Vision GT: A Great Initiative or a Dying Concept?

• Thread starter NW48
  • 137 comments

Is Vision GT Worth It?

• Total voters
How clueless are you people really?? đź‘Ž

As has been mentioned in this topic, car modelers do NOT do bug fixing, feature adding, or track designing etc. They. Model. Cars. End of story.

This topic is about Vision GT CARS. Not Vision GT bug fixes/features/tracks. Those other things are all being worked on (it's safe to say) by OTHER employees at the company. As well as GT7 (i'm sure/i hope you're aware by now that the next gen games take a hugely long time to make because the consoles are so much more capable).

If you all think programming is so easy and things always go the way you plan without any sort of bugs/compromises and so on, then it's about time to wake up and smell the exhaust fumes. If you think you can do better, how about getting in contact with them and offering your services.

Of course, you will need to show what you are capable of first...

Hmmmmmmm.............

So the guy who modeled the Lotus Elise 111R with the mph speedo that thinks its displaying km/h ( same problem with the GT500 ) is not capable of fixing the bug/problem? The guys who model VGT concepts couldn't possibly be modeling real cars instead, beyond their scope?

"Hey Man I just model the cars, you're going to have to see the bug fixing department about that speedo that doesn't work properly, Im not trained for this stuff"

Give me a break. Some of the stuff you 'defenders of PD's universe' come up with is pathetic.

My two cents on this.

I think the concept of Vision is great in itself. Whether it works is partly dependent upon what the >manufacturer< does with the concept and also on how we perceive it.

For example, some people like the BMW best, but in my eyes it's the least imaginative car and therefore least does what "Vision" is all about.

To be clear I'm not saying either of us is "right" as there is no right or wrong only personal opinion. But the answer above for YOU influences whether YOU think Vision is a success.

What I don't like so much is that we aren't getting many other cars added, so far.

Although that is probably caused by the many concepts, I'd argue ipso facto that doesn't make Vision in itself bad.

What it does is make the indirect results of Vision bad.

If PD had twice the modelling staff you would also get lots of other cars and you're response might therefore be different.

Sorry for the long post but wanted to try to explain properly my two cents and it became about $14 instead lol...

So the guy who modeled the Lotus Elise 111R with the mph speedo that thinks its displaying km/h ( same problem with the GT500 ) is not capable of fixing the bug/problem? The guys who model VGT concepts couldn't possibly be modeling real cars instead, beyond their scope?

"Hey Man I just model the cars, you're going to have to see the bug fixing department about that speedo that doesn't work properly, I'm not trained for this stuff"
I wasn't actually referring to bugs with the cars themselves, and it's a bit petty to pick on something so small as the wrong speedo readout when there are much bigger bugs that are in the game which car designers won't be responsible for.

Not knowing exactly what the structure is however, i may still be right in that car designers only design the cars and maybe programmers sort out the handling/sound/moving parts etc. Neither you or i know for sure, so lets leave it at that.

Give me a break. Some of the stuff you 'defenders of PD's universe' come up with is pathetic.
I know you're not talking about me, because i wasn't just talking about Polyphony specifically. I was talking game design in general.

Games take a hell of a long time to make these days, and as a result of all the processing power machines are capable of there are going to be more bugs/glitches etc that appear which need to be worked on. Sometimes it is the console itself that is causing it (lack of memory for one), so they have to make compromises to get everything to work in harmony, or as close to it as possible. If you know anything at all about programming or even web design, its that sometimes there seems to be no way around certain bugs, or it takes a long time to find a solution.

And i decided to fix your quote, because it is equally as 'pathetic' (to borrow your word) as your original one;

Give me a break. Some of the stuff you 'attackers of PD's universe' come up with is pathetic.

I am a fan of Polyphony, yes, but there are a huge amount of things in the series i don't like. Thankfully though, there are just enough good things to keep me coming back.

Last edited:
I do like the VGT project, I really do. But if it's taking PD's time from modeling real cars, especially for the fact that many of these VGT cars has no interiors and aren't customizable, than I honestly rather have real cars for free or to pay over these "things" called concept cars. Plus some manufacturers are taking the lazy route and are using existing or basing on thier existing cars to create these things. See Toyota, BMW, Mitsubishi and Volkswagon for example.

