Vegetable Gardens: Tips, Advice, Questions, Tales, Pictures

• Thread starter FoolKiller
  • 347 comments
TB
Having never grown anything in my life but houseplants, I'm starting off small:

View attachment 546897

Fingers crossed!

Something tells me your memory is as good as mine :D

I've only been growing herbs since the beginning of this year but I can give you one bit of advice; the basil... once it "takes" it'll go crazy and it likes to make a lot of roots. It will need to be out of the can much much sooner than you think.

TB
Having never grown anything in my life but houseplants, I'm starting off small:

View attachment 546897

Fingers crossed!
If the cilantro goes to seed (coriander) and dies off quickly don't give up. I know people at the farmers market who plant new cilantro and dill throughout the season because they are so finicky.

I am on the brink of getting rid of my first chilli plants :( I have three Carolina Reaper plants, one of which is a monster and is already producing fruit (see below) despite only being raised from seed 5 months ago... in Scotland. However the other two are not doing so well - one is clearly stunted and the other is struggling with some shriveled leaves, even though they have all been treated the same way. I have no room left for new plants but have 6 seedlings on the go, so I fear the time may have come to chuck the two strugglers and lavish attention on the big guy....

13417601_1000382086898_7130828133383784737_n.jpg

I'm currently attempting to deal with my first bug problem - I found some brown bugs on one of my orange Habanero plants - loads of them on the underside of the leaves... so I pruned back all the leaves I found with any bugs on, but they reappeared (unsurprisingly), and this time they were on the flowers as well. So after a bit of Googling, I've pruned it back as far as I can, rubbed down the leaves and as much of the stalks as I can with some isopropyl alcohol (that I happened to have handy!), removed the top layer of soil and then showered the plant with water in an attempt to wash off any bugs that might still be there. Failing that, I might try a bug spray, but I am hoping to not have to revert to that - I may have to chuck it if it doesn't work, but since I need more space anyway it might not be a bad idea to get rid of it anyway. That said, I'd like to know how to deal with these bugs if they start affecting my other plants, since there are several plants that I would not want to lose!

Question: My family and I have a large tomato garden in my backyard, but it is being attacked by deer. Local ordinance does not allow fences in the middle of a backyard unless there is a pool, so we can't put a fence up. So I put up high chairs around the garden hoping to keep the deer away, but they just jump them. The garden will eventually be gone if the deer continue to eat the plants, so do any of you know a solution to keep the deer away? Thanks.

Question: My family and I have a large tomato garden in my backyard, but it is being attacked by deer. Local ordinance does not allow fences in the middle of a backyard unless there is a pool, so we can't put a fence up. So I put up high chairs around the garden hoping to keep the deer away, but they just jump them. The garden will eventually be gone if the deer continue to eat the plants, so do any of you know a solution to keep the deer away? Thanks.
Crossbow!

Or try peeing in a jar and pouring it on the outer edge of your yard (human scent).

Robert.jpg

💡

Moth Balls. Place moth balls around the perimeter of the garden. Deer and other animals do not like the smell. It has helped me keep rabbits out and the neighbors cats from shatting in my garden.

I have also heard of people using foil streamers on a pole. The rattling and flash of colors is said to deter animals.

I also like the idea of using your own urine around the perimeter. Lets all the animals know that there is an alpha here. though you will have to retreat it a few days later.

These are cheap and harmless options.

It seems I have a bit of a problem with spider mites. Half of my chilli plants have them now, and keeping them at bay is proving to be difficult. I don't want to use any pesticides, but I fear I may have to if the situation gets any worse. I had them on one plant and cleaned it very thoroughly, only for the mites to reappear within two weeks. I recleaned the plant within an inch of its life again last weekend, but once again they have reappeared without much trouble, which is leading to me consider more drastic measures.

nyone had any dealings with these things?

It seems I have a bit of a problem with spider mites. Half of my chilli plants have them now, and keeping them at bay is proving to be difficult. I don't want to use any pesticides, but I fear I may have to if the situation gets any worse. I had them on one plant and cleaned it very thoroughly, only for the mites to reappear within two weeks. I recleaned the plant within an inch of its life again last weekend, but once again they have reappeared without much trouble, which is leading to me consider more drastic measures.

nyone had any dealings with these things?

2 non toxic solutions to try are:
1. Rosemary oil. It can be sprayed on the entire plant.
2. Dawn dish soap and water. Mix 1tbsp. Soap with water in a spray bottle. Spray leaves with the solution.

