Vive Le France - 2007 Magny Cours Grand Prix

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sureboss
  • 115 comments
  • 4,478 views
Bee

Well they have a Charity Open Day at the factory on July 15th, 15 quid to get in for Adults, 6 for children, I'll tell them then.
That's a pretty greedy charity.
 
Well i would go, and Lee lives like a couple mins away from it.
 
I saw Alonso pass him, and I nodded off for a bit, and then Fisi took it back. Uh... OK...

Yeah, Alonso’s stops were just timed badly and he lost all his ground that he made up. His second pit stop was at the half way point, where McLaren then decided to switch him from a 3 stopper to a 2 stopper. Go strategy.
 
Well Alonso can’t simply blame it on poor team strategy. After all, with 15 laps to go, he was only a second behind Fisichela and about 4 seconds behind Heidfeld, more than enough time to pass them both, but he actually lost a little bit of time on them both by the end.
 
I missed this race because I was at a Christening/1st Birthday party! However, I did catch a quick look at the race about mid-way through and saw Alonso overtake someone at one of the chicanes, and also saw Hamilton pass Kubica (?) after coming out the pits... looks like I missed a good race :indiff:

Anyway, reading the newspaper this morning, it's interesting to note that the Big Four have all now won two races each, yet Hamilton is 14 pts clear! It's looking good for him, but Ferrari might just spoil the party yet... however, things bode well since Ferrari clearly have no #1 driver this season either, and if Hamilton can keep his head and keep notching up those podiums, he's going to be difficult to beat unless one driver can consistently keep winning - which isn't happening so far...
 
The race wasn't that good TM, half of it was watchin Alonso trying to overtake in stupid positions. After 4/5 attempts you'd have thought he'd have realised that he couldn't overtake around the outside at the hairpin.
 
And then you complain that there are no overtaking in F1, get real.
 
Well Alonso can’t simply blame it on poor team strategy. After all, with 15 laps to go, he was only a second behind Fisichela and about 4 seconds behind Heidfeld, more than enough time to pass them both, but he actually lost a little bit of time on them both by the end.

Well to be fair he was on the harder tyres whilst both Fisichella and Heidfeld were on the faster, softer tyres for their final stints.
 
Albers took the fuel hose with him. What's with the rise in pit boo-boos in the past year or so? It really could have been dangerous; but that's definately one of the strangest retirements from a race I've ever heard of.

Raikkonen drove a cool race, and it must have been those fast in-laps that gave him the advantage; it sort of reminded me of another long-time Ferrari driver, his name escapes me right now...

That's the worst performance by Lewis Hamilton I've ever seen. Ha ha.
 
So what's the state of play with the French GP? Will it exist next year at another track or will it be replaced with a Bernie Ecclestone Supreme Leader of Asian Money GP?

Well what they said was that there will be a GP in France but the french governing body (i cant remember the proper name) want to move the race to a track they can sell more tickets for as Magny-Cours is a bit isolated.
 
Bee
Well to be fair he was on the harder tyres whilst both Fisichella and Heidfeld were on the faster, softer tyres for their final stints.

There’s a reason why everyone used hard tyres for the majority of the race, and it’s not because they were slow. :p
 
Hamilton making excuses, or perhaps the truth?

Lewis Hamilton has attempted to play down talk that Ferrari had returned to the top of the Formula One pecking order at Magny-Cours, claiming that he had not been able to properly challenge for victory in the French Grand Prix.

The Briton, who arrived in France with a ten-point lead in the world championship and riding the back of two successive Grand Prix victories, qualified second to split the two Ferraris on the grid, but pitted before either Felipe Massa or Kimi Raikkonen and, having been jumped by the Finn at the start, never rose above third place all afternoon.

"I didn't get off to the best start - all I saw was Kimi come flying past," he reflected, "I just had to try and stay as close as possible.

"I think I had good pace at the beginning - I was slightly quicker than Kimi - and I thought I had to try my hardest to get past, but you get to a certain distance and you just lose downforce.

"I lost a lot of downforce behind Kimi through turn three, and lost a bit of pace to him, so I wasn't able to slipstream him down the straight [to Adelaide]. Unless you're much much quicker - seconds quicker - you won't get past."

Despite being stuck behind both Massa and Raikkonen - who reversed their positions at the final pit-stop after the Brazilian had been affected by traffic - and coming home more than 30 seconds behind the Finn, Hamilton insisted that the result did not do justice to what he believed was still a close battle between F1's two current superpowers.

"I don't think it is worrying - it shows they have made a good step forward and they obviously had a very good strategy which worked slightly better than ours today," he said.

"At the end, when I came out of my third pit stop I knew that I was 20 seconds already behind so there was no point in wrenching the neck out of the engine. I just relaxed and kept that position.

"You can't win every race, and the most important thing is that you are consistent, which I think we are. I am not disappointed. I don't like being overtaken, but that's the same for everyone, and this is the first race that I've been overtaken.

"It was inevitable at some point, but the fact is that we have finished on the podium again and we are the most consistent team. I think we are doing a better job.

