[VIDEO] Pedal & Wheel action on Cape Ring - 2:47.156 CLEAN

• Thread starter TRC_Hunk
  • 65 comments
I ran a 2:47.7 tonight. My arms are killing me (I think I am now the 3rd highest controller user on the boards). I am 67th overall. outlaw4rc is right above me at 66th :P

Damn that makes me feel slow using a wheel and all haha.

Just got a 2.48.3 this morning...slowly but surely I'm bringing down the time. I lose a lot of it in the last sector Ring+last turns.

This brings me to 29th in the SE and 117th overall.

Great work all hangin' in there with a pad, but is it really worth the bother as you will need to be fast with a wheel in later stages anyway.

There are some AMAZING pad players though, see this board from the last academy. Courtecy of the zabeu, great work with the site there buddy (see the icon for pad)

http://www.gtdb.net/?tt

So, I did lose to a pad player!! :lol: Well, I wasn't the only one... ok, maybe the JP had 2 weeks more time to run but that doesnt take anything off the achievement. 👍 :bowdown:

I ran a 2:47.7 tonight. My arms are killing me (I think I am now the 3rd highest controller user on the boards). I am 67th overall. outlaw4rc is right above me at 66th :P
...and I have no intentions of staying there either. :sly:

Well, if I can ever figure out how to attack T21 without crashing the car into the wall, that is. :lol:

Great work all hangin' in there with a pad, but is it really worth the bother as you will need to be fast with a wheel in later stages anyway.

Yes, I intend on at least getting a poster. My DFGT is in the mail. I'm fairly certain I will be competitive.

Also, wheel-to-wheel is going to be a whole new game, which I know you are aware of. And we still don't know if they will allow the Hunk-brake mod at finals either.:confused:

Even though it's quick and non-destructive I doubt they'll be too kind with the idea of displaying the flaws in the official hardware so boldly. But I'd bring bungees to sell just in case.

God I wish I could Kaz I wish I could turn off the split timing! I'll be racing my own ghost and as soon as I see that -.300 at a check I start shaking and throw it all away.

+1 I wish there was a way to turn it off so I could just focus on driving. Even if I try to ignore the splits I still notice the color of the split time.

You can't turn the splits off in the HUD? That stinks, I like to drive with NOTHING on screen as long as I can use cockpit.

You can turn everything off, I think, but that is everything. Not sure if it's the same within this event.

Its either everything off or everything on. I wish it wasnt like that because man does that fuel gauge just piss me off. Same with the G meter, who looks at that thing anyway?

Amazing video. Thanks a bunch. I'm like 9 seconds down and thought I'd give up, but after this video I'll give it another go.

Knocked a second off after like 4 20 minute sessions today. I'll have to try that bungie cord modification cause I do think that could help quite a bit.

Last edited:
I got mine closer to 2:50 flat. Working on those last 3 seconds are a pain. Sometimes I'm faster in the first split, sometimes not.

I somehow pulled a 2:47.3 tonight although I'll admit it wasn't 100% clean.

On the lap, I was doing good when I hit the infamous turn 16. I hit the curbing on the left and my car pushed to the outside. I thought I was going to lose control but I somehow hung on but I ended up driving on the grassy part of the track with some more speed than I normally carry (though I did not all the way to the pit road entrance). Since I didn't want to restart, I kept on going thinking I was going to mess up a corner somewhere before start/finish. I then hit turn 21, which has and continues to drive me bananas. By some divine miracle, I absolutely nailed the corner and held ground on the final sector to destroy my 2:47.9 time.

I wish I could had done turn 16 more cleanly but I do admit doing victory burnouts after that lap. :lol:

If I keep looking at other people's fast laps, I might, just might, get a 2:46.x before the 1st round is over. :)

Ugh! I had at least a 2.47.xxx maybe 2.46.xxx up until the exit of the ring when I ran wide into that grassy area heading to the uphill before the sweeping downhill to the last corner.

I'm right on the verge of breaking out a good lap, but can't seem to finish them :/ - I'll get there.

Ugh! I had at least a 2.47.xxx maybe 2.46.xxx up until the exit of the ring when I ran wide into that grassy area heading to the uphill before the sweeping downhill to the last corner.

I'm right on the verge of breaking out a good lap, but can't seem to finish them :/ - I'll get there.

I always ruin laps there. I found that the "40" in the right lane is a good visual indicator for turn-in. A lot of crashes result from an early apex. At or right after that 40 seems to work better, depending on driving style.

I always ruin laps there. I found that the "40" in the right lane is a good visual indicator for turn-in. A lot of crashes result from an early apex. At or right after that 40 seems to work better, depending on driving style.

Thanks for the advice I'll give it a try!

Thanks everyone for the compliments on the vid. Im glad some people are finding it useful. If nothing else, it has gotten you guys to get back on the track and run more laps, and thats a total win. Whether you take away something from the vid or not, just the extra practice alone will surely make your lap times fall.

Finally did it! 2.47.753! Blindside the 40 marker is the perfect spot -thanks for that tip!

Hunk - this vid inspires. Thanks for it!

For those trying to get better times...I will say less is more when it comes to braking...just watch some of the top drivers..some corners they use little to know brake..this was propelled me to go a little faster. I was using too much brake.

For those trying to get better times...I will say less is more when it comes to braking...

Word, if you notice in my vid I don't fully depress the brake pedal a single time. (Well, except for the very start where I calibrate the pedal)

And great job on the lap Peluski! Congrats! Feels good eh? =)

Feels great to finally break the 47 marker, but now the challenge continues with pushing it into the 46's!

On my lap, I noticed I lost a little bit of time on turn 14, turn 17, and the ring. I probably lost a little in a few other places, but these are the big places I noticed.

I know I'm faster based on my sector times...I wish I could turn off the hud so I don't get distracted watching my time.

Peluski, great job at making it to the 47's! That's a damn good lap. Soon you will start finding the little tricks to go a little bit faster.

Finally, someone who appreciates quality footwear. =)

Yah manual, I'm shifting with the paddles/levers.

I usually go bare foot..lol..

You vid even helped me a bit. Although my biggest problem is finding time to actually play the game. 90% of the time i am on...its bspec grinding while i chase a 3 year old all over creation. Sitting at 2:48.1 in just the small amount of time I have played. I am 22nd overall in south, so i think i am safe. May take the sneaky approach and creep silently through the rounds..lol

On a side note....what video editor are you using? Non of mine(MS movie maker or the flip vid editor) can do picture in a picture...that i know of.lol

Another thanks for posting this video. Im gonna have to give it another go now for sure. Looks like I need to try left foot braking as well....

Word, if you notice in my vid I don't fully depress the brake pedal a single time. (Well, except for the very start where I calibrate the pedal)

And great job on the lap Peluski! Congrats! Feels good eh? =)

That's where I was having a ton of trouble. I was treating the brake like a throttle. This vid and Choate's lap are helping me to stay consistent in the 2:49's. Whereas before I was consistent 2:52's.

I feel like I'm hitting a plateau on this course now...I'm losing about a second of my time on the ring portion..does anyone have any tips for this section?

Back