Volkswagen ID - General Discussion

• Thread starter FT-1
  • 216 comments
United Kingdom
Wreckage, Turn 1
PrecisionXCIV
ID-Familiy-1170x260.jpg

"Volkswagen I.D." Refers to VW's vision of future mobility. The brand has previewed a number of concept vehicles, including the models pictured above (Left to right: VW I.D., VW I.D. Buzz, VW I.D. Crozz).

Now after multiple previews, I.D. isn't far away from hitting the streets. Volkswagen has started taking Pre-Orders for the I.D. Hatchback and camouflaged prototypes have been spotted in the wild:
80a9222c-2020-vw-id-neo.jpg

DuTW9qFW4AA4HUK.jpg

Despite some adjustments made for roadworthiness, the I.D. appears to remain faithful to the concept. I think it appears to be shaped like a BMW i3 but flattened and widened to create proportions not too dissimilar to a traditional hatchback.

Definitely a lot of potential there. Does look similar to the concept, though my only real misgiving is that despite those quarter windows behind the A-pillars, it'll feel like there's a lot of car out in front of you. Relatively low driving position, steeply-raked windscreen, long dashboard and sloping nose can feel like you're unaware of most of what's going on up front. Tall and upright like the i3 isn't as good stylistically, but it's good from a usability perspective.

I keep getting vibes of VW's Up Lite concept from 2009 in the overall form too - the same steep rake to the windscreen (albeit with an even shorter bonnet), simple front end, kink in the window line to the front and rear, fairly flat rear end, and of course the wheels. Shows that VW has had the idea floating around for a while, but also that the brand's design language is always a process of slow evolution. Easy to criticise for being boring, but VW's don't date very quickly.

uplite1.jpg

uplite2.jpg

uplite3.jpg

Note to VW; don't make the I.D.'s too futuristic looking.

Last week I read that VW stops producing ICEs from 2026 and will only produce electric cars.

Not quite, VW said their next generation of ICEs will start appearing on the market from 2026, and if VW wants to get their return on investment for those engines, they will stick around for at least another decade. This is further emphasized by a more recent article which states VW intends to keep building ICEs beyond 2040.
That Motor1 article doesn't quite explain things properly either, though you've interpreted it correctly below. VW's comment was that it would begin development of its last internal combustion vehicle in 2026 (not that it would stop making them, nor that its last ICE cars would appear then), so in reality that pushes its ICE products back even further.

If we assume the average new car development period is about six years (it varies, but six is about right for a lot of cars) then its last ICE vehicle will hit the market in maybe 2032, and if cars typically last around 6-8 years, then you're right in that any ICE product beginning development in 2026 could last into the 2040s.

All that said, it's clearly making big steps towards electrification now. Other than purely EV brands, I don't think many companies have confirmed their development of ICE cars will cease quite that soon.

I only read about what VW was doing from 2026 from Motor1 so I wasn't aware of how the announcement was interpreted in other sources - though the last source you quoted does say 2026 is when they launch the final generation of ICE vehicles (and generations typically last 6-8 years as said by @homeforsummer), not when they stop production.

To cease production of traditional vehicles by the year 2026 seems quite extreme when taking to account VW sells cars on a global scale. A fully electrified lineup can work in developed territories, but I personally don't believe many markets wouldn't have the infrastructure ready by then.

Note to VW; don't make the I.D.'s too futuristic looking.

Last week I read that VW stops producing ICEs from 2026 and will only produce electric cars.
I didn't use the correct word. I said "produce" instead of "develop".
I translated what was said in the Dutch articles. They said "maken" which translate as "produce". They should have said "ontwikkelen" which translate as "develop".
I only read about what VW was doing from 2026 from Motor1 so I wasn't aware of how the announcement was interpreted in other sources - though the last source you quoted does say 2026 is when they launch the final generation of ICE vehicles (and generations typically last 6-8 years as said by @homeforsummer), not when they stop production.

To cease production of traditional vehicles by the year 2026 seems quite extreme when taking to account VW sells cars on a global scale. A fully electrified lineup can work in developed territories, but I personally don't believe many markets wouldn't have the infrastructure ready by then.
They will stop developing ICE cars after 2026.

They will stop developing ICE cars after 2026.
Again, not strictly correct.
Speaking at the Handelsblatt automotive summit in Wolfsburg earlier this week, firm's head of strategy Michael Jost said that engineers “are working on the last platform for vehicles that aren’t CO2-neutral”.

“We’re gradually fading out combustion engines to the absolute minimum,” he said. “In the year 2026, the last product based on a combustion platform will be started.”
[Source]

Note the word "started". As I mentioned further up, VW's original comment would that it would begin development of its last ICEs in 2026, not stop developing them after that date. Though the linked article clarifies that probably only applies to Europe, and that regulations elsewhere in the world will likely extend that time period anyway.

