Vote for 60fps replays!

  • Thread starter Thread starter alucard0712
  • 82 comments
  • 5,083 views

Do you want 60fps raplays in GT5?

  • Yes, I want only 60fps replays!

    Votes: 30 26.1%
  • I want an option to choose between 30fps and 60fps.

    Votes: 14 12.2%
  • I don't mind...It dosn't matter.

    Votes: 69 60.0%
  • What is 60fps? I didn't notice...

    Votes: 2 1.7%

  • Total voters
    115
I don't see the problem with 30fps replays. Why? Because its more cinematically realistic, I reckon. Sometimes it looks like a TV broadcast (if you had a colourful imagination I suppose).
 
I have a 120hz tv with motion enhancing, it does not matter to me either way.
So your TV just duplicates frames - how does that make it better? Unless the source material was coming in at 120fps to match the rate of your panel, it's not going to look much different at 30fps or 60fps - possibly worse.

My SONY Bravia has got motion "enhancing" in it - most of the time I turn it off because when it comes to playing games, you are better off allowing the TV to show the native feed as best it can, and not mess with it.
 
I don't see the problem with 30fps replays. Why? Because its more cinematically realistic, I reckon. Sometimes it looks like a TV broadcast (if you had a colourful imagination I suppose).
TV broadcasts are 50/60fps.

Of course it's a bit disappointing to go back from 60fps replays in GT4 to 30.
If you switch to ingame views 60fps are retained in replays, something Forza doesn't.

Much more important to me are stable 60fps ingame without tearing (v-sync won't happen according to all we have seen).
 
I want 1000fps....
Really, I don't understand the point of this vote. Of course that everyone wants the best, but if you are setting a poll like this there should be a trade-off, or else why would anyone want lower than the maximum.
For example, if you would say that in 60fps the scenery will be with lower details (or less resolution) or anything similar then OK, but if it's all the same and the only difference is the FPS number, so I want the maximum always.

Question is between replays what you see in GT5P (with effects,little higher resolution, 2x AF etc...) or have 60fps replays with in-game graphics.I say that in-game graphics are good enough and adding such effects and increasing resolution but halve framerate are not worth it.
IT CAN BE 60FPS WITH IN-GAME GRAPHICS!(and keeping some of the DOF effects, cause game engine not gathering input data anymore)
 
How would a racing game be like with over 60 or 100 fps??? hmmmm...:lol:

Not much different compared to 60, although, you dont notice framedrops so fast anymore (i can play Live for Speed with 80-90 frames).
 
I don't see the problem with 30fps replays. Why? Because its more cinematically realistic, I reckon. Sometimes it looks like a TV broadcast (if you had a colourful imagination I suppose).

The difference between TV and a game is usually that the TV essentially has near perfect motion blur, blending images together seamlessly.
 
Honestly, I couldn't care less. I don't know at how many fps GT4 is running, to be honest.
 
Honestly, I couldn't care less. I don't know at how many fps GT4 is running, to be honest.
You may pick some NFS Shift.Play it for a while.Then pick up GT5P (or Forza 3).I think you understand the difference! ;)
 
I dont think we cant choose, is more a technical issue, in race the motion blur and the sampling of antialias(in 720 are 4x, in 1080 are in 2x) are in less quality because of that it runs at 60 fps, then in the replay the CG engine `turn on` the multisampling and the motion blur to more quality and with that option the hardware can handle at 30 fps to make it smoother(if the replay are in 60 fps the console show lag of fps).

Sorry my english.

PS. you know the movies are in 24 fps, the tv(ntsc) are in 30 fps, and the human eye only recognize max 60 fps, more than 60 fps is the same for the eyes.
 
Last edited:
I dont think we can choose, is more a technical issue, in race the motion blur and the sampling of antialias(in 720 are 4x, in 1080 are in 2x) are in less quality because of that it runs at 60 fps, then in the replay the CG engine `turn on` the multisampling and the motion blur to more quality and with that option the hardware can handle at 30 fps to make it smoother(if the replay are in 60 fps the console show lag of fps).

Sorry my english.

PS. you know the movies are in 24 fps, the tv(ntsc) are in 30 fps, and the human eye only recognize max 60 fps, more than 60 fps is the same for the eyes.

I understand you perfectly.
Man.Again.Choose from 60fps replay WITH IN-GAME GRAPHICS or 30fps WITH THOSE CHEAP(<- my opinion) EFFECTS.

Sorry I've been explaining it like 4 times or so...
 
