[VRR][B-SPEC] 2017 Straight Talk IndyCar Series Season

• Thread starter Eva
  • 1,040 comments

What Sponsor Would You Want For 2018-2020?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Another iconic livery will be coming to the VRR Straight Talk IndyCar Series in 2018. Cherokee Motorsports has confirmed that Gulf will be joining as a primary sponsor for 2018 for at least one of their full time entries. Team owner Clayton Hardy has been tight lipped on who could be driving for the team, but confirmed that he would not be one of the full time drivers.

Eva
Never too early really. Go for it.
OK...now how to do it without sounding like a 🤬...

To everyone I tag here, this pertains to the 2018 season. A LOT has happened, and A LOT more will happen in the future. Yes, I could use a bit of a boost, but I know that my situation won't fit some of y'all's ideas. And for those who have no interest...I'm sorry for bothering you, but I felt the urge to try.

@aarror I know that you planned to go GT racing, but would you consider a hand here?

@trobes29 @ScuderiaLucas @rcb929 @CSMDuty11 @JockeP22 Any interest in jumping in next season to throw a wrench in the works?

@Gerarghini @rallymorten I know you two haven't had a lot of time to burn, but we'd enjoy having y'all around...if y'all want to, anyway.

OK...now how to do it without sounding like a 🤬...

To everyone I tag here, this pertains to the 2018 season. A LOT has happened, and A LOT more will happen in the future. Yes, I could use a bit of a boost, but I know that my situation won't fit some of y'all's ideas. And for those who have no interest...I'm sorry for bothering you, but I felt the urge to try.

@aarror I know that you planned to go GT racing, but would you consider a hand here?

@trobes29 @ScuderiaLucas @rcb929 @CSMDuty11 @JockeP22 Any interest in jumping in next season to throw a wrench in the works?

@Gerarghini @rallymorten I know you two haven't had a lot of time to burn, but we'd enjoy having y'all around...if y'all want to, anyway.
I would have preferred if you worked on it behind the closed doors to make a bit more suspense for silly season but this works too.

Eva
I would have preferred if you worked on it behind the closed doors to make a bit more suspense for silly season but this works too.
Sorry, I thought more of just bringing people in period than immediate team building.

OOC: I was going to hold off on this for a bit, but since I've been mentioned I may as well tease you all a little.

- Rumors have been circulating that one-time race winner Aaron Van der Linden has been in talks about making a return to the Straight Talk Indycar Series. When reached he refused to disclose whether this would be in a full or part-time role, or which team(s) he had been in contact with.

"I don't think it's fair to the team(s) in question to reveal that, or to the driver(s) currently occupying those seats. I'm working on a few final sponsorship deals, and hopefully I'll be able to share some news with you soon. I'm really looking forward to getting behind the wheel of one of these beasts again and going wheel to wheel with some good friends in the field. It's nice to know I've been missed."

Any updates/videos/VRR Unpluggeds? It's May and I'm itching to see a good (virtual) race.
Was actually going to make a formal post addressing the delays that have happened. Right now, we are trying to figure out who is doing commentary for Kentucky. @nascarfan1400 is having massive issues with his computer and can't even access the Kentucky files. So that's been delayed at least another two weeks. And I can't move forward with the calendar until Kentucky is finished so we are currently in a paused situation. I'm also waiting to get paid so I can get Vegas which will improve the immersion of the broadcasts considerably. But once again, until Kentucky is done, I can't move forward very far.

Going to reiterate what I've said previously regarding 2018 so far.
-First three new teams for 2018 will be eligible for a $3,000,000 grant from VRR to get them off of the ground.
-Teams already in the series that expand can become eligible to receive a $1,000,000 grant for every additional full time car they enter. Standard team limit rules still apply, which means teams cannot field more than four full time entries and two part time entries in 2018.
-2018 calendar set to be 28 races still, with marquee events such as Indianapolis, Monaco, Fontana, Michigan, and Pocono.
-2018 will see a open limit of potential full time entries. There is a potential of 50 full time entries with the engine rules taking effect limiting an engine supplier to only 10 full time entries.
-In 2018, the series will see a new title sponsor, as well as a new tire provider. Pirelli will take Firestone's place as the sole tire supplier starting in 2018.
-2018 thread opens on July 1st, 2017. Full list of free agents as well as confirmed teams and drivers will be included in the post opening.
-Honda will become the cost-effective engine in 2018 to remain competitive with Alpine, Chevrolet, Ferrari, and Ford.

