[VRR][B-SPEC] 2017 Straight Talk IndyCar Series Season

• Thread starter Eva
  • 1,040 comments

What Sponsor Would You Want For 2018-2020?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes. It keeps people like me from trying to min/max the driver from year to year...which is why I'm having to think hard about what I can do to fix the 79 team because I don't remember everything, but I sure as hell know what the dump stats were.
There is also the hireable race engineers that boost some stats. I know it hasn't been spoken of much on here, but that is an option for teams.

With 2018 quickly approaching on the horizon, the newcomer to STICS finds itself with an uncertain stance on whether or not it will continue to commit full time to the series. When confronted by interviewers on the matter, team principal March Weston states, "Obviously, we are still very much onboard for the VRR endurance series coming up next year. Our Alfa-Romeo 8C GT3 is one of the biggest standouts in the field and there is no question about that. But we're still very unsure of what impact this would have on our Indy program. We're well-off for a team so new to the scene, but if worse comes to worse, we would be willing to put up our position in STICS up for bids."

@Eva

Well, better late than never getting these up before the biggest race of the year...

"I'm just... Hold on... God, It's like I can't even speak right now... Who in their right mind would've put money on me to get my first career win on a road course huh? First 15 laps or so I felt like I was just hanging on, holding steady and just managing the gap to the #37 (William Manor) while keeping the little three-car group behind me. Then at around Lap 19, the #77 Ray-Ban Special started to hook up and I was up to 5th when the caution came out. We made a few little adjustments when I came in for my only stop on Lap 21 and again, I just tried to keep my nose clean until everybody in front came in for their stops.

"Next thing I know I'm in second place running behind the #10 car (Gary Slater) with a bunch of faster cars breathing down my neck, so I took the first chance I could to get by him. After that it turned out to be smooth sailing but let me tell you, every straightaway I felt like I was tied to a fencepost out there and I couldn't relax until about 8 laps to go when I hear over the radio that the gap just increased to around 7 seconds out of nowhere...

"I got to thank Angie (Evangeline Porter) and Black Rose Racing Team for signing me back to a full-time deal, all of my sponsors for putting the money in that's needed to keep this ride going, Ferrari for doing their homework and making such an awesome package on these road courses, the crew... We did it guys! WOOOOO! *Unintelligible Yelling/Screaming*

"Well, it was looking like a pretty rough weekend until raceday. Our usual practice mileage got cut in half because of all sorts of electrical issues, so it felt like we were chasing the set-up all weekend and the #77 Ray-Ban Special was pretty 'Blegh' in qualifying. The morning warm-up was better and the boys & girls went to work with a few set-up changes to dial it in for the race.

"Considering that this race was supposed to be the longest in VRR Indycar history, I made a point to keep it steady in the first few laps; I knew that thing would really pick up when the sun went down and the lights turned on. I got to say, it was too bad seeing Alan (Herrera)'s engine blowing up and Steve (Gnash)'s car slowing to a halt with the same electrical problems that plagued our car this weekend... But anyway, I sticking with the plan, cycling through the stops and then the funniest thing happened: When I sneaked into the Top 10 on Lap 125 the car started to hook up on a lighter fuel load and before I know it I'm right behind the #66 (Jacob Descoteau) inching closer and closer to the lead pack.

"So on lap 157 I make my move: I take the high line, slingshot into 5th and even see the leader's back bumper pods while I'm thinking 'OK, I can get to Pat (Patrick Marcelli) before our next stop and lead this thing when it all cycles out'... And two laps later there's this monster of a wreck that blocks the whole front-stretch with some orange car doing pirouettes like it was a X-Games Freestyle competition or something, I'dunno. I'll tell you, I felt lucky being able to duck down into pit-lane instead of being able to cut across the grass. When I heard over the radio during the red flag that Nicole (Liechti) & Eva (Evangeline Porter)'s sister were involved... I'dunno, I got that feeling in my gut I had from Indy last year... Not the nicest sensation you can experience when you're strapped into one of these monsters.