I want 24fps replays

This.

When you go to the cinema and watch a movie, it looks real right? Thats 24fps.

The only reason the regular gameplay is 60fps is so there is less delay when you apply steering, it gives the sense it isn't connected and you have no feel for the car. I try playing games on my laptop, first person shooters in particular. I play on all low settings to hit 45 fps, even though i could hit ~25 fps on high settings. It makes everything smoother and more responsive.

In replays you don't need this. Replays are there for good visuals, and 30fps is more than enough.

Oh and the poll is screwed up... I want to vote no to 60fps replays. It isn't necessary.
 
This.

When you go to the cinema and watch a movie, it looks real right? Thats 24fps.

The only reason the regular gameplay is 60fps is so there is less delay when you apply steering, it gives the sense it isn't connected and you have no feel for the car. I try playing games on my laptop, first person shooters in particular. I play on all low settings to hit 45 fps, even though i could hit ~25 fps on high settings. It makes everything smoother and more responsive.

In replays you don't need this. Replays are there for good visuals, and 30fps is more than enough.

Oh and the poll is screwed up... I want to vote no to 60fps replays. It isn't necessary.

Do you see racing on TV?It ALL 60fps (30-interlaced) Why is this?Why NEWS on TV in 60fps?Did you see GT3 or GT4 replays?

Man movie is movie.It has MINIMUM fps that you eye recognize it as VIDEO(moving picture).It's absolutely different.And try to play shooter in 24fps huh...
 
This.

When you go to the cinema and watch a movie, it looks real right? Thats 24fps.

The only reason the regular gameplay is 60fps is so there is less delay when you apply steering, it gives the sense it isn't connected and you have no feel for the car. I try playing games on my laptop, first person shooters in particular. I play on all low settings to hit 45 fps, even though i could hit ~25 fps on high settings. It makes everything smoother and more responsive.

In replays you don't need this. Replays are there for good visuals, and 30fps is more than enough.

Oh and the poll is screwed up... I want to vote no to 60fps replays. It isn't necessary.

I was always confused by that. Apparently it's to do with contrast, or some similar effect. It turns out the reason why 24 fps is acceptable in the cinema is because it's so dark in there, relative to the intensity of the screen.
Your TV typically sits in brighter light, so choppy framerate is more noticeable. Worse still are computer monitors (not CRT, which are fine above about 30, I think) which really need at least 60 Hz refresh.

Also, some people genuinely cannot see the difference between 30 and 60 fps on a non-CRT computer monitor - I can, and there's a brief moment when it jumps to replay where I see the stutter. My mind adapts though, and all is well!
 
PS. you know the movies are in 24 fps, the tv(ntsc) are in 30 fps, and the human eye only recognize max 60 fps, more than 60 fps is the same for the eyes.
Look some postings above: NTSC ist 60fps (technically correct 60 fields).
The human eye can recognize way more than 60fps. However 60fps is good enough for most people in contrast to 30fps.
 
You can vote but 60 fps is not possible(ps3 power limit)
 
Motion enhancing works best at 24fps, and the reason why I want 24fps replays

It doesnt work at all with 30fps

Ewwwwwww, motion enhancing on 24fps movies really sucks. I'd said before somewhere and someone brought up 24fps documentaries/wildlife which could be cool.

Doesn't work at all with 30fps? I'm pretty sure that's wrong.

But isn't there typically a delay in the image when using motion enhancing that would screw up gaming?

24fps gives that 'cinematic' feel when watching movies, it is not generally good for fast moving stuff and definitely not what you want for racing or race replays in gt5.
 
So your TV just duplicates frames - how does that make it better? Unless the source material was coming in at 120fps to match the rate of your panel, it's not going to look much different at 30fps or 60fps - possibly worse.

My SONY Bravia has got motion "enhancing" in it - most of the time I turn it off because when it comes to playing games, you are better off allowing the TV to show the native feed as best it can, and not mess with it.

my tv is in the bravia line and I like it better with the enhancer on.
It doesn't duplicate frames, it digitally creates frames between the source input frames for smoother motion.
 
my tv is in the bravia line and I like it better with the enhancer on.
It doesn't duplicate frames, it digitally creates frames between the source input frames for smoother motion.

Yes it uses motion vectors but it's not working on shadows, fades, very quick motion, flashes, etc etc.So framerate become variable.It's much easer for TV to recreate from 30fps than from 24fps.And how variable artificial framerate better then native 60 perfect frames?
Try to play 30fps GAME with this enhancer :))) I bet it will cost you very noticeble LATENCY - you need constantly turn it on and off...not a good idea!
Again and again.IT CAN BE 60fps.

