but slightly less than in first one).

V-Rally 3 was trash.

Really hoping they make a good arcade rally game, but i dont think they can do judging by videos from their other games which feel low on budget.

V-Rally 2 can still be played, but its unforgiving (cars feel like leaves, but slightly less than in first one).

V-Rally 3 was trash.

Really hoping they make a good arcade rally game, but i dont think they can do judging by videos from their other games which feel low on budget.
Nothing wrong with either WRC7 or TT to suggest they can't do it.

..yes, but it's also the very same Kylotonn that made FlatOut 4, which.. let's just say people are divided on whether that's as good as 2/Ultimate Carnage or as bad as.. no, actually, nothing is as bad as FlatOut 3. You get the point.

I guess I just remain unconvinced and shall remain so until it's at least 50% off - I'm not in a financial way to be handing out anywhere near full price for a "maybe you'll like it", I don't have the privilege of preview copies and releasing free trial demos to the public don't make the company enough money. Unless you're EA and tie said free demos to EA Access. So that they're not really free. Yeah.

Also something I just noticed:

Yes, yes, it's still early days, it can mean anything et cetera, but I really hope that doesn't mean what I think it might. Because that *would* be a sin against "the identity of the franchise".
I was about to mention FlatOut3. That was the worst game I’ve ever played. I spent sooooop many hours CRUSHING people with my friend in FlatOut2. I was devestated when the online portion was taken away. Haven’t tried FlatOut4 yet..

Aaanyway back to OP. I have so high hopes for this game. I have many memories playing V-Rally 2&3 with my dad before he died. Not as many as GT1-3+Concept, but still. I still have one of the menu soundtracks in my head. Duruu duruu dudu dudu. xD

Do we know Kylotonn is out for sure as far as WRC 8 is concerned? Maybe they're doing both as unlikely as it may seem.

Do we know Kylotonn is out for sure as far as WRC 8 is concerned? Maybe they're doing both as unlikely as it may seem.

True, as unlikely as it may seem, you never really know. But after reading this (https://blog.us.playstation.com/201...ear-journey-behind-the-classic-series-return/). I highly doubt they will also be doing WRC 8. Let's say WRC 8 is already finished just to play devil's advocate. It would still be marketing suicide to realease two rally games together.

I am sure we will find out what's going on soon. For now, gossip!

True, as unlikely as it may seem, you never really know. But after reading this (https://blog.us.playstation.com/201...ear-journey-behind-the-classic-series-return/). I highly doubt they will also be doing WRC 8. Let's say WRC 8 is already finished just to play devil's advocate. It would still be marketing suicide to realease two rally games together.

I am sure we will find out what's going on soon. For now, gossip!
I'm happy that Kylotonn will be able to spread their wings a little bit but if this means the licensing is going elsewhere I'm a bit sad. :(

Unsure another developer can create those Epic Stages to a level that they did. The WRC cars are great but it is the tracks that really made 7 shine.

I'm happy that Kylotonn will be able to spread their wings a little bit but if this means the licensing is going elsewhere I'm a bit sad. :(

Unsure another developer can create those Epic Stages to a level that they did. The WRC cars are great but it is the tracks that really made 7 shine.

I just thought of something else. I am sure the WRC contract forbids the developer from also releasing other rally games. So I do think it's highly unlikely that WRC 8 will come from them.

I hope they can put together some nice tracks and stages. They did great work in WRC 6 and WRC 7 with the stages.

Milestone wants the license and Gravel has SLRE under the hood. Milestone already has the assets needed to whip up another rally game.

Gravel has SLRE under the hood? As far as I know, SLRE didn't use Unreal Engine. As for assets, they have older WRCs, but they'll have to make the new ones and, most likely, new stages. Even if they already have all the DLC work for Gravel done, they have about 7 months to build and test an AAA title for an acceptable release window of September/October. I don't see it coming from them. If WRC 8 does come from them, I'll be very skeptical of its quality.

Codemasters wants the license and has abandoned DR and D4 and has been its usual quiet self, though there have been hints that some announcement is coming.

What I've heard, from Codemasters, is that they find the WRC license restrictive, creativity and variety wise. They aren't that keen on it. It wouldn't suprise me if the DiRT team was working on a new project, already, but that would be for a 2019 release and would, likely, be something like DiRT Rally 2.

What is this about a possible announcement coming? I'm curious.

Ian bell of SMS has stated his desire to make a rally game. PC2 rally cross already has the physics down. Who knows if they have been working on point-to-point rally stages behind the scenes.

