Patio screen wall, lighting and audio

Discussion in 'The Rumble Strip' started by TB, Dec 5, 2018.

1. TB

TB Moderator

Our patio gets hot. Usually coupled with 15+ mph wind. As our house sits higher than the six, yes SIX, surrounding neighbor's backyards, we simply don't use the patio at all as we feel "exposed" whenever we're out there. I'd like to change that.

Last summer I came up with a decent design for a screen wall that will both block most of the sun along with he wind and sightlines. Downside, which I think I've found a way to "soften" is the wall will end up being eight feet tall. From the outside, I fear this will look... intimidating, or at a minimum standoffish. To make the patio usable, I don't feel I really have a choice, though. I'm hoping that the horizontal 2x6 will work to soften the height as it's technically necessary to go taht high for a "ceiling" as a 6 foot wall obviously wouldn't cut it.

Also, I got a potentially dangerous email from Monoprice yesterday (@Terronium-12 understands) that they have exterior speakers with a buried sub now. Having heard, what I can only assume was a much more expensive version at a friends lake cabin last summer, I was impressed with how good they sounded. Did some brainstorming and think I have a good chunk of it figured out, including the lighting and controls for it. Not sure how “approved by code” it is, but we’ll worry about that later…

Audio

Lighting

Design

Extension cord run from a receptacle to the splitter in weatherproof box, amplifier plugged in to one leg, wiring from other leg to weatherproof switch then to string lights.

Speakers placed in two corners of the patio, sub near the house in the other corner. Down side – speaker wire will have to be run from the amp, past both speakers, to sub then from the sub back to the speakers. But I don’t have anywhere else to put either the sub or the amp without it sticking out somewhere.

Lighting will tentatively be (5) 20 foot passes of string lights, at the two furthest points of the roof structure then spaced equal distances apart, fanning out slightly.
    To scale, but not correctly colored:

[​IMG]
    If anyone has any recommendations, I'm all ears!

Jordan and Terronium-12 like this.
  2. kikie

kikie Premium

Can you post a photo of the patio? It is maybe easier for others to give suggestions.

3. TB

TB Moderator

It's currently just a concrete slab with the steps and a paver stone to get through the landscape rock into the back yard. Exactly what I drew. :p

And I don't think I have any pictures of anything.

Edit:

Capture.PNG

Helpful, huh? :lol:

4. Danoff

Danoff Premium

5. TB

TB Moderator

We planted some arborvitae in the yard* but they'll take about 10 years to be tall enough to do anything. And because they get 6' across, they're too big for the landscaping that's in the neighborhood of 3'.

*I was somewhat against that but did it anyway. I told the wife we essentially need a wall. She's finally on board with that after thinking a pergola would do the trick.

6. Terronium-12

Terronium-12 Moderator

The weatherproof switch cover confuses me a bit. Do you install the switch itself and offset it to the right left, or is there a toggle slider behind the metal plate? :confused:

Hah. Relative directions are hard.

7. TexRex

TexRex Premium

You could always paint a giant smiley face on the exterior wall.

[​IMG]

kolio and TB like this.
  8. TB

TB Moderator

The back side of the cover plate is sideways horseshoe shaped so as you rotate the switch on the plate, it engages the "normal" switch behind it to turn the lights on and off.

Terronium-12 likes this.
  9. kolio

kolio Premium

I vaguely recall that you are moving soon. How soon or is it confirmed? Just wondering if this project is worth the efforts.

Although, I will say that this would be a very nice addition if you are looking for a little more privacy and a place to have lunch on a nice spring, summer or fall day. As well as small gathering of friends for drinks.

10. TB

TB Moderator

Do you know something I don't?

11. kolio

kolio Premium

I.. I thought you were moving to Hawaii. Ugh. I've been stressed out. I could be making this up. :lol:

(But really though...:odd:)

EDIT:

This was labeled as an upcoming event for you in the future.

12. TB

TB Moderator

That's 1) theoretical and 2) 10 years away if it does happen.

13. kikie

kikie Premium

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

All of these patio examples in combination with (roll-down) shutters or using shutters and nothing else.