Video archives. Post all your 2012 GTA videos.

• Thread starter Wardez
  • 69 comments

Wardez

Not Hotdog
Staff Emeritus
United States
Las Vegas UTC-8
Wardez
Wardez
I captured samurai_405's hotlap (current world #1) to kind of study it a bit at work tonight so I figured, why not share?
Maybe some of you kind find the same use for it being stuck somewhere away from the PS3 so you don't have to just run laps in mind.

Updated 6/24/12 -

Ti-tech85 - 1:30.682 - World Record

Wardez - 1:31.200 - #22

==============================================================

Updated 6/19/12 -

Current world best, eclipsi_RC - 1'30.745, two different views, same lap (onboard and out)

Updated 6/13/12 -

First sub 31 time, current #1 in the world:

A7XMaverick's 1'31.141. #1 in the US:

Updated 6/12/12 -

Top times in rounds 1-5:

Round 1

Round 2

Round 3

Round 4

Round 5

Here are the final 3 rounds of the GT Academy 2012

Round 6

Round 7

Round 8

Last edited:
Thanks Wardez!Very convinient on the pc.
I pulse the throttle but not as much as this lol!I'll have to try that...Seems to work great on corner exit to maintain traction.

Thanks Wardez!Very convinient on the pc.
I pulse the throttle but not as much as this lol!I'll have to try that...Seems to work great on corner exit to maintain traction.
Current #2 guy seems to pulse the brakes. Not sure I'd b trying that any time soon though ;)
Thanks, Wardez. Might use it as a distraction tomorrow during work...

Thanks for that Wardez ... I was going to do the same thing ... and you did such a good job. You know, having this video, there shouldn't be a reason for anyone not to drive it the same. My problem is the technique of "throwing" yourself through a corner, using the hand brake, I assume. I haven't raced since the last GTA, where I made the first cut, barely. I don't know what most of the racing jargon means. I assume this is using "understeer", but I'm not sure.

I think this is why I'm 2.5 seconds out of the checkered flag. I've been trying it since FixByWire told me to try the handbrake, something I never use, and have cut a 1/10th, so far.

I'll get it eventually. FixByWire is supposed to give me some pointers later tonight.

My problem is I hold the brake just a wee bit too long, which causes the rear to step out. If only we could adjust the brake bias, too much rear brake in this thing.

Thanks guys.

I'm going to be adding a few more videos over the week. I was starting to capture the next fastest driver that used a wheel and no Abs but ran out of time. But I'll be doing a few versions of the fastest times with different respective controller, setting and region types so stay tuned.

Throwing the car into the corner doesn't require the hand brake at all, just proper braking technique (as far as GTA goes). Understeer vs oversteer is easy. Understeer you have gone beyond the front tires limit of grip and therefore 'push' 'plow' 'understeer'. Oversteer you went beyond the limit of the rear tires and either start drifting or completely loop it...or when you try to catch it you tankslap (assuming you don't just catch it and go along your merry way). More jargon, yay!

understeer.jpg

Throwing the car into the corner doesn't require the hand brake at all, just proper braking technique (as far as GTA goes). Understeer vs oversteer is easy. Understeer you have gone beyond the front tires limit of grip and therefore 'push' 'plow' 'understeer'. Oversteer you went beyond the limit of the rear tires and either start drifting or completely loop it...or when you try to catch it you tankslap (assuming you don't just catch it and go along your merry way). More jargon, yay!

understeer.jpg

I had just got an email from Andre (FixByWire) explaining what you just said. That once you start it, you're pretty much out of control, at least with the steering wheel, so it has to be done at just the right time/speed. So it's oversteer that is causing the "grip" and "rotation" to get lined up for the exit.

Of course understanding it and doing it are two entirely different things. There are so many pieces that you have to get right for the great lap. It's stringing them into one run that makes the quantum leap in time. I haven't had one of them in several hours.

BTW That's a great illustration of oversteer and understeer ... now I understand those two terms:)

Kenny

I had just got an email from Andre (FixByWire) explaining what you just said. That once you start it, you're pretty much out of control, at least with the steering wheel, so it has to be done at just the right time/speed. So it's oversteer that is causing the "grip" and "rotation" to get lined up for the exit.

Of course understanding it and doing it are two entirely different things. There are so many pieces that you have to get right for the great lap. It's stringing them into one run that makes the quantum leap in time. I haven't had one of them in several hours.

