Video game pet peeves.

Having barely any room for item storage. I'm playing Pokemon Blue right now and having to constantly throw out items that I'm carrying to pick up another item is really frustrating.

Having barely any room for item storage. I'm playing Pokemon Blue right now and having to constantly throw out items that I'm carrying to pick up another item is really frustrating.
I constantly am forced to run back to the Pokemon Centre to access my Items PC

Another Pet Peeve, HM requires. The most laziest way to force someone to face a certain Gym Leader (what happened to the days where later on you could face the Gym Leaders out of order?). Gen III was the worst with this trope and one of the main reasons why I think Gen III is the worst Gen (still like it though).

None of the HM moves are any good except for Surf, Waterfall and Fly. Thank god Gen V started the trend where only 1 HM was required to beat the game (B/W was Cut while B2/W2/X/Y was Surf)

I don't know if it was the largest map but it was pretty damn big... I recently played through FUEL and drove the length of the main east/west highway that goes [almost] straight across the map and it was about 90 miles one-way. Just Cause 2 was probably bigger but I don't know what else is.
Actually, FUEL was much, much larger than Just Cause 2.
Z5dCVX9l.jpg
I also really liked the game but it sure did try to upset me. The low top speed of every vehicle was maybe the only thing that upset me even more than the evil, teleporting AI (and an invisible tree I crashed into that cost me a very long race). It has some beautiful atmosphere and landscape but the barren, desolate wasteland gets lonely after a while. Strange to think it was intended to be an MMOR like TDU or The Crew, after a few attempts at switching to online mode I never met anyone and gave up on that. Maybe one day they can make a similar map for (or port this one to) some other game.

I constantly am forced to run back to the Pokemon Centre to access my Items PC
My Items Storage is full in my PC :lol:
Another Pet Peeve, HM requires. The most laziest way to force someone to face a certain Gym Leader (what happened to the days where later on you could face the Gym Leaders out of order?). Gen III was the worst with this trope and one of the main reasons why I think Gen III is the worst Gen (still like it though).
Not just that, having to constantly juggle between Pokemon that I taught a HM is a pain. I know that I could just make one Pokemon a HM slave, but I hate doing that.

>When my controller dies midway during a very intense firefight in COD with your team loses due to being very crap at attacking back and having LMG's and Sentry Guns placed at your spawn and at the end of the place, some **** with his party says "Ya'll are trash" when clearly if you have to spawntrap in a core game mode, that means you suck... I really hate playing BO1,MW3, and BO2, no matter what FPS you play... Some **** always have to ruin it<

When a game has optional random events that punish you for not taking them.

I'm not talking about games like XCOM where you have to manage your resources carefully in case of such an emergency, I'm talking about games like NFS Carbon with its random territory takeovers (which are really just a mild annoyance rather than anything serious) and Juiced with its incredibly annoying respect system where you can (and will) lose a ton of respect by refusing some dude's Pink Slip challenge.

Actually, FUEL was much, much larger than Just Cause 2.
Z5dCVX9l.jpg
I also really liked the game but it sure did try to upset me. The low top speed of every vehicle was maybe the only thing that upset me even more than the evil, teleporting AI (and an invisible tree I crashed into that cost me a very long race). It has some beautiful atmosphere and landscape but the barren, desolate wasteland gets lonely after a while. Strange to think it was intended to be an MMOR like TDU or The Crew, after a few attempts at switching to online mode I never met anyone and gave up on that. Maybe one day they can make a similar map for (or port this one to) some other game.

Amazingly, FUEL is still 1/11th the size of the largest game map of all time, 5,560 sq. miles compared to Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall at an ungodly 62,394 sq. miles, and almost all explorable.

I wanted to love FUEL, "more Codemasters awesomeness" is what I tried to tell myself, but I didn't even get 5% completion before I gave up on it. The cars felt like they were crawling, there was almost nothing to see and by the time I quit it I was tired of dealing with it's BS on terrain and AI.

When a game has optional random events that punish you for not taking them.

I'm not talking about games like XCOM where you have to manage your resources carefully in case of such an emergency, I'm talking about games like NFS Carbon with its random territory takeovers (which are really just a mild annoyance rather than anything serious) and Juiced with its incredibly annoying respect system where you can (and will) lose a ton of respect by refusing some dude's Pink Slip challenge.

The bolded, this. ALL OF THIS! GODDAMN THAT GAME! If you sneeze in a certain direction it can change your respect levels, and the difficulty from the first to second pink slip race is idiotic.....fitting of the game I guess.

The bolded, this. ALL OF THIS! GODDAMN THAT GAME! If you sneeze in a certain direction it can change your respect levels, and the difficulty from the first to second pink slip race is idiotic.....fitting of the game I guess.

Come 2nd in a crew race because your AI teammate doesn't know how to overtake? Lose respect. AI crashes into you? Lose respect. Don't respond to a random bet? Lose respect. Don't put all the latest ugly bodykits on your car? Lose respect. Don't want to lose your new car in a Pink Slip race (because all the random Pink Slip challenges are for the highest class, and when you buy a new car, it's likely that it might be in the highest class you can get at the time)? Lose respect. Can't be bothered to do the challenge-hosting races because you'll just have to do them again if you lose too much respect, which is going to happen? Lose respect.

I don't enjoy a rhythm game that requires you to release a hold note when it ends. It becomes 45% more difficult for me to play because I usually pay attention to where I hold that note which leaves me room for error for any extra notes that play alongside a hold note. It's more natural if we could still hold it after the hold note ends.

Mind-Reading A.I

People defend it saying it is just a coincidence or people who struggle suck but I'm fairly certain there are A.I wait until you put input for them to do something which always counters what you are planning to do.

