Volkswagen ID - General Discussion

• Thread starter FT-1
  • 216 comments
Volkswagen is a terrible company and is ruining America's transition to electric vehicles. Prove me wrong.

VW reveals the ID.7 at CES, coming to US

volkswagen-id.7-ev-prototype.jpg

volkswagen-id.7-interior-prototype.jpg

The ID.7 has a wheelbase of 116.9 inches and it stretches out to a total length of 194.5 inches. That makes this EV just over three inches longer than the Arteon, and VW promises a roomy and upscale interior thanks to that extra length.

"With the new ID.7, we are extending our electric model range into the upper segments," said CEO Thomas Schafer. "The sedan will offer top-class technology and quality."

As part of VW’s push to upgrade its interior technology, the ID.7 promises a new 15.0-inch touchscreen, illuminated touch sliders, an augmented reality head-up display, and even digitally controlled air vents that automatically adjust in-car temperatures depending on how hot or cold it is outside. "Hello Volkswagen" voice controls will also be available in the ID.7 to control basic functions.

For now, things like battery size and power output are still unknown, as well as price, but VW says the ID.7 will get around 435 miles (700 kilometers) of range on the generous WLTP European cycle. That range figure will be lower in the US, of course, using the EPA scale. VW will sell the ID.7 in China and Europe as well as in North America.
This is likely the production version of the ID Aero from June of last year

1672794894879.png

Disappointing to see the capacitive touch steering wheel and infotainment despite the CEO admitting their mistake and that they're changing it for the Golf facelift and other cars

Last edited:
VW reveals the ID.7 at CES, coming to US

volkswagen-id.7-interior-prototype.jpg

This is likely the production version of the ID Aero from June of last year

View attachment 1220477

Disappointing to see the capacitive touch steering wheel and infotainment despite the CEO admitting their mistake and that they're changing it for the Golf facelift and other cars
If this thing is longer than the Arteon then it is just a large car in all dimensions, especially height. This thing looks Jetta-sized in the photos but the Arteon is as big as long as a Camry. The ID7 will basically be as tall as a new Crown.

ID Buzz GTX, LWB, and AWD models coming soon. The LWB version is the one that will be available in the US

volkswagen-id.-buzz-awd-teaser.jpg

volkswagen-id.-buzz-gtx-teaser.jpg

volkswagen-id.-buzz-seven-seat-teaser.jpg

Coming later this year, the performance version of the electric minivan will have 250 kilowatts, which works out to 335 horsepower. That’s actually more than the 295 hp of the ID.4/ID.5 GTX.

A non-GTX dual-motor model is under consideration, according to [R&D boss Kai Gruenitz]. As a matter of fact, that presentation we mentioned also had a teaser for a long-wheelbase, all-wheel-drive configuration. We'll remind you the elongated model will be the only one available in the United States when the ID. Buzz will go on sale in 2024. It's going to have a bigger battery pack compared to the standard-wheelbase, rear-wheel-drive model.

Speaking of the longer ID. Buzz, Gruenitz told Autocar it will be stretched by 250 millimeters (9.8 inches). As a refresher, the standard model already on sale in Europe in passenger and cargo configurations measures 4,712 mm (185.5 in). He added it'll have a three-row layout with seven seats, "and you can pull them all out of the back." He went on to mention "it will also have Captain's chairs that turn around."

Gruenitz reiterated a California-badged camper is in the works, but it won't come out sooner than 2025.

LWB will be a genuinely good vehicle, assuming AWD is available, and I'd be really interested in getting one even though I absolutely do not need a van for any reason.

LWB will be a genuinely good vehicle, assuming AWD is available, and I'd be really interested in getting one even though I absolutely do not need a van for any reason.
I doubt you'll be able to get one of these under $60k in the US...same old piece of **** story. A manufacturer hypes up a product so much before launch and then either for supply chain related issues or outright marketing strategy keeps production much tighter than demand (arbitrarily, we're not talking the same sorta constraints the housing market has here) to drive up prices and get people paying outrageous markups. It's getting pretty old.

I don’t think it’s especially skinny, but as to being tall, well, it’s an electric car, need I say more?
You do need because the most capable EV sedans on the market don't look tall and aren't tall.

2012-Tesla-Model-S-rear-three-quarter-1.jpg

IMG_5707-e1658129717194.jpg

I think this VW is suffering from the same problem that new Mazda CX-70 suffers from. It looks extremely tall not necessarily because it is (although I think it is), but because it's really skinny. It's slab-sided and flat. It looks horrible. Clearly not designed for the North American market where our cars tend to be much wider, allowing for more voluptuous shapes. See the foreign CX-70 vs American CX-50. This VW looks taller and lankier than the Toyota Crown crossover sedan thing and that car is literally lifted.

Last edited:

Volkswagen designer Jozef Kaban has been removed by VW CEO Thomas Schaefer as he was not a fan of the retro-future designs that Kaban was making. Bentley designer Tobias Suehlmann will take his place at VW.

This report, which originally came from German publication Automobilwoche, claims that new VW CEO Thomas Schaefer wasn't thrilled with some of Kaban's designs. Most notably, Schaefer wanted Kaban to restyle the retro-futuristic ID Life concept, which debuted at the 2021 IAA Munich auto show. Schaefer also reportedly wanted Kaban to change the Trinity concept—a flagship electric sedan, set to debut in 2026—from a sedan to a crossover. It's unclear if there was any pushback by Kaban but it's no surprise that Schaefer would want to push for more crossovers, given their popularity among EV buyers.

Thankfully Kaban was at least able to get one retro-futuristic design into production before his ousting, the ID Buzz. That car's funky throwback design has made it popular among VW enthusiasts who've been asking for the return of the iconic VW Bus.