Don't forget they have a contract to do Fast & Furious games. A desire to make doesn't necessarily mean they are in a position to do it. To support PCARS 2, appropriately, they must have about 40 to 50 people, at the very least, still on that. How big are SMS, to see if they could form a 3rd team with enough members?

Then there is the possibility that a lesser-known studio has grabbed the license, just like Kylotonn did three years ago.

And the cycle would, likely, begin again. What I mean by this is: we'll have to wait untill their 3rd game for things to start showing proper quality.

Gravel has SLRE under the hood? As far as I know, SLRE didn't use Unreal Engine. As for assets, they have older WRCs, but they'll have to make the new ones and, most likely, new stages. Even if they already have all the DLC work for Gravel done, they have about 7 months to build and test an AAA title for an acceptable release window of September/October. I don't see it coming from them. If WRC 8 does come from them, I'll be very skeptical of its quality.

Yes, Gravel has SLRE under the hood despite using Unreal. You can feel it in the physics and FFB and see it in the car setup options. Gravel is just a very watered-down version of SLRE physics-wise. Kunos is also moving to Unreal but have stated that they have been able to transfer their physics engine intact.

I agree with your concern of quality in a short timeframe. However please do remember that SLRE was basically a WRC tryout to try to secure the license again. For all we know they may have 50 stages modeled and just waiting to be stuck into Unreal. Also keep in mind the interesting tool they use in Unreal to model terrain. Basically they just click on a satellite image and the whole area is instantly modeled in their game engine. You can see some of that at work in the following video. A tool like that could make procuring rally stages much easier than in the past.

What I've heard, from Codemasters, is that they find the WRC license restrictive, creativity and variety wise. They aren't that keen on it. It wouldn't suprise me if the DiRT team was working on a new project, already, but that would be for a 2019 release and would, likely, be something like DiRT Rally 2.

What is this about a possible announcement coming? I'm curious.

Who knows what the announcement could be. You know how they are. Always saying they're busy behind the scenes and will share big news when the time is right. DiRT Rally was also a tryout for the WRC license. It is restrictive, yes, but a few people on the DiRTY Gossip Thread swear that Codies is still interested.

Don't forget they have a contract to do Fast & Furious games. A desire to make doesn't necessarily mean they are in a position to do it. To support PCARS 2, appropriately, they must have about 40 to 50 people, at the very least, still on that. How big are SMS, to see if they could form a 3rd team with enough members?

All good points. I do see SMS getting into rally but as you say they are too small at the moment and the timeline is pretty tight.

And the cycle would, likely, begin again. What I mean by this is: we'll have to wait untill their 3rd game for things to start showing proper quality.

Good God let's hope not. The WRC license really needs a steady dev for five or more years. Now that I think of it, I was of the understanding that the Kylotonn WRC contract was for five years. Either that was false or something happened.

Yes, Gravel has SLRE under the hood despite using Unreal. You can feel it in the physics and FFB and see it in the car setup options. Gravel is just a very watered-down version of SLRE physics-wise. Kunos is also moving to Unreal but have stated that they have been able to transfer their physics engine intact.

I agree with your concern of quality in a short timeframe. However please do remember that SLRE was basically a WRC tryout to try to secure the license again. For all we know they may have 50 stages modeled and just waiting to be stuck into Unreal. Also keep in mind the interesting tool they use in Unreal to model terrain. Basically they just click on a satellite image and the whole area is instantly modeled in their game engine. You can see some of that at work in the following video. A tool like that could make procuring rally stages much easier than in the past.

The problem I have with Milestone is their reusing of assets. Not that reusing assets, in itself, is a bad thing but Milestone doesn't improve on them. Some of their modelling is awful and if they already have a car made for Gravel or SLRE, they'll only do some minor tweaking, maybe add one or two bits, and it goes straight in. I'm also not that fond of their physics and their reluctance to implement an "OFF" option for force-feedback.

Who knows what the announcement could be. You know how they are. Always saying they're busy behind the scenes and will share big news when the time is right. DiRT Rally was also a tryout for the WRC license. It is restrictive, yes, but a few people on the DiRTY Gossip Thread swear that Codies is still interested.

Out of eveyone out there, Codemasters are who I'd like to helm a WRC game. They've been awfully quiet, support for DiRT 4 is minimal to non-existant, could they be preparing something for October? A WRC game with Codemasters' handling and graphical polish would be a dream.

All good points. I do see SMS getting into rally but as you say they are too small at the moment and the timeline is pretty tight.

I forecast asphalt with sporadic showers of dust and rubber marbles, in their future, rather than loads of dirt, to be honest.