BTW That's a great illustration of oversteer and understeer ... now I understand those two terms:)

Kenny

hah, that's funny you mention Mr. Gomes.

here's a video of his hotlap I uploaded last year. We sure do have it easy compared to the knock out rounds last year. We had to do stuff like this. And notice in this lap he actually uses the e-brake, blips rather, to get the car rotating for a tight combination on this long and complex custom Toscana tarmac course:

i've noticed from the replay of the top US time that he'll turn in hard and downshift to second then lift off and get right back into third, even though you're not using 2nd it really helps to whip the car around the apex without oversteer, the only thing is you have to nail the turn-in just right

hah, that's funny you mention Mr. Gomes.

here's a video of his hotlap I uploaded last year. We sure do have it easy compared to the knock out rounds last year. We had to do stuff like this. And notice in this lap he actually uses the e-brake, blips rather, to get the car rotating for a tight combination on this long and complex custom Toscana tarmac course:

We were just talking about that very track a few minutes ago, and how he used the hand brake. He said he did it because he could do it over and over without getting killed, until he got it right:)

Kenny

Thanks for uploading. First fast replay I have seen as I've yet to get to 8-5 event. I thought this combo my suit me without looking at any GT Academy replays but looks like it won't now. Hopefully I will give this event a go today and see where I stack up.

Someone who has the technique required to go fast like in that replay is Dan, hopefully he gives it a go. samurai_405 proving again, he is insanely fast with a pad.

Thanks for your topic and share. I was just thinking to open a threat asking for this :D

A7XMaverick's 1'31.141. #1 in the U.S. at the time of this post:

He was about a millimeter away from rage face exiting the last corner, haha. Extremely smooth driving. I'm running the same line more or less...just not as precise :(.

I still have a hard time with shifting up to third mid turn haha, I know I can do a low 32 without doing the shift to 3rd but if I want a 31 I think I am going to have to adapt.

understeer.jpg

I think it was Andretti that said "the brakes aren't just for slowing the car, they are also for rotating it."

Thanks, pretty useful, in the corners where amo quickly shifts down to 2nd, and then up to 3rd when traction is nearly gone. I don't do this, seems to lessen the wheelspin, i guess this might be one of the reasons why i'm losing time. Is 1:32.044 good on a pad, and do you think it's possible to knock off 0.5 off my time? :indiff:

From the testing I did second is useful to get the back end out, once you know your going to hit the apex you can either accelerate in second (Possible but you will have to judge when the cars going to loose traction) or shift to 3rd and flat it (A slight 4 wheel drift is what your after to maximize the speed through the corner)

From the testing I did second is useful to get the back end out, once you know your going to hit the apex you can either accelerate in second (Possible but you will have to judge when the cars going to loose traction) or shift to 3rd and flat it (A slight 4 wheel drift is what your after to maximize the speed through the corner)
Yes, i am aware of the braking technique, been using this since gt5 came out. I never shift up during the corner to 3rd, maybe this is where i am losing time? I do usually have a bit of wheelspin but i have a very small amount of throttle, so if im in 3rd i won't have any worries and i can exit the corner better, which is what i want for the last 2 corners.

Still, gonna be hard to get much more time, although i did go from a 32.7 to a 32.0 in 2 days so i'll just have to persevere. :grumpy:

**EDIT** Ahhhh thanks tidgney, the 3rd gear thing helps me a lot in the 3 corner, i actually managed to catch up with the ghost in that corner i probably gained 0.1 seconds, i was like "cool". I messed up the first corner too. :D

**EDIT 2** Just got a 1:31.841, thanks to the 3rd gear technique, still have a few areas i can improve in though. :)

**EDIT 3** 1:31.720

:) Closer, thought i had a top 16, so close. More practice..... Zzzzzzzzzz

Last edited:
Congrats Eddie on your entry to the top 32. Now you can really put the hammer down!

Glad to see you throwing down some laps my friend. 👍

D'aww Reese thanks a lot! Just following in your foot steps bro. But yes, these next few days will be some to remember. Gonna have to work hard and find more time before i'd feel comfortable enough to make it to Nationals. The one thing keeping my head up is that my record I have now was done on a lap I messed up on so I know there's more, just gotta grab it! Time to pedal!

Although I'm at work now :P so I'll just have to day dream.

Holy balls, active steering is a MASSIVE benefit. I saw guys talking about going on 10 lap sessions and was so confused as I could only do a few laps at a time before I inevitably spun. A little annoying, to be honest, but nice to figure out after being stuck in the 1:33 range.

I really don't like the way AS makes my wheel feel. I'll be mid-turn and it'll jerk over, I just can't deal with that so I do much better without, that or I just haven't figured out how to benefit from it somehow.

But I'd imagine on a controller it could help more.

I'm gonna be posting a video of the fastest time without AS compared to the fastest AS assisted time later today, side-by-side thing. That way we can immediately see where it's most beneficial or not.

What's your wheel settings? Sounds strange what your describing, to me anyway, the only difference it makes to me is increasing understeer and helps keep control when the back end slides. I put it on because I have no traction out of corners without it, it spins out easily when I put the throttle on. With AS I can get on the power earlier.

Back