Very conflicting information on the internet.

One site says they will stop producing VW or developing. Another site even says conflicting things. :mad:

Multiple sources are interpreting the statement differently, it seems.

What I strongly doubt is any source saying VW will stop producing ICE vehicles from 2026. For a non-premium global brand, that's not a feasible strategy, and won't be for at least another 20 years.

The Autocar article quotes the original VW guy verbatim and then clarifies it, so I'd go for that rather than the way other sites have interpreted it (and it's worth remembering that most other car sites will have got the news from sources like Autocar originally and then tried to re-write it...).

SEAT has unveiled what will become their version of the Volkswagen ID.3: The El-Born Concept. Thankfully, the prototype is far more impressive than the name.
ccd543d7-seat-el-born-concept-leak-5a-768x359.jpg

d09a7231-seat-el-born-concept-leak-2.jpg

1a0dc82d-seat-el-born-concept-leak-4-768x359.jpg

The Seat looks much better than the VW. That name though ............

It has a 50 kWh battery pack and 300 km range.

Than there is the Skôda Vision iV

The first VW I.D. vehicle is officially named the ID.3 - It will cost less than €30,000 before subsidies, has 3 battery options (spanning from 330km/205mi to 550km/342mi) and will make its debut at the 2019 Frankfurt motorshow.
c2f4d1b5-2020-vw-id3-electric-hatch-1.jpg

76e739e2-2020-vw-id3-electric-hatch-4.jpg

As expected, the ID.3 has a similar silhouette to the El-Born, but I think I prefer the Spanish counterpart due to its more aggressive styling (unless the El-Born becomes tamer as it reached production).

I see carmakers have given up on naming things entirely over the last week or so. First we have McLaren's new GT, the "McLaren GT", then Honda's electric car, the "Honda e", and finally what will presumably be the third tier of VW's new electric vehicle strategy, the "ID.3"...

At least we're getting serious EVs now with decent range that aren't Teslas.

A guy who has a secondhand car company told yesterday that electric cars are not to be trusted. He said as long as they are still under warranty, there is no problem but after that problems are going to start for owners of electric cars.
He means that electric cars are prone to go kaputt very quickly and that electric car technology is still not reliable.

I'm interested in an electric car but now I don't what to think of these cars.

Last edited:
A guy who has a secondhand car company told yesterday that electric cars are not to be trusted. He said as long as they are still under warranty, there is no problem but after that problems are going to start for owners of electric cars.
He means that electric cars are prone to kaputt very quickly and that electric car technology is still not reliable.

I'm interested in an electric car but now I don't what to think of these cars.
I thought the problem with electric cars is that if anything goes wrong it's expensive to fix?

Like if something goes wrong with the motor you need a whole new motor, same with batteries.

I remember reading years ago some people went through multiple motors in a year on their Model S'... Haven't heard of that issue in a while though.

Production ID Crozz has been spotted undergoing testing
volkswagen-i-d-crozz-spy-photo.jpg

It hasn't retained the coupe-like profile of the concept, but it does more a sleeker roofline than your average SUV. I can imagine a coupe variant being released later down the line if this sells well (which it should)

Here it is! The ID 3

hm8glzmbhki1f3nb2dyk.jpg

volkswagen_100715066_h.jpg

kykmraviuwb9dqursc8g.jpg

jmb9p8mefyh6pvyjtuwb.jpg

volkswagen_100715086_h.jpg

volkswagen_100715088_h.jpg

volkswagen_100715079_h.jpg

It's built on the new MEB platform. There are three variants available at launch: 45 kWh (330 kilometers/205 miles), 58 kWh (420 kilometers/260 miles), and 77 kWh (550 kilometers/340 miles/. (range based on WLTP which is slightly more optimistic than the EPA's). It can recharge 290 kilometers/180 miles/in half an hour using a 100 kW fast charger. The motor is only connected to the rear axle. The car's design results in a drag coefficient of 0.267 while weighing 1,719 kilograms/3,790 pounds.

There's a 10 inch touchscreen. There are no physical buttons/switches except for those that control the windows.

It'll start at 30,000 Euros. At the moment it won't be sold in America.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1124961_volkswagen-id-3-preview-this-is-vw-s-future

https://www.motor1.com/news/369662/vw-id-3-unveiled-frankfurt/

Still looks futuristic in production form, this is going to be such a hot seller. I like the fact it is rear wheel drive, should make more powerful variants fun to drive.

I also think it looks better on the 19 inch wheels (shown in the Top Gear video) than the 20's (shown in the photos above).

Anyone else think the new golf should have looked like this?

The Golf wouldn't be able to look like this because there is no room for the engine, plus the ID.3 is taller to house the batteries beneath the cockpit.

Yeah, the Golf is on the MQB platform which isn't built for housing batteries which is why the e-Golf has a sad 126 mile range.

Back