Battle Maison is probably the worst situation I ever witness. I had a Dragon Type and my Opponent could learn Surf though it was a Dragon/Flying. So I switched to a Rock type hoping to get it by a Dragon move but somehow the A.I was not only able to know I had a Rock type with me, but I was going to switch to it, so it ends up getting OHKO by Surf.

Forced replays

Rise of the Tomb Raider has this really good system aimed at improving the replay value - you can replay any chapter you like, and introduce modifiers to make the game more difficult, like giving enemies the ability to dodge mêlée attacks or limiting the availability of ammo. This system also has challenges that reward you with in-game currency that can be spent on more modifiers.

This is fine, but with the Cold Darkness Awakens DLC, the system was changed - now, the only way to unlock achievements is to nominate specific challenges related to them, and since there are more achievements than there are challenge slots, you're forced to play the campaign over and over again.

Not just that, having to constantly juggle between Pokemon that I taught a HM is a pain. I know that I could just make one Pokemon a HM slave, but I hate doing that.

Same deal with me, what's the point in a Pokemon that you aren't even going to raise?

There are fan games out there, like Pokemon Zeta, where you can acquire 'Field Items' which are Key Items that do the functions of HMs in case you don't have a Pokemon with that HM in your party; Machette for Cut, Surfboard for Surf, Pickaxe for Rock Smash and so on. Very useful indeed.

Infinitely respawning enemies. Can't recall how many times I've said "I've killed more of you 🤬 than all the deaths in Star Wars movies, where the 🤬 are you coming from?!?!"

Also I'd like to nominate inconsistent physics, whatever aspect you've dealt with. Playing Flatout 2 half the time debris wouldn't affect your car one lap, but the next that same piece of junk could cause you to lose speed, get knocked sideways, or even kick you into the air, then it may or may not happen again. Then in other games there's the problem of you racing a number of tanks in a tin can, or at least you think that when their AI disregards your existence and punts you into the next county, likely resulting in you becoming a pinball for the rest of the field.

In Dragon Ball Xenoverse, some of the AI controlled characters will spam the same ultimate attack over and over again. It fricken aggrevates me to a point of me yelling at my screen.

Infinitely respawning enemies.

Not infinite re-spawning but I've always hated how the Uncharted series works. You're in an area with say 6 guys, if you kill them all silently that can be it but if you kill 5 silently and then the last one sees you, suddenly 10 more guys appear instantly.

Then you have the areas where it doesn't matter, even if you kill all 6 silently the second wave will come right as you kill the last one, out of nowhere.

Not infinite re-spawning but I've always hated how the Uncharted series works. You're in an area with say 6 guys, if you kill them all silently that can be it but if you kill 5 silently and then the last one sees you, suddenly 10 more guys appear instantly.

Then you have the areas where it doesn't matter, even if you kill all 6 silently the second wave will come right as you kill the last one, out of nowhere.

I just had that happen the other night in Uncharted 3. I'll admit to finding the stealth aspect a little wonky, but I was proud of finally clearing an area without being detected. So to then have a second wave materialize was just demoralizing: why bother putting in the effort to stealth kill?

Indeed, some areas are simply impossible to stealth because of the pre-determined game mechanic but you have no way of knowing that going into it, so you constantly wonder if it was your fault and you got spotted or if it was impossible not to be spotted, because the game decides you have to be.

It's a great series but certainly does have many flaws.

NPCs who say stupid things

Playing Assassin's Creed Unity, I keep hearing thugs who call out "come back here - I'll serve you up my famous 'tooth explosion'!" and I end up thinking "that's the last thing that I want"?

Gameplay "features" that only serve to slow you down

Don't get me wrong - I am really enjoying Assassin's Creed Unity. But it has this lock-picking function which does nothing except prevent you from getting access to to treasure chests until later in the game.

Yearly releases that cut useful features from title to title

Assassin's Creed is a big offender here. The underrated Revelations had a grenade-crafting feature that allowed you to gather ingredients and allowed you to create unique combinations. It was fairly basic; it only allowes you to change the fuse length, area of effect, and the primary ingredients, but it allowed you to introduce a degree of flexibility, and with a bit of work, it could have been really useful (it kind of reminded me of Rikku's "Mix" Overdrive in Final Fantasy X). But then Ubisoft cut it from Assassin's Creed III.

Then again, it's not always a bad thing when content is cut. Assassin's Creed III had a really complex crafting system that was very difficult to penetrate and make the game more engaging.

When Microsoft decides to take down dlc packs off of fricken XBOX LIIIVE!
Now, because of them; I'll never be able to drive a Nismo Z-Tune Skyline GT-R in PGR3.

:mad:

Crash cutscenes in racing games. They make sense in Burnout but in other racing games (looking at you, Criterion NFS games) they're really irritating and often end up making me lose a race.
Yes! They did make sense in Burnout games, but I still hated them even then. I REALLY hate them in NFS games because sometimes in the time it takes to show that stupid cutscene, I could be moving on and getting away.

Collisions with Invisable objects/walls

Another massive annoyance with some racing sims. Nothing says aggravation like when you're driving and you hit something you don't even see. "That's quite a gap you're building, would be shame if it were to suddenly..disappear" Or my personal favorite of mine from the earlier Codemasters F1 games "What a race you've had and quite a clean car too, would be a shame if it wear all to suddenly..end in that corner"
Yea I hate these as well, I think a lot of games have them, which is unfortunate. It's even more annoying in games with very sensitive collision detection.

Last edited:
Infinitely respawning enemies. Can't recall how many times I've said "I've killed more of you 🤬 than all the deaths in Star Wars movies, where the 🤬 are you coming from?!

Yep, I hate this too. The original Turok is terrible with it.

Latest Posts

Back