V8 Thunder | V8 RWD GT4 Racing - Looking for drivers!!!

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 86 comments

CodeRedR51

Premium
United States
United States
banner.png

banner2.png

Welcome to V8 Thunder!
We are a GT4 racing alternative to the Aussie V8 Supercars Series. Cars will be run at or near max power, and a low enough curb weight to bring them close to the same 4.8 power/weight ratio as a V8 Supercar. This makes the cars super quick, with handling characteristics close to what a V8 Supercar would offer. Lap times around Bathurst are very similar on a Racing Hard tire. We hope that you will join us for this unique format!

Races will be on Sundays at 11:00am PST.
(Convert here)
  1. May 10 - Red Bull Ring (Pre-Season; 8/8 Laps. No points. Attendance encouraged.)
  2. TBD - Nurburgring GP Circuit (10/20 Laps)
  3. TBD - Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps (8/16 Laps)
  4. TBD - Autodromo Nazionale Monza (11/22 Laps)
  5. TBD - Weathertech Raceway Laguna Seca (14/28 Laps)
  6. TBD - Mount Panorama Bathurst (26 Laps)
  7. TBD - Suzuka Circuit (9/18 Laps)
Practice
  • Start Time 11:00am PST / 2:00pm EST
  • 20 Minutes
  • Open Session (All Cars)
Qualifying
  • Start Time 11:25am PST / 2:25pm EST
  • 10 Minutes
  • Open Session (All Cars)
  • Sets grid for positions 6-16
Top 5 Shootout
  • Start Time 11:40am PST / 2:40pm EST
  • Roughly 15-20 Minutes
  • Open Session
  • Sets grid for positions 1-5
  • Cars will qualify in reverse order from first qualifying session. (5th first, 4th second, etc)
  • Room host will direct qualifiers to track one at a time.
Race
  • Start Time 12:00pm PST / 3:00pm EST
  • At least 60 Minutes
  • Grid set by host
  • Medium and Soft tire compounds available. Each must be used at least once!
  • Grid start with False Start Check (TCS available)
Points will be awarded in the following manner:
- Drivers Championship
- Tire Manufacture Championship

upload_2020-4-28_3-34-20.png
upload_2020-4-28_2-37-31.png
A maximum of 3 of each car can be chosen. Once the season has started you cannot change your car. BOP is TBD.
  • Aston Martin V8 Vantage Gr.4 (x2)
  • Chevrolet Corvette Gr.4 (x3)
  • Ford Mustang Gr.4 (x2)
  • Jaguar F-Type Gr.4 (x3)
  • Lexus RC F Gr.4 (x1)
  • Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Gr.4 (x3)
Please adhere to the following guidelines when making a livery:
- Black windshield banner
- Wheel choice open. Please keep it professional. Center lug preferred, but not required.
- Use the V8 Thunder number plate. You can find it HERE. Should remain standard size.
- VP Racing Fuels stickers. Place 1 on each corner of the front and rear bumpers as shown below. You can find it HERE. Size not restricted.
- Tire brand stickers are your choice and placement is open.

NOTE: Please apply a standard number plate, set your number, and then remove the number plate. This will show your correct number with your name above your car in replays.

4611770758209765396_0.jpg
To register for this series, copy/paste the section below and fill out your information:

PSN Name:
GTPlanet Name:
Car Type:
Car Number:
Tire Brand:

Thread under construction.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Registered Drivers:

PSN Name: R1600Turbo
GTPlanet Name: R1600Turbo
Car Type: Lexus RC F
Car Number: 71
Tire Brand: Falken

PSN Name: DesertPenguin_
GTPlanet Name: DesertPenguin
Car Type: Ford Mustang
Car Number: 9
Tire Brand: Michelin

PSN Name: GTP_MPower
GTPlanet Name: lilcat89
Car Type:
Aston Martin Vantage
Car Number: 54
Tire Brand: Continental

PSN Name: rsrgse
GTPlanet Name: rsrgse
Car Type: Lexus RC F Gr4
Car Number: 18
Tire Brand: Bridgestone

PSN Name: GTP_Guido
GTPlanet Name:
GTP_Guido
Car Type:
Aston Martin Vantage
Car Number:
Tire Brand:
Michelin

Reserve Drivers:

PSN Name:
II-NOVA-II
GTPlanet Name: llNovall
Car Type: Lexus RC F Gr4
Car Number: 4
Tire Brand: Dunlop

PSN Name:
larrybr07n
GTPlanet Name: larrybr07n
Car Type: Chevrolet Corvette
Car Number: #707
Tire Brand:

PSN Name:
ImMano99
GTPlanet Name:
ImMano99
Car Type:
Car Number:
Tire Brand:

Last edited:
As always this looks like an awesome series, and its very similar to one I was considering putting together if I had time, but the time doesn't work for me. I hope you can get some momentum and get this one going though, good luck!

I’ll be watching this. Sounds really cool and racing should be great. The time works for me as well.