"What ultimately sealed our fate was stopping right after the restart on Lap 163. It seemed like no matter what we did, the cards didn't fall our way and we just couldn't get that lap back from the leader. It felt really frustrating right at the end of the race when I was keeping up with the leader even though I was two full laps down by that point... I can't say that a 10th-place finish is really all that disappointing, but I felt like there could've been more to it than that..."

"Ah well... I need to rest up after such a long day and night. Indianapolis calls, you know?"

Black Rose Racing and Team Porter team owner, Eva Porter, has plenty of reasons to be happy heading to the Brickyard. Andrew Draco has two wins and sits 20 points ahead of Mark Santos in the World Championship. Rookies Nicole Liechti and Patrick Marcelli have earned podiums already, and Alan Herrera has remained consistent as he adjusts to being in a multi-car team. And despite failing to finish Kentucky, both Steven Gnash and E.C. Gadget had solid runs. "We've enjoyed a good amount of success so far this year," Porter said. "On paper it seems all over the place, but it's been a very solid effort from everyone trying to adjust and really survive at times. We've been unlucky in several regards, but we're very much championship contenders, which at the end of the year, will be worth its weight in gold. Indy is coming up. Andrew has always been very solid at Indy, and this year could very well be his year. We need to keep our heads down and focus on improving what's been lacking."

After coming off a strong run at Kentucky, Ecurie Ecosse driver Gary Slater has downplayed the improvements in his season. "Our season is working for us much better than it was last year but we're still lagging behind in crucial areas, especially in our qualifying performances," the Scot stated "Our race running is still a bit all over the place as we've been strong on some tracks but a lot weaker in others. We may be on the fringes of sneaking into the top 10 in the overall points standings, but it's still way too early to talk about worrying the big guns. With Indianapolis coming up, all the bigger teams will be coming out all guns blazing which has us concerned about our own chances in qualifying. Kentucky being a dusk to dark race helped us a lot with the cooler temperatures suiting the Audi unit better, enabling us to make it through the 600 miles, however I have doubts about the fierce summer heat that Indy will bring. We'll just have to wait and see."

2018 Update:

Stefan's personal life has turned around quite a bit but isn't quite satisfied. His racing career hasn't been the issue as of late, considered it as an escape from reality. Stefan also expects to either stay with his current team or join a new team as a refresher. Sources say Stefan was interested of joining a new team but may result of ending some partnerships.

His concern at this time is if the decision will end his alliance with Havoline.

A spokesperson said a few months ago:
"If Stefan doesn't get his attitude together to our liking, we'll have no choice but to drop him before season's end."

Months later, the spokesperson said:

"Depending on what he decides, we'll still drop him if he doesn't make a decision by the end of August. Stefan's personal life must change to our liking, otherwise it's us or nothing."

Stefan spoke about Havoline's comments:

"Havoline has helped me a lot to keep me around after the tobacco livery ban. It's a shame that personal things has ruined our relationship. Their concern should be about how I perform, not about what I'm going through at this time."

Sponsorship deals has yet to be determined but rumors suggested Pennzoil or a surprise deal may come along. Miller Genuine Draft is expected to return regardless of what team he'll run in 2018.

Announcement coming soon.

Last edited:
Indy 500 being uploaded to Mediafire now. Future race uploads will be determined once a permanent commentary solution can be made. Races will likely be skipped, the matter is which ones.

In what seems to be a very bold move for the young Irishman, Adrian Ragus has confirmed that a deal with Starion Motorsports is in the works for 2018. "I'm incredibly happy with how I've stacked up against the world-class drivers of the Indycar Series. A lot of people up and down the grid order have noticed my potential to be a great driver here, and to have a factory-supported team backing me would be the stuff of dreams," stated a very enthusiastic Ragus. However, the exact details regarding his move to Starion are still undergoing negotiations. A few critics suggest that Sovereign are wishing to make a quiet exit from the series next year, while others are more certain of a joint-effort between the two teams in ICS next season.

@Eva
@BKGlover

2017 has been a year of ups and downs for myself, but without a doubt working with my teammate Ray and with Sovereign and Adrian as engine allies, watching them fly the Blue Oval flag for the majority of the season so far. When Adrian came to me about the idea of joining the factory effort, there was no hesitation on my end. As he said, we'll be hammering out the details for 2018, but with him wanting to be here and us wanting him here, I don't see there being any issues.