Good God let's hope not. The WRC license really needs a steady dev for five or more years. Now that I think of it, I was of the understanding that the Kylotonn WRC contract was for five years. Either that was false or something happened.

In my opinion, regarding the WRC license, either Kylotton continues with it and continues improving (they were on the right path), or they give it to a seasoned racing developer. I'd really prefer it not to be OutOfNowhere Studios developing it.

Come to think about it: what if Kylotton is the one still with the WRC license and they are developing WRC 8? I mean, in past year, they've released 3 racing games, all on major platforms: Flatout 4 Total Insanity in April 2017, WRC 7 in September 2017, Isle of Man TT just came out in the beginning of March. V-Rally 4 is due on September of this year. That's about 1 game every 5-6 months. Maybe Kylotton is not just the company name, it's a name of a special, complementary beverage, a company secret blend, given to employees every morning. Or maybe this GIF is an accurate representation of a Kylotton employee working on V-WRC Rally 4+8:

giphy.gif

Also food for throught may be that the WRC Promoter is fine with not releasing a game this year, which I doubt but could be a possibility.

The problem I have with Milestone is their reusing of assets. Not that reusing assets, in itself, is a bad thing but Milestone doesn't improve on them. Some of their modelling is awful and if they already have a car made for Gravel or SLRE, they'll only do some minor tweaking, maybe add one or two bits, and it goes straight in. I'm also not that fond of their physics and their reluctance to implement an "OFF" option for force-feedback.

Out of eveyone out there, Codemasters are who I'd like to helm a WRC game. They've been awfully quiet, support for DiRT 4 is minimal to non-existant, could they be preparing something for October? A WRC game with Codemasters' handling and graphical polish would be a dream.

I forecast asphalt with sporadic showers of dust and rubber marbles, in their future, rather than loads of dirt, to be honest.

In my opinion, regarding the WRC license, either Kylotton continues with it and continues improving (they were on the right path), or they give it to a seasoned racing developer. I'd really prefer it not to be OutOfNowhere Studios developing it.

Come to think about it: what if Kylotton is the one still with the WRC license and they are developing WRC 8? I mean, in past year, they've released 3 racing games, all on major platforms: Flatout 4 Total Insanity in April 2017, WRC 7 in September 2017, Isle of Man TT just came out in the beginning of March. V-Rally 4 is due on September of this year. That's about 1 game every 5-6 months. Maybe Kylotton is not just the company name, it's a name of a special, complementary beverage, a company secret blend, given to employees every morning. Or maybe this GIF is an accurate representation of a Kylotton employee working on V-WRC Rally 4+8:

giphy.gif

Also food for throught may be that the WRC Promoter is fine with not releasing a game this year, which I doubt but could be a possibility.
While Codies would give a WRC title the right polish, I don't rate the physics, FFB and overall handing as anything like as good as SLRE or PC2's.

I highly recommend everybody expecting a track editor to express their utter disappointment in this game in advance.

unpopular opinion: no PS Vita version? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

I would like one, but I don't expect one. A developer that cares about the creativity of their user base? Omg such a 2007 concept.

The problem I have with Milestone is their reusing of assets. Not that reusing assets, in itself, is a bad thing but Milestone doesn't improve on them. Some of their modelling is awful and if they already have a car made for Gravel or SLRE, they'll only do some minor tweaking, maybe add one or two bits, and it goes straight in. I'm also not that fond of their physics and their reluctance to implement an "OFF" option for force-feedback...
Whilst Milestone remained a fairly small studio up until WRC 4 I thought they at least tried to improve the vehicle modelling along with physics (WRC 3 was great, so was 4.)

Here are some pics I took back then from 2, 3 and 4. Improvements I agree were more noticeable in lighting and particle physics but modelling was definitely improved.
WRC 2 Sweden 3.JPG
WRC 3 Monte Carlo 11.JPG
WRC 4 - Australia 9.JPG

V-Rally 3 was trash.

V Rally 3 is my GT5 for rally games. The first games were so good that I couldn't be a V Rally.

Why would Kylotonn release two rally games in the span of two/three months? It would be suicide to release WRC 8 in July and V-Rally 4 in September.

Unless the rumors that Kylotonn lost the WRC license are true...

Kylotonn lost WRC license? Good news. 👍

Wow, there is a name I thought I'd never see again. Very excited about this, considering WRC7 was a surprisingly good rally game (and to me one of the best in recent years, not sure what the hate is about for smaller developers, but WRC7 was actually good) so I will definitely be getting this. Also Porsche!

Edit: Just watched the trailer. With the 1978 East African Safari 2nd place 911 in the trailer I hope to see some Africa stages! Super exciting!

Last edited:
Back