"Ferrari made a good improvement, a good step forward at Silverstone, but we made a step forward too. It's just that, this weekend, when you are behind people, it is a lot harder to show true pace.

"I don't think they were as quick as they looked today. Yes, there was a big gap, but traffic and strategy had a lot to do with that. I am sure we can bounce back at the next race.

"I still think that we will be extremely competitive at Silverstone. I know that the team is working very very hard back at the factory to keep on improving, and that, when we go to the next race, we will be even quicker.

"I'm feeling fairly confident. As long as we continue with the reliability that we have, the consistency, then I don't see why we won't be able to fight for the win."

Much has been made of Hamilton returning to Silverstone as championship leader and, with McLaren team-mate Fernando Alonso finishing only seventh, the gap between them has extended to 13 points as the British Grand Prix nears.

Far from feeling the pressure of living up to expectation in front of his home crowd, however, the rookie is positively looking forward to the experience.

"I keep saying that I didn't even expect to finish on the podium in my first race, let alone eight races in the season, so I am very happy with the job that I have done and the job that the team have done," he concluded.

"I think that going into my first Silverstone grand prix in the team that I have always wanted to drive for and leading the world championship is one of the greatest feelings that a driver can have."
 
And then you complain that there are no overtaking in F1, get real.

He couldn't get past in the end, so it wasn't overtaking ;)

There wasn't much overtaking yesterday.
 
He couldn't get past in the end, so it wasn't overtaking ;)

There wasn't much overtaking yesterday.

Well there is if you were watching Lewis Hamilton.And yeah,i think McLaren would make a great comeback at Silverstone.Hamilton could be happy as the current leader and to race at his home grand prix with a British team.Its like a dream come true for him.....

As for Alonso,lets just face it.Hamilton has outperformed him in all the races.Could Hamilton actually be scaring Alonso from performing? Alonso should try to cope with Hamilton and try to resume as the leader of the team again.....

How many time did i say Hamilton? :dunce:
 
This was the first race that watched in its entirety in a while. It was somewhat devoid of drama. Like eveyone else I didn't understand Mclaren's strategy with Alonso. The Ferraris look very good yesterday. Silverstone should be very interesting next week.
 
Alonso was supposed to do a 3 stop strategy but switched to a two-stop on his second stop.
 
The race wasn't that good TM, half of it was watchin Alonso trying to overtake in stupid positions. After 4/5 attempts you'd have thought he'd have realised that he couldn't overtake around the outside at the hairpin.
Alonso plays headgames with the people in front of him, confusing and/or surprising them (see: Heidfeld at Imola chicane and Schumacher at 130R). Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. (His pit strategies, however, never work). At any rate, the Adelaide hairpin is probably the easiest corner on the calendar to pull off an outside or double-pass, because of it's geometry and width. This means there is almost no penalty (time) for trying, unless you really botch it.

Also, I am now totally convinced that Albers is a robot. He is programmed to leave the pits after 8 seconds of remaining stationary. This also explains why he performs equally poor at every race, and wrecks the car when his system farts and reboots, often at inexplicable times.
 
If Alonso had been left on his original 3 stop strategy (which was chosen before his gearbox problem in Q3 and couldn't be changed before the race), he would probably have finished in 9th position. Changing him to a 2 stopper meant he kept track position on Rosberg and Button.
 
If he had an engine change, would he still have to stick to the strategy?
 
If he had an engine change, would he still have to stick to the strategy?
Only if his pre-penalty qualifying time was good enough for the top 10. But he didn't have an engine change.
 
At any rate, the Adelaide hairpin is probably the easiest corner on the calendar to pull off an outside or double-pass, because of it's geometry and width.

Only if you get past them under braking. Unless you hit that apex you’re not going to come out of the corner first.
 
Well what they said was that there will be a GP in France but the french governing body (i cant remember the proper name) want to move the race to a track they can sell more tickets for as Magny-Cours is a bit isolated.
I think the FFSA is the French governing body that oversaw(if that's a word) the race. I sort have forgotten what the initals stand for.:p

As for the track, I believe I heard something about the next French GP taking place at a track near Paris. Though I don't know if it's an existing track or one that is in the works.
 
Fédération Française du Sport Automobile.

I think Paul Ricard might sadly be the only viable option for a while...
 
I think the FFSA is the French governing body that oversaw(if that's a word) the race. I sort have forgotten what the initals stand for.:p

As for the track, I believe I heard something about the next French GP taking place at a track near Paris. Though I don't know if it's an existing track or one that is in the works.
I was probably the one who posted that. There will be no French Grand Prix; the first time in over fifty years that the nation has not hosted a round of the World Championship. However, when France rejoins the Championship, it will be at a new circuit which is currently in the works (though I have no idea how far along it is).
 
I think Paul Ricard might sadly be the only viable option for a while...

The first thing Bernie did when he bought that circuit was demolish the grand stands. I’m pretty sure he’s not looking to host a GP. He knows how much it costs. ;)
 
Back