Good looking idea Turbo. Wish I had the opening in time on Sundays to race with you. Have you considered ditching the standard BOPs, and raise the horsepower, setting the weights closer to the V8 SuperCar series, and doing your own BOP balance testing? They represent big horsepower V8s with alot of speed. Might set the series apart from other Gr4 series with base BOP, that restrict these cars to around 400hp. If you decide to go this way and need help with testing, let me know. Good luck and hope you get a healthy grid together.

(Here are real world specs for reference.
https://www.thesupercarscollective.com/inside-supercars/v8-supercar-technical-specifications/
Around 645hp and 1410kg (3100lbs) equaling a 4.80 p/w ratio. Since the Gr4 cars don't go that high, max the power and drop the weight to get as close to that 4.80 p/w figure possible. Would also open the series up to tuning)

Last edited:
As always this looks like an awesome series, and its very similar to one I was considering putting together if I had time, but the time doesn't work for me. I hope you can get some momentum and get this one going though, good luck!
Yeah Sundays are the only days that work for me unfortunately.
Have you considered ditching the standard BOPs, and raise the horsepower, setting the weights closer to the V8 SuperCar series, and doing your own BOP balance testing?
I think the Gr4 cars max out in the mid 500's for power, but I can look into it.

I think the Gr4 cars max out in the mid 500's for power, but I can look into it.
Correction: They max out at 495hp. Looks like weight in the ~2,300lb range get them to about 4.8 ratio. Fairly unrealistic lol, but they do feel good in this spec for sure.

Correction: They max out at 495hp. Looks like weight in the ~2,300lb range get them to about 4.8 ratio. Fairly unrealistic lol, but they do feel good in this spec for sure.
2,300lbs is like super stripped out and anything that could be replaced with carbon was :)

I think even though it would be unrealistic figures, the speed and on the edge feel of the cars would fall more in line with the characteristics of those cars: overpowered and light for their size. Would make for a Gr4 series different than any others offered at the moment.

I think even though it would be unrealistic figures, the speed and on the edge feel of the cars would fall more in line with the characteristics of those cars: overpowered and light for their size. Would make for a Gr4 series different than any others offered at the moment.
We'll probably move forward with that. I need to do more testing when I'm also not supposed to be working from home. :P

We'll probably move forward with that. I need to do more testing when I'm also not supposed to be working from home. :P
Let know if you want some help on testing. May not be able to race the series, but certainly would like to see this take off.:cheers:

PSN Name: GTP_MPower
GTPlanet Name: lilcat89
Car Type: Aston Martin Vantage
Car Number: 54
Tire Brand: Continental

Sounds like it will be a blast to run. I’m available for testing as well if needed.

@llNovall @R1600Turbo

Well all of these cars have similar group 3 siblings if you wanted to up the power but now that's severely altering what the series was initially.

I think that does take away from the intent of the series as it would then become just another "slightly above standard hp" Gr3 series. My suggestion was less about achieving the specific power of a V8 Supercar and more about getting close to the power to weight ratio to simulate the overkill feel of these awesome cars. Using the Gr4 chassis' with an over abundance of power against a weight set to get close to the desired 4.80-5.0 p/w ratio could achieve that V8 Supercar persona. Would definately seperate this series from other running.

I love how the Aston felt on max power(495) and ~2300 pounds. I ran on the mediums on full fuel. I think the mediums and hards should be used, add a bit less grip to them. It would add some of that overkill feel that nova is talking about.

I love how the Aston felt on max power(495) and ~2300 pounds. I ran on the mediums on full fuel. I think the mediums and hards should be used, add a bit less grip to them. It would add some of that overkill feel that nova is talking about.
Yeah I was considering that when I was doing testing. I may hop in a few minutes to run some laps.

I have a room open if anyone is interested Add me as a friend if you haven't done so already.

Just with initial testing on the Hard compound tire, the Aston is low 2:05's around Bathurst. The real life track record here in a Supercar is 2:04.760 so we are pretty much right on the money.

I have a room open if anyone is interested Add me as a friend if you haven't done so already.

Just with initial testing on the Hard compound tire, the Aston is low 2:05's around Bathurst. The real life track record here in a Supercar is 2:04.760 so we are pretty much right on the money.
Still at work. Glad to see them line up so well. Might have to sign up as a Reserve to catch one or two of these race events if your willing to take on Reserves.

Tested all the cars but having trouble with a few of of them that have constant understeer so might need some help from someone that knows how to properly set up a car. This is what I have so far: (green I'm pretty confident in it being final, yellow not so much)

upload_2020-4-28_23-12-49.png

Yeah I think with the nature of the cars the tuning might be required. Some of them need some help in the handling department.

That makes sense with them all being FR and tuned up power wise. It sounds like a fun series. :)

Last edited:
Tested all the cars but having trouble with a few of of them that have constant understeer so might need some help from someone that knows how to properly set up a car. This is what I have so far: (green I'm pretty confident in it being final, yellow not so much)

View attachment 915630
I'll lay down some laps with these numbers over the next few days and send you the results from my sessions. I will be using the Nurburgring GP circuit on race medium tires for more consistency.

Back