(sorry me really.i just love smooth 60fps feel!especially in games!)
 
my tv is in the bravia line and I like it better with the enhancer on.
It doesn't duplicate frames, it digitally creates frames between the source input frames for smoother motion.

That takes time to process so there's a delay between the signal going into the TV and the picture being displayed, this is why most TVs have a game mode. At times when I've forgotten to switch my TV back to game mode after watching movies I've found it harder to control cars in GT and lap times have suffered.
 
You can vote but 60 fps is not possible(ps3 power limit)
Again.By the 6th time :))))
Guess what fps GT5P have in-game?How it is not possible to do this in replays?

Someone help!!!It is possible to upload a 60fps video?I can do 60fps GT5p replay.Quality will be poor (due imperfections of MV algorithm) but you will se how will GT5 60fps replay looks like.Sure you won't back to 30fps after this!
 
Just a thought, HD replays uploaded to youtube directly from gt5 (is that still happening?) the replays don't need to be rendered realtime, they could be photomode quality or somewhere in between.
 
Do you see racing on TV?It ALL 60fps (30-interlaced) Why is this?Why NEWS on TV in 60fps?Did you see GT3 or GT4 replays?

Man movie is movie.It has MINIMUM fps that you eye recognize it as VIDEO(moving picture).It's absolutely different.And try to play shooter in 24fps huh...


THIS.

I think the key to making this game look realistic, in terms of replays, is running it at 60fps. Im actually surprised by the results of the poll. I guess thats what seperate pc gamers to console gamers. :sly:
 
PS. you know the movies are in 24 fps, the tv(ntsc) are in 30 fps, and the human eye only recognize max 60 fps, more than 60 fps is the same for the eyes.

That's not true at all. If a human is displayed with discrete images its been shown they can discern very high framerates (beyond 100fps).

Images stay on the retina longer than that (from memory 0.1s, but I can't remember the exact numbers), which is part of the reason a fast moving object will blur (the human eye doesn't see discrete images like a monitor displays, it blurs several milliseconds of data together).

But its a lie people can't perceive above 60fps, its just move monitors and TVs only display images at a maximum rate of 60fps.

The only reason movies work at 24fps is what I mentioned earlier, the camera blurs images together smoothly. Even in movies, during slow panning shots it can sometimes show up the low framerate.
 
I thought reason some of the replay angles in GT5:P were dodgy because of the filtering issues not 30fps. Then again, my knowledge for how this works isn't that good.
 
Yes it uses motion vectors but it's not working on shadows, fades, very quick motion, flashes, etc etc.So framerate become variable.It's much easer for TV to recreate from 30fps than from 24fps.And how variable artificial framerate better then native 60 perfect frames?
Try to play 30fps GAME with this enhancer :))) I bet it will cost you very noticeble LATENCY - you need constantly turn it on and off...not a good idea!
Again and again.IT CAN BE 60fps.

(sorry me really.i just love smooth 60fps feel!especially in games!)

I play all my games with the motion enhancer on and I don't notice any latency. In most of my games I actually play worse if the motion enhancer off.
but I've had my tv for 2 years now so I might just be used to it.
 
I play all my games with the motion enhancer on and I don't notice any latency. In most of my games I actually play worse if the motion enhancer off.
but I've had my tv for 2 years now so I might just be used to it.

You need to play on other (low-latency) TV and then back on yours.You just get accustomed to latency of your TV.

(for example Forza 3 have big latency by itself (compared to GT5p) and you won't notice it without a comparison and some experience about latency)
 
Most here just need to go get a clue, if you had any you wouldn´t be stating that 60fps is possible as you can bet Kaz would have done it, for ingame it´s a must according to him and alot of us, but for replays nope not even close to needed.
 
Most here just need to go get a clue, if you had any you wouldn´t be stating that 60fps is possible as you can bet Kaz would have done it, for ingame it´s a must according to him and alot of us, but for replays nope not even close to needed.
Who said?I love replays - I need it!
Maybe you not understand beauty of it that's all. :indiff: Maybe we don't need replays at all?
I mean if 60fps enhances visuals in-game HOW it not enhanses visuals of replays.Question about importance of replays is subjective.We talk about replays now.If replays are not important for you it's another question.
 
Last edited:
Back