• Thread starter Panoz
  • 246 comments

Panoz

Just a member
Premium
United States
Wise, VA
Panoz-38
As seen in the Gamescom trailer, 18 brands have joined with Polyphony Digital on creating vehicles for Gran Turismo 6. This thread talks about the cars in this project and the theories on their designs and features.

Few cars have been unveiled a little so far:

The Alfa Romeo 6C Biposto (translated to two-seater) looks to be a open top track car.

The BMW Vision seems to be a sharper look to the Vision EfficientDynamics concept.

Volkswagen's Golf Vision briefly showed a large amount of carbon fiber (A race version?)

Personally the Mercedes-Benz car give of the look of their streamliners from the 1930s.

The SRT design might could be the long-rumored Barracuda to replace the Challenger.

Give your opinions or ideas on these cars. :)

Last edited:
Beat me to the Golf Vision :lol:.

Audi = A9?
a9conceptdaniel.jpg

Aston Martin = CC100?
cc100AstonMartin-designboom03.jpg

Alpine = 110-50?
Renault-Alpine-A110-50-06.jpg

Beat me to the Golf Vision :lol:.

Audi = A9?
a9conceptdaniel.jpg

Aston Martin = CC100?
cc100AstonMartin-designboom03.jpg

Alpine = 110-50?
Renault-Alpine-A110-50-06.jpg

I expect them to be far more surreal and experimental than these, apart from the Audi perhaps. Also as far as I'm aware none of those cars were designed in collaboration with Polyphony Digital, which I was under the impression was the idea.

PD say they went to different manufacturers and asked them to design a car that represents Gran Turismo, or something like that. Car designers did the rest.

And I quote...
The project started with a question from Kazunori Yamauchi: "Would you be willing to design your rendition of Gran Turismo for us?"

I find it amazing that PD can just walk up to a manufacturer and demand them to make a car for the game. Back in the GT1 days they'd have to beg for a license :lol: Interesting to see that most are European manufacturers, followed by Japan then America. Though I suppose Europe does have a lot of design studios. And I thought they would have contacted 15 manufaturers to coincide with the 15th Anniversary theme, but the more the merrier ;)

Right. And cars like Nike from GT4 were completely designed by Nike and nothing to do with GT, so I think it'll relate to that more so than GT by Citroen's collaboration.

The Aston Martin looked to be a mid-engine car that seem to be a modern day Bulldog.

A similar design.
HBH-Bulldog-GT-the-Mid-Engined-Aston-V12-Vantage-1.jpg

Well when I think of gran turismo, I think of a bunch of skylines.

Maybe nissan designed a car that is flat and has boxes coming out of it

Nurburgthing.
PD say they went to different manufacturers and asked them to design a car that represents Gran Turismo, or something like that. Car designers did the rest.

And I quote...

And Maserati said we already did that.

does anyone actually have pics (or atleast silouettes) of these cars except for the BMW (which by the way looks like a Gran Turismo themed Stealth Fighter/Transformer)
just curious?

Hmmm, I think those cars will be completely new.

The question is: They'll be for the game only, or they'll really build the concepts like the GT by Citroen?

That would rock!

Hmmm, I think those cars will be completely new.

The question is: They'll be for the game only, or they'll really build the concepts like the GT by Citroen?

That would rock!

During the presentation, they said that some of these will be built. I'm guessing that companies that already are focusing hard on concept cars (like BMW) might build their concept, while others let their car remain on the drawing board.

And worth noting is that by "Gran Turismo", they're not talking about the game, but about the term. So they're not making a car that's representing the essence of a video game, they're making a car that's representing the essence of the grand tourer.

It's nice to see Nike come back to Gran Turismo for their second iteration of the wicked concept car from GT4. Looks like a monowheel.

But what interests me the most is the Air Jordan version that Nike is coming up with. A Nike Two and an Air Jordan accompany?

Couldn't all this effort/money/time have been put to better use with sorting out the big issues like sound or AI or implementing features that people actually want like livery editor etc.
Or i have a good idea, what about actual REAL LIFE CARS!

Isnt this a Honda concept car (GT4 and as a standart in GT5)?

No, it's already been established that car was nothing anyone had ever seen before. Now it seems obvious that it's the Nissan concept car given the trademark GTR lights.
Couldn't all this effort/money/time have been put to better use with sorting out the big issues like sound or AI or implementing features that people actually want like livery editor etc.

Careful now, that's the kind of negative thought that won't be tolerated round here. Someone will be along to explain why we need to love this idea right away!

phil_75

I wonder if people express the same ideas to car companies.

"Stop designing these innovative concept cars and prototypes and focus on the real cars you have in production!"

Seems to me they can do all of the above: model real cars, concept cars and work on other issues all at the same time.

"Stop designing these innovative concept cars and prototypes and focus on the real cars you have in production!"

Seems to me they can do all of the above: model real cars, concept cars and work on other issues all at the same time.

I think some may not realize these innovative concept cars and prototypes may even lead us to even more ground breaking cars in the future. All cars start from a concept. While it may not portray the exact looks or have cost-realistic parts, bits of it can be taken from the prototype and lead to a production model.

Also, we don't even know how these will drive. If say they were all going to be like X2011s or something super hyper-realistic, then that may be concerning. If these concpets turn out GREAT to drive, I'll be real happy. It won't be any different to me than driving "real" cars as long as I'm enjoying driving it.

To me, this spells out huge potential for the automotive industry. I mean if Air Jordan and Nike can branch out to the auto industry, it may be because of Gran Turismo, although very unlikely.

I think some may not realize these innovative concept cars and prototypes may even lead us to even more ground breaking cars in the future. All cars start from a concept. While it may not portray the exact looks or have cost-realistic parts, bits of it can be taken from the prototype and lead to a production model.

I understand that, but I don't want to drive ideas, I want to drive the "real thing" or as close as the game can get it. I don't feel the need for concepts. They clutter the car list anyways.

Just my opinion, waiting to get shot down.

Pretty sure real car companies have a lot more designers and overall staff than PD do. Many concept cars will even be outsourced. So no, it's not the same at all. PD by choice are a small amount of people with limited time and resources that they need to use wisely. They don't have the luxury of being able to do something like this and it not affect their normal workload.

I understand that, but I don't want to drive ideas, I want to drive the "real thing" or as close as the game can get it. I don't feel the need for concepts. They clutter the car list anyways.

Just my opinion, waiting to get shot down.

And that's fair. My conception is that there's no difference whether the car is real (production) or not, as long as it's great to drive, and is realistic (for example Nardo Concept). It's not like I'm going to drive Aventadors in real life and compare it to the game anyway. Plus, it's not really fake to me if actual brands are designing it, so it's not like a Burnout game with fake cars that look real. To me, anyways.

But yeah, what's with the whole getting shot down thing recently? Is it anything new around here that we get shot down for every opinion we have?

I like it, more of these please.

These may not go into production but these cars have design and engineering aspects which we'll see in future cars.

And besides if you don't like them do not buy, drive and look at them, problem solved.

Back