Spider mites mostly live on the underside of the foliage. Make sure to get underneath.
Spider mites are really destructive and if the infestation is too great it may cost you the plant.

I cannot remember the name of the beetle, but an introduction of that beetle will eat spider mites and leave veggitation alone.

Lady bugs and praying mantis are good for outside plants.

On indoor plants wipe them with rosemary oil or isopropyl alcohol.

Also, orange peels with a slit cut in them and placed around the stem near the base of the plant detracts aphids, but not sure about mites.

I looked into building a raised bed this year, and it was so incredibly expensive that I bought a Rubbermaid cattle trough instead. It was cheaper, bigger, and taller for far less. I layered the bottom with a mesh to catch the soil, put in rocks on the bottom, filled, planted... and things didn't go well. My plants just did not grow.

And one day I came back to discover my plants in standing water after a rain.

I had forgotten to pull the plug on the bottom of the cattle trough to let it drain, and it had turned into a swamp.

So, now I have no plants. ;_;

I think it will work next year though, so long as I keep it unplugged. I feel kind of the fool for making such a silly mistake. :)

I looked into building a raised bed this year, and it was so incredibly expensive that I bought a Rubbermaid cattle trough instead. It was cheaper, bigger, and taller for far less. I layered the bottom with a mesh to catch the soil, put in rocks on the bottom, filled, planted... and things didn't go well. My plants just did not grow.

And one day I came back to discover my plants in standing water after a rain.

I had forgotten to pull the plug on the bottom of the cattle trough to let it drain, and it had turned into a swamp.

So, now I have no plants. ;_;

I think it will work next year though, so long as I keep it unplugged. I feel kind of the fool for making such a silly mistake. :)
I'm using 30 gallon plastic storage containers bought at Walmart. I drilled five holes in the bottom and set them in their upside down lids. I put a layer of gravel on the bottom and then filled with soil.

They work great.

So my little chilli plant colony has suffered its first major cull - with a heavy heart I chucked out 5 plants, including my first, oldest and biggest plant. I think I may have to downsize even further and just hold on to about 4 or 5 productive plants and bin the rest.

The main reason for the cull was that I'm struggling with spider mites and I have too many plants to be able to deal with them all. Ironically, my attempts to grow more productive plants has probably made the problem harder to deal with. Pruning/topping has produced much bushier/leafier plants, but now I am finding that it is nigh on impossible to wash/clean every leaf on every plant - hence the bugs keep coming back, no matter how well I think I have rid them of bugs.

I don't know, but I don't like the idea that my flat itself is now infested with spider mites and that I may need to fumigate the place to get rid of them completely... does anyone have experience with that? I'm working on the assumption that the bugs would disappear eventually if I got rid of all of my plants, but I don't want to do that unless I had to.

Spring . . . is in the air.
And I'm probably missing FK's voice around here.

I'm looking at the weather reports - and it's rain, rain, rain. I can smell that familiar pattern - April showers are rehearsing way ahead of schedule - and that means nature around me is going to instantaneously (and astonishingly quite simultaneously) burst into life.
I'm already looking forward to the sight of tulips and scent of lilacs down my street.
The first robin? That, too.
As for plans to start off veggies this year . . . having taken a break for a couple of years, I'm getting hit by a huge dose of FOMO; must do something this year - I sorely missed out on having fresh herbs on tap in the kitchen.
Not seen the outdoor garden centres open yet - but anytime now.

How about the rest of you green-thumbed humans? Any moss on those fingers yet? :)

Spring . . . is in the air.
And I'm probably missing FK's voice around here.

I'm looking at the weather reports - and it's rain, rain, rain. I can smell that familiar pattern - April showers are rehearsing way ahead of schedule - and that means nature around me is going to instantaneously (and astonishingly quite simultaneously) burst into life.
I'm already looking forward to the sight of tulips and scent of lilacs down my street.
The first robin? That, too.
As for plans to start off veggies this year . . . having taken a break for a couple of years, I'm getting hit by a huge dose of FOMO; must do something this year - I sorely missed out on having fresh herbs on tap in the kitchen.
Not seen the outdoor garden centres open yet - but anytime now.

How about the rest of you green-thumbed humans? Any moss on those fingers yet? :)
Okay, Lowell...