Teams in 2018
Black Rose Racing-Ferrari
#7: Patrick Marcelli (ITA)/Go Daddy/Jack Daniel's/Coca-Cola
#8: Andrew Draco (USA)/Apple/In N Out Burger/Coca-Cola
#81: Nicole Liechti (SUI)/TE Connectivity/Tide/Coca-Cola
#82: TBD (TBD)/Rolex/TBD/Coca-Cola
TBD: TBD (TBD)/TBD
Cat Devil Racing-Ferrari
#15: TBD (TBD)/TBD
#16: TBD (TBD)/TBD/TBD/TBD
#17: TBD (TBD)/GoPro/TBD/TBD
#18: Kunimitsu Kino****a (JPN)/Sony/Okuma/Nikon
#19: Camyron Jackson (USA)/GameStop/Sony/Pepsi
Cherokee GP-Alpine (formerly Cherokee Motorsports)
#96: Ronald Hahn (DEU) (R)/Gulf Oil/Allianz/Royal Crown Cola
TBD: TBD (TBD)/TBD/TBD/TBD
Ecurie Ecosse-Ford
#10: Gary Slater (SCO)/Johnnie Walker/Turn 10 Studios/twitch.tv
Eiffel Tower Racing-Alpine
#67: Jamie Ngaire-Jardine (NZL)/Boost Mobile/Pirtek/Fujitsu
#80: Astrid Krane (NOR) (R)/Bass Pro Shops/Red Bull/Old Spice
Equipa Chama Transatlantica-Chevrolet (formerly Team Christie Upton)
#30: Matheus Michelin (BRA)/TBD/TBD/TBD
#76: Nico Costa-Monteiro (POR)/Burger King/Namco-Bandai/Royal Purple
Perl Speed GP-Ferrari
#55: Ryan Perlstein (USA)/Amazon/Sabaton/Novitec
Rainbow Road Racing-Honda
#64: Kevin Ritter (AUS)/TBD/TBD/TBD
Scuderia Rabia Furiosa-Chevrolet
#11: Alex Rivera (LUX)/Target/T-Mobile/K&N Filters
Starion Motorsports-Ford
#79: B.K. Glover (USA)/The Y/Dublin Bottling Works/Lenovo
Striker Motorsports-Chevrolet (formerly Polaris Motorsports)
#22: Jacob Descoteau (USA)/TBD/TBD/TBD
#84: Stephanie Porter-Kelley (BIH)/Alienware/Subway/Bethesda Softworks
Swift Autosport-TBD
Vodafone Racing Team Impulse-Alpine (formerly Impulse Racing)
#2: TBA (TBA)/Vodafone/Panasonic/Castrol Edge
#3: Sakura Ishibashi (JPN)/Vodafone/Samsung/Dairy Queen
#6: Tyler Parker (USA) (R)/Vodafone/TAG Heuer/Eli Lilly Pharmaceuticals
#12: TBA (TBA)/Vodafone/TBD/TBD
#24: TBD (TBD)/Vodafone

Free Agent Drivers In 2018 (those that have filled out the current form):
Aaron van der Linden @aarror
Alan Herrera @AJHG1000
Behrris Windross @NearCptNitro
Diego Jaramillo @Suzumiya
E.C. Gadget @ECGadget
Jacob Birmingham @vetteman24
Jerome Torres @Antares26
Jordan Fisher @Ph1sher
Kaylee Zappa @quietgirl
Michael White @Whitetail
Mohammad Ahmed @Smurfybug
Nii Aryeetey @GranTurismo916
Pedro Harsk @Harsk100
Ray Taylor @Eh Team
Ronald Walker @LITTLEBLACKO
Simon Bell @optiongamers
Stefan Montana @Luis Torres
Steven Gnash @Aesthetics
Thomas Rogers @tbwhhs
William Manor @Pezzarinho17

Teams in 2017 not confirmed for 2018:
Big Blue Motorsports @ukfan758
Sovereign Motorsports @YayoiGT2
Team Kate Upton @DurWinning

Are we able to re-edit our attributes at the beginning of the year?
You can, but the current form is meant to keep everyone from needing to.