The way I'm looking at it right now is the same way I've looked at the situation with Cliff, Ray, and the 43 team. Part of that staff is from Cliff's Standard crew, and if Cliff and Ray decided they'd be better served elsewhere or independently, they can do so without any negative repercussions. So, like the "Starion-Standard" effort I keep referring to, I expect there to be some autonomy to the team...a "Starion-Sovereign" effort...because lets face it, if he had motivation to run his own team, he's still gonna want some say in team operation.

Adrian brings us to a three-car in-house effort, but I'm not through yet. There's still a number of talented drivers still out there, and we have room for a full-time seat, maybe a part-time one too. I'm open to communication if anyone else wants in, otherwise we'll just wait and see what comes up.

@YayoiGT2 @Eva

Read the schedule, the next race is in Pensacola, my hometown :D

The way I interpret rule 2.1 is that people can register mid-season, and if that is incorrect, is there a different way of jumping in? I plan on joining 2018 season, but I'd like to get my feet wet in an active season.

Read the schedule, the next race is in Pensacola, my hometown :D

The way I interpret rule 2.1 is that people can register mid-season, and if that is incorrect, is there a different way of jumping in? I plan on joining 2018 season, but I'd like to get my feet wet in an active season.
Schedule is slightly out of date. Pensacola got replaced by Sonoma due to a track issue. As far as joining mid season, what I've run and what's on YouTube are very different. Ok YouTube, up to Kentucky has been posted due to conflicts with the commentary crew. Meanwhile I've run through to Sarajevo. If you want to join the series for the last 4 races, if you can find a ride, I'd be all for it.

Races planned to be uploaded with commentary (top priority)
Round 08: 2017 VRR Indianapolis 500/Indianapolis Motor Speedway/200 laps/14 May 2017
Round 10-11: Molson Indy Toronto/Exhibition Place/90 laps/10-11 June 2017
Round 12: Cheez It Indy Grand Prix of the Glen/Watkins Glen International/58 laps/18 June 2017
Round 13: Pepsi Indy 300/Kansas Speedway/200 laps/23 June 2017
Round 14: Chevrolet Indy 500/Michigan International Speedway/250 laps/09 July 2017
Round 15: Lipton Indy 250/Dover International Speedway/250 laps/16 July 2017
Round 16: Hershey's Indy 500/Pocono Raceway/200 laps/30 July 2017
Round 21: Audi Indy 300/EuroSpeedway Lausitzring/148 laps/24 September 2017
Round 22: Vodafone Indy Grand Prix of Masaryk/Automotodrom Brno/60 laps/08 October 2017
Round 23: Energopetrol Indy Grand Prix of Sarajevo/Sarajevo International Circuit/56 laps/22 October 2017
Round 24: Spotify Indy 250/Phoenix International Raceway/250 laps/04 November 2017
Round 25: Coca-Cola Indy Grand Prix of Alabama/Barber Motorsports Park/90 laps/11 November 2017
Round 26: 2017 VRR World Championship/Auto Club Speedway/250 laps/18 November 2017

The races not listed will hopefully make it to the channel without commentary in between the 2017 and 2018 seasons.

For everyone that wants to listen to the commentators only as they record commentary, Nas and Clayton will be doing a livestream in a few minutes on Nas' channel nascardude1400.

Indy 500 is being uploaded, but chances are it won't be available until tomorrow.

"All I'm going to say is whoever was driving the #15 and the #17 both need to get parked before they kill somebody. That was totally unacceptable driving out there, that crash ruined a lot of people's races and it was completely avoidable."

A potential thriller of a race was cut short for Swiss Miss, Nicole Liechti. Despite the second place start, as well as leading 7 laps, she would be caught up in the massive crash on lap 132 that would also take out the other Ferrari cars of Alan Herrera and E.C. Gadget. She held a lot of optimism entering the event, 18 years after her mother Rita won the event in 1999. But after the accident, her demeanor was that of dejection: "We had, I think, the car to beat today. Once Andrew was out of contention and Kunimitsu suffered that tire failure, I felt like we could slap the Honda cars around a lot. But once again, luck says otherwise, which is getting old at this point."

