VR supportPC 

United States
United States
Just ordered an Oculus Rift after trying it out at Best Buy today. It won't arrive until Wednesday, but I wondered, how is the VR support in Pcars 2? Is it easy to setup? Is it supported in all modes? Is there a resource somewhere that I can mine for more information? TIA.

Last edited:
Just ordered an Oculus Rift after trying it out at Best Buy today. It won't arrive until Wednesday, but I wondered, how is the VR support in Pcars 2? Is it easy to setup? Is it supported in all modes? Is there a resource somewhere that I can mine for more information?
Probably best VR implementation out of all racing titles. There is one annoying bug with flashes that happen from time to time. Otherwise it’s great.

Just ordered an Oculus Rift after trying it out at Best Buy today. It won't arrive until Wednesday, but I wondered, how is the VR support in Pcars 2? Is it easy to setup? Is it supported in all modes? Is there a resource somewhere that I can mine for more information?
Join the club! I also recently bought an Oculus Rift especially for racing sims and other experiences are also fun. PCars2 is great in VR (imo).
I followed this setup guide: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?54483-VR-Guide-Setup-Settings-and-General-tips

In general the setup of Oculus is very inuitive and thus easy to setup.
Most of the times the first 5 minutes after putting on your goggles you can have condensation. I already put a small fan* in front of my face but the temperature difference between my raceroom and my head is too big. So most of the times I start with a relaxing title and then step into the intense PCars2 races, time trials etc :dopey:

Enjoy!

* was a great advise of another VR simmer

Last edited:
Probably best VR implementation out of all racing titles. There is one annoying bug with flashes that happen from time to time. Otherwise it’s great.
Those white flashes led to me refunding the game yesterday. They are just too annoying and immersion-breaking in VR for me. I also have wildly inconsistent performance whereby a smooth race can be restarted and then turns into a judderfest. Could be a memory leak.
A separate issue is the strobing inside the cockpit (like someone is flashing a torch), but I'm not sure if that is a general bug or is VR-specific.
I tried desperately to get on with the game after liking the demo (it's my second attempt, I also bought it at launch) but my enjoyment was being hampered too much by annoying little niggles.
I'll keep watching the change logs with an open mind though.

Those white flashes led to me refunding the game yesterday. They are just too annoying and immersion-breaking in VR for me. I also have wildly inconsistent performance whereby a smooth race can be restarted and then turns into a judderfest. Could be a memory leak.
A separate issue is the strobing inside the cockpit (like someone is flashing a torch), but I'm not sure if that is a general bug or is VR-specific.
I tried desperately to get on with the game after liking the demo (it's my second attempt, I also bought it at launch) but my enjoyment was being hampered too much by annoying little niggles.
I would have thought at least wait for the patch to drop before making a decision

Just ordered an Oculus Rift after trying it out at Best Buy today. It won't arrive until Wednesday, but I wondered, how is the VR support in Pcars 2? Is it easy to setup? Is it supported in all modes? Is there a resource somewhere that I can mine for more information? TIA.

It's pretty easy to setup. Oculus will walk you through some setup stuff first and send you through a little demo that will show you the possibilities of VR. To start PC2 in VR you just go to the VR section of your Steam library, select PC2 and tell it to launch in Oculus mode. All modes of PC2 work in VR, even the menu screens. There are a couple settings you can change in the VR section of your system settings in-game but that's about it, everything just works. AC works slightly differently, the Rift only displays on-track and not the menu screens (unless you're using another program like Virtual Desktop) but IMO it actually looks better and crisper in VR than PC2 and I can crank the settings a lot higher with it too.

This thread has some PC2 specific VR info, and of course feel free to ask us any questions. Welcome to the club, I think you'll like it here. :)

http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/vr-guide-setup-settings-and-general-tips.141693/

Ran a few races in VR this afternoon. It's amazing to just be able to turn your head and look at the cars beside you. Passes can be much closer because you know exactly where the other car is., no guessing. The immersion is off the chart.

I need better resolution though. My framerate is fine, but irl I need reading glasses and I think this is affecting me in VR. Gonna do some Googling to see what my options are in this respect.

Ran a few races in VR this afternoon. It's amazing to just be able to turn your head and look at the cars beside you. Passes can be much closer because you know exactly where the other car is., no guessing. The immersion is off the chart.

I need better resolution though. My framerate is fine, but irl I need reading glasses and I think this is affecting me in VR. Gonna do some Googling to see what my options are in this respect.
I remember my first racing experience with the Vive. It's a proper eye opener isn't. You'll be getting a motion rig next!

Have you gone to scratch an itch on your face and been surprised to see your in game arm not leave the steering wheel yet?

I use contacts usually. That’s the best option. Glasses I can fit in too but it’s not very comfortable so I try to use contacts if possible

I remember my first racing experience with the Vive. It's a proper eye opener isn't. You'll be getting a motion rig next!

Have you gone to scratch an itch on your face and been surprised to see your in game arm not leave the steering wheel yet?

No, but the little things like looking around in the cockpit or turning your head to look at the mirror still amaze me.

3 weeks ago I had those same white flashes, updated my nVidia GeForce GTX 1070 Drivers to the latest and the flashes went away. Have no idea if those Drivers did it, or some other weird hardware, firmware or OS update that happened automatically around the same time. I've accepted that all these early stage, wonderful technologies like VR depend on your specific combo of Hardware/Firmware/Software.................that it either works or it doesn't. I can't imagine going back to my triple flat screens so I am glad AC, iRacing and pCars are working for me good enough, so everytime one blows up................I can hop over to another title......:lol:

3 weeks ago I had those same white flashes, updated my nVidia GeForce GTX 1070 Drivers to the latest and the flashes went away. Have no idea if those Drivers did it, or some other weird hardware, firmware or OS update that happened automatically around the same time. I've accepted that all these early stage, wonderful technologies like VR depend on your specific combo of Hardware/Firmware/Software.................that it either works or it doesn't. I can't imagine going back to my triple flat screens so I am glad AC, iRacing and pCars are working for me good enough, so everytime one blows up................I can hop over to another title......:lol:

I have the newest nVidia drivers and I still get the white flashes. They're much less frequent since the update but they still happen.

I have the newest nVidia drivers and I still get the white flashes. They're much less frequent since the update but they still happen.
Right, they're not a driver issue, they're an issue with the game. I'm still having them infrequently, while everything else works just fine.

Anyway to stop the broadcast on my monitor while in a race? Seems like an awful lot of wasted resources there.

Also, if a mod wanted to merge this with the other vr thread that would be cool. I didn't see it before i posted this one.

Did you try disabling bloom?
For me it eliminated most flashes i used to have, i still get the "weird frame" bug once every few minutes of gameplay, but is not that distracting

Yeah, I'm not sure what these flashes are. I disabled bloom right away and now once or twice a race I will get this weird frame that just pops in out of nowhere but it's not that distracting.

I get it too. It's less frequent than before the patch but it still happens. Sometimes it's once every five laps, sometimes it's twice a lap. It's not the worst bug I've seen but it does get a bit annoying. I read up on it a little bit and I guess some other games have suffered from the same thing so it's not a strictly PCars2 thing but that's the only game I've personally seen it on.

Did you try disabling bloom?
For me it eliminated most flashes i used to have, i still get the "weird frame" bug once every few minutes of gameplay, but is not that distracting
I've given up on pCARS 2 for now but will remember to try that if I ever jump back in and the issues haven't been properly patched in the meantime.

White flashes are still present but seem to occur less often. From my reddit (r/iracing) sleuthing - June Nvidia drivers (382.53) is the last driver to not have this issue present.

Back