I would like to go to any team, but preferrably Starion Motorsports, if possible. 👍
That would be up to the team owners involved. But good to see you still interested.

VRR released a list of unconfirmed teams and drivers for 2018, and on that list is a driver of high quality. Diego Jaramillo has kept his doors open for new options in 2018. Stephanie Porter-Kelley says the door is also still open for him to stay with the Orlando-based team. "Not much as far as negotiations have happened, but I'd certainly be willing to undergo those." Porter-Kelley said on Jaramillo's status. Jaramillo has several options available to him in 2018. Black Rose Racing, Cat Devil Racing, Impulse Racing, Cherokee GP, and Starion Motorsports have at least one open slot, and Porter-Kelley is assuming that other teams would be very willing to make room for what she believes is a championship-caliber driver.

Big Blue Motorsports has seen fantastic results from our driver, Mark Santos, and the team. We would like to announce that we are confirming our entry for the 2018 season. We would prefer to keep it a one car operation so we can maximize our resources.

Rainbow Road Racing has declared in interest in picking up some new drivers for 2018, being the sole Honda team which has now gone cost-effective sees this as a great way to get new entries in for the 2018 to both help the Honda brand which they're still dedicated to, as well as show the rookies the ropes for 2018.

Cat Devil Racing is leaving options open in 2018, wanting drivers to come to them for a seat instead of chasing after drivers, says Kunimitsu Kino****a. "There's no point in chasing after drivers that may not actually sign with you. Everyone knows what the team can do. We've won the Indianapolis 500 two years in a row, and are confident that we can get a third this year. If people want to win the biggest race in the world, they need to come through us." Kino****a confirmed the team wanted to retain @quietgirl and @GranTurismo916 but also said that they "could go wherever they wanted". The confidence Kino****a has is a farcry from the frustration of 2016. @RACECAR has already matched his 2016 podium count a third of the way in, and Kino****a stands within the top ten in points and a very viable threat for the 2017 VRR IndyCar World Championship.
Someone save this please for after Indy.

Eva
-Teams already in the series that expand can become eligible to receive a $1,000,000 grant for every additional full time car they enter. Standard team limit rules still apply, which means teams cannot field more than four full time entries and two part time entries in 2018.
Oh...I thought the bold bit had been called off. Not complaining, mind, as thinking it was gone I had a fear that two or three teams could/would sweep up 6-8 entries apiece.

Eva
You can, but the current form is meant to keep everyone from needing to.
Again, I thought they were set forever barring death. As bad as my pit crew is it may be worth looking into.

Also, @Eh Team has told me he's staying with Starion, I assume he'll need to confirm this himself?

I would like to go to any team, but preferrably Starion Motorsports, if possible. 👍
.............I.....have a REEEEAL hard time turning away people who want to join me. I won't jump the gun yet, but you are on the list to get a seat.

Cat Devil Racing is leaving options open in 2018, wanting drivers to come to them for a seat instead of chasing after drivers, says Kunimitsu Kino****a. "There's no point in chasing after drivers that may not actually sign with you. Everyone knows what the team can do. We've won the Indianapolis 500 two years in a row, and are confident that we can get a third this year. If people want to win the biggest race in the world, they need to come through us." Kino****a confirmed the team wanted to retain @quietgirl and @GranTurismo916 but also said that they "could go wherever they wanted". The confidence Kino****a has is a farcry from the frustration of 2016. @RACECAR has already matched his 2016 podium count a third of the way in, and Kino****a stands within the top ten in points and a very viable threat for the 2017 VRR IndyCar World Championship.
Someone save this please for after Indy.

Saved...not sure for what though.