:P

Welcome to (yet) another thread. :cheers:

Sorry - no time for YouTube right now - was it a trick or tip?
It was a clip of the main character of the film Silent Running, Freeman Lowell, giving an empassioned speech about plants to a trio of dimwits; you reminded me of him in that moment.

;)

You 'know' me well then. :lol:

Maybe a read-up of the whole thread might actually leave you in stitches. If not actually speechless in thought.

Maybe a read-up of the whole thread might actually leave you in stitches. If not actually speechless in thought.
Yeah, I've been a lurker for years (good grief) but had nothing to contribute, however in that moment I was compelled to comment in the manner I did, despite still not having anything to contribute.

Yeah, I've been a lurker for years (good grief) but had nothing to contribute, however in that moment I was compelled to comment in the manner I did, despite still not having anything to contribute.

Yes, I've seen that green 'Barney' around for quite some time - though you have been rather more active recently.
Wasn't being rude, just surprised; I promise to get to that video soon (though I wouldn't really regard my fellow gardeners here as 'dimwits'. :lol: )
Foolkiller, who began and maintained this thread, was certainly the opposite of that, and it's great to see him live and breathe in this thread though he's running silent now. But, even though he's gone, his words live on - back pages contain a wealth of information for gardeners. I missed a couple of years in here but intend to start up a herb garden this year - maybe some chillies, too.

If you have done it even once it's noticeable how much you save on that odd stuff like herbs and the occasional chilli pepper we need. These can be quite costly at the store, and often the whole bunch isn't used and can go to waste.
Grown at home means it's fresh, conveniently there when you want it - and cheaper. Nothing like some freshly chopped basil on the pizza that just got delivered.:lol:

Growing tomatoes or corn or squash is another thing altogether. Do a good job and Nature comes back with the kind of bounty that can be truly overwhelming - a good way to sweeten your neighbours with a basket of tomatoes or zucchini.

Don't have a garden? Well - even if one lives in a basement, or a sky-high pigeon-cot of a condo, there will always be some windowsill space for a few pots of herbs that you will relish as they grow; providing fresh air, colour, and some zest to your meals.

Now that you are in here, might as well get acquainted with Rosemary and Basil, no? :)

though I wouldn't really regard my fellow gardeners here as 'dimwits'.
Oh absolutely not, and I feel bad if anyone inferred that from what I said of the clip; my posting of it was inspired more by your fervor than your audience.

Regarding my "presence"...well, I've been on GTP for about four years now, initially hanging around GT6 discussions (particularly those on the topic of paint color availability), but I also branched out to general automotive discussion and the music forums because those subjects appeal to me--of course my blowhardiness has also shown itself in those topics because of my interest.
I actually pop in most areas of GTP, if only to satisfy curiosity, even if I have nothing legitimate to contribute. I'm a smartass though, so I'm not above chiming in despite lacking legitimate contributions.

Anyway...

I'm certainly no stranger to the virtues of home growing, not only for savings but also acquiring produce that can be difficult to find in stores. Though my wife's thumbs are greener than my own.

Edit: Again with the double spoiler. It only happens when I edit a post with a spoiler in it.

Oh absolutely not, and I feel bad if anyone inferred that from what I said of the clip; my posting of it was inspired more by your fervor than your audience.

Well, wow - I succumbed to 'hasty conclusions' there - now that I've viewed the clip I see how apt it was for this thread, at least when addressed to folk who have no idea how important plant-life is to humanity. I surely cannot match the fervour that Bruce Dern brings to that role, though - having watched the clip and then checked the Wiki on it I have now put that movie on my 'must watch' list.
What scares me most though is that life often imitates art - let's hope we never get into the situation where those in control forget that plants, and not asphalt, paved the way for life.

Regarding my "presence"...well, I've been on GTP for about four years now, initially hanging around GT6 discussions (particularly those on the topic of paint color availability), but I also branched out to general automotive discussion and the music forums because those subjects appeal to me--of course my blowhardiness has also shown itself in those topics because of my interest.

I actually pop in most areas of GTP, if only to satisfy curiosity, even if I have nothing legitimate to contribute. I'm a smartass though, so I'm not above chiming in despite lacking legitimate contributions.