Volkswagen designer Jozef Kaban has been removed by VW CEO Thomas Schaefer as he was not a fan of the retro-future designs that Kaban was making. Bentley designer Tobias Suehlmann will take his place at VW.
The I.D. is the first remotely interesting VW product to be unveiled since the Arteon, and that's because of it's neo-retro design, not in spite of it. The remaining I.D. EVs and ICE SUVs/CUVs are just peak bland, does the new management really believe the lineup is too unique or eccentric already? This feels like the first step into VW screwing the US out of getting the ID.Buzz

Ah so what you'r esaying is Schaefer doesn't want VW to be successful.

Sell your stock now. The only remotely interesting vehicle in the ID lineup is the Buzz, everything else is faceless and uninspired.

Ah so what you'r esaying is Schaefer doesn't want VW to be successful.

Sell your stock now. The only remotely interesting vehicle in the ID lineup is the Buzz, everything else is faceless and uninspired.
Besides, The I.D. Buzz is highly likely to be a success not only because the minivan segment is not nearly as over-saturated as for SUV and CUVs (there are only three options in the US and all sell at least decently well), but because its the first minivan that can practically break the stereotype that minivans are soulless, uncool people-movers, that isn't as farcical as an Avantime or Previa. I mean come on, the Buzz is a home run; relatively inexpensive, durable, but also stylish and full of charm.

Last edited:
Besides, The I.D. Buzz is highly likely to be a success not only because the minivan segment is not nearly as over-saturated as for SUV and CUVs (there are only three options in the US and all sell at least decently well), but because its the first minivan that can practically break the stereotype that minivans are soulless, uncool people-movers, that isn't as farcical as an Avantime or Previa. I mean come on, the Buzz is a home run; relatively inexpensive, durable, but also stylish and full of charm.
It's going to sell like hotcakes once it hits the US. Reviews suggest a universally excellent little van.

I can only assume that Schaeffer has no clue what he's doing. The other ID products are miserable but the biggest issue, and one that has been kept well under wraps by VW, is that the Electrify America charging network is a VW product and is universally terrible. The only people who seem to know this are EV enthusiasts and I'm in disbelief that the word isn't getting out about how bad EA is. VW actually debuted a new Electrify America style of charger recently which has been tested by Youtubers and shown to simply not work when it's cold out, especially during that arctic blast we had recently.

That's part of why I'm so confused that Ford would partner with VW in Europe. VW is releasing crap EV products left and right and now that I know his name it seems this Schaeffer dude has a track record of bad decisions and implementation.

Last edited:
Volkswagen ID.3 has been facelifted for 2024:

View attachment 1225573

View attachment 1225574

Edit: I almost came in here and started talking about how "of course they have to facelift it after a year because all their EVs are miserable" like we've been discussing.

But then I did my research and apparently this car has been miserable since 2019. Honestly, I had no idea. Then I found out the ID4 has been sold in the US since 2020 which is insane because I've seen like three of them on the roads. I can spot any Tesla around where I live within minutes and I usually see something like an Ioniq, Mach E, EV6, E-Tron, or Rivian once a week or so. I assumed the ID4 just came out last year because I've only seen three of them during that time. I see more BMW i3s and Nissan Leafs on the road. Detroit is cheating but I saw literally a dozen Hummer EVs, multiple Lightnings, and Rivians were a regular occurence the second half of 2022 in Detroit. I don't think I ever saw an ID4 there. Honestly they were probably there, they're just so bland I didn't notice them. They look like cars from Grand Theft Auto, totally generic and anonymous, somehow even less recognizable than a Golf which is the definition of ubiquitous hatchback.

Are they selling in Europe? Surely VW's mastermind CEO realizes that his company's future depends on selling products people actually want, right?

Last edited:
Volkswagen strongly considering developing an electric pickup truck for the US market:

They'll sell even less than the Hyundai Santa Cruz. It will be an utter failure. VW has no reputation to stand on in the US concerning trucks.

ID Buzz LWB

vw-id.-buzz-lwb-new-spy-photo.jpg

vw-id.-buzz-lwb-new-spy-photo.jpg

2024-volkswagen-id.-buzz-lwb-spy-photo.jpg
But they have a great reputation with people-movers and this van is going to sell like hotcakes. It's too bad VW's knuckleheaded CEO hates things that sell like hotcakes but hey I guess that's more market share for American companies which I'm all about.

Not to get too political but I feel like Germany - not just German brands but Germany as a whole - has gotten really weird over the past several years. They've got the ID Buzz and Porsche trying to hold it all together but everything else is not going well. Especially from a design standpoint they're just completely lost in space and have lost all sense of identity.

Last edited:
ID.3 facelift has been revealed

volkswagen-id3-facelift-front.jpg

volkswagen-id3-facelift-front-three-quarter.jpg

volkswagen-id3-facelift-rear-three-quarter.jpg

volkswagen-id3-facelift-interior.jpg

If you don't fancy playing spot the difference, the main changes on the exterior include the headlights, rear lights, front bumper and removal of the black element on the reprofiled hood. There are some changes to the inside to make it classier than the old model, but the infamous capacitive touch buttons remain.

Last edited:
Oh hey, a VW that looks like a VW. That's just the reality that VW needs to face: Golfs look like Golfs look like Golfs, and they should look like Golfs because nothing else looks like Golfs. The side profile is exactly how it's supposed to be.

Just keep doing that over and over and the people will keep buying them.

Now fix the damn Electrify America network, please.

Y'all missed the best part:

physical buttons and dials!! 4 window switches!!

volkswagen-id.2all-interni.jpg

There also appears to be a Golf Mk2 themed digital dash

Oh snap, don't tell the CEO that designers snuck in some retro!

Back