This project would be good if made properly.
They should have saved it to ps4 or whenever they can manage to make good sounds for those concepts. It's embarrassing to manufacturers to see their work treated that way. Just watch the Aston Martin presentation video and you will see how much they care about the sound of their cars, and then, listen to it in the game. I'm sure all manufacturers are pissed right now to see their jobs ruined by laughable sounds.
Sorry if I sound rude, just being honest.

VBR
I'm very surprised at the poll results so far; about 65% think it's great, whilst 25% think it's a waste of time. I guess I'm in the minority.
You've also got the other 9.2%ish that varies with project and can join either side. I picked that option because the quality of the whole VGT can vary immensely. Right now I'm leaning towards the 25% with that new FT-1 VGT.

VBR
I'm very surprised at the poll results so far; about 65% think it's great, whilst 25% think it's a waste of time. I guess I'm in the minority.
It's hard to quantify without a visible alternative. We might get a different answer is you threw up 30 real world alternatives and said, "Would you give up these 30 real cars for 30 VGT cars", and the 30 included a premium Supra, a couple of E30's and a few other special cars. I'm sure at least some people look at this as VGT vs. getting nothing, in which case yeah, it's a great idea.

It's a 15th anniversary project.
It's not meant to replace other cars, nor should have been held off for the PS4.

"We are extremely grateful to all of our design partners in this project for their amazing birthday present to Gran Turismo to celebrate the franchise’s 15 year anniversary, and are so excited to share this gift with our fans."

And guaranteed if they didn't put these cars in the game, there would be people here screaming about broken promises.

It's a 15th anniversary project.
It's not meant to replace other cars, nor should have been held off for the PS4.

"We are extremely grateful to all of our design partners in this project for their amazing birthday present to Gran Turismo to celebrate the franchise’s 15 year anniversary, and are so excited to share this gift with our fans."

And guaranteed if they didn't put these cars in the game, there would be people here screaming about broken promises.
It does replace other cars. Cars aren't modeled out of thin air, they are modeled by people, who could otherwise be working on real life cars.

I'll just say that I'm not a fan of the concept. I'm in the boat with those that would prefer real cars. More than that, I would prefer more avenues to make use of those real cars--and I don't mean simply tracks.
Having said that...I fear the manufacturers may be a little discouraged and hesitant to work on their concepts if they've seen and don't approve of the way the currently available cars have been rolled out--the obligatory funky alignments and missing interiors being at the top of my list (the latter doesn't really matter to me, but may to the designers).

Hate to bump an old thread of mine, but we're now deep into the Vision GT project, and I want to see if some people's views have changed, and judging by some comments I've read, it may indeed change. :lol:

I've edited the poll so you can change your vote, so let's see those opinions!

My opinion still hasn't changed much with VGT still being more of a collaboration gimmick.

I've got a bit of a mixed view on it now, after giving it a year or so to play out.

I think it's a brilliant idea and has generated some great designs from brands that previously we didn't know could deliver that good of a car, in terms of design.

I also believe, that in one aspect, it's failed a bit. It was suppose to be a celebration of GT's 15th Anniversary, something that has passed a while ago now. Even with the one's that have been released so far, they released without much... celebration. I mean, asides from being a showcase for car brands and future designs, the main point of Vision GT was to celebrate GT's anniversary, and I feel that it's missed that target. Big time. That was probably the thing I most looked forward to in Vision GT was the celebration of GT.

Then there's this lingering feeling that it's really detracting from time and resources that could be better spent elsewhere, improving apsects of the game that fail to meet expectations.

I appreciate the effort that PD puts into implementing these cars, I mean, redesigning the physics engine every time a new VGT comes out, must take a lot of effort, especially if that said car comes with a frickin' laser beam as an engine. :lol:

In short, I'm undecided with Vision GT currently, so I'm gonna have to say, maybe, but it really depends.

Alpine really benefited from this program as far as i see their efforts.
The press reaction to Renault's VGT took me by suprise as I thought it would be one of the few VGT's that fly under the radar, but was I wrong. :lol:

It's certainly been a great initiative from the manufacturer's point of view, but from some of the gamers point of view it's sort of deprived them from getting 'real' cars.