It seems these Indy engines are a little too loud for their own good... They tend to drown out the commentary more often than not, which is a bit annoying. But not as annoying as how my race went...

"I was expecting a bit more from the drivers here, but it seems some prefer to drive like their houses are on fire. Absolutely ridculous how I'm used as a brake by someone else who failed to pay attention to the slow cars in front, and equally ridiculous that people feel like bunching up so closely in a 3-lane-wide field. There's a reason why race stewards speak about keeping a distance from the cars around you, and that reason is lost in some. I hope penalties are rightfully handed out to those who caused the accident, because measures need to be taken.
It gets even more frustrating because we had a great car today. It was losing a bit of steam before the crash, but the engine was up there with the best. Shame the brakes in other cars were lacking..."

VRR Reporter: We're here in victory lane, waiting for Kunimitsu Kino****a to get out of her car. A lot of the team is here, from all of the cars, as Camyron Jackson leans in and says a couple of words to his boss. I think there's more composure in this 500 win for her. In 2015, there was emotion and pandemonium, whereas this year, she's taking her time and enjoying the moment...She's gotten her helmet off, and there's still sweat and tears on the face of the champ. As she gets out of her car, Kunimitsu Kino****a is now a two time Indianapolis 500 champion! As she has the wreath put around her, and gets the bottle of milk, Kuni, this makes it three years in a row that your team has won the biggest race in the world, twice with you directly. How can you describe this second time around?
Kunimitsu Kino****a: It's way different than the first time, that much is clear. You think about how bad 2015's race was, and how happy I was just to have not been involved in a crash. 2016, when we lost Henna, it was a rollercoaster of emotions, and there wasn't a lap that I wasn't thinking "if she was here..." There was the flat tire, and the big one, and we kept our heads down and kept pushing. This win means more to me than the last one, because so much has happened since then. Last year was a disaster, and now we're back in victory lane. Obviously this doesn't solve everything, but this is an amazing start. To have Camyron, Kaylee, and Nii on the podium as well, it's a sweeter feeling.
VRR Reporter: You've taken the lead of the World Championship, the first time since 2011 that you've been atop a points table. Moving forward, how do you take advantage of this momentum?
Kunimitsu Kino****a: It's going to be a grind. It's no secret that Honda doesn't have the longevity to keep a championship run together this year, so we'll claw at it like we always do.
Cat Devil Racing has decided, effective immediately, that it will no longer require Jacob Birmingham's services. The teams feels that this split will be better in the long run, as Birmingham's performances leading up to and including the Indianapolis 500 have been well below team standards. Fellow CDR team driver Kaylee Zappa will take his seat, beginning at Vancouver.

Ecurie Ecosse driver Gary Slater was clearly very angry at the driving standards during the early laps of the VRR Indy 500 after suffering an early exit when he got caught in the aftermath of a scary incident on the front straight. "I honestly have no clue what the hell everyone was playing at in those opening laps." The Scot said, "That is clearly not the time for doing reckless 3-wide moves with a field of 30 plus cars bunched up behind you at 230mph. Everyone really needs to rethink about how they give racing room, because that is not on."

tumblr_inline_nk37tsp09l1rpcnpz.gif

We were close! We were SO close, but again we got :censored:slapped by the hand of fate again! What did I do? Which deity did I 🤬 with for this to happen at every speedway race? How much do I have to sacrifice, $20 Billion, both kidneys, and an arm?

I don't get it. I worked my 🤬 off between seasons to be a better driver, and it's been for less than nothing. I see no improvement between performances last year and this year, it feels like I'm racing against 20 versions of Superman as opposed to just 10-15 last year.

There will be changes made to the 79 program, even if it's just reverting to type.

Alex Rivera : " Dang , We had such as fast car. I was just waiting till we got closer to the end there after that caution. We missed the first part of that wreck there but I got caught in the middle of cars coming back across the track. I feel like we could have been up there with Stefan at the end. I can't thank the team enough for the fast cars we brought here and for fixing my car up so we could collect good points."

Back