I'll be blunt about this, if my team wasn't a factory effort I wouldn't be fretting over who would be my teammates. Simple as that, no excessive pressure means no stressing over it. Ray and Cliff have told me they'll return, and we have Slater running another blue oval, but that's three total to the almost guaranteed full 10 Ferrari and likely maxed Chevy will have, but unlike Honda who are fairly integral to the series structure, a Ford exec strait up told me they'll pull the plug if there's not enough demand, so in response...I'm stressin'. Ideally, Starion should be able to fly the flag itself, but we 'aint there yet. However, I also know we are not the cream of the crop, so aside from Ray I'm not at the point of committing to anyone...yet. But on that same note, I look at the free agent list and I cannot make an argument against any of them, save one, and even the two team owners who haven't said anything yet, del Prete and Ragus, would be great additions.

The Honda factor is something that can't be measured, and there's six drivers on that list I can point to and say "They could make the jump" so while I'm not ready to put 2018 in stone, I'll be happy when this clears out some.....but I do want a full four car shop.

I need to think more before I talk.

Blergh. So much life happening, so little time to think about this sort of stuff.

In short, since I hit post before I could type this out properly, Ray is staying with Starion and is receiving a sponsor update for 2018.

All stay 2017 the same for 2018
Added:
Tertiary: Folgers
Associate #?: Spence Diamonds
Associate #??: Mars & co bites

Last edited:
Blergh. So much life happening, so little time to think about this sort of stuff.

In short, since I hit post before I could type this out properly, Ray is staying with Starion and is receiving a sponsor update for 2018.

All stay 2017 the same for 2018
Added:
Tertiary: Folgers
Associate #?: Spence Diamonds
Associate #??: Mars & co bites
Everything OK?

Everything OK?

I got a job that has me out of the house more than 11 hours/day including commute and often darn near 12 hours. Then 2 weekends ago my girlfriend of nearly 5 years now got taken advantage of at a house party when she blacked out. A certain sponsor will tell you that I'm staying with her because she's great and I can't bring myself to throw 5 years down the drain for something she had not a single second of control over. Things are certainly tough here but I'm still trudging along.

I got a job that has me out of the house more than 11 hours/day including commute and often darn near 12 hours. Then 2 weekends ago my girlfriend of nearly 5 years now got taken advantage of at a house party when she blacked out. A certain sponsor will tell you that I'm staying with her because she's great and I can't bring myself to throw 5 years down the drain for something she had not a single second of control over. Things are certainly tough here but I'm still trudging along.

Damn. That's rough. But you're a good man for staying with it all instead of hiding or running.

Eva
Going to reiterate what I've said previously regarding 2018 so far.
-First three new teams for 2018 will be eligible for a $3,000,000 grant from VRR to get them off of the ground.
-2018 calendar set to be 28 races still, with marquee events such as Indianapolis, Monaco, Fontana, Michigan, and Pocono.
-2018 will see a open limit of potential full time entries. There is a potential of 50 full time entries with the engine rules taking effect limiting an engine supplier to only 10 full time entries.
-In 2018, the series will see a new title sponsor, as well as a new tire provider. Pirelli will take Firestone's place as the sole tire supplier starting in 2018.
-2018 thread opens on July 1st, 2017. Full list of free agents as well as confirmed teams and drivers will be included in the post opening.
-Honda will become the cost-effective engine in 2018 to remain competitive with Alpine, Chevrolet, Ferrari, and Ford.