VGT Idead - brilliant!
Why? Because it gives great oppurtunity for automakers to put something out there.

VGT from my perspective - terrible!
Why? I would rather have 12 new real cars rather than cars drawn on paper that are fantasy for the most part. Also, it has taken way more time than they have probably predicted. I want Course Maker. Not fake cars. :mad:

1. Holy 🤬, I know you NW48!
2. I think it isn't worth it. Would you rather all the cars that FH2 has added (about 50) or 20 unique ones? Literally the only thing we got was the TS030, M4 and FT-1, and we got those by september. I would like some normal, fast, relatively new CARS!!!

VGT is good. The problem is that it seems to be used as an excuse by PD to not release new real cars, not even as paid dlc.

VGT Idead - brilliant!
Why? Because it gives great oppurtunity for automakers to put something out there.

VGT from my perspective - terrible!
Why? I would rather have 12 new real cars rather than cars drawn on paper that are fantasy for the most part. Also, it has taken way more time than they have probably predicted. I want Course Maker. Not fake cars. :mad:
Modelling cars is unlikely to use the same development resources as developing the course maker.

VGT is great to see the concept cars that wont make it to the road in the game.
But once the game completes all the VGTs i think it will stop from there.
Cuz PD doesnt give us real cars.. but i dont complain about the VGTs, but the question is what then when they added all VGTs?

You come back from work and you get a cake - nothing else just the cake.

The next day you get another cake - a different cake, tasty cake but still - the only thing you eat is the cake.

Well then - how about the cake for another 365 days ? It won't be the same cake :sly:

That is GT6 and VGTs - no steaks, no fish, no salads, no potatoes just the 🤬 cakes.

It all started well but soon after you realized that...

The_cake_is_a_lie.jpg

:D

My initial thoughts on the VGT was positive. I thought this would be good for manufacturers to show case their ideas and promote their image. In GT5 we had the new Corvette, which seemed a win win situation all round, so with the Vision concept in GT6 I thought PD were making good steps forward in the franchise.
Where we got DLC car packs in GT5, it would have been nice in GT6 to get a few real cars along with the Vision car, but yet again PD or Kaz seem to have ideas and then don't know what to do with them or think them through.
I do think VGT is good, it's just more needs to be done with it.

real car manufacters designing cars for GT is not something to undervalue just because they're not real.
i, that like design, am allways curious to see the next VGT and have fun driving them! its a design project not a simulation trial. even without their performances tested in real world or an actual interior, VGTs are a very good thing to have in GT (imo). real car manufactors, good and professional designs, game brand associated, i doubt turn10 or SMS would not love to have this project happening inside their games. there are things to complain about GT, VGT is not one (imo).

real car manufacters designing cars for GT is not something to undervalue just because they're not real.
i, that like design, am allways curious to see the next VGT and have fun driving them! its a design project not a simulation trial. even without their performances tested in real world or an actual interior, VGTs are a very good thing to have in GT (imo). real car manufactors, good and professional designs, game brand associated, i doubt turn10 or SMS would not love to have this project happening inside their games. there are things to complain about GT, VGT is not one (imo).
I also don't doubt other devs would be interested in VGT's, but I do doubt that T10 in particular would use the VGT's as the majority of their DLC, especially given T10 prolific output. SMS I don't think would be interested, not at this time anyway. Very small team, very small budget, they don't have the time or resources at this time for a project of this nature. Next time around might be different.

I also don't doubt other devs would be interested in VGT's, but I do doubt that T10 in particular would use the VGT's as the majority of their DLC, especially given T10 prolific output. SMS I don't think would be interested, not at this time anyway. Very small team, very small budget, they don't have the time or resources at this time for a project of this nature. Next time around might be different.
not many but PD gave us some real cars and we have a real LMP2 coming soon.

having VGT happening, PD dont need to rush the release of too many real cars, what would they have for GT7 release?
it's a smart moove from PD to save as many new cars for GT7 as possible since "car count" will add value.

about T10, you might be right, that "prolific output", they can do it. .... somehow... with help, i think.
SMS, would decline only if for the "small budget" because VGT does good for any game brand.

Back