And this is where I probably noticed you before - on the gaming side, and not the off-topic sections. Not a lot of crossover between the GT6 and off-topic sections, though I've encouraged (lured?) many a member from running around in the sackcloth and ashes in GT6 and posting over in the off-topic sections, too. We have a large community in here - and the gaming forums are usually always busy - the GTS forum can run a page a day sometimes; threads get buried in no time at all. The off-topic side though (while strangely enough being the more 'social' side of the site can fall quite fallow at times - last Monday for instance there was only one thread used in the Rumble Strip - and that just a couple of rant posts.
So, speaking for myself, I like to see more members active in the off-topic sections, too, and not necessarily just whining or using the fallacy of authority to preen themselves but also sharing the type of information which actually has some sort of social benefit that makes 'social-networking' social. And beneficial. Instead of just a time-wasting addiction.

I'm certainly no stranger to the virtues of home growing, not only for savings but also acquiring produce that can be difficult to find in stores. Though my wife's thumbs are greener than my own.

That's good to hear - and here's hoping you will end up growing more posts in this discussion. You are so right about acquiring produce that can be difficult to find; there is no lack of variety here in Ontario - a community as diverse as ours with the kind of gene pool that involves a vast spread of DNA is provided produce from all over the world, and yet . . . it is only when one has grown their own tomatoes that one really knows the difference between what is grown for dollars and what is grown in good sense.

I have a couple raised beds and a few pots for tomatoes. This year I’m experimenting with pallet planters. I think it would be perfect for all the herbs I need. I just need 2 more pallets and I can begin construction.
I love being outside digging in the earth. Then, reaping the rewards

I have a couple raised beds and a few pots for tomatoes. This year I’m experimenting with pallet planters. I think it would be perfect for all the herbs I need. I just need 2 more pallets and I can begin construction.
I love being outside digging in the earth. Then, reaping the rewards

While I'm a guru at hibernation (quite often I disappear from society just for the heck of it) it is hard to get away from pure nature. Walking in the woods, soaking in the sights, sounds, and smells is when I feel truly myself - an intelligent animal in its natural habitat.
Those lucky enough to have a garden - even 'tainted nature' in a middle of an urban cesspool - are fortunate to have their own little bits of Eden.
Civilisation, and technology, have made many lives very comfortable (sometimes at the expense of others) but also deceptively reclusive; many people may only see an office, a street, a convenience store, and their living rooms most often - this is because humans thrive on comfort (and entertaining our neurons) and there seems no good reason to go dig in the dirt.

Is it an acquired taste?

I would assume not. All I have to watch is a child (mind unadulterated by programs) digging in the dirt, to realize this comes naturally to us - may even be part of ancient DNA never lost but hidden beneath the comforts of civilization.
The pleasure is ours to reclaim. All it takes is a few baby steps.

The weather here is improving - March came in like a lion-cub and is stumbling away like a blind ram. Looking forward to diving into prana big-time. :)

No activity for a year?

One month ago the niece went shopping for flowers. She came home with four jalapeno plants, instead.

After a week of them sitting on the kitchen counter, they were finally planted.

About a week after that, her and my wife came home with a tomato plant. That was left on the back patio in the pot ot came in.

Neither one of them have touched either since. I can't just let things be so apparently they're my plants now.

I repotted the tomato this weekend and its already happier, but some of the damage has already been done.

20190611_064707.jpg

Surprising amount of tomatoes considering, and the start of at least one jalapeno.

20190611_064641.jpg

20190611_064627.jpg

And disregard the mess that currently is the landscaping. It's getting a bit of a makeover.

I've just dug a raised bed for growing vegetables in the garden. The soil is terrible across the whole of our housing development - It's about an inch of top soil, then clay, then rubble, so a raised bed with homemade mulch, simple top soil and a layer of high nutrient topsoil has been used. I've also had to make a suitable cover for it to stop local cats using it as a litter tray. Nothings been planted in it yet, waiting for our rubbish weather to pass.

In the meantime, I've put a Chilli plant in the kitchen window...

upload_2019-6-11_16-19-18.png

.. it'll yield Apache chilli's which are a lot hotter than Jalapeno's, but not quite at Habanero level. I do get through a lot of Chilli's when I cook and one plant won't yield enough, so the first crop will be used to produce multiple plants. I'll keep these indoors since I don't want to worry about things being seasonal.

I want to start with micro vegetables but don't know how exactly. I have been told that it is very easy. Take some seeds, make them wet, put them in a bowl or something. Keep them wet and after a week or so you have micro vegetables you can eat.

A few years ago, I ate sprouted grains and that was not bad at all. (Sprouted them myself in my kitchen) :sly:

Back