Teams in 2018
Black Rose Racing-Ferrari
#7: Patrick Marcelli (ITA)/Go Daddy/Jack Daniel's/Coca-Cola
#8: Andrew Draco (USA)/Apple/In N Out Burger/Coca-Cola
#81: Nicole Liechti (SUI)/TE Connectivity/Tide/Coca-Cola
#82: TBD (TBD)/Rolex/TBD/Coca-Cola
TBD: TBD (TBD)/TBD
Cat Devil Racing-Ferrari
#15: TBD (TBD)/TBD
#16: TBD (TBD)/TBD/TBD/TBD
#17: TBD (TBD)/GoPro/TBD/TBD
#18: Kunimitsu Kino****a (JPN)/Sony/Okuma/Nikon
#19: Camyron Jackson (USA)/GameStop/Sony/Pepsi
Cherokee GP-Alpine (formerly Cherokee Motorsports)
#96: Ronald Hahn (DEU) (R)/Gulf Oil/Allianz/Royal Crown Cola
Ecurie Ecosse-Ford
#10: Gary Slater (SCO)/Johnnie Walker/Turn 10 Studios/twitch.tv
Eiffel Tower Racing-Alpine
#67: Jamie Ngaire-Jardine (NZL)/Boost Mobile/Pirtek/Fujitsu
#80: Astrid Krane (NOR) (R)/Bass Pro Shops/Red Bull/Old Spice
Equipa Chama Transatlantica-Chevrolet (formerly Team Christie Upton)
#30: Matheus Michelin (BRA)/TBD/TBD/TBD
#76: Nico Costa-Monteiro (POR)/Burger King/Namco-Bandai/Royal Purple
Perl Speed GP-Ferrari
#55: Ryan Perlstein (USA)/Amazon/Sabaton/Novitec
Rainbow Road Racing-Honda
#64: Kevin Ritter (AUS)/TBD/TBD/TBD
Scuderia Rabia Furiosa-Chevrolet
#11: Alex Rivera (LUX)/Target/T-Mobile/K&N Filters
Starion Motorsports-Ford
#79: B.K. Glover (USA)/The Y/Dublin Bottling Works/Lenovo
Striker Motorsports-Chevrolet (formerly Polaris Motorsports)
#22: Jacob Descoteau (USA)/TBD/TBD/TBD
#84: Stephanie Porter-Kelley (BIH)/Alienware/Subway/Bethesda Softworks
Swift Autosport-TBD
Vodafone Racing Team Impulse-Alpine (formerly Impulse Racing)
#2: TBA (TBA)/Vodafone/Panasonic/Castrol Edge
#3: Sakura Ishibashi (JPN)/Vodafone/Samsung/Dairy Queen
#6: Tyler Parker (USA) (R)/Vodafone/TAG Heuer/Eli Lilly Pharmaceuticals
#12: TBA (TBA)/Vodafone/TBD/TBD
#24: TBD (TBD)/Vodafone

Free Agent Drivers In 2018 (those that have filled out the current form):
Aaron van der Linden @aarror
Alan Herrera @AJHG1000
Behrris Windross @NearCptNitro
Diego Jaramillo @Suzumiya
E.C. Gadget @ECGadget
Jacob Birmingham @vetteman24
Jerome Torres @Antares26
Jordan Fisher @Ph1sher
Kaylee Zappa @quietgirl
Michael White @Whitetail
Mohammad Ahmed @Smurfybug
Nii Aryeetey @GranTurismo916
Pedro Harsk @Harsk100
Ray Taylor @Eh Team
Ronald Walker @LITTLEBLACKO
Simon Bell @optiongamers
Stefan Montana @Luis Torres
Steven Gnash @Aesthetics
Thomas Rogers @tbwhhs
William Manor @Pezzarinho17

Teams in 2017 not confirmed for 2018:
Big Blue Motorsports @ukfan758
Sovereign Motorsports @YayoiGT2
Team Kate Upton @DurWinning
Do i join a team or can i have my own team?

Do i join a team or can i have my own team?
You can have your own team if you are willing to deal with managing finances. If that doesn't sound like your style, teams can offer you seats.

I would like to have my own team
List of things to do to set up your team:
-Determine an original team name.
-Select an engine supplier for your team. Alpine and Ferrari are filled. Chevrolet, Ford and Honda are open.
-Determine if you want to run cost-effective rebadged engines.
-Determine how many cars you want to run, as well as car numbers.
-Determine what sponsors you want to be on your cars in the following format:

Car ##: Driver (Nationality abbreviation)
Primary Scheme: Runs most of the races in the season.
Secondary Scheme: Runs up to 10 races in the season:
Tertiary Scheme: Runs Indianapolis, Monaco, and Fontana.
Associate Sponsors: Can have up to 8 on your car.

You cannot use sponsors already reserved by other teams as scheme sponsors.

Back